• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Only because everything got delayed to October. lol. Up in the air in how many titles next month will have

I hope Oct won't be packed with LRG titles for me. Another big month for purchases... (darn Amiami has also been killing my wallet each month :x)

NotMSRP

Maybe with ESRB rating left out on the cover they are missing out on money. Probably demand Sony to help them keep the fee racketeering going.
21949993_10213934356130369_2524033775629187135_o.jpg

You rate the game yourself and you pay them for a mandatory package defacement.

How ironic that the original Night Trap was one of the games that led to the creation of the ESRB and now LRG is being forced to include it on their packaging shortly after re-releasing Night Trap.

I can't say what they are other than those prices are not for the physical rating and are much, much higher.

Yikes. More expensive than $4000? That really cuts into your bottom line. What a bummer. Will this have an effect on the kinds of games you release? I imagine it’d be less worth it to print some of the ~3k runs like you have in the past :/

JDH

Can LRG make reversible covers, one with ESRB and one without? I think that may be a way to get around the ugly ESRB logos defacing the beautiful artwork.

hawk2025

Ugh, this sucks, sorry that you have to deal with this LRG :(

For what it's worth, I fully support raising all prices by $5 to cover ESRB fees.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sucks about the fees, but the ESRB logos don't bother me.

Ugh, this sucks, sorry that you have to deal with this LRG :(

For what it's worth, I fully support raising all prices by $5 to cover ESRB fees.

Would need to be proportionate to the run size though.
$5 extra on run of 3K is $15k extra. (can't be this much can it?)
$5 extra on 5K run is $25k extra.

Ventara

I just don't want to pay $55 USD +shipping for a Vita game, so I hope the prices stay the same. $10 flat extra on any game they have is already high.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Can LRG make reversible covers, one with ESRB and one without? I think that may be a way to get around the ugly ESRB logos defacing the beautiful artwork.

It definitely wouldn't be cheap to do it to each title, and thete's already a cost for the ratings on each title...

Ugh, ESRB let us have our fun! Even movies and tv shows aren't all rated by the same system (nor required to stick it on front of covers).

mollipen

Call me a weirdo, but I'm glad to see ESRB ratings come to the cover art—it makes the games more "real" to me even if that's nonsensical.

Is there a specific thread for LRG Trades ? Cards & games ?

I'd be up for one.
Both of you could possibly consult the Buy/Sell/Trade thread(s) in the 'Gaming Community' section or even the 'Trades' section on the official LRG forum. I can't vouch for the reliability of those circles as I've never participated in either of them, but they might be worth checking out for your commerce needs. A specific thread dedicated to Limited Run exchanges doesn't sound like it would hold up quite well on GAF. If anything, I suppose you could just make offers in this exact thread to see what happens before swapping details through PM and leaving appropriate feedback in the aforementioned 'Gaming' sub-section to help foster the B/S/T group. Heck, I'd like to heard some good reception myself on GAF trades as I have opened copies of Xeodrifter, Plague Road, Furi, Rez Infinite, Shadow Warrior Collection (SRG), Silver Case (PC), Night Trap and Super Meat Boy (PAL) that I'd like to take away from my shelves without having to fiddle with auction sites.

I hope Oct won't be packed with LRG titles for me. Another big month for purchases...
Agreed. Even ignoring all the holiday blockbusters and niche Japanese productions vying for a dollar, these next several months have a handful of notable digital indies, like Velocity and Axiom Verge, landing on disc for the first time on a Sony platform in the United States. Not to mention Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ and the Inside/Limbo compilation that just dropped within these past two weeks. Strictly Limited Games will kick off next month as a new limited pressing competitor, too.

What, I already bought their Silver Case LE. Why on earth would they expect me to buy it a second time.
NIS America have been somewhat unsavory when it comes to their bundles from certain developers. I know several Vita fans complained about Yomawari: Night Alone getting hit with an inflated price as a result of Nippon Ichi Software's former title, Firefly Diary, appearing on the same cartridge. The game's respective limited edition also came bundled with all the same extras as Firefly Diary's set minus the collector's box. As someone that missed out on the latter game, I was thrilled with a chance to grab two for the price of one; however, I understand it was a bummer for hardcore handheld collectors out in the wild. This bundle definitely takes it to another whole level assuming a stand-alone offer for 25th Ward LE never surfaces on their store. I'm guessing they're attempting to shift unsold stock of the former game into Suda super-fans. If the forced bundle comes with a newly printed version of Silver Case that fixes some issues that kept the bonus chapters unlocking then that would be interesting.

Will this have an effect on the kinds of games you release? I imagine it'd be less worth it to print some of the ~3k runs like you have in the past :/
Although the cover art requirements are the sole change for the moment, LRG claims the cost could potentially hurt themselves, developers and the frequency of their releases. They're now subject to "ridiculous fines that could kill the company or at the very least a release." I'm somewhat curious whether the Deemo sticker situation tipped off the existence of the company to ESRB who proceeded to lay down their authority in an effort to bleed more money into their restrictive ocean.

Call me a weirdo, but I'm glad to see ESRB ratings come to the cover art—it makes the games more "real" to me even if that's nonsensical.
Honestly, I'm also totally fine with ESRB ratings. They've been on everything in the States for well over twenty years and logos aren't anywhere as obnoxious compared to some certifications in PAL territories. Doubt we'll see many reversible covers as I recall LRG fussing about the cost in the past, but the minimalist approach was a nice ride while it lasted.

i-Jest

End of an Era but I'm fine with the change overall. It won't demotivate me to still try my hand at Salt & Sanctuary, Cosmic Star Heroine, or Battle Princess Madelyne, among others.

Clive

The main change is thousands of dollars less in the pockets of LRG and indie devs for every single release from what I understand plus they are more or less no longer allowed to release physical copies within 90 days of their original digital launch, unless they want to pay even more. Anyone should be able to live with, or without, that small logo in the bottom left corner but forced delays and every release costing thousands of dollars extra is a big deal.

It also likely adds a lot of work for both LRG and the indie devs getting these more elaborate physical ratings plus existing contracts might need to be seen over.

The main change is thousands of dollars less in the pockets of LRG and indie devs for every single release from what I understand plus they are more or less no longer allowed to release physical copies within 90 days of their original digital launch, unless they want to pay even more.

The cash grab is totally lame, but I'm actually okay with waiting 90 days. I thought one of the original points for these games was to have the *most complete* version on disc in regards to patches. I would've been a little peeved if a game like... Cosmic Star Heroine had gotten a physical release at launch, because it was rather buggy. Heck, I was even a little peeved when I found out Wonder Boy had a meaty update waiting for it when I popped in my CE.

Absolute Zen is a skip for me. The only racers I'm really interested in these days are Mario Kart or Arcade style.

Top Bottom