• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Link's Awakening Switch remake is out September 20th

TLZ

Banned
WHY did they had to choose so stupid and childish art style :(

I dislike it so much that not going to buy it. Looks like some cheap flash browser game or something in those chinese 100 in 1 handhelds
Cmon bro. Look at it this way; you're either stuck with playing the original, which obviously looks old and means you need a Gameboy color and the game, and God knows how much they cost, or you play the much better looking updated and modern version, which is this, on a bigger and better screen, or TV!

Bryank75

Banned
Buying my own Switch now, it was Pokemon that really did it for me but there seems to be a lot of games coming that really interest me. My sons one is all grubby from his little child hands anyway!

I heard GiantBomb saying the framerate in the outdoors areas suffer in this game.

I have not seen it in the Treehouse but I am not playing it, I am starting to wonder if Nintendo started to optimise games for a Switch Pro
if this game has framerate issues.

-Minsc-

Game definitely looks cool.

When thinking of the visual style the idea of a Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars remake popped into my head. Am I foolish to think this? Nintendo and Square-Enix, cozy up more.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

F7SobQd.jpg

Pejo

I absolutely hate the art style, but I'll be picking this up day 1 regardless. I'll take any 2(.5)D Zelda games that I can get my greedy hands on. This was a perfect opportunity to bring Windwaker art back and make Toon Link relevant again, but alas, we got this crap.

T_LVPL

just Preordered the European Limited Gameboy steelbook/artbook pack even though i don’t even own a Switch yet. holding out for a Switch Pro. such a phenomenal limited edition i didn’t want to miss out, here.

Maximilion and his friends has impressions from the games they played at E3 this morning, Link's Awakening being one since it's Simmons favorite game.

He said it was pretty 1:1 remake, the create your own dungeon guy was the only thing new/different he found, didn't notice any dialogue changes.
Cosmetic improvements like buildings being more distinct looking from each other inside.
The game now loads the entire overworld, so no screen transitions like other 2D Zelda's. You can even spot endgame areas/enemies at the beginning.
Obvious QOL improvements thanks to more buttons and better visual indicators.

Loading the entire overworld comes at a price. While the game is 60FPS in buildings and dungeons, the demo was struggling to even maintain 30FPS in the overworld.
Demo had no d-pad support for movement, which made no sense as it was still 8 way movement like the original and not 360 movement like A Link Between World's. He said something else about controls feeling worse but I missed what he said.
Not sure if glitch or intentional, but when he went into the mysterious woods there was no music. He left and it transitioned back into the village music, and he reentered and it cut off again.

Cmon bro. Look at it this way; you're either stuck with playing the original, which obviously looks old and means you need a Gameboy color and the game, and God knows how much they cost, or you play the much better looking updated and modern version, which is this, on a bigger and better screen, or TV!
It's on 3DS eShop for 6$.

TLZ

Banned
Maximilion and his friends has impressions from the games they played at E3 this morning, Link's Awakening being one since it's Simmons favorite game.

He said it was pretty 1:1 remake, the create your own dungeon guy was the only thing new/different he found, didn't notice any dialogue changes.
Cosmetic improvements like buildings being more distinct looking from each other inside.
The game now loads the entire overworld, so no screen transitions like other 2D Zelda's. You can even spot endgame areas/enemies at the beginning.
Obvious QOL improvements thanks to more buttons and better visual indicators.

Loading the entire overworld comes at a price. While the game is 60FPS in buildings and dungeons, the demo was struggling to even maintain 30FPS in the overworld.
Demo had no d-pad support for movement, which made no sense as it was still 8 way movement like the original and not 360 movement like A Link Between World's. He said something else about controls feeling worse but I missed what he said.
Not sure if glitch or intentional, but when he went into the mysterious woods there was no music. He left and it transitioned back into the village music, and he reentered and it cut off again.

It's on 3DS eShop for 6$.
Oh..

Well it's still an old game and I'd take this one over it :p

I hated the 1st trailler. That one looks really, really better. Anyway, this game is a must play. It's the best (or among the best depending on how you rate the capcom games) 2d Zelda ever. And for once, the story is ok.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i always heard about this game. it is legendary. but once i got rid of my Gameboy, i could never convince myself to emulate Gameboy games. so i missed out on the original.

this looks really cool. i loved the concept of A Link Between Worlds, but ALTTP is my most-played Zelda ever, i really didn't want to deal with that world again. this will be fresh and new to me. yet based on a classic design. perfect.

graphics look so nice. i love that art style, it reminds me of claymation or something. first top-down console Zelda since SNES? yes please.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Don't get your hopes up too much on the custom dungeon mode, it looks like all you can do is arrange already-made rooms from the game in any order you want. That's still cool, but don't expect to be placing blocks or designing puzzles.

JCK75

God I want this so bad, I loved this on gameboy , I think I played it again when the colored version came out on the GBC, but I have not played it since and I was thinking about the game a lot before they announced it and how much I'd like to play it again. It looks so amazing.

Murr

I wish this was out today!
Limited Edition up on bol.com for you Dutchies.
If there is anything i hate about Nintendo products, then it is the hunt for limited or even not limited physical products.
Give me at least a chance to buy the product please :messenger_sad_relieved:

Ulysses 31

I wish this was out today!

If there is anything i hate about Nintendo products, then it is the hunt for limited or even not limited physical products.
Give me at least a chance to buy the product please :messenger_sad_relieved:
Still hasn't gone up on any of the european amazons that I know off. :lollipop_grinning:

Vawn

Banned
I absolutely hate the art style, but I'll be picking this up day 1 regardless. I'll take any 2(.5)D Zelda games that I can get my greedy hands on. This was a perfect opportunity to bring Windwaker art back and make Toon Link relevant again, but alas, we got this crap.

This Link isn't Toon Link though. I like this art.

I'm all for a Windwaker sequel though.

Bolivar687

Banned
I like the look but I don't want to spend this money on one game.

I'm tired of getting burned on Nintendo platforms.

Pejo

This Link isn't Toon Link though. I like this art.

I'm all for a Windwaker sequel though.
I thought in that timeline doc that Nintendo released that LA's Link was the same as WW Link? I'm probably wrong, I was going off of memory.

I will agree that a WW sequel is long overdue.

MagnesG

Banned
I like the look but I don't want to spend this money on one game.

I'm tired of getting burned on Nintendo platforms.
You could always bought a used one then sell it later you know, if that's viable. Always done that years before, never lost that much money because of their maintained prices, even most games.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
really looking forward to this. they should do a Labo VR version. it would be like a new 3DS game lol.

the graphics look really nice. like clay mation, with simple shapes for characters, but a very colorful and detailed world. 30fps overworld does not bother me, it only makes it more cinematic. i would rather have the higher quality image than 60fps tbh. when the Switch Pro comes out i will give it a replay at 60fps ;-p

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
One of the best games that i have the pleasure to play in my life.

I love links awakening , was my childhood game in elementary school period.

Where i can pre-order the limited edition?

Marin looks so cute, my favorite female in Zelda Games.

latest

213px-LANS_Marin_Render.png

Last edited:

Andyliini

Boxart looks cool, should stand out well from shelves, too. Hopefully this game does well, there's much more that can be done with this artstyle.

Shaqazooloo

Never played the original so I guess this would be a good chance for me. I like the look and all but Link himself creeps me out, I think it's the eyes thats got me spooked. Game overall looks good from what i've seen, hopefully it doesn't take too long to complete.

Top Bottom