• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linus reviews The Steam Deck

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Some of you nerds never saw a Sega Genesis Nomad. This shit ain't even that big. And no, that's not what she said.

Jon Hamm Yes GIF

I honestly don't know what to think. I've had it on pre-order since July - think I am due to get it in Q2 2022 - that screen looks SO dull.

GymWolf

People complaining about the size make me laugh.

Unless you're a kid who the hell is actually playing games outside their own home?
Since people in here rips their hairs off for switch portability, i guess more than you imagine...

KiteGr

I'm waiting mine "after Q2 of 2022", so by the time I'll get it 3 years from now, the emulation community would have cooked some awesome "all in one" frontend like batocera.

chixdiggit

I still don’t understand who this is for.

I mean unless you’re constantly traveling or you‘re significantly space-constrained in your apartment, you can get a more powerful conventional console with probably less money.

Dude, if you're inside your home use your fucking computer...

I can play Steam Deck on my couch while watching Always Sunny.
I can play Steam Deck on the patio while chatting with my wife.
I can access my whole Steam Library while stuck in a hotel.
I can access Game Pass on the toilet.

Erebus

To each their own but I think these are pretty trivial reasons for most people to invest in a $400+ device, unless you got money to burn or you're a gadget lover that is. Not to mention that you can do most of this stuff with Steam Remote Play and a tablet/mobile phone that you already own.

All I'm saying is that Steam Deck looks like a niche product in my eyes.

To each their own but I think these are pretty trivial reasons for most people to invest in a $400+ device, unless you got money to burn or you're a gadget lover that is. Not to mention that you can do most of this stuff with Steam Remote Play and a tablet/mobile phone that you already own.

It is a niche product, but no one said it wasn’t, not even Valve.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

That's streaming though. Nobody wants that.

lucius

The specs and performance seem great but the screen colors always seemed a bit off or dull, I think I rather have an Odin Pro right now for cheaper then Steamdeck later. It destroys Switch performance but that OLED in handheld is something .

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The only thing I am disappointed with is the color performance. Seemed kind of poor, but he says it still looks great so cool. Surprised to hear the speakers are great, as that's usually one thing manufacturers cheap on. Battery life is whatever, I really wasn't expecting much there.

I can't wait for mine to ship. In the first group. Also thanks OP for putting me onto this channel, probably the best no nonsense hardware review I've watched in years.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'm waiting for GN to do a software analysis. I'm still pretty excited. It's not as big as I was thinking it would be, but that's OK. I like a heavy controller.

I'd also love if/when someone mods this to use as a wii u emulator game pad. I'll replay Xeno X with this.
I'll probably only use this around the house.l, so battery life isn't a concern. Seems to be about the same as the OG switch, which was fine.

I'll also use this as a general IOT device. Might install git and vscode for the lulz.

Last edited:
Top Bottom