• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linus Tech Tips - Xbox One X vs. PS4 Pro vs. $500 PC

JP

No real surprises here, I am glad that they picked up on the shimmering in Forza 7 though. They do seem happy with the console and although I don't have a $500 PC, what they found lines up with what I've found as a happy owner of both "enhanced" consoles.

Xbox One X vs. PS4 Pro vs. $500 PC (11.22)

I did spot an error in the part about Dolby Atmos, although it will probably become accurate at some point.

EDIT:
Oops, it's probably a good idea to avoid the YouTube comments.

synce

This kind of comparison is nonsensical. It should be PS4 vs Xbone vs a $500 GPU since you're just comparing graphics in games. Virtually every other PC component you bought 10 years ago will hold up today against these consoles

solis74

No real surprises here, I am glad that they picked up on the shimmering in Forza 7 though. They do seem happy with the console and although I don't have a $500 PC, what they found lines up with what I've found as a happy owner of both "enhanced" consoles.

Xbox One X vs. PS4 Pro vs. $500 PC (11.22)

I did spot an error in the part about Dolby Atmos, although it will probably become accurate at some point.

EDIT:
Oops, it's probably a good idea to avoid the YouTube comments.

cool

This kind of comparison is nonsensical. It should be PS4 vs Xbone vs a $500 GPU since you're just comparing graphics in games. Virtually every other PC component you bought 10 years ago will hold up today against these consoles

Yeah, and their findings are BS. Dude said they were getting 45fps forza 7 at 4K on a 1050ti. That’s not even close to being true given my findings with my modest 1060 3GB. I can’t even hold a solid 60 at 1440p so how is a card that’s 33% or more less powerful going to run at 2x the resolution and frame rates in the same ball park?

No one will ever be happy with these comparisons. You say $500 GPU. Someone else says operating system. Then it's controllers, keyboards Xbox Live/Plus.

Comparing a box to another box is the best compromise.

They also anticipated these arguments and address them.

Then just avoid the damn topic. What the fuck is the point of this awkward thread shitting?

I’m sorry you’re offended.

GAF threads used to consist of more than just a YT link, like a short paraphrase or blurb of information and a link to the source.
It’s not much to ask for, is it?

mad597

Banned
lol $500 gaming pc....if you want a decent pc you're gonna spend more than the price of an XB1X, simple as that.

But pc gamers say pc gaming is cheaper? Also every sony gamer alresdy has a monster pc rig they pull out of their ass when ever dealing wotj lower quality IQ. So obvisouly sony gamers always win.

JP

GAF threads used to consist of more than just a YT link, like a short paraphrase or blurb of information and a link to the source.
If you need more information than I've included then all you have to do is watch the video, a video which is how they make a living. I'm not posting something that is going to encourage people to not watch the video that they've created.

If you don't have any interest in watching the video, ignore it.

Ecto311

lol $500 gaming pc....if you want a decent pc you're gonna spend more than the price of an XB1X, simple as that.

But that's not the point. It's more of a hey I have 500 to spend what should I do.

I'm happy with my 1060 and it runs Oculus really well too. I did luck out and get the 2500k a long time ago and it's been kicking ass even with no overclock for like 8 years at this point.

These types of comments are hilarious. As if GAF used to be a utopian message board with nothing, but OT quality OPs in every thread. Complete with civil discourse and zero fan boy or troll posts.

Truth is old GAF and new GAF are exactly the same just with fewer people.

mad597

Banned
These types of comments are hilarious. As if GAF used to be a utopian message board with nothing, but OT quality OPs in every thread. Complete with civil discourse and zero fan boy or troll posts.

Truth is old GAF and new GAF are exactly the same just with fewer people.

Yea if anything new gaf is less bias with sony mods gone

Ubername

Banned
If you buy used $500 will get you a very respectable gaming pc. You only need cutting edge if you max at high resolutions.

Yeah I guess so but you're gonna have to be bargain-huntin like a mofo. A PC also does a shitload more than a console so I think the whole comparison is stupid.

belmonkey

Thus far I've gotten the impression that a Gtx 1060 6gb is not too far off from an X1X in GPu power. A 1050ti is quite a ways off, but it will be interesting to see how the Volta replacement will measure up.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
What a stupid video, he doesent even list the pc components and there cost.....and no details of settings, resolution and FPS...

kevm3

But pc gamers say pc gaming is cheaper? Also every sony gamer alresdy has a monster pc rig they pull out of their ass when ever dealing wotj lower quality IQ. So obvisouly sony gamers always win.

Pc Gaming is cheaper in terms of game prices due to the constant sales and the free online play, not in terms of hardware. You were always going to pay more for PC hardware.

Cramoss

The argument is that pc gaming CAN be cheaper in the long run

Aeson

Neo Member
Pc Gaming is cheaper in terms of game prices due to the constant sales and the free online play, not in terms of hardware. You were always going to pay more for PC hardware.

Not only that, but people fail to realise that while the initial price tag is steep, upgrade just your graphics card down the line for the price of a console is substantial.

LordOfChaos

Full credit to it, it's definitely a lot more GPU than you could get for 500 (especially in this mining market, but even without that).

But also a lot less CPU than the most baseline modern i3 or Pentium equivalent. Games are tailored to them so it matters a bit less, but it still means a lot of 30fps, when a Kaby Lake i3 can run most of those games at 60 at least. And especially now that 8th gen i3s are quad core.

kevm3

How I look at it is buy a ps4/pro if you like the Sony exclusives. Buy a pc or xbox one s depending on where the majority of your friends are for multiplats and whether or not you want to deal with what comes with getting a better experience on pc. You'll have to pay for that experience, but if you want the highest fps, things like 144hz gaming, etc., you'll have to go to pc. If you want the most hassle free into 4k/60fps, then the one s may be the way to go.

Full credit to it, it's definitely a lot more GPU than you could get for 500 (especially in this mining market, but even without that).

But also a lot less CPU than the most baseline modern i3 or Pentium equivalent. Games are tailored to them so it matters a bit less, but it still means a lot of 30fps, when a Kaby Lake i3 can run most of those games at 60 at least. And especially now that 8th gen i3s are quad core.

I just bought a 1070 ti for 450 bucks.

Is the X more powerful than a 1070 ti?

bigace33

You can easily find a 1080 for $450-500. Cudos to the X though. At $500 that thing is a beast.

LordRaptor

GAF has really gone down the toilet. It’s a shame.

You say that, but this same topic on Recettear has already gone full retard with the usual dumbfuck console warrior nonsense.
Includes such hoary old favorites as:
- "I used to be a big PC gamer, but that one game I got dropped frames at maximum quality settings in made me go back to consoles where every game has dropped frames and much lower than pc maximum quality settings"
- "I happily pay an online fee because all pc games are unplayable because of cheats, and I get all these free games that pc gamers never get that makes it all worthwhile please never follow gog steam or humble"
- "I cant play pc games because pc has no exclusives, and anything worth playing definitely always comes to consoles, and also pc master race are literally the worst people in the world and I cannot bring myself to associate with them"
AND MANY, MANY MORE!

Krisprolls

Banned
For $500, no PC can get close to a X1X.

As it should, since MS makes money on Live subscriptions and PC parts makers don't.

A good gamer PC is €1200 here in Europe... That's not even close.

Video card prices are absurd.

No way a PC pricepoint match would do well.

For just parts, you can match it quite easily, but then you've still gotta buy a cheap KB/M, and Windows (unless you like the watermark on the unverified version). So that's an extra say, £20-£30ish. Though, there's also some ADATA RAM that goes on sale regularly for like £40 for an 8Gb stick that'd almost balance that out.

dpscb7ewsauigxc.jpglaprymu.jpg

That's not to say the X1X is bad value, because it's really not bad value at all. It's expensive for a console, but for what it offers, it's damn good value if you plan to take advantage of all it has to offer.
I also wouldn't recommend even buying those parts and building that PC as an alternative, because frankly, if you want a gaming PC for £450/$500, you'd be much better served by going for second hand parts, but the new/used price comparisons is completely unfair.

bigace33

...Then a 500 dollar PC. As in the topic, and the follow up comment saying the CPU would be better though. Obviously a 500 dollar video card is better.
Yeah, there is no way a $500 PC can do what the X1X can do. Lol I wouldn't even want to game on a $500 pc. For what it offers, the X1X is nothing short of amazing. I think I saw videos where it ran neck and neck with even some monster PC builds in certain games. If I didn't have my current PC I would be all over the X.

Senua

Yeah, there is no way a $500 PC can do what the X1X can do. Lol I wouldn't even want to game on a $500 pc. For what it offers, the X1X is nothing short of amazing. I think I saw videos where it ran neck and neck with even some monster PC builds in certain games. If I didn't have my current PC I would be all over the X.

I can guarantee that those games were maxed out on PC, when of course console games are usually medium settings. 1080 TI shits all over the X, it doesn't even come close.

For $500, no PC can get close to a X1X.

As it should, since MS makes money on Live subscriptions and PC parts makers don't.

A good gamer PC is €1200 here in Europe... That's not even close.

You can buy a really nice R5 1600 and stack it into a cheap B350 or x370 motherboard, but yeah, RAM prices are absolute shit right now and videocard prices are still on the inflated side thanks to cryptocurrency mining. I don;t think it is possible to build a good PC at the 500 dollar range at the moment.

Trogdor1123

For just parts, you can match it quite easily, but then you've still gotta buy a cheap KB/M, and Windows (unless you like the watermark on the unverified version). So that's an extra say, £20-£30ish. Though, there's also some ADATA RAM that goes on sale regularly for like £40 for an 8Gb stick that'd almost balance that out.

That's not to say the X1X is bad value, because it's really not bad value at all. It's expensive for a console, but for what it offers, it's damn good value if you plan to take advantage of all it has to offer.
I also wouldn't recommend even buying those parts and building that PC as an alternative, because frankly, if you want a gaming PC for £450/$500, you'd be much better served by going for second hand parts, but the new/used price comparisons is completely unfair.
Is that miss an HDD and an optical drive and a controller? I was able to double check as I'm on mobile. I agree with your general argument though.

As a pro owner, I'm jealous of the x. Only for the BC but still, Sony really needs to get on that.

bigace33

I can guarantee that those games were maxed out on PC, when of course console games are usually medium settings. 1080 TI shits all over the X, it doesn't even come close.
No doubt, my 1080 is way out of the X1X league, but that still doesn't discredit the value of the X. My card alone cost $480.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

A 1080ti better shit over a console that costs $250 less than just the GPU in a PC alone.

Top Bottom