• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linus Tech - Xbox's decision to allow Xbox One controllers on the Series X/S is a 'game changer' for him

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm leaning more towards "not sure how I feel" than "it's bullshit" now. I went off about it in a thread like a month ago but someone pointed out that DualSense technically does have a new input in the form of a built-in microphone array. So you could make the argument that PS5 games aren't playable with a DS4, even though it's unlikely many would even require a microphone to be plugged in. Sackboy's big adventure will probably require you to blow into the microphone at some point to sail a boat or something.

Adaptive triggers are an interesting one too - Insomniac already confirmed that in Ratchet & Clank, the shotgun does a single blast when you pull the trigger halfway, and then a full blast when you finish pressing the trigger down. Now, could that same motion be replicated, albeit with more difficulty, on a DS4? Hard to say, but probably.

Restricting it because of HD rumble is still total bullshit, though. But with the above reasons in mind, I'm kind of starting to come around, even if they definitely could just add support and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I agree with Linus but I also think MS should have been selling the new controllers now since they are universal.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Agree with him in principle but game changer is too strong of a word. I would actually like a sku that is $50 bucks less and doesn't include a controller in the box.. but I that's just me. I have had to buy 2 separate pairs of joy cons because of really bad drift. I should probably watch some YouTube videos on how to repair them.

Ellery

Good for him and people that like/want this. It is more about personal preference and less about objectively good/bad I think.

I want a new Controller with my PS5 and I think the DualSense looks to be spectacular. New generations get me excited.

Allandor

Well, he has a point.
For single-player games I understand that the new features are needed for some games. But well, with couch-multiplayer it is really annoying that you need more of the newer controllers.
At least you could play together on switch with games like mario cart but ... well it wasn't good with those small joy cons.

Man, those PS3 games with crazy amounts of Sixaxis requirements are such classics now.
That's what happens to most features of new controllers.

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

Besides games, which are better played with a dpad than analog stick, the Xbox One controller is nearly perfect. Big step over the 360 controller, which was already pretty good.

Controllers are not cheap. Playing sports and coop games from time to time with friends, makes it much cheaper in the long run. And in most games, you don't need fancy features.

Relativ9

The only local multiplayer game I think I've played in the last 10 years is fighting games (Tekken, MK) and then usually only 2-player. Linus has a valid point that it'd be nice if Sony supported Dualshock controllers and just disabled the advanced stuff, but at the same time, one extra controller isn't going to break the bank and I kind of get that they have to make the loss on the HW back somewhere.

Allandor

Linus is a PC gamer. Not falling for this bait.

Plus....

Nintendo Switch = $299.99
Extra controllers = $400.00????
extra joy-con 79€, extra pro-controller 70-79€
and still not able to play all games with 4 players (e.g. family games). So another joy-con or pro controller needed.

And some games aren't even working with the pro-controller ...

Well I hoped that MS did already did this with xb360 controllers, but well ... didn't happen. Good that it now happens.
Besides, after I had used the xbox one controller, the xb360 controller no longer feels good in my hands anymore.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Old controller to play old games.

Makes sense.

I'd like to know since when new things, new technology and innovation were bad things. At some point old hardware needs to be retired. Whether that's controllers or hardware systems.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Totally makes sense in this context here...comparing PS3 games to one of Sony’s biggest marketing points going into PS5. Sure.

Nah it's a perfect comparison. The Sixaxis was supposed to be the next generation of controller tech and rumble was a "past gen feature" (because Sony was being sued over it). In truth, stuff like that is a gimmick bullet-point hype point on a launch press release and is quickly forgotten.

DaGwaphics

The Switch point is a great one since Nintendo charges $80 for Joy-Cons. And he explains it perfectly that there's no excuse now that controllers are bluetooth to lock out a past-gen controller on a new system.

I'll ignore the fact the BT is just for PC connectivity on xbox pads, carry on.

Kuranghi

Totally unrelated to this but lately I've been thinking, Linus is a bit of a wally when it comes to the things he isn't an expert in. He should not talk about console gaming or TVs lol.

$700 for a Switch + 3 extra controllers? I guess if you like throwing money away. You can buy 3rd party switch controllers for like £20/$30. So more like $400 if you can stomach non-1st party controllers. If not then its ~$550.

OHH FFS I just realised he is in Canadia. Disregard the price talk. Its still stupid reasoning from him though because if you have friends who are into Smash Bros local co-op they are going to have their own Switch as well, which come with joy cons:

"I can't wait for the new Smash Bros, Fred!"
"Yeah, Jeff! Lets only one of us buy a Switch and then only one of us can practice when we aren't together!"
*Fred snaps fingers*

The TVs thing I mentioned:

First week: "This LG OLED is the ultimate gaming TV because of per pixel dimming/perfect blacks!"

The following week: "Samsung QLED is the ultimate gaming TV because of its high brightness, forget that it has ~x-hundred dimming zones, only brightness matters for gaming!"

The 3rd week: "This may be the perfect gaming display... *shows $5000 BFGD*"

I just want to say oh fuck off when I see the video titles sometimes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Man, those PS3 games with crazy amounts of Sixaxis requirements are such classics now.
Hey! at least 2 people enjoyed Lair!

On topic Ninja edit: It would be nice to have the ability to use older DS4's where possible, but choosing it as a 'game changer' is over egging it a bit. Having said that, if Sony comes in hot on price, they're gonna need the revenue from accessories.

Personally, like many others have said, new gen, new controllers, it's been that was for years and I don't really mind myself.

Last edited:

martino

lol at people pretending all games will use the features in meaningful way to the point you can't play the game without them
Especially dual sense, i don't see a reason it would not be replaceable with simpler vibrations (most games will have them for xbox) or can be disabled for some (possibly medical) reasons (at your loss if it's so great)
i don't see the current excuse seen here 'game would not be the same' to last long if games themselves offer you the option to disable it (like for vibrations)

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
And to that point, we can use a DS4 to play PS4 games on the PS5...

So then what's the problem?

New consoles come with a new controller in the box do they not?

If you need multiple new controllers then bundles also tend to be available so you can get a discount.

FranXico

So then what's the problem?

New consoles come with a new controller in the box do they not?

If you need multiple new controllers then bundles also tend to be available so you can get a discount.
Linus needs to sell Microsoft soap, I guess?

Rob_27

I suppose it all depends how much these Dual Sense things are going to cost.. if you have one PS5 and you need 3-4 more controllers for the kids.. well thats nearly as much as a XSS ?

Old controller to play old games.

Makes sense.

I'd like to know since when new things, new technology and innovation were bad things. At some point old hardware needs to be retired. Whether that's controllers or hardware systems.

What is so new and innovative about the Xbox 360, Xbox One and Xbox One X controllers that each new xbox console should drop support for the previous controller iteration?

What is so new and innovative about the Wii Pro, WiiU Pro and the Switch Pro controllers that that each new Nintendo console should drop support for the previous controller iteration?

Cause from where I'm standing, each controller is practically the same and the only reason they wouldn't be compatible is greed.

Most of the time, even when there is a slight difference, it's gimmicks that you don't even need to play 99% of the available games. See the SixAxis controller.

Last edited:

YCoCg

It does make sense when most of the controllers basic functions are pretty much the same, this isn't the older generations anymore when controllers were only £30 and cheaper knock offs were £15-20. It can be annoying if there larger multiplayer games and local games that you can't play because the game NEEDS the latest controller for some dumb reason and you don't happen to have a few spare £60+ controllers around. On the Switch we sometimes fall back to using our old GameCube controllers through a USB adaptor and that works great.

teezzy

Banned
Agreeed, being able to have my friends over and play some hockey or Soul Calibur and not have to shell out for an extra controller is a huge decision making factor for me.

The DualSense actually being a new controller with new features and interesting tech is a game changer but you do you Linus....

oQHUHGR.gif

GODbody

It's a bit concerning that some of you are okay with your old controllers becoming obsolete. The DualSense still has pretty much the same button layout as the DualShock. Adaptive triggers and fancy vibration are not game changing features, they're gimmicks just like the touchpad and the gyroscope. There's really only 1 reason that you cannot use the DS4 on the PS5 and that is so $ony can sell you new controllers.

Top Bottom