• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linus Tech - Xbox's decision to allow Xbox One controllers on the Series X/S is a 'game changer' for him

TTOOLL

Pretty good but how many controllers do you actually need?

Edit: Sony could support the DS4 too, but it's not a deal breaker. It fits Microsoft's strategy though.

Last edited:
'Fuck the environment, I've got an Xbox', I think it's a good slogan. /JK
I know you're joking but this is such a stupid argument.

I can take my re-chargeable batteries from my current controller (XBOX Elite) and use it in the updated 2.0 version. If that's not "eco friendly" then I don't know what is.

Iced Arcade

Isn't really much to improve. The one Feild where theybare not the weren't one playing catch up.

I love the fact that we can have play and charge packs that are swappable and not a throw away controller.... BUT I do agree the price tag should reflect the lack of battery included

Aidah

Personally I'd rather see controllers continue evolving rather than stay the same. Also what's Bluetooth got to do with anything, DS4 is compatible with PS5.

Agent X

It's you that I actually owe an apology to from the last time we did this thread, because I hadn't thought about the mic as a new input at the time, and that's the key issue now. Sorry on that one, I was wrong. I still have an issue with it, and I still don't believe Sony will change their mind for certain games, but the mic definitely counts as a new input.

No need to apologize. As long as we have an enriching discussion, it's all good with me!

I still believe that there will be some way of playing some PS5 games using the DualShock 4. I don't know whether Sony will promote this heavily (at all), but I believe the capability will be there. Throughout the years, we've seen the following:

PS1:
  • Able to use PS2 DualShock 2 controllers with PS1 games (operate identically to PS1 DualShock controllers here).

PS2:
  • Able to use either PS1 or PS2 controllers for backward compatible PS1 games.
  • Able to use PS1 controllers for many (not all) PS2 games as long as they did not require specific DualShock 2 features. Even some specialty PS1 controllers (such as NeGCon and steering wheels) were usable with PS2 games (for example, Wipeout Fusion).

PS3:
  • Able to use PS1 & PS2 memory cards through an official adapter.
  • Able to use PS1 & PS2 controllers through unofficial third-party adapters. (Not sure if this really counts here.)
  • Supports the PS2 EyeToy camera for XMB video chat, PS2 games (if your PS3 model is capable of playing PS2 games), and also some PS3 games (for example, Burnout Paradise).
  • Supports the PS4 DualShock 4 to a limited extent (this was enabled after an OS update).

PS4:
  • Supports the PS Move controllers from PS3.
  • Supports some PS3 specialty controllers (such as arcade-style joysticks) for use with PS4 games (this was enabled after an OS update).

Considering all of the above, I could see Sony allowing PS4 DualShock 4 controllers to be usable with games that don't rely on DualSense features (such as team sports games). If this feature is not available at launch, then it will almost surely be patched into the OS soon afterward (like PS3 controllers on PS4, and PS4 controllers on PS3).

We already know PS5 will be able to utilize PS Move controllers from PS3, which is one of the rare times that a controller could be carried over three distinct generations in an official capacity.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Share button is heavy used by gamers... I used it countless times and I know I'm in the low usage statistics side.

That is exactly why Xbox have to put the same button on new controller.
Using accessibility as a crutch in this discussion is a strange one. The resistance features can be reduced in their intensity or turned off. In the case where a gamer can't use a controller at all then there are alternative paths that don't involve the normal controller so that they can take to still experience games. I know people don't like to hear it but those people are in the minority and are not considered when business are making core decisions.

Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't get used, I'm saying it's totally an optional additional thing. You don't "press share to pay respects" in COD. It doesn't enhance or change gameplay in any way.

And re: turning the triggers off, that's exactly what I'm saying. If those features can be turned off, then they're unnecessary. You can't turn off the triangle button. You can't turn off the extra touch pad buttons on a DS4 AFAIK, there's nothing to remap them to. Same with the mic array, if all games feature an option to disable the need for them because of the minority of players that can't use them, then they're also unnecessary and the only reason to require a new controller for those games is money. I don't blame Sony for the decision, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it, or worse, shout down others for not just rolling over and taking it (not you).

Ps5ProFoSho

But why can't old ones work just without the new features?
The point of having new features is immersion. If the game focus is immersion heavy through controller features then people will not enjoy the game the way it was intended
You should be asking why Xbox hasn't made better controller features instead of asking this question.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't get used, I'm saying it's totally an optional additional thing. You don't "press share to pay respects" in COD. It doesn't enhance or change gameplay in any way.

And re: turning the triggers off, that's exactly what I'm saying. If those features can be turned off, then they're unnecessary. You can't turn off the triangle button. You can't turn off the extra touch pad buttons on a DS4 AFAIK, there's nothing to remap them to. Same with the mic array, if all games feature an option to disable the need for them because of the minority of players that can't use them, then they're also unnecessary and the only reason to require a new controller for those games is money. I don't blame Sony for the decision, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it, or worse, shout down others for not just rolling over and taking it (not you).
Well while it is not a directly change in the gameplay... it is a change in experience.
Play sharing in a live stream is different experience from play normally.

Sony every new gen tries to enhance the player experience and the uso of Dual Sense on PS5 is required for that.

People that are crying won't buy the PS5 anyway.
Because PlayStation fans doesn't want games to get hold in implement or use new features due outdated controller.

If Sony was blocking you to play BC games with your old controller then I guess Linus could have a case.

Last edited:
The basic controller standard has been set. Any new features like haptic feedback, touch controls, motion controls, etc. just end up being unnecessary gimmicks used in very few games. I think it is excellent that I'll already have extra 2nd player controllers on hand. As well as cheap options etc.

I woul love a real innovation in the controller space but we've seen Nintendo go all out and it always gravitates towards the standard 10 button, dual analog + d-pad.

The XSS and XSX have new tech. MS focused that tech on the console over the controller. Frankly they are do more with cloud based gaming and back compatibility than anyone else in the game.
With posts like these now I know why you use trigger on any post that isn’t praising Phil spender 😂

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
QZ4H1U2.jpg

JimboJones

PS4 controller would probably be fine for 90% of games on PS5 so it would be nice to allow it.
8bitdo will probably release an adapter to do it anyway.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
It would with a PS4 version of FIFA21.

Then its even worst ha. So If I have a Fifa 20 ps4 playing on a ps5 im ok using the ps4 controller, but if I use the ps5 fifa 21 that wont work, but if the same fifa21 ps4 version is in, then yeah, im ok.
Sorry, why it doesnt work in all cases? Its the same game, same everything right?

Last edited:

FranXico

Then its even worst ha. So If I have a Fifa 20 ps4 playing on a ps5 im ok using the ps4 controller, but if I use the ps5 fifa 21 thats ok, but if the same fifa21 ps5 version is in, then it doesnt work.
Sorry, why it doesnt work in all cases? Its the same game, same everything right?
DualSense always works, DS4 only works for PS4 games.

Batiman

Banned
Well it is a pretty big deal to me. Saves me about a 150$ buying the new console. I got to add almost 100$ on top of my ps5. That’s just one extra controller.

Estocolmo

The DualSense actually being a new controller with new features and interesting tech is a game changer but you do you Linus....

It’s crazy to me....if I’m laying down the type of $$ these consoles will cost, I want new experiences and new tech. It’s nuts to me.

I don’t understand why you and others who says this, ignore the fact that there is a new next gen controller included with the Xbox Series.

fersnake

kinda starting to dislike this bs from him, doing the same with the ssd on ps5, next the controller and now this? ppl get mad if you dont have an exclusive and mad if you get one. or in this case just throwing shit just because.

Hezekiah

Banned
Sony blocking the trash that was the ds4 is a gift to humanity, shut the fuck up linus.
Best controller ever released. Only weakness it has is battery life. Shame you can't use them for PS5 games, but looking forward to seeing the Dualsense's features in action.

It's clear who has kids and kids who have friends over to game. Allowing BC with controllers is a big deal and a money saver. Kids trash through controllers, friends aren't playing everyday locally and generally sharing an experience without being forced to buy 3 new controllers with your console purchase is a good thing.

This does not stop you using the new controller that comes with your console and it does not stop you from buying all new controllers for your extras so I do not understand so many posters in here pointing out they want the best new experience. BC controller support does not lock any of that out at all. Every platform should have basic support for controllers from the previous gen.

Tomeru

It's clear who has kids and kids who have friends over to game. Allowing BC with controllers is a big deal and a money saver. Kids trash through controllers, friends aren't playing everyday locally and generally sharing an experience without being forced to buy 3 new controllers with your console purchase is a good thing.

This sounds like youre expected to have multiple controller for guests use, while ignoring the "bring your own controller when you visit a friend" option.

While having an extra controller is always good, buying 3 extra controller just so someone elses kid can break it is not good spending.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
So Spiderman and Horizon will be able to use PS4 controller, but only on a PS4. This thing is awesome.

miklonus

Not odd at all. When any of the three companies establishes their marketing narrative, those are marching orders for fanboys. Doesn’t matter what they believed even just a couple of seconds before. They will now orient their entire worldview around it.
It's a damn shame Arcadia was banned. She, or he, made a great point.

Last edited:

miklonus

I'm confused by this bump. Is it a reference to something happening now?
I think before I got my account, I saved arcadia's post on a text file, because I thought it was such a great comment. I didn't look at the date of the file, and when it was created/last modified/etc.

I might have just left it at an agreeing emoji/smiley, but it was so damn good that I couldn't help myself and had to give a comment. Apologies to mods for breaking any bump rules.

Three

I think before I got my account, I saved arcadia's post on a text file, because I thought it was such a great comment. I didn't look at the date of the file, and when it was created/last modified/etc.

I might have just left it at an agreeing emoji/smiley, but it was so damn good that I couldn't help myself and had to give a comment. Apologies to mods for breaking any bump rules.
Fair enough. It is a good comment.

I want Xbox 360 controller back. That controller had the most perfect resistance levels for analog sticks and triggers. Too loose now on all the new Xbox controllers. DualSense shockingly the closest

Last edited:

Ribi

W0t

Why don't you save any of my comments

Hero_Select

It's odd how some people have just "bought" into Xbox's narrative that generations shouldn't matter anymore.
Almost as odd as Sony saying "we believe in generations" when it benefited then to say so and all the Sony fanboys bought it up. Now the same fanboys say it's okay that games are releasing on older generations so people can experience them.

Same with with PC releases. Now that it seems Sony might do day one releases suddenly it doesn't matter anymore and it's okay

People have these weird double standards for their favored companies across all platforms but Sony fans seem especially offended by the existence of Xbox

Having a controller work on your newest console isn't a bad thing. It's a GOOD thing.

I still can't turn the light off on the ps5 controller to leviate it's abysmal life somehow.

Famipan

Preach Linus! Preach!
The DS4 is so much better for me than the DualSense with toyish high-pitched rumble haptics effects; the trigger effects are fun for one hour in a game but makes the games harder because reaction time is hampered; too bulky controller; often do gyro-emotes by mistake in Souls-games when pressing X and moving controller slightly (using some quick menu items mid boss fight GOOD LUCK!); L2/R2 by mistake when laying it in lap or on other surface because triggers are triggered too easily; oversensitive joysticks and can’t change dead zone on standard DualSense. AND WORST OF ALL: The mushy D-pad. DS4 has a much more premium tactile feel on the D-pad which is a must for Metroidvanias.

I prefer DualShock4 so much better that I will stop getting new games on PS5 and instead move to PC and Steam which has GREAT support for DS4 in PS5 GAMES FROM SONY THEMSELVES which is insane!

I can change deadzone and change the acceleration in Steam for both DS4 and DualSense etc while Sony just has everyone Stockholm Syndrome themselves into: I LIKE LIMITED OPTIONS!! 8D

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Necro on Halloween.
Almost as odd as Sony saying "we believe in generations" when it benefited then to say so and all the Sony fanboys bought it up. Now the same fanboys say it's okay that games are releasing on older generations so people can experience them.
cdc.jpg

That's only people who can't read further than the headline. Don't make me whip out the "We believe in generations" actual quotes! It talks about PS4 games continuing being made, and it talks about the generational features the PS5 brings over PS4.
If you aren't being held back by last gen you can do much more and the faster we move on from last gen the better.
Same with with PC releases. Now that it seems Sony might do day one releases suddenly it doesn't matter anymore and it's okay
Day one releases are bad, you would hope a console manufacturer would want to sell their consoles first. It hurts console sales doing day one releases, it devalues the console.

Top Bottom