• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Lion, bat and pangolin off the menu as Chinese city of Wuhan bans consumption of wild animals

longdi

Ni hao ma, fellow kids?
Jun 7, 2004
:messenger_bicep: We should work together as a world imo.
Though i wont mind trying medium-rare Lion steak or Wuhan fried peacock 😹

Published: May 22, 2020 at 5:00 a.m. ET
By Rupert Steiner

Consumption of wild animals in Wuhan been banned weeks after Dr. Anthony Fauci called on China to scrap its wet markets

Consumption of wild animals in the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, has been banned just weeks after America’s top infectious-diseases expert Dr. Anthony Fauci called for an end to wet markets trading in exotic meat.

Lion, tiger, peacock and pangolin are now off the menu after the municipal government in Wuhan announced this week that a new policy has come into effect banning breeding, hunting and consumption of wild animals. The new law will be in place for five years.

Other species including bat and snake have also been banned as part of a national push to prevent the population from eating wildlife.

It is thought the sale and consumption of exotic meats in wet markets has spawned diseases. The first cases of coronavirus are thought to have come from a wet market in Wuhan, in the province of Hubei.
Scientists think the virus originated in bats and transferred to humans through another animal. This has shone a spotlight on the global market for exotic meats, the way they are procured, and hygiene around their sale and consumption.

The market for wild animals is worth an estimated £60 million ($73 million) and provides work for as many as 14 million people.

Last month, when asked about wet markets in a television interview, Fauci said: “I think we should shut down those things right away. It boggles my mind how when we have so many diseases that emanate out of that unusual human-animal interface, that we don’t just shut it down.
“I don’t know what else has to happen to get us to appreciate that.”

longdi

Ni hao ma, fellow kids?
Jun 7, 2004
Nah this just came into my investment feed, thought it is nice to clear some air 气。 🤷‍♀️

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
The new law will be in place for five years.
Seems like this snuck by everyone. Apparently in five years all coronaviruses everywhere will stop existing and China can go back to eating vermin again.

They couldnt sneak dog onto the list?
Friendly reminder that regions in China torture dogs before killing them because they think it makes the meat taste better.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Too bad those markets are not even where the virus came from.

It’s already been proven that it came from a lab over there. And they tried to cover it up.

Why are entertainers like Howard Stern still blaming it on the wet market!?!
I mean the wet markets should be closed down anyway, and those animals shouldn’t be eaten,. but ignoring that it came from a lab and was covered up by the Chinese government is misleading!

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
The whole wet market story was just a cover up and this is just them further covering things up. I think the wet market stuff is overblown and I bet most of the info we were receiving were false flags, probably 50 cent propaganda put out to lend credence to the wet market theory.

YA sometimes they have unsanitary conditions for their meat and they should get rid of exotic animals, but most other asian countries, and plenty of other countries have "wet markets". There just out door grocery stores. North America has farmers markets. I guess the big difference would be we don't sell some of the more exotic animals there.

But wet markets were just a smoke screen and easy scapegoat. China has no Jews so they couldn't blame it on them (LOL). But jokes aside the Lancet already published months ago that the original cases had no connection to the wet market and we have the latest study that showed the virus was brought into the market.

CCP is really taking a beating and they are scrambling now. They had their top scientest come out and admit to the cover up. They are "banning" exotic animals. And they are even being some what truthful (though still lying massivly) that they are having a second out break.

CCP knows that they are facing a ton of scrutiny so they are trying to appear more "honest". They are pulling an Obama right now. You should fully expect an email to come out showing that a CCP party member sent themselves saying Xi told everyone to do this pandemic "by the book".

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
Too bad those markets are not even where the virus came from.

It’s already been proven that it came from a lab over there. And they tried to cover it up.

Why are entertainers like Howard Stern still blaming it on the wet market!?!
I mean the wet markets should be closed down anyway, and those animals shouldn’t be eaten,. but ignoring that it came from a lab and was covered up by the Chinese government is misleading!
I think that's the point. They want to mislead everyone and of course, try to save face.