• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lion Unity Demo Running in Real-Time on PS5 (Native 4K, 30FPS)

ChiefDada

Gold Member

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like the typical game engine demo to me. Looks great in isolation. But in reality when gameplay and AI are needed the visuals drop dramatically.

It's like a painter making an incredible piece of art on a small canvas. Looks great. But let's see what he can do with limited time and budget making one as big as a highway billboard.

Last edited:

sendit

what can be done is not a lot then if that's the demonstration.
the fur looks nice, but use that in anything resembling an actual video game and your performance will be in the drain
im salty rooster teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

ChiefDada

Gold Member
maybe when reading through all the tech bla bla it will turn out to be more impressive than it looks,

So if they provided you with a research paper full of tech jargon describing how this demo was made, then you would be impressed? Your knowledge of what consoles have previously been capable of with regards to real time rendering, coupled with what your eyes are seeing in this demo isn't isn't taken into consideration?

This forum sometimes, I swear...

Stuart360

Knowing how good these kind of demo's can look, i'm a little dissapointed. I was expecting more like The Lion King remake, but this isnt close.
Besides good or bad, games never come close to these demo's anyway so its hard to be impressed with them.

CamHostage

(Also runs on Xbox Series X and PC, before we go too far...)

So, I think it's better to understand the pieces of this demo (which is the purpose, to showcase a number of Unity's different tech studios in one project, for the SIGGRAPH trade show) and why this demo is actually interesting from a developer's or designer's perspective (and hopefully gamers care too, but it is a tech demo, not a playable game.) There's a great breakdown of the team processes on the blog post.

https://blog.unity.com/technology/n...-in-action-and-the-future-of-weta-digital-for

Ziva Dynamics is probably the most exciting tech here, and the tech that's most relevant immediately to games you have played or will play: they did the ML muscles for the updated Spider-Man next-gen patch, and also were key to simulating the giant in the most recent Hellblade 2 demo. Ziva RT uses machine-learning systems to build moving humans and creatures trained for muscle definition and expression. It's used for full-body characters as well as faces and also clothing. This tech has been used a lot in movies and TV, and now is making its way into game development.

Speedtree, we all know, they're mostly known for trees of course, but they do all kinds of vegetation now. Their vegetation-growing system is in games all the time.

Wētā Digital's Wig is the groom system for hair (which IMO looks really great in realtime here). Wig is still new in realtime usage (AFAIK it's not been used in games until now?) but Weta is known for its movie effects quality, and the hair system is in particular cited in the blog post as "actually the fastest grooming tool that I’ve ever used," which is good for design and hopefully is good for games if it holds up in interactive (or at least realtime cinematic) use.

SyncSketch, that's not so much of interest to us gamers, it's just part of how they made it; this is a collaboration tool which "provides the ability for real-time production reviews and intuitive iteration."

And of course Unity Engine itself, which is showcased here in its next-gen 2023.1 Tech Stream iteration, with Unity's High Definition Render Pipeline (HDRP) system with their Global Illumination (GI) / Adaptive Probe Volumes (APV) lighting tech.

This is a demo for Unity Engine of course, but its also a look at its larger tech services (as well as tech that's being developed widely across game development and engine production studios, with Unity and Unreal leading the way in showing their work since they have tech to sell.) You already know games which use technology shown in this demo, and they're not even Unity Engine games. Whether it's a Unity Engine product or something else, the tech seen here is part of the ever-developing future.

ncgSspl.gif

spider-man-miles-morales.gif

Last edited:

onQ123

what can be done is not a lot then if that's the demonstration.
the fur looks nice, but use that in anything resembling an actual video game and your performance will be in the drain

I bet you're wrong , the biggest reason that Demos used to be way above what we would get in games was because of memory management that could be done in demos but not so much in games because you need to be able to load a lot more into the small amount of memory but now with SSDs being able to feed new data into main RAM devs can make games with high quality assets.

The biggest problem now is that no one is going to want to download 200+ GB games

Banned
So if they provided you with a research paper full of tech jargon describing how this demo was made, then you would be impressed? Your knowledge of what consoles have previously been capable of with regards to real time rendering, coupled with what your eyes are seeing in this demo isn't isn't taken into consideration?

This forum sometimes, I swear...

look, I have no idea what you find impressive about this, but maybe try to tell me?
I see 2 Lions, animated ok-ish, with really nice fur... and that in a completely static background where nothing is moving.

2 detailed characters in front of a ridiculously simple background is not impressive in any shape or form.
this can not be translated in any way into an actual game at all either. having more than anything you see here on screen would mean performance below 30fps or with a highly reduced resolution given that this demo is locked to 30fps.

using this fur in any capacity in a real game on anything more than the main character would also completely tank performance.

so, like I said, not sure what you see here.
yes it's nice looking, but it's not really impressive at first glance as it works as a static one-off scene, but that's about it

Last edited:
I honestly didn't even blink at the PS5 part.. I'd assume most people are aware at this point the systems aren't going to have dramatic differences at all.

This.....any game I see on either console nowadays I feel pretty confident it can be done on the other with minimal differences.

Danknugz

if they're aiming to show off the engine why not use a PC? why limit it to a mid tier gpu equivalent like the series x or ps5?

CamHostage

if they're aiming to show off the engine why not use a PC? why limit it to a mid tier gpu equivalent like the series x or ps5?

Because people understand what a PS5 is. People might know what range under and below in the PC market compares to the $500 set-top box that's available for general consumers, or they might not. It doesn't matter, because they know PlayStations and Xboxes, because they have them or know people who have them. Maybe it could do better on an elite-end, high-priced PC, but it can do this, and this is really freaking good-looking. (Albeit for two characters in a confined demo space, but still, look at the kitties!) There's no need to imagine what the possibilities are if it can produce this level of quality on a box you can plug right into your TV; this is reality.

The demo will be at Siggraph (going on now, if you have more questions you can head on up to Vancouver and ask...) and might be on different hardware as part of that event.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Probably because it's a massive platform for them business wise, and putting it on a console makes it more believable in a sense. People don't trust tech demos all that much but PC ones are probably the least trusted lol "Look at this demo running on 2 $1000 GPUs and an overclocked $700 CPU" is a nice way to make it look good, but not something that game devs are going to get excited about.

Last edited:

Fbh

That's what you got out of this?

What's one to get from this though?
Unless you show the tech actually attached to a playable demo all of these showcases are basically worthless.

"Look what's doable on your videogame console if you decide to make an animation with only 2 objects instead of a videogame"

Because the vast majority of people either have a console or a mid tier GPU. If you are trying to sell gaming tech you usually want to show that it works well on "average" tech.
Making some mindblowing scene that only runs at 30fps on a 3090ti isn't worth much because no one is going to spend millions making a product that can only be sold to the small number of high end GPU owners.

CamHostage

What's one to get from this though?
Unless you show the tech actually attached to a playable demo all of these showcases are basically worthless.

They're worthless to you, the hungry gamer looking for something new to play.

They're not worthless for designers, which, considering this demo was made for the SIGGRAPH trade show of "computer graphics and interactive techniques", makes plenty of sense.

...They didn't use to show or give most of these demos out to the public for reasons why you're citing, because they're not "real" games and the actual products using this tech will vary wildly. However, tech studios are generally more open now (or rather it's harder to put up gates keeping non-technical people out in the era of Youtube and such,) and so there's a little bit of trust needed that if a tech demo is interesting to you then please check out but if you're not into it then don't worry so much about it. So, enjoy responsibly.

Last edited:

TVexperto

is this their answer to unreal engines 5 reveal? lmao no wonder they are getting bought out and turned into an ad company

CamHostage

Unity Demos always look stunning, but are there actually very good looking unity games out there?

Unity certainly takes its fair knocks (even pro Unity developers grumble about long-standing issues which often affect finished games,) and high-end studios generally go for the Unreal model, for a variety of reasons (some of which are in those grumbles...) So the best-looking games on the market are rarely Unity Engine games, and yeah, those Unity demos over the years (including all the Adam short films) never really made it in the game market.

2D games, basically everything gorgeous made in the past two gens has been Unity, so like Ori and Cuphead and My Friend Pedro and a lot of that stuff is Unity. But that's not really exactly what Lion or other Unity demos generally try to show off, so ignore those for this conversation.

3D games, probably the high points are Oddworld Soulstorm, Genshin Impact, Subnautica, the Cities games, the final Syberia, Humankind, Escape from Tarkov, the upcoming games Ferocious and Shining Girl and Morbid Metal... I can't think of a 3D game I'd consider best-in-class which runs on Unity, but the graphics system is generally capable, and 2023.1 features should help push it up to a new level. Or, not...

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
(Also runs on Xbox Series X and PC, before we go too far...)

So, I think it's better to understand the pieces of this demo (which is the purpose, to showcase a number of Unity's different tech studios in one project) and why this demo is actually interesting from a developer's or designer's perspective (and hopefully gamers care too, but it is a tech demo, not a playable game.) There's a great breakdown of the team processes on the blog post.

https://blog.unity.com/technology/n...-in-action-and-the-future-of-weta-digital-for

Ziva Dynamics is probably the most exciting tech here, and the tech that's most relevant immediately to games you have played or will play: they did the ML muscles for the updated Spider-Man next-gen patch, and also were key to simulating the giant in the most recent Hellblade 2 demo. Ziva RT uses machine-learning systems to build moving humans and creatures trained for muscle definition and expression. It's used for full-body characters as well as faces and also clothing. This tech has been used a lot in movies and TV, and now is making its way into game development.

Speedtree, we all know, they're mostly known for trees of course, but they do all kinds of vegetation now. Their vegetation-growing system is in games all the time.

Wētā Digital's Wig is the groom system for hair (which IMO looks really great in realtime here). Wig is still new (AFAIK it's not been used in games until now?) but Weta is known for its movie effects quality, and the hair system is in particular cited in the blog post as "actually the fastest grooming tool that I’ve ever used," which is good for design and hopefully is good for games if it holds up in interactive (or at least realtime cinematic) use.

SyncSketch, that's not so much of interest to us gamers, it's just part of how they made it; this is a collaboration tool which "provides the ability for real-time production reviews and intuitive iteration."

And of course Unity Engine itself, which is showcased here in its next-gen 2023.1 Tech Stream iteration, with Unity's High Definition Render Pipeline (HDRP) system with their Global Illumination (GI) / Adaptive Probe Volumes (APV) lighting tech.

This is a demo for Unity Engine of course, but its also a look at its larger tech services (as well as tech that's being developed widely across game development and engine production studios, with Unity and Unreal leading the way in showing their work since they have tech to sell.) You already know games which use technology shown in this demo, and they're not even Unity Engine games. Whether it's a Unity Engine product or something else, the tech seen here is part of the ever-developing future.

ncgSspl.gif

spider-man-miles-morales.gif
Good post.

Reallink

So basically this is how fighting games should look like.

They should. Fighting games in their heyday generally did have assets approaching a generation ahead of other genres. Compare Soul Calibur and DoA2 characters to action/platformer/shooter characters of the day, they were lightyears beyond them. As budgets ballooned and sales/popularity waned though they weren't given the resources to keep that going. Today most fighting games enjoy bargain bin budgets similar to too low end JRPG's like the Y's or Alterier series, of course they're not going to compete with $200+ million dollar AAA games. Nether Realms is really the only fighting studio attempting to push production values at all, the rest are just porting old PS360 models into Unreal Engine and touching them up a little (i.e. Tekken, Soul, DOA, Street Fighter).

Last edited:

CamHostage

BTW, if if this demo does nothing else for you, at least use it to get to know Ziva Dynamics.

Ziva have been doing amazing work in understanding natural aspects of how bodies and muscles and skin move on a body. Movie studios have used their tech for creatures lifelike and fantastical in pictures such as The Meg and A Dog's Way Home, and the bits of game implementation we've seen so far in Spider-Man Remastered PS5 and the upcoming Hellblade 2 are really interesting.

You may recognize Ziva already from their previous ZivaRT Face demos:

BTW, although there are probably some questions about what their future is now that they're owned by Unity, their tech is not locked into Unity. (And it's worth knowing, Unity tech itself is not necessarily locked into Unity Engine either; Insomniac is pretty much exclusively an in-house-engine studio, yet Insomnaic has used a Unity ArtEngine tool called Upres 2.0 for their projects. There are tools in the Unity development suite which might be of interest for different types of game designers. )

Last edited:
Top Bottom