• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionhead Employee: Fable Legends Will Not Release on Steam

*Bolded text was on my end from a Twitter search.

There hasn't been any real confirmation yet from Microsoft personnel I can recall that says if Fable Legends, Gears of War: UE and other PC titles are exclusive to the Windows 10 marketplace or not. There is some information you can infer from press releases where there is a distinction in the wording between games confirmed to be coming to Steam and Win10 like Ashen and Microsoft releases like Fable: Legends but it's still not coming out and saying the games will not release on services like Steam or GOG. I believe this tweet is the first "official" mention of that.

Mind you Fable: Legends is a free-to-play release and as far as official comments goes a tweet isn't really the most definitive answer you can get. Until we actually see something like Fable: Legends or a bigger, paid, release like Gears: UE come out it's still up in the air. Still, since this the first comment from someone at Microsoft I figured it was worth noting.

Azih

Minecraft isn't sold on Steam either. Think MS might have decided to use games to push The Windows Store.

Edit: Makes sense for them to avoid Steam for F2P games.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Don't know how the Fable Legends model will work but wasn't Killer Instinct supposed to include the first two seasons and not release as a F2P game?

Walpurgis

Banned
Supporting doesn't neccesarily mean releasing every title they have on Steam.

This does.
Kevin Unangst, senior director for PC gaming states, "We are not intending to compete with Steam. If anything, we want Steam to be even more successful – they’ve done great things for PC gamers in terms of having a single store...our goal right now isn’t to do anything else other than support Steam and help it run great on Windows 10."

wwm0nkey

So they want their PC games push to fail again? Ok.
75 million Win10 users and their shop isn't trash this time, won't be as good as Steam but I don't think they'll fail at all.

Though they do need to give me back the ability to install apps where I want them to go, can't be filling up my SSD.

I really don't get peoples obsession with every game needing to release on Steam, I think it may be a bad move by MS as that's quite a large potential audience being ignored, but if it's fun I'll play it wherever.

They will have to learn the hard way - though they never stated their games will be made available on Steam nor isn't it a distinct possibility it won't ever get a Steam release.

Might be a bit of challenge to get and Xbox Live PC game through the Steam platform I think, but what do I know. Won't stop me from playing the game though.

This doesn't bode well for steam users hoping for Gears or KI, and that disappoints me.

I thought Microsoft was building a really respectable library on steam. They released State of Decay YOSE just a few months ago and a they released Ori and the blind forest simultaneously on Xbox One and Steam, it would be disappointing to see them jump ship to Windows 10 all of a sudden.

However...maybe Fable Legends is just a one off, it is online only isn't it? and cross-platform? I can sort of see why it would be technically easier to keep it on W10 just for now.

I really hope they don't just up and leave Steam though.

This does.

That quote comes from Kevin Unangst being asked if they will use the foothold they have with Windows to challenge Steam. To which he replied that was not the case and that...

our goal right now isn’t to do anything else other than support Steam and help it run great on Windows 10

That is in no way a pledge to release titles on Steam.

Walpurgis

Banned
That quote comes from Kevin Unangst being asked if they will use the foothold they have with Windows to challenge Steam. To which he replied that was not the case and that...

That is in no way a pledge to release titles on Steam.

I don't understand. How do you support Steam without releasing games for it? Or does he mean he wants the OS to support Steam? Because that would be a strangely redundant thing to say.

Ludens

Banned
I think it makes no sense not release this on Steam because it's a F2P.
I mean, since the game itself costs nothing, every cent should count, so putting it on Steam should grant other money, despite of having nothing at all from Steam market, even including the 30% Steam cut.

Miracle

Spencer is the new Peter Molyneux.

Disregard anything he says when it comes to PC gaming.

We are going to need an update on this pic then. :p

ixjgyhqstycmx6hu3s.png

klee123

Not surprised there.

Really, since every Windows 10 PC has the app store built in why would MS put their games on anything other than their own app store?

I pretty much expect the majority of their first party releases on PC from now on to be Win 10 app store exclusive.

harSon

Banned
Not surprising, especially since Valve gets a cut of every microtransaction. Isn't that why Guild Wars 2 didn't make its way over to Steam?

Skelter

Banned
I'm fine with this but please Microsoft let me install games wherever th hell I want. I don't want my SSD to be filled up with only a few games.

deadman69

75 million Win10 users and their shop isn't trash this time, won't be as good as Steam but I don't think they'll fail at all.

Though they do need to give me back the ability to install apps where I want them to go, can't be filling up my SSD.

well the store is pretty much pointless til there actually anything worthwhile on it. they surely could put their pc back catalogue on there, do a bit of work on their GFWL releases to make them xbox live instead and just release their older titles. they don't even have ori on their store.

Com_Raven

Makes sense. As a F2P game, they don't want to give Valve their cut of all the things people can buy.

This. I fully expect them to put their retail titles on Steam, but with F2P there are good reasons not to do so (namely, the revenue share). You will notice that many of the most popular F2P games are not on Steam (League of Legends, all Blizzard titles, Guild Wars 2 etc).

Dunkley

I don't understand. How do you support Steam without releasing games for it? Or does he mean he wants the OS to support Steam? Because that would be a strangely redundant thing to say.

The quote you posted kinda answers the question itself, considering it's far fetched to say that stating that they want it to run great on Windows 10 equals them saying they'll release games on it:

Kevin Unangst, senior director for PC gaming states, "We are not intending to compete with Steam. If anything, we want Steam to be even more successful – they’ve done great things for PC gamers in terms of having a single store...our goal right now isn’t to do anything else other than support Steam and help it run great on Windows 10."

Top Bottom