• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List a pet peeve that you think people should be executed for (not really, of course)

Sometimes there are little things in life that can really get under your skin if you're in the wrong frame of mind. They're not really big deals in the grand scheme of things, but they just irritate and poke at the mind. They crawl into you and wiggle around, making you want to bite your own tongue off. Every time it happens, you just shudder inside, and a little part of you - if only for a moment - just wishes the worst upon the offender.

So deliver your dastardly despot, and dole out your doom.

Here's my unforgivable offense, and it can be found even here.

People who quote the entire first post of a topic - ESPECIALLY if you are the first to respond. The whole idea of a topic is that the first post is the jumping off point - the point of conversation, the point of reference for discourse. Unless otherwise stated, your statement IS INHERENTLY IN RESPONSE TO THE ORIGINAL POST. There is no need to reference the entire subject for which you are obviously responding. Gotdamn!

I'm sorry, but the state cannot tolerate such offenses. Penalty - death.

Sorry for anyone who has done this. Please take this in a spirit of fun and catharsis.

2019-04-10T221039Z_1_LYNXNPEF3929K_RTROPTP_4_NORTHKOREA-POLITICS.JPG

Hand down your sentences for your trivial offenses!

I eagerly await people quoting this entire post! :p

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
People who cannot utilize an "inside" voice. I work with a girl who cackles louder than anyone I've ever heard and it drives me crazy. It is purely a lack of consideration for others.

Not using turn signals.

Hell yes. My biggest driving related pet peeve is probably people who decide to pull out onto a road without having enough time to get up to speed, forcing the people already on the road to slam their brakes for them, when all they had to do was wait 2 seconds for the traffic to pass and then safely enter the lane.

The absolute worst is when people do this and immediately go for a left turn left on a single lane road. Instead of waiting the 2 seconds to let traffic pass, you scoot in front at a slow speed then force everyone to come to a stop behind you while you wait for your left turn. And I mean literally 2 seconds sometimes, this used to happen to me all the time on country roads when there would be absolutely no cars behind me for several kilometres. I'm doing a good clip down this country road and a fucking moron decides to pull out in front of me doing half my speed, then takes a left literally 200 yards up the road. JUST WAIT.

On the other side of that coin, huge props to the people who will shift over into the oncoming lane to make their left turn when there is no traffic on the road, just so that the people behind them do not have to slow down for the first person's left.

Last edited:
Hell yes. My biggest driving related pet peeve is probably people who decide to pull out onto a road without having enough time to get up to speed, forcing the people already on the road to slam their brakes for them, when all they had to do was wait 2 seconds for the traffic to pass and then safely enter the lane.

When people do that to me, I usually look in my rear view and often I see NO ONE behind me. It's like they are doing it intentionally. GAH! They literally only had to wait FOR ME!!! :p

mr_kittycat

Social justice, particularly the form seen online. Not sure if that counts as a pet peeve or a general wider grievance, but ill count it as both

People who walk their dog around my apartment and don’t pick the shit up.

Clean up your dog’s shit, bros

Or people who don't leash their animals on public walking trails. I almost got destroyed by this giant lab when it got distracted by some geese and came barreling at me (in pursuit of the flying geese). I had to leap out of the way to avoid a nasty collision. The owner was just like, "She's got a mind of her own." And I'm thinking, "That's why you leash your animal!"

Nymphae

Banned
Or people who don't leash their animals on public walking trails. I almost got destroyed by this giant lab when it got distracted by some geese and came barreling at me (in pursuit of the flying geese). I had to leap out of the way to avoid a nasty collision. The owner was just like, "She's got a mind of her own." And I'm thinking, "That's why you leash your animal!"

Yep, I see this a lot on my local disc golf course. Some dogs are nice, sure, but it's the fucking law so keep it on a leash.

One time my buddy and I went out for a round, and as we get on the tee, this woman a few hundred yards away starts screaming bloody murder at her German shepherd, which is making a beeline directly for me. I'm not really all that fond of dogs, and I just froze up. I thought to run, but maybe thought that was a worse idea, so I just stood there and almost shit my pants. As the dog is approaching me, he passes me on my left, he was running after a truck that was driving past behind me that I didn't see. My friend had a good laugh lol.

Last edited:
When friends/employees come over and I have cigarette butts in the grass instead of in the ashtray that's on the patio where they smoke.

Μy friends want me excecuted because i skip the cutscenes in videogames.

Depends on type of game. If it's multiplayer then no, if its rpg or a game where it matters then your OK. (for now).

People who walk their dog around my apartment and don’t pick the shit up.

Clean up your dog’s shit, bros

If that happened here in UK, you just tell em to pick it bloody up or leave them in the garden there on.

Agree, but will quote IRL in as that's a gangster line. "It's why I leash my animal".

Walking several people abreast on the sidewalk and getting in everyone's way.

Came in here to post this, wish I could clothesline all of them. I walk straight to the absolute middle and act all indignant as they adjust.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Most are derived from having to deal with my fellow NY'ers on the subway on a daily basis, but - clipping your nails in public, kicking off one's shoes (usually sandals) to rub your dry ass feet together. watching a movie/show on your phone without headphones at max volume, or singing/rapping along to your music, or having a 20-minute phone call where you're apparently trying to speak with a partially deaf person.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
People who post "this video pretty much sums up my thoughts" and link to a 30 min YouTube borefest.

Type your fucking thoughts out, you lazy bastard! :messenger_pouting:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
people who think that if you don't share their opinion on a movie, it's not that film is an inherently subjective media, it's that YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND IT.

"get that? it's not that we have two different opinions. it's that i have the correct one and you didn't understand it. because you're an idiot." (this is what this phrasing is implying)

yeah, people that argue about movies using this language. it's like waving a loaded gun. get off your high horse, buddy. thinking a certain way about a piece of media doesn't make you "smart". if you want to explain your reasons for what you think of it, talking about the text itself, go for it, but this kind of pseudo intellectual posturing is pathetic & anti-productive.

Last edited:

n0razi

Crappy drivers:
- driving too slow
- driving too slow in the passing lane
- making a left or u-turn in a no left lane and holding up traffic
- veering out of their lane in a double left or double right turn
- not using signals
- blatantly on the phone while doing all of the above

People who bring their bad mannered kids to a nice restaurant

People who dont pick up their dog shit

people who think that if you don't share their opinion on a movie, it's not that film is an inherently subjective media, it's that YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND IT.

"get that? it's not that we have two different opinions. it's that i have the correct one and you didn't understand it. because you're an idiot." (this is what this phrasing is implying)

yeah, people that argue about movies using this language. it's like waving a loaded gun. get off your high horse, buddy. thinking a certain way about a piece of media doesn't make you "smart". if you want to explain your reasons for what you think of it, talking about the text itself, go for it, but this kind of pseudo intellectual posturing is pathetic & anti-productive.

Yeah, you see it any many artistic areas - neogaf anyone? Art is very personal, and people are moved by different things. The whole "right" or "wrong" attached to any form of creative expression is very off-putting.

Hissing Sid

Delivery drivers who push their smeg encrusted smart phone into my face and expect me to sign my signature with a fucking finger.

A) I ain’t touching your phone matey boy because I KNOW exactly where it and your hands have been.

B) I refuse to sign my name with my finger like some kind of fucked up caveman. Provide a stylus ffs.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Speeding more than 30km/hr over the speed limit. 5-10km/hr can happen by accident, but 30km/hr is deliberate.

Pull them over and execute them on the side of the road. Speeding problem largely solved and way less innocent people killed by selfish drivers.

Of course, you’ll still get a few immensely stupid people who purposely speed, but it’s a good way to weed out the oxygen wasters.

Elect Scopa 2020, Make Roads Great Again

Codes 208

Well since everyone’s taken the most logical ones (especially turning without signaling) I’ll just have to throw a few other things.

-those direct TV/Comcast people who chase you down at Walmart

-people who chew with their mouth open

-people who repeatedly snort. (Go blow your fucking nose already)

-people who rush up to 80mph to pass you because apparently going 70 in a 65 is too slow.

Last edited:

Drake

If you're at the god damn stop sign before me, FUCKING GO THROUGH IT. WHY ARE YOU WAITING FOR ME. Fuck you all.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Seems we all agree driving is a large source of anger and stress.

Can’t wait until I can walk/bike/take the train to work instead.

Loki

Count of Concision
I can list too many for driving, but another one is people (usually ladies, and more frequently older ladies - you rarely see men do this) who insist on paying with exact change at a pharmacy or store when there's a long line and then dig through their purse or pockets to find the right coins.

DiscoJer

This is really a work (Walmart) thing. But people asking "Do you have it in back?"

We don't. Our backroom is surprisingly small and most of it is used for upcoming seasonal crap. Like right now, it's full of air conditioners and pools and lawn mowers (which we got in February).

Sometimes there are little things in life that can really get under your skin if you're in the wrong frame of mind. They're not really big deals in the grand scheme of things, but they just irritate and poke at the mind. They crawl into you and wiggle around, making you want to bite your own tongue off. Every time it happens, you just shudder inside, and a little part of you - if only for a moment - just wishes the worst upon the offender.

People who quote the entire first post of a topic - ESPECIALLY if you are the first to respond. The whole idea of a topic is that the first post is the jumping off point - the point of conversation, the point of reference for discourse. Unless otherwise stated, your statement IS INHERENTLY IN RESPONSE TO THE ORIGINAL POST. There is no need to reference the entire subject for which you are obviously responding. Gotdamn!

Sorry for anyone who has done this. Please take this in a spirit of fun and catharsis.

People who quote the entire first post of a topic. Also, people who don't read the first post and just repeat something that was already said.

If you're at the god damn stop sign before me, FUCKING GO THROUGH IT. WHY ARE YOU WAITING FOR ME. Fuck you all.

Yeah, overly polite people are sometimes as annoying as assholes.

I can list too many for driving, but another one is people (usually ladies, and more frequently older ladies - you rarely see men do this) who insist on paying with exact change at a pharmacy or store when there's a long line and then dig through their purse or pockets to find the right coins.

Reminds me of another one that used to drive me crazy about my ex. Stare at the menu for what seemed like an hour - ask about 1,000 questions about every item on the menu - decide, undecide, decide again - then finally make about a dozen requests for alterations to the way it's presented for order. Man, wore me out! I'm thinking like "ok princess - you happy now?"

lil puff

Most are derived from having to deal with my fellow NY'ers on the subway on a daily basis, but - clipping your nails in public, kicking off one's shoes (usually sandals) to rub your dry ass feet together. watching a movie/show on your phone without headphones at max volume, or singing/rapping along to your music, or having a 20-minute phone call where you're apparently trying to speak with a partially deaf person.
another daily MTA user, I concur.

People that sit and then get off 2 stops away.

One time an idiot had a coffee no lid and some people came on the train and I had to shift and I bumped him and someof his coffee spilled. Fuck you looking at me for?

I once saw those dancers get mad at one guy and started almost a fight. I have seen more 'almost' fights between those losers

My friend fell asleep on the train, he woke up ... someone cut his pants and took his wallet. I bought him a new wallet. It was a wallet that looked like a NY coffee cup.

Idiots that need to walk between subway cars. Are you so stupid that you need to do this? Get on a train and get off, it's not hard. Unless you are dumb as shit. Once this dude opened the door I was on. I could have lost my life if I fell back. Get on the train and stay there dumb ass.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not quite sure what you mean synchronicity synchronicity

Can you elaborate a little bit, maybe??

Please. Thanks!

lil puff

I hate when people quote the same pic that someone else posted. We already saw it dude. Chill.

It slows down the page.

Posting silly lol pics is stupid in general, just say haha or lol or somethin, I don't need to see a picture.

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member

I think i might be doing something wrong here, but I'm not sure what might be.

Sorry to tag you synchronicity synchronicity but your help would be appreciated.

I don't want to be doing anything that upsets anyone here. Especially not you synchronicity synchronicity

Hissing Sid

Peeps who fit red brake calipers and tinted windows to their Renault Cleo. Because if any car screams out for high performance brakes it’s a Renault Cleo. Otherwise you’d overshoot the McDonald’s drive thru. And the tinted windows are essential to ensure privacy when you’re parked up down ‘Slags Wall’ on the promenade, giving your old lady a stinky pinky on the back seat.

Last edited:

lil puff

Peeps who fit red brake calipers and tinted windows to their Renault Cleo. Because if any car screams out for high performance brakes it’s a Renault Cleo. Otherwise you’d overshoot the McDonald’s drive thru. And the tinted windows are essential to ensure privacy when you’re parked up down ‘Slags Wall’ on the promenade, giving your old lady a stinky pinky on the back seat.
LOL i love this

I had a dog who passed last year who no-bullshit walked right beside me, and would respond to verbal commands. She was the only one I ever trusted to not leash. She was also a Pom who loved everybody, the worst thing she would do is try to lick you to death. I generally agree though, dogs need a leash.

Sitting at a red light 12 fucking spaces away from the car in front of them.

I'm a Smith System instructor at work. Smith System is a defensive driving framework that a lot of businesses use. While 12 car lengths is rediculous, 15 feet of space is what I teach during the presentation. The reason is that if you are rear-ended, and pushed into the vehicle (or pedestrian, God forbid) in front of you the civil liability falls on you, as your vehicle struck the one in front of you. Now your insurance company can go after the person who struck you, but your insurance policy will still be on the hook for the impact of the vehicle in front of you. Always assume everybody else on the road is crazy, and trying to kill you.

There are times when I need to wave people foward in intersections, but that's because my trailer needs to take up the space that they're currently occupying. My advice to everybody here when dealing with semis, follow the rules of the road in the overwhelming number of situations. You guys don't know how much space we need, and trying to 'help' us will only waste everybody's time. In certain situations, like 4 way stops, we may need you to go ahead of us to make enough space so we can safely turn, and we will gesture to you to go on ahead.

This is really a work (Walmart) thing. But people asking "Do you have it in back?"

We don't. Our backroom is surprisingly small and most of it is used for upcoming seasonal crap. Like right now, it's full of air conditioners and pools and lawn mowers (which we got in February).

Former supermarket employee here that can attest to the shockingly small amount of back-stock space in modern retail stores. That being said, I did score a cheap-ass tv on Black Friday from Wal-Mart using that line. There was a pallet of tvs back there that everybody forgot about.

Top Bottom