• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List of known resolutions for next-gen games

Anteater

Nah. They have more than enough headroom anyway. The game is reported to currently run at 60fps, or close to anyway (average around 50fps). They're targeting 30fps so they have a lot of wiggle room for polish and added visual clarity.

Cool :D Infamous 2 was probably the smoothest open world game I've played this gen at native res, so I'm actually not too concern with the framerate, good to know they can keep up with the resolution.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
No. You don't set your gaming resolution at concept stage for technical reasons.

Indeed, the black bars from what they have said and their concept art shows that it was something they wanted to do quite a while ago, not something they did because they ran into a performance hurdle with the console.

And to be honest, there's really no reason to doubt Ready at Dawn at this point, unlike some companies they have no history that I know about of bullshitting us.

Wii U:

Mighty Switch Force HD = 1920 × 1080

Super Smash Bros. Wii U = 1920 × 1080

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD = 1920 × 1080

Scribblenauts = 1920 × 1080

Pikmin 3 = 1280 × 720

StuBurns

Banned
The debate about if the use of scope is for performance, or 'art', is kind of impossible to determine.

It could be as simple as someone saying 'films look cool in scope, lets do that', and a technical member of staff noting it would have notable fillrate advantages.

I remember people on GAF who were so sure that the black bar on Gran Turismo PSP was an excuse to save performance, and it ended up being optional.

nib95

Banned
I think calling it a 'filmic' effect is too vague. By nature, anything 16:10 or even 16:9 could be called that.

I think a more accurate description would be, they are really going for a Lawrence of Arabia -esque 'CinemaScope' effect; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CinemaScope

pIBDI5L.jpg

OpAIIqW.jpg

I think it's smart as it serves both the role of giving their visuals a more cinematic quality, as well as the obvious performance boost provided by the lower resolution without the problem of scaling artifacts. It will STILL turn some people off given the mandatory black bars, however, so it still represents a compromise.

Yea I agree. I mentioned in another thread, but I was pretty annoyed when the Blu-ray version of SkyFall came in 2:40:1, despite there being an IMAX cut of the film (which I watched at the cinema). There was an interview with Sam Mendes and the topic came up, he said his preferred aspect ratio and framing was the former, which is why the blu-ray shipped with it.

Drazgul

I don't know why people keep saying this. Even the concept art is at that aspect ratio.

It's a design decision.

They ought to make it an option then, if there's no technical issues( like with GT PSP StuBurns mentioned). For many people the black bars are an issue no matter how you try to justify it.

LastNac

They ought to make it an option then, if there's no technical issues( like with GT PSP StuBurns mentioned). For many people the black bars are an issue no matter how you try to justify it.
No I want to see it universally applied. Optional features always come of halfbaked.

StuBurns

Banned
That doesn't really make sense.

Guns are a design decision, should they make them optional too?

There's no question that the performance advantage will be used, it's not as if they'd choose to make the game less pretty than they could because they're 'cheating' on the aspect ratio.

rbanke

Why, because some people don't like it? If they are doing it for artistic reasons then it should be up to them to show us what they want us to see. The same with art style, control layout, color design, play style, theme, everything. Perhaps those should all be options as well.

Didn't realize the order was going to render in Letter box format. If they aren't going to render at native 1920x1080, I actually like that solution. Keep the horizontal native and crop the image (instead of having a smaller image that is stretched to fill the screen).

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: Most likely <1080p.

Indications here:

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=39287

Wind Waker HD = "beautiful HD 1080p graphics"
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze = "beautiful HD graphics"

Also, there are other hints of a <1080p resolution, like the fact that the E3 press images were not in 1080p for DKC:TF but were in 1080p for Wind Waker HD.

What?
That all points to dktf being 720p

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
rbanke said:
Why, because some people don't like it?

I know... its such a silly thing to complain about when BD movies frequently are presented at the same aspect/resolution.

I cannot express how badly this culture of pixel-counting depresses me, especially in a situation like this where there is just a single platform version so you cannot make an A<>B comparison where the change self-evidently was the result of memory/fillrate shortfall.

driver116

Eww, if the final game looks like that I'll seriously reconsider buying the game. That barely looks better than Infamous 1 or 2.

The image won't look sharp if the resolution does not match the resolution of your display. It will look like shit.

Please, did you even watch the gameplay footage they release after e3? The biggest problem Second Son has of right now is some pop-in issues - but these will be optimised out by launch.

Which is marketing talk for "we couldn't get an acceptable FPS rate with 1080p".

You're so very, very wrong.

Ushae

Banned
Eww, if the final game looks like that I'll seriously reconsider buying the game. That barely looks better than Infamous 1 or 2.

The image won't look sharp if the resolution does not match the resolution of your display. It will look like shit.

Wut? Is sweeping, blind statements your thing? Ryse looks amazing, even PS4 fans would agree. Credit should be given where its due. FYI Infamous looks even better.

Lady Gaia

You must be used to poorly developed games. Some games support their optional features quite well.

Some options are easier than others, because they have a more limited scope of impact. I've never seen a game that offers a first/third person perspective switch that I thought wouldn't have been better off picking one or the other and sticking with it. Framing and field of view can affect everything from cutscenes to the world layout, to the visibility of incoming attacks. I don't think this would make a particularly wise option, either.

artist

Banned
Wut? Is sweeping, blind statements your thing? Ryse looks amazing, even PS4 fans would agree. Credit should be given where its due. FYI Infamous looks even better.
The point isnt about Ryse looking amazing or looking meh, the point is Ryse would look even better at 1080p. And that's not even an opinion, its a fact.

What?
That all points to dktf being 720p

I'm just going to hope that you somehow didn't know that <1080p means less than (<) 1080p.

While I am excited for my PS4 for Sony and console Exclusives. This thread is exactly why I will almost always buy the game on my PC. Resolution and frame rate are absolutely key to IQ imo. It's really hard to justify buying a on a non-console exclusive game when developers cut the pixels and upscale, or leave huge frame rate dips in their games.

Gvaz

Banned
Then stick with PC?

No one is buying consoles for graphics but for exclusives, cost and convenience.

A console is a bit overpriced for getting just 1-2 games because the developer/publisher is too much of an asshole to not port it to the PC.

Literally the only reason I ever use my consoles is because of this reason. Otherwise I play it on my PC where I can get good control schemes and graphics.

If Sony/MS wants to drag me away from my pc, they need to at least appeal to my interests.

The game is going to be built with 2.40:1 aspect ratio in mind so there won't be anything worth mentioning in the "hidden" screen portion.

Can't believe a game like Killer Instinct gonna be 720p only, given the low graphics workload of 1vs1 fight games compared with other genres. Can be called laziness of the developers, or just a time-rushed game development for X1 launch?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Can't believe a game like Killer Instinct gonna be 720p only, given the low graphics workload of 1vs1 fight games compared with other genres. Can be called laziness of the developers, or just a time-rushed game development for X1 launch?

Budget, time rush and the need for locked 60fps, more than likely. The game is using a lot of cool particle effects and the stages seem fairly detailed. It's upsetting that the game is 720p, though. Most people who have played it haven't mentioned the resolution as a complaint, though. It's the same for Ryse, so maybe the Xbox One scales these games really nicely. I'm really curious to see both games in action. Maybe it'll sell me on lower resolutions being ok, or maybe I'll be annoyed with the image quality. Who knows?

Raistlin

It's a combination of the two. It gives the game a cinematic feel, but it also greatly reduces the number of pixels needing to be processed (25% less).
I suspect they are also widening the FOV by pulling back the camera ... not just adding letter boxing. So what they reduce in fillrate requirements, they increase in geometry, AI, etc.

Obviously this is assuming they did it for gameplay reasons.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I suspect they are also widening the FOV by pulling back the camera ... not just adding letter boxing. So what they reduce in fillrate requirements, they increase in geometry, AI, etc.

Obviously this is assuming they did it for gameplay reasons.

I should try running a performance test on one of the Dead Space games to see the performance difference between 16:9 and 2.40:1 since they actually implement 2.40:1 support perfectly.

KKRT00

I should try running a performance test on one of the Dead Space games to see the performance difference between 16:9 and 2.40:1 since they actually implement 2.40:1 support perfectly.

Increasing FOV doesnt affect FPS in any meaningful way on PC, at least i havent noticed any visible difference in any game. Reducing resolution though, thats another story.

Increasing FOV doesnt affect FPS in any meaningful way on PC, at least i havent noticed any visible difference in any game. Reducing resolution though, thats another story.

Increasing FOV will increase the amount of visible elements and as such will affect the render time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Increasing FOV will increase the amount of visible elements and as such will affect the render time.
Of course, but only be a very small amount (unless you go for an insanely high, fish-eye FOV which is just ugly).

I'd say it really doesn't have any meaningful impact on performance.

KKRT00

But thats insubstantial in comparison to decreasing resolution.

Examples with quite advanced rendering info displayed from CE 3.5 SDK:
You can also notice that fov 70 in 1080p gives about the same horizontal visibility as fov 55 in 1920x800.
1920x1080 cl_fov = 55 --- 31.9 fps
ibzTEYqW7hSq3T.png

1920x1080 cl_fov = 70 --- 31.2 fps
ibn2sZYXDIG6MU.png

1920x800 cl_fov = 55 --- 39.4 fps
ikMY6BLlnDjV9.png

1920x800p cl_fov = 70 --- 39.2 fps
iKduLv5CcNxe2.png

Sorry for chromatic aberration, but i've changed shading options before shots and forgot to set it up again to 0.5 [its 1.5 by default on every shading settings ;\]

===
@Liabe Brave
Crytek's games are always upgraded visually in comparison to earlier showings, not downgraded.

Ryse looks amazing, even PS4 fans would agree. Credit should be given where its due.
Ryse does look amazing in the recently released footage. Unfortunately, that's not what the game's going to look like, because that stuff is native 1080p and Ryse is really 900p. Will anything besides resolution be downgraded when we actually see the game? There's no way to tell (though the included "This does not represent final game quality" warning is suggestive).

PureGone

Banned
Um, plenty of people are buying the new consoles for graphics.

I was talking to guy comparing it to PC Graphics, no one is buying the consoles to get PC level graphics.

A console is a bit overpriced for getting just 1-2 games because the developer/publisher is too much of an asshole to not port it to the PC.

Literally the only reason I ever use my consoles is because of this reason. Otherwise I play it on my PC where I can get good control schemes and graphics.

If Sony/MS wants to drag me away from my pc, they need to at least appeal to my interests.

If you are buying a $400-$500 console for 2 games, then you shouldn't...

If you think that there will only be 1-2 games that wont be ported to PC, then you are delusional.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
But thats insubstantial in comparison to decreasing resolution.

Examples with quite advanced rendering info displayed from CE 3.5 SDK:
You can also notice that fov 70 in 1080p gives about the same horizontal visibility as fov 55 in 1920x800.

Sorry for chromatic aberration, but i've changed shading options before shots and forgot to set it up again to 0.5 [its 1.5 by default on every shading settings ;\]

===
@Liabe Brave
Crytek's games are always upgraded visually in comparison to earlier showings, not downgraded.

Damn, literally fractions of a frame difference with very obvious FOV differences while the resolution change netted 8 frames.

Top Bottom