• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List of pc games with HDR?

I added a few more that I discovered, it's now 17.

I also added Alien: Isolation, which isn't technically HDR, because it doesn't fill the full standard, but it does have 10-bit colour depth, which is like half of the HDR10 standard.
In my eyes that means it supports HDR, just not fully.

That’s not quite right though. It supports higher precision but still operates within a traditional color gamut. It won’t actually take advantage of the new colors that are possible in P3 color gamut and above. So it has neither the brightness dynamic range or the color range of HDR.

KageMaru

For anyone who's tried HDR in RE7, does it make the game much darker for you? It's not crushing black dark as it's still very playable, but I've been wondering if it's displaying properly on my TV.

effcol

Neo Member
That’s not quite right though. It supports higher precision but still operates within a traditional color gamut. It won’t actually take advantage of the new colors that are possible in P3 color gamut and above. So it has neither the brightness dynamic range or the color range of HDR.

Just looked it up, yeah it doesn't seem like Alien Isolation supports Wide colour Gamut :/
I'm not sure how to classify it then, it supports one aspect, not the other 2... and there's no 'partially supported' option on PC Gaming Wiki. Perhaps 'moddable' with a note saying that it only allows 10-bit colour and not the other aspects of HDR?

effcol

Neo Member
I don't think Alien Isolation has "HDR". It has an option for 'deep color' e.g 10 bit color, but not HDR.
And No Man's Sky doesn't have HDR at all. There's an option hidden in the .ini file but it doesn't do anything.

HDR was fully added in the Pathfinder update, it says that in the actual wiki article.

And yeah the Alien Isolation part also says that in the wiki article, I'm just trying to figure out how to classify it, as it does support part of the standard, but not the colour gamut or brightness.

Paragon

In the game's settings, there's a 'Deep Colour' option, if you turn that on it'll enable 10-bit colour. On an SDR screen it does nothing, but on a HDR screen, it'll start showing the expanded colours that HDR has.
The only thing it doesn't have is the extra brightness, so it won't be able to reach 1000-4000 nits like officially supported HDR games can.
Though the nature of 10-bit colour depth means that it can show a bit brighter than the the SDR 8-bit colour depth, so you do still get some advantage in brightness.
10-bit SDR is not HDR. Deep Color is an HDMI 1.3 feature from 2006.
Enabling it improves gradation (less banding) whether you are using an HDR screen or not.
Bit-depth has nothing to do with brightness in SDR.
Deep Color Disabled:
8-bite8xveems70.jpg

Deep Color Enabled:
10-bit6uybqtgsbs.jpg

If your TV is switching into HDR mode, which may also put it into wide gamut mode, that is a bug - or possibly just how the driver handles things, since it's the only game I'm aware of which supported Deep Color. The game does not support HDR or wide gamut color.

carsar

So is there any news on pc hdr games?
I was wondering if fifa 18 had HDR on pc, but no luck.
I guess "No Man's Sky" from that list has no hdr support at all.

carsar

It's sad that MEA devs have refused to fix HDR. It's very easy to blame microsoft and their update, however most of HDR games works properly at this moment

Nezacant

For anyone who's tried HDR in RE7, does it make the game much darker for you? It's not crushing black dark as it's still very playable, but I've been wondering if it's displaying properly on my TV.

Same here. It is much darker but I think that's intended.

III-V

Let’s not muddy the water about what HDR is. Much of what has been discussed is not HDR. Bit depth is just that, 10 bit SDR. Hadn’t uses a completely different ‘gamma’ that old games weren’t graded against.

I would be surprised if any game to date has been developed using HDR-10 grading and WCG.

Everthyput there has only been remapped to the best of my knowledge.

Yes, but that's the intention. Blacks are now inky and any bright lights really stand out.

hlhbk

Does anyone know why HDR always turns on now with the newer NVidia drivers even if you are at the desktop? It looks terrible.

mario_O

Remember that you need to change your rgb TV settings from 'Full' to 'Limited' when playing in HDR. 10 bit 4:2:2 limited is as high as we can go with games, at 60fps. That might be why it looks very dark for you.

Paragon

Seriously. There was a demo specifically showcasing this for HL2.
Folks acting like HDR is new???
Older games had the option to enable HDR rendering, but the output was still SDR. (0-100 nits brightness, BT.709 color)
It has become so standardized, that HDR rendering is no longer even an option in most games.
The new thing is HDR output to an HDR-capable display. (500 nits+ brightness, wide gamut color, high bit-depth)
I still don't understand why people take photographs of HDR to show people what "it kinda looks like"
You can show relative differences with a photograph, but not absolute differences.
Most photographs that people post of HDR displays don't show anything useful though.

Izuna

Banned
I'm wondering this too. With DX9 games and some type of DX9 instruction interception would it be possible?

Durante might now.

The best you can get is something like Samsung's Video Enhancer, which would oversaturate a lot (mostly just expanding the colour space).

Though, such a thing would be nice in 2D cartoon games if it was done properly.

The problem would be that it would likely blind you depending on the content.

Other games would look terrible.

Seriously. There was a demo specifically showcasing this for HL2.

Folks acting like HDR is new???

Nice trolling.

Gitaroo

New nvidia driver makes things even worse for Mass Effect, when I boot up the game it wont turn on hdr, when I quit the game it forces my desktop to output hdr, I had to turn off hdr in windows display setting. If I turn on hdr in windows display first then boot up mass effect force HDR to turn off. Other games like Nex Machina still works fine.

JarrodL

Redout, Vanquish, RE7, Shadow Warrior 2, Mass Effect: A, Half Life 2, Hitman, Paragon, Witness, Obduction,.

I can't find a master list. I was demoted to Jr. a while ago not sure if it is permanent, but I will update games I'm going through right now (over 1000 games lol), not going through all of them ie bundle crap but I will check most games and post them in here.

Definitely not Vanquish or Half-Life 2. The HDR in their graphic options are not the hardware HDR discussed in this thread.

A.Romero

Nex Machina has good support for HDR, it doesn't look exaggerated and works welll with the game aesthetics.

I haven't had the chance to really experiment RE7 but it didn't look too dark for me. Actually it has the best calibration tools from all the tools that I've tried.

Do you guys know of other games coming up that support it?

I'd kill for an Arcsys game to be supported.

Gitaroo

Rise of the tomb raider
Deus EX mankind divided
The Surge
Forza Horizon 3
Gear of War 4
Homefront 2

These games need patches as they support HDR on consoles.

effcol

Neo Member
There's already a link to a list of supported games that's kept up to date as new games come out in the thread. Here's a link to it again.

There's currently 25 supported games, though Final Fantasy XV, Metro Exodus and Anthem aren't out yet.

Gitaroo

There's already a link to a list of supported games that's kept up to date as new games come out in the thread. Here's a link to it again.

There's currently 25 supported games, though Final Fantasy XV, Metro Exodus and Anthem aren't out yet.

they shouldn't include games that are not out, some devs are full of shit, you can't take their word for it unless you actually see it. Rez Infinite does not support HDR I don't think.

effcol

Neo Member
This list is not accurate. I just purchased Rez and it doesn't support HDR.

It's a list based on PCGamingWiki articles. Feel free to update game wiki pages with correct /updated information yourself. The list will be updated automatically based on the wiki pages updates.

I've had several people confirm to me that PC Rez Infinite does have HDR support, but If you can confirm yourself that it doesn't have support, please update the wiki page with that info :)

A.Romero

It's a list based on PCGamingWiki articles. Feel free to update game wiki pages with correct /updated information yourself. The list will be updated automatically based on the wiki pages updates.

I've had several people confirm to me that PC Rez Infinite does have HDR support, but If you can confirm yourself that it doesn't have support, please update the wiki page with that info :)

Maybe I'm missing something.

Is there supposed to be a menu setting or a ini file should be edited?

Top Bottom