• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List of the devs of HL3 & L4D3 and what the hell Church & Hocking are working on

No way, man. I think viewing SteamOS in the same vein as Microsoft and Sony's consoles, as in competition, is really missing the point of what their OS is about, especially in these early days. L4D3 and HL3 will end up on next generation consoles, I'd bet on it.

So what is their OS about?

Edit: please ignore my question if it's considered off topic.

The following is the list of the HL3 devs, after I removed those that haven't been credited in games prior to L4D (aka the list includes only the people that have worked on Valve games up to The Orange Box, so they likely have worked on at least one HL game).

Alex Vlachos
Ariel Diaz
Bill Van Buren
Bill Fletcher
Chris Chin
Jess Cliffe
Dario Casali
David Speyrer
Erik Wolpaw
Jeremy Bennett
Jeff Lane
Jeff Ballinger
Jeff Hameluck
Jim Hughes
John Guthrie
Josh Weier
Kelly Bailey
Ken Birdwell
Marc Laidlaw
Randy Lundeen
David Sawyer
Steve Kalning
Ted Backman
Tristan Reidford
Torsten Zabka
Steve Bond

So 26 out of the 47 HL3 devs are (likely) HL "veterans". Not bad at all. Several of them actually have been with Valve since HL1.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So what is their OS about?

Edit: please ignore my question if it's considered off topic.

Branching out their service, which is Steam, onto as many platforms as possible. It's a long term thing. The benefit of people using Steam isn't just to play Valve exclusives, it's to access a library of games from all kinds of developers. And it's a long term, slow burn thing. Much like Valve built the framework for their digital service future with Steam way-back-when it first released, now they're laying the groundwork for Steam becoming more than a piece of software you download alongside your operating system.

As diverse as Valve is in services and features, they really cannot compete in the home console space, not with a system that, initially, is going to trail behind other platforms in terms of support and market penetration. It doesn't really do them any favours to stick their games exclusively on SteamOS. It forces consumers already sold on Microsoft and Sony to either grab a new system or just ignore it, and they'll go with the latter because Valve does not have the sway of these companies.

SteamOS isn't a platform like Sony/Microsoft's consoles, it's software like Steam was, and the objective is to get it installed on a heap of shit, not force people to make the jump from existing platforms. Not this early. And honestly, Half-Life 3 / Left 4 Dead 3 are not enough to get people moving from their Xbox and PlayStation.

I could be wrong, but I fully expect both of those games to launch on consoles alongside PC.

yeah, I hope if they develop for consoles, it's going to be next-gen only. Don't want them to bog down, compromise for current gen.

Branching out their service, which is Steam, onto as many platforms as possible. It's a long term thing. The benefit of people using Steam isn't just to play Valve exclusives, it's to access a library of games from all kinds of developers.

I agree, but the simple truth is this: Steam will never be allowed on home consoles, so if Valve wants Steam to expand in the living room it has only one avenue: SteamOS. Having Valve games available on other living room platforms lessens the chance of consumers buying a Steam Machine, strengthens the position of Valve's living room competitors and denies SteamOs of any sort of mass market hook.

Simply put, Valve has tons of reasons to keep its games exclusive and only one reason not to: money. Since it has quite enough of that as it is, I am certain that Valve will sacrifice part of its game sales in order to give SteamOS a fighting chance in the living room.

Lingitiz

I agree, but the simple truth is this: Steam will never be allowed on home consoles, so if Valve wants Steam to expand in the living room it has only one avenue: SteamOS. Having Valve games available on other living room platforms lessens the chance of consumers buying a Steam Machine, strengthens the position of Valve's living room competitors and denies SteamOs of any sort of mass market hook.

Simply put, Valve has tons of reasons to keep its games exclusive and only one reason not to: money. Since it has quite enough of that as it is, I am certain that Valve will sacrifice part of its game sales in order to give SteamOS a fighting chance in the living room.

It's possible Valve could get away with doing both. They can still release on consoles but show off the flexibility of the PC versions. L4D2, TF2, CSGO, and to a lesser extent Portal 2, are very different games on PC when you factor in the constant updates, mods, custom servers, etc. I'm expecting Half Life 3 to have some sort of service based thing, whether it's easy access to creating content in Source 2, or really entry level mod/custom content tools that you're not gonna get on a console.

It doesn't really have to be an either or type situation. They can still likely do what they've been doing: release games on consoles but be more active in demonstrating the reasons why someone would want to come over and play the Steam versions.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
A coworker just trolled me then.
Thanks guys! >__<

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
If I may suggest, update the OP to note that Mike Morasky wrote the music for several of Valve's more recent titles, including the Left 4 Dead 1+2, TF2, and Portal 2 soundtracks.

It's possible Valve could get away with doing both.

It's possible, but is it logical? Think about it. Valve wants to expand Steam to the living room, where it faces competition from three big, experienced companies with significant resources, huge mindshare and a sizeable portfolio of exclusive titles we usually call "system sellers". And you guys are saying that Valve will squander its best chance at stealing away customers from them by releasing its games on its competitors' platforms. If that is the case, I only have one question: who in their right mind would buy a Steambox over a PS4 or an Xbox One?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Damn excited that Kelly Bailey is back- the music from Half Life 2 and the episodes were really god-tier. Mike Morasky working alongside should make some good stuff!

Damn excited that Kelly Bailey is back- the music from Half Life 2 and the episodes were really god-tier. Mike Morasky working alongside should make some good stuff!

It's great but I'd like a little more of it. Some parts of Half-Life 2 would be much more exciting with the proper soundtrack.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It's possible, but is it logical? Think about it. Valve wants to expand Steam to the living room, where it faces competition from three big, experienced companies with significant resources, huge mindshare and a sizeable portfolio of exclusive titles we usually call "system sellers". And you guys are saying that Valve will squander its best chance at stealing away customers from them by releasing its games on its competitors' platforms. If that is the case, I only have one question: who in their right mind would buy a Steambox over a PS4 or an Xbox One?

Left 4 Dead 3, Half-Life 3, and other future major releases from Valve will be available on consoles. Why is this so hard to accept?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bailey being back at Valve, and working on HL3, is the best news I've heard all day (granted, it's only 4am). F-STOP apparently sitting in suspended animation makes me sad, though; I was certain that Wolpaw and co. were cagey about the game's mechanic because it was being made into a proper Portal prequel or perhaps its own thing.

Lingitiz

I think of the SteamOS as more of a long term game plan than an immediate attempt to force people onto their platform. When Valve says they're partnering with other hardware manufacturers, I'm thinking Dell, Alienware, etc. SteamOS provides options, and is not intended to be another console in the same way as the other X1 and PS4. SteamOS provides another option for consumers where they can buy a customizable, yet prebuilt gaming PC that's also compatible with tenfoot interfaces. They are not going to force people to buy this thing, which is probably why it's going to be a fairly slow rollout when they start releasing them. It's a long term game for Valve, one that covers their own ass if MS continues to go in a closed direction.

So in terms of making their own games exclusive to Steam, it seems contrary to what Valve is about. Their intent is to get people on Steam, and Steam Machines represent another way for that to happen. At the same time, they don't need to force people over to the platform right at this moment. Can I see a timed exclusive type thing or perhaps exclusivity based on the fact that consoles don't allow Valve to manage a service based infrastructure like TF2 or Dota 2? Maybe. However I don't see Valve being particularly in need of sacrificing a huge part of their profit so soon.

Reckoner

iOkTnNiBm6qHT.gif

where's that from?

StuBurns

Banned
Both games will be on the consoles, why wouldn't they be? It's a huge revenue stream that cutting off doesn't benefit them at all.

No PS360 owner is going to buy a SteamMachine instead of those follow up systems for Half-Life 3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Content streaming is sure to be the big fix in Source 2, and I totally expect Left 4 Dead 3 to demonstrate this feature with no load time between safe rooms.

Guy.brush

Hocking on L4D3?

I hope that means one thing first and foremost: more open world style gameplay. Less linearity.
After DAYZ and STATE OF DECAY having L4D3 be a small evolution of 1 & 2 would probably be a mistake. It needs a big injection of new infected blood.

Top Bottom