• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List of the devs of HL3 & L4D3 and what the hell Church & Hocking are working on

AJ_Wings

Amazing, probably the best sound design of the generation.

Dem creaky pipes.

Yeah, it was absolutely amazing. Thing is the sound mixing in that game was completely bizarre. I remember some sound effects not triggering if you're in the middle of a busy scene like say a gunfight.

Silky

Banned
I still refuse to believe...!

I want to see a fucking Game Informer cover with a big "3" on the front of it before I commit to any hype. Until then? This is all speculation.

(2014 is the 10th anniversary of HL2 isn't it.)

Content streaming is sure to be the big fix in Source 2, and I totally expect Left 4 Dead 3 to demonstrate this feature with no load time between safe rooms.

I'd love if they actually went overboard with this, such that you can jump immediately from the main menu into a new or saved game without any loading. But maybe that's black voodoo magic not possible on anything besides ssd's.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Church and Hocking on L4D3?

That could be pretty darn interesting. Odds of it being another super safe sequel like l4d2 have shrunk considerably.

Kalnos

Banned
I can't see L4D3 being an iteration. They need to add a competitive mode that doesn't end in 5 minutes due to ragequitting.

friz898

Steve Bond is an outstanding guy.

John Guthrie is pretty comical.

Dario Casali cracked me up with his English accent. I'll never forget him saying "I'm so fucking pissed right now" and me immediately asking "Why is Dario mad?" That's when I learned that pissed didn't mean the same as it did in America.

I have played and finished DS1 & 2 (not 3), that's not what I meant. What I meant was that I do not remember the sound design being anything special in DS. But maybe I forgot since I haven't played it since it came out, idk..

Playing Dead Space 1 and 2 with surround sound or headphones are enough to give me chills just because of the positional audio. The first game almost goes overboard with all the ambient noises.

Yeah, it was absolutely amazing. Thing is the sound mixing in that game was completely bizarre. I remember some sound effects not triggering if you're in the middle of a busy scene like say a gunfight.

Stand in the main section of the lower wharf in Neptune's Bounty with headphones. Listen intently. You will hear seagulls in the distance. Same goes for the atrium of Artemis Suites in Apollo Square. Only you'll end up hearing dogs barking in the difference. Feels like a slum.

So what is their OS about?

Expanding the number of different places the games they sell can be played.

It's possible, but is it logical? Think about it. Valve wants to expand Steam to the living room, where it faces competition from three big, experienced companies with significant resources, huge mindshare and a sizeable portfolio of exclusive titles we usually call "system sellers"

Valve trying to compete directly with Sony/Microsoft in the same marketplace would be pants-on-head moronic and they'd get crushed. SteamOS and Steam Machines go in the same room as consoles but they aren't remotely the same kind of product.

Edit: To be honest I don't even understand why people still think of Valve as a third party developer.

Because we pay attention both to what they say about their strategy and how it resembles the strategies of other companies? :p

Let me give you a thought exercise here. Google makes the wildly successful Android mobile OS. So: why do they still make apps for Gmail and Maps available on iOS?

Let me give you a thought exercise here. Google makes the wildly successful Android mobile OS. So: why do they still make apps for Gmail and Maps available on iOS?

Two reasons, one Android related and one business related. One, because those services work as a Trojan horse for Google, hooking people to the Google ecosystem and easing any transition from iOS to Android. Two, because Google's business is based on advertising and services so it wants as many users as possible using its services.

None of these reasons apply to Valve. Valve's main business is Steam, so it's in the company's best interests to get Steam in front of as many eyeballs as possible. This is why Steam and Valve games will be available for Windows and MacOS for years to come, because on those platforms Steam works as a Trojan horse, hooking users to the Valve ecosystem and easing any transition from these OSes to SteamOS.

The living room is nothing like that. There Valve can't use its games to get people hooked into Steam since platform holders will not allow it. A game doesn't work the same way as a service, since it's rather disposable: you play it for some time and then move on to something else, while the users of Gmail for instance are not going to pack up and move to Hotmail after a few months.

Ergo, if we accept that Valve's main business is Steam, Valve accomplishes nothing by releasing its games on console platforms. Quite the opposite, it gives gamers a reason to skip its own platform (SteamOS) and stay with Microsoft and Sony.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wouldn't it be nice...
641 1,668 Day of Defeat: Source
0 0 Day of Defeat

Saoirse-Ronan-on-the-Graham-Norton-Show-Gifs-saoirse-ronan-33884552-160-160.gif

Not by me it hasn't! 24/7 Avalanche, Piats all day long!

I would like it if they could give it the GO treatment so people stop playing source and its incredibly shitty hitboxes :/

JaseC

Nah, that would be Ricochet. It only exists as a byword for Half-Life 3 now :p

DoD doesn't even have that in terms of developer acknowledgement. They're two unfortunate peas in a pod.

Sneds

Ergo, if we accept that Valve's main business is Steam, Valve accomplishes nothing by releasing its games on console platforms. Quite the opposite, it gives gamers a reason to skip its own platform (SteamOS) and stay with Microsoft and Sony.

There's a tension between long-term goals of moving people to Steam on PC and short-term goal of making profitable video games. Valve sell a lot of units on consoles.

StuBurns

Banned
There's a tension between long-term goals of moving people to Steam on PC and short-term goal of making profitable video games. Valve sell a lot of units on consoles.
They also won't convert any console gamers by withholding games.

How many people decided to buy a PC instead of a PS3 because L4D didn't go there? Probably none. How many people were kickstarted into Steam because they got a free copy of Portal 2 for Steam with their PS3 version? Probably a bunch.

Valve's games don't have enough traction in the console community to make the SteamMachines serious competition for the next-gen consoles. Valve would be far better off supporting PS4/XBO aggressively, then doing a big SteamMachine push in five years with an exclusive game. By then, the PS4/XBO will be dated, but still a couple of years away from their follow up machines.

It's way too early to be going for the throat so aggressively.

JaseC

Pssh. Ricochet doesn't even have a spot on Valve's games page. That's how intently they've gone about forgetting it :p

Yeah, but the two are both broken-hearted all the same -- one is referenced surreptitiously to refer to HL3 but is otherwise ignored whereas the other has a small spot on Valve's website but is otherwise ignored. ;)

DoD doesn't even have that in terms of developer acknowledgement. They're two unfortunate peas in a pod.

1.6 had a dedicated fanbase that didn't survive the split caused by DoD Source. CS only did cause of it's huge player base. But DoD was split then 1.6 was abandoned and Source stagnated. There was a good update where they fixed a lot of the stuff that was an issue but it came way too late.

Top Bottom