• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List Your Top 5 Games of the Year [2022]

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It's been a fantastic year for gaming, with a wide range of innovative and exciting titles that have captivated players around the world. From immersive open-world adventures to challenging strategy games and pulse-pounding action titles, there's something for every type of gamer on this list of the year's best games. Get ready to level up - these are the games you won't want to miss!

The_hunter

1. Metal gear solid 3 (First time playing it, I was incredibly delighted by it. Favourite video game of all time.)
  2. Elden ring
  3. Devil may cry 5
  4. Bayonetta 2
  5. Uncharted 4

HYDE

Banned
1. Elden Ring PS5
2. God War Ragnarok PS5
3. Bayonetta 3 Switch
4. Splatoon 3 Switch
5. Horizon Forbidden West PS5

Jennings

1. Sekiro - 213h - Xbox One X
  2. Elden Ring - 451h - Xbox One X
  3. Rimworld Console Edition - 193h - Xbox Series X
  4. Fallout 4 - 351h - Xbox Series X
  5. NASCAR Heat Ultimate Edition - 120h - Switch

Last edited:

Markio128

1. GT7
2. HFW
3. GOW:R
4. Cyberpunk
5. Spider-man

Elden Ring has also been great, but I haven’t finished it yet, so it seems wrong to put it in the top 5.

Honourable mentions go to Sifu, Stray, NFS U, Slay the spire, TW3 and WRC.

Mr Hyde

Elden Ring
Horizon Forbidden West
Spiderman Miles Morales
God of War Ragnarok
AC Valhalla

Honorable mention to Turtles Cowabunga collection.

Didn't really play many games this year. Elden Ring, Horizon and Valhalla took a lot of huge chunks of the year, leaving very little room for any other games.

Last edited:

Aurelius

1. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
2. Return to Monkey Island
3. Metroid Dread
4. Stray
5. Metro Exodus

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
  1. Sekiro - 213h - Xbox One X
  2. Elden Ring - 451h - Xbox One X
  3. Rimworld Console Edition - 193h - Xbox Series X
  4. Fallout 4 - 351h - Xbox Series X
  5. NASCAR Heat Ultimate Edition - 120h - Switch
1328 hours= 55 days

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

1. CyberPunk 2077 - I finally started playing once I realized it was stable on PS5 and I loved every second of it. I've never felt so cool while playing a game before.
  2. Elden Ring - This feels like the culmination of the entire soulsbourne game series. Its huge, beautiful, and amazing. I've never played a game that rewarded exploration like this one. I can still recall the feeling of just riding on horseback, turning a corner, and discovering an entire castle to go explore. There is nothing quite like it.
  3. Final Fantasy VII Remake - I'm a little late to the party on completing this. I started it at launch and put it down in Chapter 11. I adore FF7, and didn't want to finish the remake until Part 2 was announced. I was afraid I would never get a resolution to the remake story. Well, we got Reunion and Rebirth announced this year and I went ahead and finished remake. Omg it was beautiful and so damn good. I love this game and can't wait for more!
  4. Resident Evil 2 Remake - I also bought this at launch and just never had the time. I played through this past October and was blown away. This game feels amazingly crafted and the police station is one of my favorite game settings now.
  5. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - Very late to the party on this one. I've always adored the art style but was intimidated by the gambit system. I finally took the plunge and found a gem of a FF game. I love the story and characters (even Vaan), and it world of Ivalice was a great mix of fantasy and sci-fi. I'm going to continue my FF kick by starting the behemoth that is XIV once I finish Ragnarok.
Honorable Mention: God of War Ragnarok - I'm not finished with the game yet (about halfway) and I'm loving it so far. It started slow (after first boss), but really kicks up and I'm addicted now. If I had to guess, I would place this as number 4 and bounce XII out of the top 5.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Elden Ring - PS5
--About a 100 hours end and near the end game. It's been a fantastic experience so far and savoring it all up.

Ghost of Tsushima (PS5 - PS4 non director's cut w/ps5 patch)
--Not much to say but play it for yourself. The game is gorgeous and the ps5 patch makes it buttery smooth.

Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch)
--It's always been on my backlog to play and I finally played it this year. Nintendo's art direction is always top notch and always make wonder what they could produce on much more powerful hardware

As Dusk Falls (Xbox Series X)
--Only did one playthrough, but being able to see all the branching paths once you finish a chapter is great tool if anyone wanted to go back and make decision changes. I was really surprised at the direction the game routes went when listening to other people talk about it.

Deliver Us the Moon (Steam)
--Don't know why I had this on my wishlist but it went on sale and I bought it. This is a walking simulator with very light puzzle elements. Very short...took me about 6 hours to finish.

Yakuza 0 (Xbox Series X)
-Adding this in as a 6th because I haven't finished Elden Ring. Only ever heard great things about the series and this was a recommended starting point. 80+ hours I put in (Real Estate Royale and Cabret Club I really sunk hours into and needed if you want to unlock higher tiers of upgrades). I am now installing the remake of the first game. This game sold Gamepass to me.

Last edited:

ungalo

Grateful to have the opportunity to say this year sucked again. I like to say it a lot.

The best games this year were games i replayed. Kingdom Come, Bayonetta 1, Dishonored, Mankind Divided, Cyberpunk...i was in a RPG/immersive sim frenzy, great games. But even games like Kingdom of Amalur or Darksiders i replayed and liked...

For this year i would say as a definitive ranking :

1- Elden Ring (Series X)
2- Bayonetta 3 (Switch)
3) Chained Echoes (Gamepass)
4) High on Life (Gamepass)
5) Vampire Survivors (Gamepass)

I think i bought like 3 games and otherwise it was mostly Gamepass. I still need to try Norco, Signalis and other stuff but not very motivated since what i played lately on Gamepass wasn't bad but pretty average.

AndrewRyan

The Ascent
Bayonetta 3
God of War (2018 PC)
Sekiro
Geometry Wars 3

What an absolutely incredible year of gaming due to the Steam Deck and upgrading my pc with a 3080 and 5800x3D. Replayed some of my favs like Dishonored 2, Dues Ex: Mankind Divided, Half Life Alyx and they never looked so good, ran so smooth or felt so great. My 2022 gaming motto is "Old games are new again!"

Last edited:

RayBoy

1) Snatcher (SEGA CD)
2) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge (PC)
3) God of War Ragnarok (PS4)
4) Return to Monkey Island (PC)
5) Kurukuru Kururin (GBA)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
1. GT7
2. Ragnarok
3. Forbiden West
4. Lou Part 1
5. Plague Tale Requiem
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Elden Ring
Gran Turismo 7
Midnight Suns

Honorable Mention: Dying Light 2
Glad to see some love for GT7. I started playing it recently (after finalizing my top 5 of the year), and my God it's so addictive and well done.

Had I played GT7 earlier, it'd have easily made my list.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
1. Elden Ring
2. Tinykin
3. Splatoon 3
4. Portal Companion Collection
5. Klonoa Fantasy Reverie

Honourable mentions to High on Life and Requiem, which I’m yet to complete, and Tunic.
Tinykin is in my backlog; I have heard lots of good things about it.

Did you not play any PlayStation game this year?

Boss Man

1. Elden Ring
2. God of War: Ragnarok

Also had a lot of fun with the Crusader Kings III console release but don’t think it belongs on the list.

Elden Ring (PC)
Diablo 2 Resurrected (PC)
Fallout: New Vegas w/ 27 mods installed (PC)

I'm struggling to think of any other highlight this year, damn did it flew fast. Yep, these are the best games i've played all year.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Tinykin is in my backlog; I have heard lots of good things about it.

Did you not play any PlayStation game this year?
I bought Forbidden West, but it’s still in my backlog.

On PS5 I completed Elden Ring, Lost Legacy, Stray and Crash 4 this year. Don’t have a bad word to say about any of them.

I’ll come to Ragnorök in a couple of years.

Top Bottom