• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Big Planet fails to ship 1.4 million, westical's acc't buried in Nevada desert

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
People need to start picking up some of those shipped copys :)

Just tryed some Roller Coaster levels made by some Jp dude. Amazing stuff

Opiate

iceatcs said:
Well, it was in CES Sony thread.

Don't forget PSN account is not exclusive to PS3

Ah yes, I had forgotten this. What other devices allow one to create a PSN account?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
BUT WERE THEY ALL SOLD AT 60 DOLLARS APIECE

ONLY WITH THIS INFORMATION CAN WE ASSESS THE TRUE FAILURE OF THIS SO-CALLED FRANCHISE

I SPIT AT THEE

*spit*

test_account

XP-39C²
1.3 million shipped probably means that at least (or around) 1 million copies are sold to consumers. Not too bad in my opinion! :)

DevelopmentArrested said:
shipped /=\ sold
Maybe they mean sold to retailers, but i dont know if that changes anything though.

EDIT: I now see that thechristoph already mentioned the sold to retailers part :)

bishoptl said:
BUT WERE THEY ALL SOLD AT 60 DOLLARS APIECE

ONLY WITH THIS INFORMATION CAN WE ASSESS THE TRUE FAILURE OF THIS SO-CALLED FRANCHISE

I SPIT AT THEE

*spit*
35i6hky.gif

Glix

shipped /=\ sold

Little Big Planet has sold 1.3 million copies, which we can all assume is shipped to retailer

Anything not already in the OP to add?

Also, congrats to Sony and MM, it is one hell of an awesome game.

theBishop

Banned
1.3 million shipped (lol, not sold, liars) is not nearly enough when you consider how huge the team was and what they spent on marketing. Some SCE managers definitely got fired over this one.

theBishop said:
1.3 million shipped (lol, not sold, liars) is not nearly enough when you consider how huge the team was and what they spent on marketing. Some SCE managers definitely got fired over this one.
:lol

theBishop said:
wasn't it like 5-6 people? also, most PR not involving NPD numbers uses shipped to retail as sold.

and considering the lack of commercials, they couldn't have spent *that* much on marketing... though they did TALK like they were going to go on some massive media blitz...

Mindlog

theBishop said:

I was under the impression you didn't enjoy amateur GAF sales analysis.

spwolf said:
doesnt PSN >>>> XBL warrant Live free? Otherwise, why wouldnt they be making money on it? Seriously too.
If people are willing to pay for it than that's fine, it's a big money bringer for Microsoft and does have more going on compared to PSN at the moment. Kind of like HOME is doing well for Sony but most of us don't use it. You have a choice.

eXistor

I did my job by buying it at launch, but I still haven't even played it...Persona 4 owns me at the moment.

Doc Evils

theBishop said:

20 people is HUMONGOUS.

CrushDance said:
If people are willing to play for it than that's fine, it's a big money bringer for Microsoft and does have more going on compared to PSN at the moment. Kind of like HOME is doing well for Sony but most of us don't use it. You have a choice.

lol wut

eXistor said:
I did my job by buying it at launch, but I still haven't even played it...Persona 4 owns me at the moment.

Same.. I could care less about popularity. After all, my fav show is in my name... I just wish I had more fun with the game itself. After I beat the singleplayer and MGS levels, I can't be bothered to play it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Opiate said:
Also, PSN accounts are at 17 million, but I find this information essentially meaningless because it clearly isn't accounting for multiple accounts on the same machine.

what can they do? It's the same thing with the Live account numbers, nothing they can do about it.

Opiate

Can we please just celebrate this game selling 1.3 million copies, instead of fighting over shipped vs. sold? I tried to avoid this. I figured if I put shipped in, the "is this shipped?" people wouldn't start a fight, but instead all I've done is reverse the course and have people ask, "is this sold?"

It's shipped, every single time. They always report shipped. To the publisher, "shipped" is "sold" because their customer is the retail chain, who then turns around and sells it to the customer. The end.

iceatcs

It is true :O
ONE MILLION DOLLAR!

Opiate said:
Can we please just celebrate this game selling 1.3 million copies, instead of fighting over shipped vs. sold? I tried to avoid this. I figured if I put shipped in, the "is this shipped?" people wouldn't start a fight, but instead all I've done is reverse the course and have people ask, "is this sold?"

It's shipped, every single time. They always report shipped. To the publisher, "shipped" is "sold" because their customer is the retail chain, who then turns around and sells it to the customer. The end.
Well you all have to copy kotaku not twist a bit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Faceless Master said:
wasn't it like 5-6 people? also, most PR not involving NPD numbers uses shipped to retail as sold.

and considering the lack of commercials, they couldn't have spent *that* much on marketing... though they did TALK like they were going to go on some massive media blitz...

They spent a fair amount here in the UK/Ireland. There were a lot of TV ads once they got going, and a lot of 'on the ground' marketing (even a couple of dedicated LBP temporary stores going around in the UK). I doubt they spent more on any other title this year, here.

Everybody does the shipped vs sold thing. How's that a surprise? Shit, Microsoft does it all the time but nobody balks at that. Hell, they probably include replacement units in the number.

Get over it?

Mindlog

Opiate said:

It's a standard DF shtick ;\

I was amused when the crew moved into OT for a little while to evangelize again. It's getting so so tired.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Bomba? :lol GO LBP!

I had a blast with the MGS4 pack the other day. If Sony keeps delivering content of this quality I'll keep paying and playing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
andycapps said:
$1 million in content sold in 2 1/2 weeks. Read the CES Sony Keynote notes.

3.x million people CAN apparently be wrong :|

Sony should have a LBP week in Home as penance, or something. Hopefully they can get the Home people hooked on it or something.

lol wut

Same.. I could care less about popularity. After all, my fav show is in my name... I just wish I had more fun with the game itself. After I beat the singleplayer and MGS levels, I can't be bothered to play it.
$1,000,000 in 2 weeks with barely any content.

Opiate

levious said:
what can they do? It's the same thing with the Live account numbers, nothing they can do about it.

Definitely, I avoid the Live stuff too. I'm not suggesting they're being false, I'm just saying it's not very valuable information.

With the LBP data, we can assume that the number of games sold to customers is reasonably close to that 1.3 million sold to retailers. Furthermore, we can assume that it will likely go on to sell that full 1.3 million and more.

With PSN accounts, it's entirely possible that there are only 8 million people with PSN IDs. Honestly, that doesn't seem like an absurd claim to me: I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn that the average PS3 has 2 accounts on it. Maybe it's not, and it's 1.5 accounts, in which case there are more like 12.5 million people who have gone online. I don't know this data, and the variables leave such a vast swathe of possibilities that any real analysis just isn't possible.

That's my complaint here, levious. I wasn't suggesting Sony was spinning unnecessarily here.

deepbrown

Opiate said:
I thought this deserved its own post for other sales age folks: if it isn't post worthy, please lock.

http://kotaku.com/5126304/ces-09-ka...as-sold-13-million-psn-accounts-at-17-million

Little Big Planet has sold 1.3 million copies, which we can all assume is shipped to retailer. Also, PSN accounts are at 17 million, but I find this information essentially meaningless because it clearly isn't accounting for multiple accounts on the same machine.
Why choose Kotaku?

Plus we don't know it's only shipped (though you'd presume that's Sony numbers) Over 200k in the UK only represents over 600k in Europe alone (sold to consumers)

yurinka

I supouse this doesn't include the bundled copies, or aren't worldwide copies. In the Gamespot feed says worldwide, but... As I remember this holydays almost every PS3 had a LBP bundled copy (at least in Europe).

And if 2.1 million PSN accounts were added last month, I can't see the numbers.

Joining the sales numbers showed in sales rankings (don't include bundled copies at least in US), it had a decent amount (I don't remember the numbers).

Are they worldwide and include bundled copies? Same happens with the number of levels created. I remember to heard bigger numbers when Media Molecule firstly talked about the level censure.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
I though Kaz said that there was 1.3 million playing LBP on PSN during the keynote. Not 1.3 million sold/shipped.

Kittonwy

Banned
Opiate said:
I thought this deserved its own post for other sales age folks: if it isn't post worthy, please lock.

http://kotaku.com/5126304/ces-09-ka...as-sold-13-million-psn-accounts-at-17-million

Little Big Planet has sold 1.3 million copies, which we can all assume is shipped to retailer. Also, PSN accounts are at 17 million, but I find this information essentially meaningless because it clearly isn't accounting for multiple accounts on the same machine.

Sweet. I hope the bundle continues for awhile because LBP deserves to be in everyone's home.
gladtomeetya.gif

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think the bundle was pretty limited..at least it seemed that way here. After launch it didn't seem like it was available widely (the official bundle, I mean..some retailers no doubt had their own offerings that included it).

andycapps

CrushDance said:
$1,000,000 in 2 weeks with barely any content.

That is the point I was trying to make.. As the community grows over the years to come, as actual decent content is added... can you imagine what the figures will be? It's no small wonder why so many publishers are jumping on board. They see dollar signs.

Top Bottom