• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Big Planet fails to ship 1.4 million, westical's acc't buried in Nevada desert

J-Rzez

Well deserved for such a great title, hopefully it continues to move, and continues to bring the butt hurt to the haters.

EDIT: Holy fuck at the title LOL.

BobsRevenge said:
I'd imagine LBP was pretty inexpensive. Small to mid-size dev team working on a game for a couple years and some decent ads and PR... I'd say it probably has a mid-range budget.

I'd say LBP is already a success, and if it isn't it will be. This game'll have legs (it has a pretty damn good community already) and it'll serve well as a bundle game at some point.

the point im trying to make is its stupid to make a comment like he did when no one knows the budget for either game. i dont doubt Too human cost more but we would just be assuming.

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
So just wondering whats the budget for both games?

Even if we don't have the exact numbers, it's not really that hard to get a general idea. The amount of Dev time alone should be a dead giveaway. Size of teams? How about dropping UE3 and getting into a law suit with Epic. Then developing an engine of their own after dropping UE3. MS marketed the game as much as LBP as well.

TJ Spyke

test_account said:
1.3 million shipped probably means that at least (or around) 1 million copies are sold to consumers. Not too bad in my opinion! :)

Maybe they mean sold to retailers, but i dont know if that changes anything though.

EDIT: I now see that thechristoph already mentioned the sold to retailers part :)

Remember that Sony used to actually count systems sitting in warehouses and still in the factories when reporting numbers.

andycapps

Zhuk said:
Weren't people saying it sold 1.6 million before?? if so where did that information come from??

Edit: Gamespot mentions 1.3 million sold, and IGN says 1.3 million play LBP online.. Carry on then.

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
the point im trying to make is its stupid to make a comment like he did when no one knows the budget for either game. i dont doubt Too human cost more but we would just be assuming.

Ok buddy ... :lol

Son of Godzilla said:
Too Human has likely hit more than 1.3 million shipped worldwide. And that, and no other reason, is why LBP has bombed.

Who made the stupid comment? At least mine was based off of an assumption that holds some water. I didn't just spout inflammatory shit our of my mouth like the person I was responding too.

daegan

Why does everyone care so much about what this specific game sells? Heads could explode pondering that very mystery.

KaosAngel

Banned
I love LBP, I played it all the time back at home in Tokyo and I forgot my copy in my PS3. Luckily there was a Hollywood Video near my parent's home so I got a month rental pass and just got LBP because I couldn't live without it.

The only thing I dislike about LBP is the bad networking. It lags like a MOFO regardless of my location and my connection in Japan is fiber-optics like the one at my parent's place.

Please MM or Sony, fix the lag issues. I don't get how Burnout Paradise has NO LAG but contains 8 players, open world, and uses P2P.

Fix Lag and I will love LBP MORE! Oh, add more level packs...I beat the MGS level pack in less than an hour...

Salmonax

KaosAngel said:
The only thing I dislike about LBP is the bad networking. It lags like a MOFO regardless of my location and my connection in Japan is fiber-optics like the one at my parent's place.
Yep - it's still bad, and the load times are ridiculous for levels that usually amount to less than five minutes of gameplay.

Zhuk said:
Weren't people saying it sold 1.6 million before?? if so where did that information come from??

Can I post some of your stuff from N4G? I like your comments here better than the ones over there.

dfyb

Banned
i don't have bad lag and levels usually load fairly quickly. bad lag is the exception, not the rule.

Does this include bundle sales?

test_account said:
I think it was Soul Calibur 4:

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=30200

I dont know about Fallout 3 though.

Regarding the LBP numbers, the numbers we know for sure is:

USA: 356k (NPD) (215k in October and 141k in November)
UK: atleast 200k (ELSPA/Chart Track (i think so at least))
Japan: 71,873 (Famitsu) (based on 3 weeks of sales)

That is a total of 627,873.

These numbers does not include any numbers from the rest of Europe, not the numbers for the December NPD for USA, not the numbers for Canada, Australia and for the rest of the world. Little Big Planet has been out for about 2 months now. LBP hasnt exactly lighted up the sales charts in these territories as far as i know, but i would think that it is a relatively safe bet to say that something around 400k has been sold in the territories that i just mentioned since LBP was launched. That would make LBP sales somewhere around 1 million copies sold to consumers :)

Pretty much. People forget that some games sell by legs while others sell on a 6 week basis. Not every game flops because it doesn't make the top 5, 10, or even 20 on the NPD. This is much like most Wii games. DDRHP, Z&W, RB, and BB didn't set the charts on fire at all during their first month of release however they eventually stayed at a consistent selling basis on the lower level of the charts to pull respectable numbers. I think people just, for some reason or another, want the game to fail because they are uncomfortable seeing the PS3 (a system defined as a software selling nightmare) pulled respectable numbers for this game. I see it similar to the same people who constantly claim that the Wii can't sell third parties and just stick their heads in the ground ignoring the contridicting events. "Let's ignore RE:UC, RB, GHIII, SatSR, RS, NMH, BB, and etc. and just jump on De Blob and Call of Duty." Same with the PS3 "Let's ignore MGS4, Uncharted, the at level selling multiplats and pick on this game instead."

I'm not saying that this game didn't perform what SONY intended. I mean it definately isn't the PS3's Wii Sports, Wii Fit, or even Wii Music. Though it has performed respectively and denying the evidence that it could have broken a million is just ludacrus.

djblackice said:
Can I post some of your stuff from N4G? I like your comments here better than the ones over there.

I actually thought his blatant trolling over at N4G was better. It was more entertaining.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Did Westical get banned just for the ET comparison?

test_account said:
I think it was Soul Calibur 4:

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=30200

I dont know about Fallout 3 though.

Regarding the LBP numbers, the numbers we know for sure is:

USA: 356k (NPD) (215k in October and 141k in November)
UK: atleast 200k (ELSPA/Chart Track (i think so at least))
Japan: 71,873 (Famitsu) (based on 3 weeks of sales)

That is a total of 627,873.

These numbers does not include any numbers from the rest of Europe, not the numbers for the December NPD for USA, not the numbers for Canada, Australia and for the rest of the world. Little Big Planet has been out for about 2 months now. LBP hasnt exactly lighted up the sales charts in these territories as far as i know, but i would think that it is a relatively safe bet to say that something around 400k has been sold in the territories that i just mentioned since LBP was launched. That would make LBP sales somewhere around 1 million copies sold to consumers :)

That's true. I forgot that it's been a good while since the game was out, so that does seem reasonable.

Fenderputty said:
I actually thought his blatant trolling over at N4G was better. It was more entertaining.

Actually, I agree with you. Overe there he has no limits to an extent, here he has to be more careful.

Doubledex

Banned
Averon said:
:lol But I thought GAF said LBP was a bomb.
You know who these guys are....
Gaborn said:
Think how many of those copies are sitting on store shelves somewhere and draw your own conclusions.
Son of Godzilla said:
Too Human has likely hit more than 1.3 million shipped worldwide. And that, and no other reason, is why LBP has bombed.

You see what I mean, Averon? ;)

Seriously, why was everyone expecting the game to hit millions so quickly? As long as it hits over 500,000 sold, that is good in my book for a niche, 2D platformer these days. Give it time and don't forget about price drops in the future. Then again, I don't know what it cost develop, but I would imagine that it didn't cost alot to make.

SaitoH

Love the thread title.

I still can't get over the hate this title garners and the myriad of ridiculous complaints.

Mindlog

SaitoH said:
Love the thread title.

I still can't get over the hate this title garners and the myriad of ridiculous complaints.

The hate and complaints are so minuscule compared to the general appreciation for the title. The amount of time spent dwelling/trolling the ridiculous minute really kills discussion. It's a problem that seems to have accelerated in the past month and bodes well for 2009 threads.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I forgot that any game that doesn't sell 4 billion copies day one is a bomb and a complete failure. LBP will never sell another copy ever again, off to the bargain bin apparently.

Kittonwy

Banned
test_account said:
Japan + US + UK is at 627,873 to be exact if i am not mistaken. I dont think we know any other numbers. The only updated numbers we have is from the UK. We are still missing the sales for December in the US, and all of Europe (except for the UK), Canada, Australia and in the rest of the world. I do agree that it might not have sold 700k in those territories by now, but around 400-500k, maybe?

But as you say, it is impossible to determaine for sure, so i am not saying that there arent many unsold LBP copies in the stores, but personally i think the sales of LBP will go at least "ok" in the near future, so i dont think that the retailers will end up with alot of unsold stocks of LBP, but time will tell :)

EDIT: Unfortunately i have no idea if retailers are running low on LBP stocks. I havnt checked too many stores myself, but i have seen LBP in stock in some store at least. That doesnt necessarily tells how it is on the bigger picture though :\

I think the important part for LBP is whether Sony is happy with the sales so far and will continue to support it in terms of bundles and additional content, and it seems things are looking pretty good for LBP, it's clear that LBP is very high quality product, and a highly acclaimed game critically with a lot of potential to grow.
Indifferent2.gif

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
John Dunbar said:
now sony fans truly know what it feels like to be a nintendo fan.

Great, can't wait for the ton of "SONY AM DOOMED!" and "EFDIS" replies Sony fans are now entitled to give whenever another one of these threads pop up.

test_account

XP-39C²
womfalcs3 said:
Well, you're also not incorporating December numbers for the US.
As Mojo already pointed out, i did mentioned the December numbers for the US as well :) I wonder how much Little Big Planet will sell in December in the US :)

TJ Spyke said:
Remember that Sony used to actually count systems sitting in warehouses and still in the factories when reporting numbers.
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) I do think that LBP can have sold something around 1 million copies to consumer by now though :) I wrote alittle more detailed why i think so in these 2 posts:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14293577&postcount=73

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14293649&postcount=81

Flying_Phoenix said:
Pretty much. People forget that some games sell by legs while others sell on a 6 week basis. Not every game flops because it doesn't make the top 5, 10, or even 20 on the NPD. This is much like most Wii games. DDRHP, Z&W, RB, and BB didn't set the charts on fire at all during their first month of release however they eventually stayed at a consistent selling basis on the lower level of the charts to pull respectable numbers. I think people just, for some reason or another, want the game to fail because they are uncomfortable seeing the PS3 (a system defined as a software selling nightmare) pulled respectable numbers for this game. I see it similar to the same people who constantly claim that the Wii can't sell third parties and just stick their heads in the ground ignoring the contridicting events. "Let's ignore RE:UC, RB, GHIII, SatSR, RS, NMH, BB, and etc. and just jump on De Blob and Call of Duty." Same with the PS3 "Let's ignore MGS4, Uncharted, the at level selling multiplats and pick on this game instead."

I'm not saying that this game didn't perform what SONY intended. I mean it definately isn't the PS3's Wii Sports, Wii Fit, or even Wii Music. Though it has performed respectively and denying the evidence that it could have broken a million is just ludacrus.
Ye, i agree :)

Oblivion said:
That's true. I forgot that it's been a good while since the game was out, so that does seem reasonable.
:) I think it should be interesting to see how Little Big Planet will contunie to sell. There were some rumors that LBP had sold 300k in the UK by now (see the latest PAL Charts thread here on NeoGaf), but we wont know if that is true or not until we get the ELSPA award numbers for January. We will probably get these numbers in about a month from now :)

Salmonax

truly101 said:
Great, can't wait for the ton of "SONY AM DOOMED!" and "EFDIS" replies Sony fans are now entitled to give whenever another one of these threads pop up.
That level of collective dementia takes a great many years to fester. Give it time.

Opiate said:
I thought this deserved its own post for other sales age folks: if it isn't post worthy, please lock.

http://kotaku.com/5126304/ces-09-ka...as-sold-13-million-psn-accounts-at-17-million

Little Big Planet has sold 1.3 million copies, which we can all assume is shipped to retailer. Also, PSN accounts are at 17 million, but I find this information essentially meaningless because it clearly isn't accounting for multiple accounts on the same machine.

I have 2 Live silver accounts that I'm sure MS use in their PR.

theBishop said:
1.3 million shipped (lol, not sold, liars) is not nearly enough when you consider how huge the team was and what they spent on marketing. Some SCE managers definitely got fired over this one.

MM are a small team. Read the interview with them at IGN.

Kittonwy

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Does this include bundle sales?

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want LBP to succeed. It's an amazing game that takes gaming in a really wonderful direction, it's great for the industry, and great for anyone who enjoys creativity.
angry.gif

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Salmonax said:
That level of collective dementia takes a great many years to fester. Give it time.

But according to the message boards, Sony's gonna sell off it gaming division in like two months, so the time for this paranoria and irritability to properly fester just isn't there. We need to accelerate it, like a virus. If I read it on a message board, it has to be true. Inside sources n stuff.

Top Bottom