• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Opinion Drama Little Known Things About AOC (I was actually surprised)

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sep 2, 2007
So she's really not just the smart bartender nobody that she pretended to be before being elected?

regawdless

Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
She's well educated in certain limited fields, yes. But she has a very low ability of understanding broader pictures and is a total narcissist.

Having not even a tiny bit of empathy for the 25 dead people, their kids, hundreds of injured, thousands of attacked and really scared people during the BLM riots. Shop owners being attacked and fearing for their lives.

But when she wasn't even in the building on Jan 06, she was only about how traumatizing that was for HER and how scary it was.

So she's either a total psycho, or very calculated and plain evil.

highrider

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
Idgaf about AOC in the big picture, she hasn’t helmed or been attached to any legislation that’s salient. She has the distinction of being attractive and articulate in a world of government pantloads, her intelligence or what she actually does aren’t even what she’s about.

She’s the progressive face, she’s attractive and not utterly incompetent or unlikable. Democrats have usually provided an attractive male for the younger demographic, not sure if that isn’t just Trevor Noah by default.

manfestival

Nov 12, 2009
I think OP has conflated the idea of being "book smart" or educated with being intelligent/smart. There were plenty of kids that had better grades than me in school that were also far dumber than me(this isn't some stealth brag, just being real).

She is plenty of things and I have had my fair share of words criticizing my friends to their faces about their unwavering support of her. I don't think she is dumb. Though I think she is manipulative and a liar. That in and of itself is very problematic. Which some people may view as evil to some degree as well. Though right now she is controlled opposition and pathetically gave into Nancy Pelosi(to get on her committee) not too long ago .

Last edited:

Umbral

May 7, 2020
Credentials are no longer indicators of intelligence.

She is not very smart. She might be just above average. Smart people can be convinced of some stupid shit. I believe it’s actually more likely they become convinced than average people.

She sounds like a fucking airhead. Arrogance and ignorance combined.

Last edited:
Reactions: regawdless

MrA

Mar 9, 2020
OH BOY CUM LAUDE, AND IN ECONOMICS THAT SHE DOESN"T UNDERSTAND AND A SOCIAL SCIENCE TOO!!! SHE GOT 3.5!
I'm glad that's presented as if it's amazing,

Reactions: desertdroog

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
You know when I was studying economics. We had a class of 50. After 4 years, that class went down to 12. Fast foward to today. You have a class of 50 and then 4 years later you have a class of 52

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
" in the least racist nation in all of history types.

In all of history? The US? You ignoring slavery, jim crow, black codes, mass massacres, public lynchings where some were basically family events, political assassinations of black leaders...

LEAST ?

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
OH BOY CUM LAUDE, AND IN ECONOMICS THAT SHE DOESN"T UNDERSTAND AND A SOCIAL SCIENCE TOO!!! SHE GOT 3.5!
I'm glad that's presented as if it's amazing,

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
In all of history? The US? You ignoring slavery, jim crow, black codes, mass massacres, public lynchings where some were basically family events, political assassinations of black leaders...

LEAST ?
slavery was abolished 89 years after america was founded

i'd say we're on top, especially after the 60s civil rights frontier

Oct 15, 2019
New York
AOC is a fine politician who will likely have a long political career. The GOP is hellbent on trying to slander her now in order to damage her future. The amount of dishonest claims about her is really sad. We know if you keep repeating it some are dumb enough to believe it. But as a minority female we have come to expect this from the right.
I'm sorry but this isn't about her race or gender. If you rise to prominence in the public eye as a cult of personality, people are going to scrutinize your words. People can be smart in one aspect, but essentially braindead in others. You can only have so many "crime in NYC is high right now because people are stealing bread to feed their families" moments before people start wondering about your aptitude for the job.

For an example of this on the right, you dont have to look any farther than Herman Cain. Dude was a brilliant neurologist, but his proposed tax plan was literally the defaults from Sim City

Edit: Meant Ben Carson, not Herman Cain. Like DeafTourette pointed out I got their names mixed up. Serious fuck up on my end considering I was just saying criticism of AOC is about more than her race.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: DeafTourette

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
I think OP has conflated the idea of being "book smart" or educated with being intelligent/smart. There were plenty of kids that had better grades than me in school that were also far dumber than me(this isn't some stealth brag, just being real).

As one of the dead white males said years ago

"Many are learned, few are smart."

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
I'm sorry but this isn't about her race or gender. If you rise to prominence in the public eye as a cult of personality, people are going to scrutinize your words. People can be smart in one aspect, but essentially braindead in others. You can only have so many "crime in NYC is high right now because people are stealing bread to feed their families" moments before people start wondering about your aptitude for the job.

For an example of this on the right, you dont have to look any farther than Herman Cain. Dude was a brilliant neurologist, but his proposed tax plan was literally the defaults from Sim City

Dude... Did you just confuse Herman Cain with Ben Carson? #AllBlackPeopleLookTheSame

J/k ... But yeah, Carson was the doctor. Cain was the CEO of Goodfellas Pizza.

Reactions: TheKillerStove
Oct 15, 2019
New York
Dude... Did you just confuse Herman Cain with Ben Carson? #AllBlackPeopleLookTheSame

J/k ... But yeah, Carson was the doctor. Cain was the CEO of Goodfellas Pizza.
Shit. You're totally right. I meant Ben Carson when writing that. I legitimately got their names switched around. Well there goes any chance the lady I responded to takes anything I said seriously.

Reactions: DeafTourette

Singular7

Jan 9, 2018

LEAST ?

Death, taxes, and what you're describing is the rule of history.

It took the intersection of Christian/European philosophical arguments about humans having intrinsic value coupled with the US Constitution [which is to say, state law and virtue working together] to finally destroy slavery on 50% of the planet.

Don't take for granted the 2000 year process that came out of Europe and Jerusalem, or you'll fall right back into it.

Racism is just seeing other class/social groups as the enemy/chattel. The RULE of history.

The rule of selfish humans.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018

She is plenty of things and I have had my fair share of words criticizing my friends to their faces about their unwavering support of her. I don't think she is dumb. Though I think she is manipulative and a liar. That in and of itself is very problematic. Which some people may view as evil to some degree as well. Though right now she is controlled opposition and pathetically gave into Nancy Pelosi(to get on her committee) not too long ago .

Same can be said about Rand Paul...

MrA

Mar 9, 2020
slavery was abolished 89 years after america was founded

i'd say we're on top, especially after the 60s civil rights frontier
you're talking to someone that lives in a fantasy world where African slave traders stopped selling slaves because the buyers were mean to them (granted African continued to sell other Africans into slavery until the 20th century) and that only Europeans bought slaves (Arabs had been enslaving Africans and buying African slaves from Africans for centuries before Europeans took part in the African slave trade and the Arabs actually sold slaves as far as China) and black slave owners in America only bought slaves to be nice to them, which is a total fantasy (they ran the same gamut as every other slave-owning group, which included American Indians and Chinese Americans, from abject cruelty to general magnanimity).

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
Death, taxes, and what you're describing is the rule of history.

It took the intersection of Christian/European philosophical arguments about humans having intrinsic value coupled with the US Constitution [which is to say, state law and virtue working together] to finally destroy slavery on 50% of the planet.

Don't take for granted the 2000 year process that came out of Europe and Jerusalem, or you'll fall right back into it.

Racism is just seeing other class/social groups as the enemy/chattel. The RULE of history.

The rule of selfish humans.

History isn't over... The country has made great strides.

But why is it when talking about SPECIFICALLY american history, some go out of their way to bring up other countries?

"America needs to redo the tax code"

"But these other countries have FAR WORSE tax codes so we're doing great, ACTUALLY!"

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
you're talking to someone that lives in a fantasy world where African slave traders stopped selling slaves because the buyers were mean to them (granted African continued to sell other Africans into slavery until the 20th century) and that only Europeans bought slaves (Arabs had been enslaving Africans and buying African slaves from Africans for centuries before Europeans took part in the African slave trade and the Arabs actually sold slaves as far as China) and black slave owners in America only bought slaves to be nice to them, which is a total fantasy (they ran the same gamut as every other slave-owning group, which included American Indians and Chinese Americans, from abject cruelty to general magnanimity).

So you know me? You know everything about me? Please...

Anyway... I know slavery exists elsewhere in the world... I was AND AM speaking STRICTLY about american history.

You're doing exactly Like my post above... Why do you bring other countries up to make America look better? American history can't stand on its own? I'm an American and I concern myself with what my country goes through. I'm not railing against the injustices of other countries just to ignore what's going on in my backyard.

That's like a husband saying that his neighbor Dan beats his wife while he's actively cheating on his. "Honey, I'm sorry about Stacey but Dan put his wife in a coma!"

• Triggered
Reactions: Teletraan1

Singular7

Jan 9, 2018
History isn't over... The country has made great strides.

There is no country in these regards.

Slavery / racism ends when mankind adopts the idea that we need to "love our neighbor" and "love our enemy"

Otherwise we're just animals, and use the rules of the animal kingdom.

Europe ended slavery (culminating in the US) because of philosophy and predicate arguments about mankind.

Remove those predicates? Welcome back to slavery and racism! It's the default position.

We can't virtue signal (brag about how good we are) our way to "ending racism".

Last edited:

daemissary

Nov 19, 2011
She’ll correctly stand up to the establishment every once in awhile but she usually ends up getting steamrolled anyway...that’s about all she deserves credit for.

I’m not sure how anyone gives any credence to her Econ degree after she didn’t know the difference between Friedman and Keynes last year.

• Empathy
Reactions: Gp1 and Tesseract

HarryKS

Jan 24, 2010
If she was competent I’d agree, but she’s highly incompetent as a professional. Obviously she wasn’t able to parlay her degree in to a decent job before she found benefactors.
There's been lots of malicious incompetents than her in better positions before.

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
Imagine thinking credentials in non-mathematical economics and foreign relations are worth more than toilet paper.

There is a reason her employment was bartender.

Last edited:

Aug 7, 2019
Imagine thinking credentials in non-mathematical economics and foreign relations are worth more than toilet paper.

There is a reason her employment was bartender.

this is what I don’t get. What’s wrong being a bartender? You’re literally putting down all the people who work it. They make good money, but for whatever reason it’s not good enough for some people. So...she goes out and runs for Congress. And gasp...gets elected.

why are some people held to higher standards when we just had a President who bullshits and lies for 4+ years.

AOC, whether you like her or not, is the American dream. Someone like Trump who was born with a golden spoon is not.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
this is what I don’t get. What’s wrong being a bartender? You’re literally putting down all the people who work it. They make good money, but for whatever reason it’s not good enough for some people. So...she goes out and runs for Congress. And gasp...gets elected.

why are some people held to higher standards when we just had a President who bullshits and lies for 4+ years.

AOC, whether you like her or not, is the American dream. Someone like Trump who was born with a golden spoon is not.
Nothing wrong with labor jobs. The criticism is against the thrust of this topic that is pushing AOC's resume to heights that make her come off as something she is not. Being a bartender proves that she was incapable of making her storied CV and experiences into anything more than tending a bar.

It isn't a dig at bartenders, it is a knockdown of AOC being some illuminary and beyond reproach when being criticized for her moronic statements and beliefs.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada

When you have people talking her up with her school accomplishments like the easily impressed simp OP then yes a Bartender is a bit of a low career goal. Nothing against Bartenders but you don't need to go to University to become one. She gets shit on because despite her education the air she puts out is one of pure retardation. You seem to be applying a double standard where you don't want to hold her accountable for her bullshit and lies as well as her incitement for violence during the summer.

Is there still a moratorium on evictions because Trump is still living rent free in your head.

Aug 7, 2019
Nothing wrong with labor jobs. The criticism is against the thrust of this topic that is pushing AOC's resume to heights that make her come off as something she is not. Being a bartender proves that she was incapable of making her storied CV and experiences into anything more than tending a bar.

It isn't a dig at bartenders, it is a knockdown of AOC being some illuminary and beyond reproach when being criticized for her moronic statements and beliefs.

who’s pushing her though? Why does she get all this attention? She’s just a random rep from the city.

dave_d

Jan 31, 2005
"A glass of water with a d in front of it could have won her seat" Pelosi about aoc. Shes nothing special. Shes great at playing left wing simps and lying. Credit where it's due.
She did beat Joe Crowley in the primary who was apparently the 4th ranking democrat member of the house at the time. Admittedly to me that's a self own by the people of her district because why the hell would you want to get rid of a guy that high ranking? (The concerns of your district are more likely to get listened to seriously when a guy like that is on your side that with a new comer.)

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
who’s pushing her though? Why does she get all this attention? She’s just a random rep from the city.
You do realize what this thread is about. It is a thread you are posting in.

Iron out the Irony in your statement.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: OmegaSupreme

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
She did beat Joe Crowley in the primary who was apparently the 4th ranking democrat member of the house at the time. Admittedly to me that's a self own by the people of her district because why the hell would you want to get rid of a guy that high ranking? (The concerns of your district are more likely to get listened to seriously when a guy like that is on your side that with a new comer.)
And Biden & Kamala beat everyone in theirs ;)

dave_d

Jan 31, 2005
And Biden & Kamala beat everyone in theirs ;)
I mean the incumbent she upset in the primary was Joe Crowley who was quite a high ranking member of Congress at the time. It'd be like in the 2022 primary if San Fran Nan lost to some new face. (It would be utterly stupid for the public of SF to do that which would be a similar thing to voting for AOC.)

OmegaSupreme

basic bitch
Apr 17, 2019
AOC is a fine politician who will likely have a long political career. The GOP is hellbent on trying to slander her now in order to damage her future. The amount of dishonest claims about her is really sad. We know if you keep repeating it some are dumb enough to believe it. But as a minority female we have come to expect this from the right.
j jonah jameson laughing GIF

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
When you have people talking her up with her school accomplishments like the easily impressed simp OP then yes a Bartender is a bit of a low career goal. Nothing against Bartenders but you don't need to go to University to become one. She gets shit on because despite her education the air she puts out is one of pure retardation. You seem to be applying a double standard where you don't want to hold her accountable for her bullshit and lies as well as her incitement for violence during the summer.

Is there still a moratorium on evictions because Trump is still living rent free in your head.

I like how you insult me without tagging me ... Cool beans, Teletraan-1