• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LITTLE NIGHTMARES coming out on April 28th on PS4/XB1/PC; Will get a retail release

FelipeMGM

EDIT:
Available to preorder on Steam and GOG now

New trailer

I know a bunch of gaffers are also excited about Little Nightmares (a game that used to be called Hunger). Its coming out April 28th. Here is the PR

RICHMOND, UK – January 17th 2017 – BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment UK and Tarsier Studios are pleased to announce today that LITTLE NIGHTMARES will release on April, 28th in digital and physical format on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

LITTLE NIGHTMARES can now be pre-purchased digitally on PlayStation 4, Xbox One as well as GOG.com and STEAM for PC. By pre-ordering digitally, all players will receive The Scarecrow Sack and the Upside-down Teapot Masks to help Six blend in with the other inhabitants of The Maw. PS4™ and PC users will also receive the original soundtrack in digital format, an exclusive PS4™ theme or a PC wallpaper featuring The Janitor.

A standard boxed version, including the Original Soundtrack, is available at all good video game retailers. The Six Edition is also available for pre-orders as a collector’s edition exclusively at GAME retail, while supplies last. The Six Edition includes a 10 cm high figurine trapped in a themed cage box as well as the original soundtrack composed by Tobias Lilja from Tarsier Studios, an exclusive A3 poster and a sticker board.

Trapped in The Maw with nothing but her wits and a lighter, Six must find light in the darkness and strength in her weakness to survive the attentions of its monstrous residents and escape to the world outside. Be careful as each room is a cell, each resident a threat, and both puzzles to untangle. Hide and sneak from danger, climb your way out and escape the chasing monsters as The Janitor, the new character revealed in The Nine Deaths of Six trailer.

LITTLE NIGHTMARES, will release on April, 28th in digital and physical format on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

C2Y1xVYXgAEtaEu.jpg

I literally just made a post in another thread about this, I pre-ordered it in a heartbeat. GOG version for me, really looking forward to this game. Gives me lots of Haunting Ground vibes!

Is this a puzzle/platformer? I'm getting a Limbo/Inside vibe from that trailer.

Also this really sucks "By pre-ordering digitally, all players will receive The Scarecrow Sack and the Upside-down Teapot Masks to help Six blend in with the other inhabitants of The Maw."

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Interestingly this game is actually a spiritual successor to a cancelled project the team was working on for PS3/360 called The City of Metronome.

From Unseen64:

Is it wrong to say I'm not sad that this got cancelled providing that this game is as good as it looks? I mean, the art style, sound design, the look of the main character looks alot better than in those screenshots...

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

The masks sound like they arent merely cosmetics, which is interesting. And also hints at there being deeper steath mechanics where you need to disguise yourself and blend in. Unless I'm reading that wrong

Also maybe I'm missed some info, but I find kind of unsettling that I'm unsure if Six is really small or if she is normal sized and this world is some grotesque abattoir for giants

Yes, it was them finally putting City of Metronome to the test. This game was also known as Hunger for a long while, then went silent for a year, then resurfaced as Little Nightmares and being published by Namco.

I'll be curious to see a development history with this game one day, it's probably had an absolutely fascinating development tale. I know a developer touched some on it in a piece a few months ago, but I think it's shaped up nicely. Been following it since it was announced as Hunger.
Yeah, this has been one of my most anticipated games since it was first revealed as Hunger

I actually prefer that name. Partially because it fits the minimalist naming scheme of games like Inside and Limbo, but mainly because it implies some creepy disturbing stuff

Interestingly this game is actually a spiritual successor to a cancelled project the team was working on for PS3/360 called The City of Metronome.

From Unseen64:

!!! That's great to know, i was really looking forward to this game many moons ago. Nice to see the team is still around after all this time and has made something new.

Man, I am slamming that F5 key so much: I'm also gonna pre-order the Sixth Edition for that figurine and collector's box. It's going to look good on my shelf... yum.

So is this a horrro game or does it just have a creepy design?

Creepy, atmospheric, puzzle-solving adventure game with horror elements including a main stalker, and stellar sound design and OST.

Actually come to think of it, it also reminds me of the American McGee's Alice games.

Dusk Golem

The masks sound like they arent merely cosmetics, which is interesting. And also hints at there being deeper steath mechanics where you need to disguise yourself and blend in. Unless I'm reading that wrong

Also maybe I'm missed some info, but I find kind of unsettling that I'm unsure if Six is really small or if she is normal sized and this world is some grotesque abattoir for giants

Yeah, I'm curious about both of these things.

woodland

From Unseen64:

Not too surprising, gives off the same kind of vibe, minus the weird music from the Metronome trailer. Metronome was one of the big threads when I first joined a few years back, surprised to see Little Nightmares not draw more based off its aesthetic and the reception to Inside alone.

MADGAME

First time I'm learning of the game but now it's on my radar in a big way. Looks like a fantastic mood/setting game with a unique art style.

Is there an estimated length to complete? I ask because I get disappointed with very short experiences with games I enjoy, such as Abzu.

Yeah, I'm curious about both of these things.
Well some previews mentioned how the stealth isn't scripted, that if you knock things down accidentally, enemies will go investigate

First time I'm learning of the game but now it's on my radar in a big way. Looks like a fantastic mood/setting game with a unique art style.

Is there an estimated length to complete? I ask because I get disappointed with very short experiences with games I enjoy, such as Abzu.
Six to eight hours according to an interview last year

Dusk Golem

City of Metronome looked so neat too.

Well some previews mentioned how the stealth isn't scripted, that if you knock things down accidentally, enemies will go investigate

Nice. Yeah, I just finished reading the interview.

I think they're purposely being secretive of the possibility that either Six is seeing the world as big or if it's actually huge. But I do know at the very least the game was inspired by the things that seem so big and scary as a child, and part of that is how big the world looks (even if obviously exaggerated here). I have a weird theory about this game, if curious just ask me. I'm not sure how right or wrong it is though.

Yeah, that's true. It's cool.

What's your theory? Though I don't know if I should read until after playing! :)

Shin-Ra

Shamed to admit I forgot about this when considering my most anticipated 2016 list.

I didn't know Namco Bandai Ent. UK were based in Richmond, either.

MADGAME

Six to eight hours according to an interview last year
Thanks, missed your previous post stating this.

Now I wait for PS4 preorder availability.

I couldn't get the link to work for some reason, so here's a transcript:

Mervik: The core of the game is the same as it was back then. It’s a balanced mix of platforming, hide & sneak, playfulness, and exploration – all drenched in a rather unnerving atmosphere! The only noticeable change since we spoke back then is that the game is farther along now, which means you start to see the finer details that really bring The Maw to life.
Sounds good, the way it looks is the way it plays. Seeing those long, twisted hands come out the doorway and those big butcher enemies whilst you're this tiny dweeb is gonna be so fun to escape from.

ONLYSP: The monster shown off in the gameplay video acts pretty similar to the AI found in Alien: Isolation, in that it doesn’t seem to be following any predefined paths and reacts to what the player does. Can you go into some more detail on that process?

Mervik: While we’ve kept the antagonist AI relatively simple compared to that of Alien: Isolation, we have made a number of choices that make them feel similarly alive and unpredictable. For example, instead of detection radius, we use a more realistic detection of the player, where we employ a peripheral vision angle calculation to determine whether the player can be seen from the eyes of the AI. They will also react to player sounds by calculating the physical distance to the sound and if they ‘hear’ it, they will react accordingly. Having ‘seen’ or ‘heard’ the player, the AI will use things like ‘last known position’, ‘last heard sounds’ and ‘predicted sound location’ to search for the player. It’s all so much cleverer than I am, but the effect of it can be felt by everyone!

This kind of sounds like how Metal Gear Solid handles stealth, at least the more modern games, where enemies don't detect you as a straight linetrace but more akin to to each guard having their own peripheral that expands the closer you get and less angled you approach. The same with how they search the last spot they heard you at, Assassin's Creed pulls this off too, so I'm looking forward to this AI.

ONLYSP: Will the narrative play a big part in Little Nightmares, or is it a story that’s more up to player interpretation?

Mervik: I’d say that it’s both. The story of the place is very important, but player interpretations of what that story is may differ from person to person. I mean, we’re not just leaving it totally open; there is a definite narrative drive throughout the game. We just think that it’s way more rewarding when you feel like you’re engaging your brain, rather than sitting there as a passive spectator being told exactly how things are.
Yes, YES, YES!! I love this kind of storytelling, especially in horror and RPG games, where you're given story and titbits of lore through the environment, gameplay and how well you're willing to use some thinking to piece things together. Damn, this is gonna be a great game...

ONLYSP: I didn’t notice any dialogue in the gameplay video, is that true throughout the entirety of the game, or will there be any sort of narration?

Mervik: Yeah, there’s no dialogue in the game. That’s also part of this interpretive approach to the storytelling. Dialogue can hide a multitude of sins, and we want to ensure that the story of Little Nightmares exists in the world, not just a few expository cutscenes.

I'm... not entirely sure how I feel about absolutely no dialogue. Even the most minimalist games tend to feature at least a narration whether that be voiced or text. I think it'd be pretty cool if you ran into another survivor and you had an exchange.

Hustler

Why have I never heard of this game? Looks amazing, I'll have to be on the lookout for when it's released.

Top Bottom