• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LITTLE NIGHTMARES coming out on April 28th on PS4/XB1/PC; Will get a retail release

Cool detail to remember: this isn't a sidescroller. There's also a Z-axis, you can move around areas as well. A little thing, but that should allow for greater scenario variety than usual for the genre.

Make sense since Tarsier worked on LittleBigPlanet

I'm... not entirely sure how I feel about absolutely no dialogue. Even the most minimalist games tend to feature at least a narration whether that be voiced or text. I think it'd be pretty cool if you ran into another survivor and you had an exchange.
Animations can say just as much though. Like how Inside conveyed nervousness and fear through breathing, clenched hands, hunched posture, and tense glances

Yeah, seems like masks are a thing

The Tengu mask
fc2e484dec04545a81a7fcae02b1de2becf3ef6b.jpg

You can unlock it in-game by playing this browser adventure game
http://escapekitchen.little-nightmares.com/

Cool detail to remember: this isn't a sidescroller. There's also a Z-axis, you can move around areas as well. A little thing, but that should allow for greater scenario variety than usual for the genre.

Make sense since Tarsier worked on LittleBigPlanet

Yup, this is good. :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

I played the short demo they had a London MCM last year, besides the stall guy telling me I was playing it wrong, I was seeing what would happen if I didn't do the linear. I thought it was pretty decent, will defiantly consider it once I have some spare money to throw at games. The art style did give a very creepy effect and the things that would run from shadows.

Do you mean you can only unlock this in-game by playing this browser game, or that you can unlock it in-game or by playing this?
Sorry read it wrong. DLC reward was listed on the same page. You need to register to get it at launch:
Register to redeem the Tengu Mask at game launch.
Not sure if that means you can only get it through there or if it just unlocks the mask early in-game

About the child's perspective thing being the focus, 100% true, developers talked about it a while ago I definitely recall. Not to say this whole game is in the child's head (that's up in the air), but a big inspiration was children's fears and how certain things in the world can seem scarier to a child.

Now okay, so my theory will sound weird at first. And it could be completely off. But here's where I sit on it right now....
Okay, yeah, this would be amazing, and, if done well, would make this an incredible piece of art.

Of course, this is just my current theory of sorts. I could be very off.

At first I thought this game is a glorified Red Riding Hood tale, or a twisted version of a journey through the woods so to speak. Kind of like how American McGee made Alice, he took a fairytale and made it darker by putting in twisted elements and some more violence. I thought the developers are doing the same for this game too but reading about your
WW2 Nazi Concentration Camp
theory, it does have alot of sense to it, if sense can be applied to this game's world. I think it goes beyond coincidence with the whole
shoes thing
because the main character is barefoot, and seeing those joined-together but awesome looking butcher enemies can be a sign of the
human experiments
, just exaggerated some.

Also, at this part near the end of the video, we see the PC
crawl into a ventilation system after running through a room with the butcher, a furnace, and bodies of meat hanging from the ceiling. When she crawls inside the vent you can see more meat dropping down, in which you use your lighter to see them, shortly before dropping into a room full of what looks like hundreds of corpses with even more meat being dropped.

Though having said this I'm not sure if it takes place actually
inside a Nazi Concentration Camp
as you said, but probably the developer's own version of it or something.

Ah, I'm honestly surprised it's receiving a physical version after the initial press release from the re-reveal stated otherwise. I'll be down for a copy of it in the States and a little over three months away no less!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
At first I thought this game is a glorified Red Riding Hood tale, or a twisted version of a journey through the woods so to speak. Kind of like how American McGee made Alice, he took a fairytale and made it darker by putting in twisted elements and some more violence. I thought the developers are doing the same for this game too but reading about your
WW2 Nazi Concentration Camp
theory, it does have alot of sense to it, if sense can be applied to this game's world. I think it goes beyond coincidence with the whole
shoes thing
because the main character is barefoot, and seeing those joined-together but awesome looking butcher enemies can be a sign of the
human experiments
, just exaggerated some.

Also, at this part near the end of the video, we see the PC
crawl into a ventilation system after running through a room with the butcher, a furnace, and bodies of meat hanging from the ceiling. When she crawls inside the vent you can see more meat dropping down, in which you use your lighter to see them, shortly before dropping into a room full of what looks like hundreds of corpses with even more meat being dropped.

Though having said this I'm not sure if it takes place actually
inside a Nazi Concentration Camp
as you said, but probably the developer's own version of it or something.

Also, I forgot to mention one of the most obvious hints for my theory. The character, as we know her, is named Six.
The Nazis numbered all their prisoners and refused to let them use their own names as an identifying system and tattooed it on each person.

The lore on the site is great stuff. I wasn't expecting there to be so much narrative here

It's a fascinating read, I agree. Excited for when it all unlocks.

Also, I forgot to mention one of the most obvious hints for my theory. The character, as we know her, is named Six.
The Nazis numbered all their prisoners and refused to let them use their own names as an identifying system and tattooed it on each person.

To add to that, I personally don't think that
Six means the number she has been given, but moreso Six = SIX, as in an acronym to have it stand for a bigger meaning. Maybe S, and then IX to mean the number 9? I say this because I believe the prisoners had actual numbers tattoo'd on them as opposed to having it written as letters.

I think they're purposely being secretive of the possibility that either Six is seeing the world as big or if it's actually huge. But I do know at the very least the game was inspired by the things that seem so big and scary as a child, and part of that is how big the world looks (even if obviously exaggerated here). I have a weird theory about this game, if curious just ask me. I'm not sure how right or wrong it is though.
Just saw Tarsier actually answered this in the Steam forums

Wozman23

Hyped! I loved the initial Hunger trailer and the interactive experience!

I'll probably settle for the standard physical release if it's available in the US. Curse my ancestors for leaving Europe!

I'm still not sure if the masks are function or form either. Regardless, they look cool. I'd love for them to serve some gameplay purpose similar to Puppeteer.

A passion project many years in the making
"We've been working on this game for a couple of years now, and finally be able to show that is amazing," says Tarsier co-founder Andreas Johnsson. "But for some of us that have been working for more than 10 years at Tarsier it's bigger than that. This is the reason why we founded the company."

A decade of experience
Back in the day, when Metronome was a concept, we didn't have all that much experience as gamemakers. We spent about ten years making games, a lot of them physics-based games, and there's no coincidence in that. But hopefully we paid our dues now, and we have been able to express this in a way we can achieve, in that game that really clicks...

How the game came to be. Interesting that the visuals and atmosphere came first
"When we started thinking about this game, it was more of a visual jam session with our art director and one of our concept artists,” CEO Ola Holmdahl says.

“The art director came up with the idea of a little girl in a bright yellow outfit, and our concept artist came up with loads of creepy characters and monsters. The tension between these two sides was very titillating. We started thinking about what kind of game this would be. We pushed it to publishers as a paper pitch, which failed as there was nothing playable. It wasn’t a game, it was an idea. We knew there was something there so we started building gameplay to see what that would be like. That’s how the ball got rolling.”

A unique identity
"We all have very different sources of inspiration. What I like about this game is that you have people saying it’s similar to Limbo, a Tim Burton film, LittleBigPlanet, a Studio Ghibli movie or a Roald Dahl book.
“To me, that means it moves a lot of people. But so many people are convinced it comes from a certain direction, and they’re all different. It speaks to its uniqueness.”

The Metronome connection
We have a "world of Metronome" thought going on. We imagine that this could happen in the same world. A different place, a different scenario, different characters involved, but it could happen in the same place, same environment, same world

"Hide and seek", not stealth
We’ve heard people say “stealth” and that’s also something that we want to stay away from, because that feels like you’re empowered. Hide and sneak is [more of what we had in mind]. It’s what we used to do as kids. Hiding, sneaking, exploring. That’s part of the game because she’s being a kid. It just fits so well.

I'm... not entirely sure how I feel about absolutely no dialogue. Even the most minimalist games tend to feature at least a narration whether that be voiced or text. I think it'd be pretty cool if you ran into another survivor and you had an exchange.
Have you played Inside, Virginia, Brothers, Journey, Abzu, Don't Look Back, But That Was Yesterday, Machinarium, Botanicula, and dozens of other no-dialogue games?

This won't be any different in its minimalist and environmental take on storytelling.

Some more interview info

On genre
There will be aspects of platforming, but this is not a “platformer”, nor is it a “horror”, it's very much a fusion of styles. To be effective as a suspense-adventure game, Hunger is borrowing elements from a number of different genres - the tense, unnerving atmosphere of survival horror; the excitement and exploration of dventure games; and the playful use of the environment that you find in platformers. For Hunger to do what it's set out to do, it can't stick to one genre, needs to strike a balance between several.

On comparisons to Limbo
It's actually been interesting that the majority of people who have watched the teaser, talk about it as a side-scroller or a 2D platformer like LIMBO. Only a handful have realised that this is a game with full 3D movement. They're getting a whole extra dimension for free! The LIMBO comparisons are extremely flattering, and I guess there are similarities to be drawn, but they are also two very different beasts. The biggest inspiration for us, though, is that it proved that games can be both individual and still hugely successful.

Kyonashi

Yeah, this has been one of my most anticipated games since it was first revealed as Hunger

I actually prefer that name. Partially because it fits the minimalist naming scheme of games like Inside and Limbo, but mainly because it implies some creepy disturbing stuff

"hunger game" would be a nightmare for SEO though, lmao

Can't believe I missed this, completely stumbled across it by accident. Looks amazing, and from the team that made arguably the best LBP game!

Some interesting details from the latest Edge magazine

- Inspired in part by games like Clocktower and Heart of Darkness
- Tactile controls/grab mechanics are influenced by LittleBigPlanet, Shadow of the Colossus, and Ico
- Certain sections will see Six suffer from hunger, causing a weakened state that affects your ability to climb and run
- "Sneaking past considerably more powerful threats is a big part of Little Nightmares, and each has its own traits.
The frankly horrendous Janitor is blind but will give chase if it hears you. Standing still as the creature sniffs around you is stressful and terrifying.
"

Some of the new concept art/images of certain areas and enemy designs are quite unsettling. The atmosphere here is going to be something else

Oh for fuck's sake.

I'm literally gonna be broke by June at this rate.

I'm actually getting close to being broke had all the games I've (pre) ordered come out at once, this year is going to be mad, so I need to be more picky. I've already had to give up Atelier Sophie + Nights of Azure on PC to not get myself in debt this month/next month lmao

SentryDown

This thread finally made me realize why I had the feeling I already played a game with this kind of mood/environment/art direction : Tarsier Studios made LBP Vita which features a full world (Spooky Mansion) that looks like this game a lot (at least to me). Will definitely keep an eye on this.

Top Bottom