• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little People Urge FCC to Ban 'Midget'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/nyc/090705_Little_People_Urge_FCC_to_Ban_Midget

NEW YORK (AP) - The group Little People of America called Sunday for the Federal Communications Commission to ban the use of the word "midget" on broadcast TV.

Leaders of the group said the word, which was prominently featured in an episode of NBC's "Celebrity Apprentice," is as offensive as racial slurs.

"Historically, the word 'midget' has been used to objectify people, like in the circus," said Clinton Brown III co-chairman of the 52nd Annual National Conference of Little People of America, which is taking place in New York this week. "We're in the 21st century. We're beyond that."

In the April 5 "Celebrity Apprentice" episode, contestants including Joan Rivers created a detergent ad called "Jesse James and the Midgets." The contestants suggested bathing little people in the detergent and hanging them to dry.

Members of Little People of America responded by filing a complaint with the FCC.

"This is not just a complaint but a kickoff to educate Americans unaware that the 'M-word' is offensive to little people," said Michael Petruzzelli, whose 6-year-old son is a little person.

Calls to the FCC and "Celebrity Apprentice" host Donald Trump were not returned Sunday. NBC Universal representatives didn't immediately respond to e-mail messages, and the telephone rang unanswered at their Los Angeles office.

Hootie

egz3hg.gif

bjork

Did you guys see the episode of Little People Big World where they go to the little person convention? There was this one that the dad was trying to set his son up with, and she was damned hot.

yuna55

I like to ask them if they represent the lollipop guild. Makes them feel good, like they're really a part of something.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
bjork said:
Did you guys see the episode of Little People Big World where they go to the little person convention? There was this one that the dad was trying to set his son up with, and she was damned hot.
Pics?

Man I bet banging a midget must be awesome. Makes your cock look that much bigger.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Phobophile said:
Pics?

Man I bet banging a midget must be awesome. Makes your cock look that much bigger.

I found a rip of some video I must have downloaded where Bridget and some other midget are being banged by a hung black man. I should probably delete it at some point. Midgets aren't that flexible so it looks as though your fucking a small pig.

yuna55

BlueTsunami said:
I found a rip of some video I must have downloaded where Bridget and some other midget are being banged by a hung black man. I should probably delete it at some point. Midgets aren't that flexible so it looks as though your fucking a small pig.

:lol Fuck...

etiolate

Banned
BlueTsunami said:

"That'll do pig"

CoolTrick

Banned
Commence same people who accuse gays of "not being patient enough" for their equal rights to determine that a term that doesn't even apply to them isn't offensive.

Only on NeoGAF.

Gigglepoo

Why is midget considered offensive anyway? Could any group just decide that the popular name labeling them is now offensive?

bjork

BlueTsunami said:

Doesn't it depend on their condition? I saw one of some gal called Tasia that looked pretty flexible.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
bjork said:
Doesn't it depend on their condition? I saw one of some gal called Tasia that looked pretty flexible.

I just looked her up, yeah, I guess it would depend on what's midgetized. Tasia has this slender midget look where Bridget is all short and stout and when you try to go missionary you have to push the knees back but they can only go far and now your fucking a small ball of flesh.

bjork

BlueTsunami said:
I just looked her up, yeah, I guess it would depend on what's midgetized. Tasia has this slender midget look where Bridget is all short and stout and when you try to go missionary you have to push the knees back but they can only go far and now your fucking a small ball of flesh.

I am familiar with Bridget, yes. Doesn't seem like it would be much fun. :p

Game-Biz

05155527_.jpg

A lot of midgets tend to kill themselves. A disproportionate amount, actually. Hervé Villechaize off of Fantasy Island. I think somebody from the Time Bandits did. I suppose they must get really sad about like... being really little and that... people looking at them, laughing at them, calling them names. You know, "short arse". There's another famous midget. I miss him but I can't remember. It's not the R2D2 man; no, he's still going.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Game-Biz said:
A lot of midgets tend to kill themselves. A disproportionate amount, actually. Hervé Villechaize off of Fantasy Island. I think somebody from the Time Bandits did. I suppose they must get really sad about like... being really little and that... people looking at them, laughing at them, calling them names. You know, "short arse". There's another famous midget. I miss him but I can't remember. It's not the R2D2 man; no, he's still going.

Jesus X, it's Carl Pilkington's account.

Rorschach

I always found the term "little person/people" kinda demeaning/condescending. They should have chosen something better. Is dwarf not a medical term?

I read this as Little people urge UFC to Ban Midget.

And I was like, WTF! I had no idea there were midget fights! where have I been?! I was so pumped to see some hardcore midget fights and now must settle for this crap!

bjork

Rorschach said:
I always found the term "little person/people" kinda demeaning/condescending. They should have chosen something better. Is dwarf not a medical term?

Yes, but not all little people have dwarfism, afaik. I think that's where the hangup is.

AkuMifune

Banned
As a "marijuana challenged" person I despise the term "stoner". I find it degrading and in no way indicative of the actual experience. I'm starting a petition to ban this term as well.

:D

usea

Although I am sympathetic toward the offense at the WAY the word was used, banning the word itself is not a solution. Words should not be banned. Words cannot be offensive, only the intent behind them. If person is offended by ANY use of a word such as midget or nigger, regardless of the way it was used, the problem lies with that person.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
usea said:
Although I am sympathetic toward the offense at the WAY the word was used, banning the word itself is not a solution. Words should not be banned. Words cannot be offensive, only the intent behind them. If person is offended by ANY use of a word such as midget or nigger, regardless of the way it was used, the problem lies with that person.
oh yeah

GDGF

Soothsayer
Little people sounds fucking retarded, though, and i'm not calling anything a Dwarf that doesn't have a foot long beard and carry an axe. This only leaves midget.

Raistlin

usea said:

The problem is enforcement. How do you determine intent? Certainly some cases are quite obvious, but far too many are gray.

Believe me, I'm against banning any words ... but I understand why they go that route versus what you suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom