• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Witch Academia TV |OT| Season 2 up on Netflix Aug 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
ugh what is netflix doing? Really wanted to watch this :( Why release it in two parts?
To play devil's advocate, it's probably to finish dubbing.

Although REALLY, it's just further stoking the inadvertent incentive for people to pirate it after they finish the first half.

JoeFu

Banned
To play devil's advocate, it's probably to finish dubbing.

Although REALLY, it's just further stoking the inadvertent incentive for people to pirate it after they finish the first half.

That's what I was thinking, but still. can't they just update with dubs later?

Maybe Netflix demographics are different and only watch dubbed, but whatever.

I'll just wait until the second half comes out to watch it.

Man, I subbed to this thread before the show even started and I patiently waited for Netflix to release the series before I actually began watching.

Now you're telling me they were lazy with the subbing? Come on now. What sucks is that TRIGGER is arguably one of the few anime studios I've seen who generally try to make sure English is used correctly in their shows. Maybe it comes from their love/appreciation of Western animation. That example of "A believing heart is your magic" appearing as text within the show itself is proof of that.

I guess I'll wait for the dub? I'm pretty tolerant of dubs even if they are just OK and LWA feels like the kind of show that would feel better to watch in English due to all of its Western influences.

Meffer

Man, I subbed to this thread before the show even started and I patiently waited for Netflix to release the series before I actually began watching.

Now you're telling me they were lazy with the subbing? Come on now. What sucks is that TRIGGER is arguably one of the few anime studios I've seen who generally try to make sure English is used correctly in their shows. Maybe it comes from their love/appreciation of Western animation. That example of "A believing heart is your magic" appearing as text within the show itself is proof of that.

I guess I'll wait for the dub? I'm pretty tolerant of dubs even if they are just OK and LWA feels like the kind of show that would feel better to watch in English due to all of its Western influences.
You can always check out the fansubs. They have a better translation and Trigger knows that's how most people watched it.

xequalsy

I've started watching the dub, what there is of it on Netflix for now. Might seek out fansubs or something, but I think I can wait since I've already waited so long for this to come out anyway.

The new idea of releasing half a season or what feels like half a season and waiting is pissing me off.

First Voltron now this. I get to episode 13 finish it and bam season over.

I saw an interview citing it as such. Not that I realised when I was watching! Can definitely see the parallels though with being obsessed with your idols.

I think it was when the show started hammering the fact that magic was getting increasingly outmoded that the parallels really struck me.

Also, the criticism of Shiny Chariot being all flash and no substance is the same criticism often levelled at Trigger themselves.

Astral

So I was under the impression that the series would continue after the movies. I'm kinda disappointed.

EDIT: Ok it's completely different so far. I thought it would just be a recap of the first movie.

I just started watching - first the 2013 and 2015 short films, and now the series, and it's very enchanting. It really finds it's voice and footing in Night Fall (4) but escalates to wonderful in Akko's Adventures in Sucy (8) and Undead Travelogue (9). Waiting for the second half stinks, though.

Aki-at

just realised there was two short before the serie! I'm currently at episode 8, should i still watch both of them before continuing?

The OVAs and series are completely independent from each other. Certain characters like Diana are completely different in them too so you won't spoil yourself from watching them. It's upto you if you want watch it whenever since it's pretty much just the prototype LWA.

The OVAs and series are completely independent from each other. Certain characters like Diana are completely different in them too so you won't spoil yourself from watching them. It's upto you if you want watch it whenever since it's pretty much just the prototype LWA.

thanks, will watch the OVA first then!

Lusankya

Got up to the weird-ass Susi dreamworld episode.

This show is great...

Yeah, definitely my favorite episode so far.

Btw. I just realized that the anime is even available with a German dub. They usually suck when it comes to comedy in an anime series but this one is actually quite good.

Akko's German VA is really fitting and catches her spirit in a nice way and Sucys's actress totally kills it (even though she sounds totaly different than her Japanese voice).
Anyone else watching it in German?

I just watched the first episode. I like this. I didn't even realize this had dubs until just starting episode 2, but I'm not sure what I should watch. English? Japanese, or Spanish?

CONCH0BAR

I just watched the first episode. I like this. I didn't even realize this had dubs until just starting episode 2, but I'm not sure what I should watch. English? Japanese, or Spanish?

Japanese. I like to believe in English dubs (My Hero Academia is fantastic), but Little Witch is pretty poor IMO. No idea about the Spanish dub.

I went with Spanish since I need to finish learning it. Just finished episode 4. Lotte is one of those people that's afraid of success. You think I'd turn that shit down? That author probably makes a ton of money.

Yo, when that girl pulled out that glock i was rollin! She better be a playable character in the game. They witches and this one here pulling out guns and rocket launchers. That was pretty clever episode.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Any news on when the second half of the first season will hit Netflix? I just watched the episodes available on netflix and learned that it's only half of the full first season 🤔

Is no one else watching this?
The first Little Witch OVA was a savior of anime, and one of the most charming, freshest and beautifully animated shorts in a long time.

A month after this show is on US Netflix, this thread only has nine pages.

Even ignoring the uneven potential of the series, what a bungle this distribution has been.

Finally finished watching season 1. What a great finale! In the lead up when Diana's posse cornered Akko and started talking shit about her, Sucy, and Lotte I thought they were going to back her up especially when Sucy was starting to ungulate her neck in that weird way. I was like "shiiit, Sucy bout to fuck y'all up!", but she didn't do shit.

The performance at the end was incredible too. I do think it's fucked up that
Akko and the rest got disqualified. That brown girl said she broke the rules I guess because she lifted the curse, but COME ON! I feel that Diana is going to refuse the Moonlit title though. She seems to have some kind of heart unlike her friends.
Can't wait to see how this plays out in Season 2.

LotusHD

Banned
Finally finished watching season 1. What a great finale! In the lead up when Diana's posse cornered Akko and started talking shit about her, Sucy, and Lotte I thought they were going to back her up especially when Sucy was starting to ungulate her neck in that weird way. I was like "shiiit, Sucy bout to fuck y'all up!", but she didn't do shit.

The performance at the end was incredible too. I do think it's fucked up that
Akko and the rest got disqualified. That brown girl said she broke the rules I guess because she lifted the curse, but COME ON! I feel that Diana is going to refuse the Moonlit title though. She seems to have some kind of heart unlike her friends.
Can't wait to see how this plays out in Season 2.

That wasn't Season 1! Netflix just didn't add the other half of it lol

Lusankya

I haven't seen the second half of season 1 yet, but I hope Sucy gets to them in the typical "Sucy way". Although I actually kinda like Hannah and Barbara as they're so dorky.

The anime and the OVA are probably my favorite (Japanese) series I have watched in the last ten years. It' like they got rid of all the negative stuff associated with anime and only included the good stuff of Eastern and Western animation.

Nuu

Banned
I saw an interview citing it as such. Not that I realised when I was watching! Can definitely see the parallels though with being obsessed with your idols.

I don't understand why. I mean is the animation industry really in trouble either critically or commercially?

Astral

Akko is one of my favorite protagonists in recent memory. She is so goddamn likable even though she is kinda selfish and a major fuckup.

black070

Only just started this but boy is it charming. It reminds me a lot of Kiki's Delivery Service which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom