• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

LittleBig Contra is OUT NOW!! Let's Attack Aggressively, GAF

EL Beefo

Member
Jul 24, 2008
720
0
850
Heck, if no one else wants to, I take on the Energy Zone.
PSN = El_Beefo

Check out my level "Prisoner of War" to see my paintinator level, I have a good boss in there too, so that should be somewhat relevant to this.
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
Alright sounds good dude, I'll add you in a sec. All I have to say is I'm glad my "boss" isn't going to be a big deal, since I've never made a boss before. I'm glad I saved the real bosses for the pros lol.
 

andycapps

Member
Dec 20, 2006
30,586
0
0
Columbus, OH
I fully support this goal as Contra is one of my favorite games of all time. Not good enough to help make the levels, but I'll gladly play them and hopefully provide some constructive feedback.
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
Can someone enlighten me on how exactly making music works with LBP? I've played a mario level that had the underwater music before, but it would stop sometimes. Is this because each note is loaded on a sound effect trigger and you have to keep moving forward to get the proper note sequence?
 

ThirstyFly

Member
Jun 8, 2004
5,624
2
1,295
WIP pics look awesome. Contra being one of my all time faves, I can't wait to play these levels.

I hope you're not planning on putting the name Contra anywhere though. I'd hate to see these flushed down into moderation hell.
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
Just a quick update to everyone working on a level (included in the OP as well):

UPDATE: Scale references -

I examined each map layout and came up with ways of identifying 1 unit of measurement for each level in Contra. The reason I did this is I already have almost completed the layout for Jungle and I just want to make sure our way of measuring the sprites are consistent. 1 unit of Contra sprite is equal to going into LBP, putting big grid on, and with smallest possible box putting two boxes side by side. So just to be clear, 2 "big grid" units side by side is equal to 1 unit of measurement. Here is a rundown of a way to identify 1 unit of measurement in each map that might help:

Waterfall: If you look closely at the grass you can see tiny notches underneath the grass platforms. Every 2 notches would translate to 1 unit of measurement.

Snowfield: Every giant slab of ice platform in the foreground counts as 1 unit of measurement.

Energy Zone: Every 4 notches in the floor design counts as 1 unit of measurement. Keep in mind that a platform in Energy Zone might look longer than it actually is since they tend to pour over into the next wall for the sake of perspective. For example, the first series of "steps" needed to jump up after starting the level have 2 extra notches but the platform itself has only 4 notches of surface area to walk on.

Hangar: The same as Energy Zone; every 4 notches in the floor design is 1 unit of measurement.

Alien's Lair: The alien floor has a vein design every so often. Every vein is 1 unit of measurement.

If you guys have issues with these just let me know, I'm pretty sure if we stick to this all of our levels will be pretty consistent. As far as vertical scale is concerned, try to stay accurate if you can but take into account that sackboys can't jump as high as Bill and Lance. For jumps that should be reachable by the player but are just too high when they are to scale, try putting a little bump on the terrain to help the player make the jump or simply lower/raise the ledge if you feel like it. And to compensate for the longer horizontal jumping ability of sackboys, try to space out some of the platforms a little more than they are in the actual game just to get the difficult Contra jumps to translate properly to LBP.

- Fixed camera views to try to simulate the proper view from Contra. Keep the tracking all the way up but set a camera network throughout the map to make sure the orientation of the level from Contra is as accurate as possible. At key points feel free to use the camera as you feel would be most effective, for example during the bridge sequence in Jungle I have the camera pull back and center a bit on each bridge. Let's refrain from freezing up the gameplay with a camera event/dialogue bubbles though, and keep the gameplay fast-paced.

-Use your discretion with altering the level. I know I have been saying that you need to be true to Contra first and foremost, and that still holds true to a degree. But if you REALLY feel like you have a good idea that makes the level better and it isn't too outrageous feel free to take your idea and go with it. I would hate to limit creativity and let good ideas go to waste because of me being stubborn.

ThirstyFly said:
WIP pics look awesome. Contra being one of my all time faves, I can't wait to play these levels.

I hope you're not planning on putting the name Contra anywhere though. I'd hate to see these flushed down into moderation hell.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Question though: why wouldn't we be able to put the word Contra in it? Is that not allowed?

Edit: I can see it being an issue possibly if the name of the level was "Contra" but if it's like..."LittleBig Contra" or "Contra Jungle" I don't see how that is crossing any lines. The word contra isn't trademarked it's an actual word.
 

ThirstyFly

Member
Jun 8, 2004
5,624
2
1,295
MisterAnderson said:
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Question though: why wouldn't we be able to put the word Contra in it? Is that not allowed?

Edit: I can see it being an issue possibly if the name of the level was "Contra" but if it's like..."LittleBig Contra" or "Contra Jungle" I don't see how that is crossing any lines. The word contra isn't trademarked it's an actual word.

You could probably get away with using "Contra", but considering how close you're trying to make the levels, they could be considered a copyright infringement and the name would just bring down extra heat.

I haven't been following the moderation issue lately, but I recall one of the examples MM used was if you were to use the name Oasis (after the band) for your level. The word itself is fine, but if you included Oasis music in your level, that would be fit for moderation.

Teknoman's suggestion of using "Aggressive Attack" sounds cool to me.
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
Teknoman said:
Just call it Aggressive Attack: (insert level name here) :lol

That way you dont risk it. Oh and are you guys just going to use the music tracks in game, or make the soundtrack using instrument sounds?

I have no idea how to make music in the game other than lining up those music in a line or something (based on me seeing some of those music levels.) I asked in an earlier post how exactly the music could be handled, and if anyone on GAF was willing to try to make some music for us because we will likely have our hands full making the levels.

Teknoman said:
Oh and great contra sackboy = Guile pants, Ryu bandanna hair, skin of your choice.

I'm going to go do that right now, lol.

Edit: Aggressive Attack: http://www.dailyhaha.com/_flash/aggressive_attack.htm
 

Teknoman

Member
Nov 7, 2007
61,370
0
0
Houston, Texas
www.youtube.com
MisterAnderson said:
I have no idea how to make music in the game other than lining up those music in a line or something (based on me seeing some of those music levels.) I asked in an earlier post how exactly the music could be handled, and if anyone on GAF was willing to try to make some music for us because we will likely have our hands full making the levels.



I'm going to go do that right now, lol.

Edit: Aggressive Attack: http://www.dailyhaha.com/_flash/aggressive_attack.htm

lol someone actually made a game with that name? I just took the line from Contra III and shortened it to the two most important words in the sentence :lol
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
What line? I've played through Contra 3 but I don't remember the inside joke that everyone is apparently getting lol.
 

Teknoman

Member
Nov 7, 2007
61,370
0
0
Houston, Texas
www.youtube.com
MisterAnderson said:
What line? I've played through Contra 3 but I don't remember the inside joke that everyone is apparently getting lol.



Watch Contra III's intro cutscene.

Sackboy Contra costume in action (also self pimping of my Aerial Armory stage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fcuzXHowY4&feature=channel_page

Really wish you guys were trying to tackle Contra Hard corps :lol
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
Just an idea I had and an example for what would make a cool alteration to a level. Granted Donkey Show can do what he wants, I'm sure whatever he ends up doing it will be epic, but I can't help but think how awesome it would be if in the Alien's Lair after you defeat the final boss, the level starts to break apart and blow up and you have to make your way to the helicopter to get off the island before it blows.
 

Teknoman

Member
Nov 7, 2007
61,370
0
0
Houston, Texas
www.youtube.com
MisterAnderson said:
Just an idea I had and an example for what would make a cool alteration to a level. Granted Donkey Show can do what he wants, I'm sure whatever he ends up doing it will be epic, but I can't help but think how awesome it would be if in the Alien's Lair after you defeat the final boss, the level starts to break apart and blow up and you have to make your way to the helicopter to get off the island before it blows.

I support this idea.
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
This is going to sound like a silly question I'm sure, it sounds silly to me after some of the stuff I've done in this level and I can't figure this simple thing out. How do I make a piston move to the max size position and then stay there? (and not return to the min position) I am guessing you max out "pause"?

Edit: Nope, when I raise pause it makes the initial extend pause as well. I want it to raise up when the piston is triggered and then stay at max length. Erectile dysfunction piston :(
 

InfectedZero

Member
Jan 19, 2007
1,752
0
0
33
University Place, Wa
MisterAnderson said:
This is going to sound like a silly question I'm sure, it sounds silly to me after some of the stuff I've done in this level and I can't figure this simple thing out. How do I make a piston move to the max size position and then stay there? (and not return to the min position) I am guessing you max out "pause"?
If you need it to move use a switch and set it to direction. Tweak with inversions.

Stealth super edit -- Use a dissolve switch.
 

EL Beefo

Member
Jul 24, 2008
720
0
850
ThirstyFly said:
You could probably get away with using "Contra", but considering how close you're trying to make the levels, they could be considered a copyright infringement and the name would just bring down extra heat.

I haven't been following the moderation issue lately, but I recall one of the examples MM used was if you were to use the name Oasis (after the band) for your level. The word itself is fine, but if you included Oasis music in your level, that would be fit for moderation.

Teknoman's suggestion of using "Aggressive Attack" sounds cool to me.

What about each level being called LBC (for Little Big Contra) the the level name.

So we would have LBC Jungle, LBC Base 1, etc. Then if anyone asks, we just tell them LBC stands for Little Big Coolawesomelevels.:D


As for the actual level building. I've finished a rough layout of my level in dark mater, and am currently in the process of making it look nice. I figure I'll get to the enemies near the end (unless someone else does them separately, which would be great for keeping things consistent).
 

ThirstyFly

Member
Jun 8, 2004
5,624
2
1,295
MisterAnderson said:
Just an idea I had and an example for what would make a cool alteration to a level. Granted Donkey Show can do what he wants, I'm sure whatever he ends up doing it will be epic, but I can't help but think how awesome it would be if in the Alien's Lair after you defeat the final boss, the level starts to break apart and blow up and you have to make your way to the helicopter to get off the island before it blows.

Shhhhh. The level I'm doing now has that. It's a secret~
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
Hey Jaeyden sorry about that, my headset died earlier. Speaking of which his level (Hangar) is pure secks. He showed me what he has so far and it's pretty damn impressive.

Xenon also did a test for Base 1 and it was very reminiscent of the standard base gameplay. With the camera set up looking ahead and the force field halting the player it has a lot of potential. We will have to see what Orz is cooking up though!

Hopefully someone nabs Waterfall soon, it looks lonely. Also we still need someone to make some enemies! /wink /wink
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172388

Awesome stuff. Makes me want that music in our levels soooo bad.

Edit: Someone has contacted me on PSN (RyanardoDavinci) with news that he has been working on Waterfall for the past 3 days. He doesn't have a GAF account but lurks daily :p He showed me what he has so far and it's looking really good, so it looks like we have a full roster (with Xenon as backup) for this project. Ryanardo has already put some turrets in his level and I think we really need to decide how we are going to handle our enemy situation. Infected Zero's idea was that we all make our own and then have a vote on which enemies are the best out of the bunch. That sounds like a good idea, but that's time that could be better spent on making our levels as best as they could be, so hopefully someone will decide they feel up to contributing and making some enemies for us :) Also, again, if anyone is willing to do in-game music for us.... that would make this 10 times more amazing. :D

After only a few days and seeing the first steps of what everyone is making this is turning out to be extremely badass -keep it up everyone!
 

Jaeyden

Member
Oct 22, 2007
1,514
0
0
UK
Teknoman said:
Jaeyden, how do you make your background objects look almost like neon lights? Is it just a certain sticker type or the lighting in the level?

Use the Green VR grid from the MGS pack and cut shapes out of it so that it forms very thin lines of border.
 

Jaeyden

Member
Oct 22, 2007
1,514
0
0
UK
I'm gonna trim up my friends list so I can get everyone else on my list. I think it would be cool if we would all regularly publish our WIP's locked and then get everyone else in the group a key to the other levels. This way we can get a feel for what everyone else is doing, offer feedback and what not. I have a copyable level in Antarctica called Lock and Key! everyone should use this. There is a tutorial built into the level on how to use it. We can all use the same stickerswitch to gain access to each others keys. I sent a sticker to everyone on my friend list to use to access the key to my level if you want to take a look. P.M. me if you need any help setting up your own L& K for your level, just use the same sticker I sent out for your sticker switch.
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
Mik2121 said:
Damn, I would love to do something, but all the stages are taken.. :(

Feel like making some sweet enemies? :)

Also I just wanna add that I've talked and checked out the levels for everyone except for Donkey Show and Orz. Donkey Show I tried adding you to my PSN friends list but it said yours was full, so please add me when you get a chance. I'm gonna have to work almost all weekend but if I have any spare time you can be sure I will be online and I'll try to get in touch with you both to see what's up.

Oh and I went ahead and made a sticker switch level and published my latest last night in case you guys are wondering if I did that yet. I think that makes me, Jaeyden, and El_Beefo with their WIP's available online to the team members for reference and feedback purposes. Hopefully we all get ours available to each other ASAP like Jaeyden said, I think it will go a long way to keeping us all organized and hopefully result in some constructive criticism that will go to improving our levels.
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
Teknoman said:
Jungle and Hangar are looking great so far. Are you guys going to have that "enemy spawn until you move forward" system? Or just a few enemy placements for normal enemies?

Respawns for sure :D
 

Xenon

Member
I was thinking of using the army figures in my level. They would be could be good for grenadiers and stationary gunners.

One thing I found out that was a little disappointing is that you have to target sackboy below the neck to get a hit otherwise he ducks his head. This doesn’t leave a lot of room to distinguish between low and high attacks.
 

Ploid 3.0

Member
Jun 6, 2004
28,300
4
1,510
Dude I played some of these levels. Outstanding stuff, man you guys are insanely good. Bravo
 

donkey show

Member
Oct 16, 2006
21,344
2
1,420
Now that I'll have four days off from work and grad school after tonight, I'll step up construction of the Alien's Lair. Considering it's a short stage, I might have to beef up the final boss a bit. :D

Everything else is looking good so far guys! Good job!
 

Jaeyden

Member
Oct 22, 2007
1,514
0
0
UK
Lord Error said:
Amazing stuff so far. With Jaeyden on board I don't expect anything but though :-D

You are far too kind Lord Error :) I am just honored to be able to contribute with the rest of the great authors we've got on board. Energy Zone is looking great, Jungle is awesome so far. Xenon's base concepts are moving forward really well. Can't wait to see what Donkey Show and Ryanardo put together. This is gonna be really cool when we're done.
 

Orz

Member
Apr 9, 2005
51
0
0
Just a quick update since I found a few hours to work on Base 1/2. Here's what's now working:

  • 2-player spawn-in and placement in control trolleys
  • Life medals representing the 4 stock lives, which dissolve when a player sustains a hit
  • Player 2 model & life medals will only appear when player 2 is present
  • Side-to-side control of the player-model
  • Mechanism for forward movement through levels when there are no walls/fences
  • Mechanism to transition to fighting the boss
  • Player 1 & 2 can fire bullets
  • Mechanism for ending play for a player who runs out of lives, allowing the other to continue
  • 'Game Over' and 'Victory' level endings
  • Most non-spawn infrastructure complete

Still to do:

  • Spawning of the different variety of enemy walls
  • Spawning of the advancing wall 'wreckage'
  • Spawning of enemy soldier 'carts'
  • Completing boss design
  • Cosmetic finishing

I've got a meeting tomorrow afternoon, but I should finish up some more work and post some pictures by the end of the day.
 

Mik2121

Member
Sep 15, 2005
14,826
0
0
Osaka, Japan
mik2121.com
MisterAnderson said:
Feel like making some sweet enemies? :)

Also I just wanna add that I've talked and checked out the levels for everyone except for Donkey Show and Orz. Donkey Show I tried adding you to my PSN friends list but it said yours was full, so please add me when you get a chance. I'm gonna have to work almost all weekend but if I have any spare time you can be sure I will be online and I'll try to get in touch with you both to see what's up.

Oh and I went ahead and made a sticker switch level and published my latest last night in case you guys are wondering if I did that yet. I think that makes me, Jaeyden, and El_Beefo with their WIP's available online to the team members for reference and feedback purposes. Hopefully we all get ours available to each other ASAP like Jaeyden said, I think it will go a long way to keeping us all organized and hopefully result in some constructive criticism that will go to improving our levels.
Thanks, but actually I'm not too much into enemies. In fact, all the stages I've done don't include enemies, just platforming.. :p

But thanks anyway. Good luck with this!.
 
Nov 26, 2005
6,274
0
1,500
34
donkey show said:
Now that I'll have four days off from work and grad school after tonight, I'll step up construction of the Alien's Lair. Considering it's a short stage, I might have to beef up the final boss a bit. :D

Everything else is looking good so far guys! Good job!

Did you catch my idea for a post-final boss addition involving a narrow escape from a collapsing level before finally reaching the chopper and flying away from the exploding island? :D
Do whatever you want I'm sure it will be gold.
 

Xenon

Member
Orz said:
Just a quick update since I found a few hours to work on Base 1/2. Here's what's now working:

  • 2-player spawn-in and placement in control trolleys
  • Life medals representing the 4 stock lives, which dissolve when a player sustains a hit
  • Player 2 model & life medals will only appear when player 2 is present
  • Side-to-side control of the player-model
  • Mechanism for forward movement through levels when there are no walls/fences
  • Mechanism to transition to fighting the boss
  • Player 1 & 2 can fire bullets
  • Mechanism for ending play for a player who runs out of lives, allowing the other to continue
  • 'Game Over' and 'Victory' level endings
  • Most non-spawn infrastructure complete

Still to do:

  • Spawning of the different variety of enemy walls
  • Spawning of the advancing wall 'wreckage'
  • Spawning of enemy soldier 'carts'
  • Completing boss design
  • Cosmetic finishing

I've got a meeting tomorrow afternoon, but I should finish up some more work and post some pictures by the end of the day.

Wow that sounds great. I think my work here is done. Ill leave what I have but it looks like things are shaping up.

I already have an idea for a level with what I made so its not time wasted ;)
 

donkey show

Member
Oct 16, 2006
21,344
2
1,420
MisterAnderson said:
Did you catch my idea for a post-final boss addition involving a narrow escape from a collapsing level before finally reaching the chopper and flying away from the exploding island? :D
Do whatever you want I'm sure it will be gold.
Nope, but you sure as hell read my mind.
 

Jaeyden

Member
Oct 22, 2007
1,514
0
0
UK
Weird, that Lock and Key level I have was set up wrong. You can now copy it to your moon to lock up level keys. Sorry to you guys that had tried to copy it. Its in Antarctica.
 

Slurmer

Banned
Jun 27, 2007
9,277
48
1,170
I wonder if Sony will ever start using some of the awesome user-created levels (like Azure Palace) in their advertisements for LBP??