• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBig Contra is OUT NOW!! Let's Attack Aggressively, GAF

Teknoman

Just make sure to check any bladed or spiked dangerous elements. You might have to reattach em after the latest patch.

EDIT: Post the logo, really interested now.

Also can non-team members preview stages? Would like to make a preview video of at least Waterfall or Jungle...but dunno if you guys want your work to be shown before the entire thing is done.

Teknoman said:
Just make sure to check any bladed or spiked dangerous elements. You might have to reattach em after the latest patch.

EDIT: Post the logo, really interested now.

Also can non-team members preview stages? Would like to make a preview video of at least Waterfall or Jungle...but dunno if you guys want your work to be shown before the entire thing is done.

What do you mean "bladed or spiked dangerous elements"?

And I wouldn't mind showing a preview vid but there are only a couple spots of mine that are showable since there aren't any final enemies in yet (things that might be good for the video would probably be the destructible bridges, ambush turrets some "swimming" and if I get cracking tomorrow night/monday possibly the boss pretty soon).

I think it would be best to wait to put together a vid of our stuff once we all decide/get our hands on a set of definitive enemies to put in our levels, though.

Teknoman

Like enemies that use the knife/dagger object or spikes in themselves. Just saying, since one of the enemies I made had it's knife rendered useless after the update (would pass Sackboy/girl instead of killing them). Had to reattach the knives on all enemies that used them and republish the level. Same for my in progress level.

Hmm, well I have a couple spikes in the level, but they weren't new additions and haven't had any issues since the patch, but who knows? I'll give it a look next time I am working on the map.

I'm starting to get really worried about getting everything I want crammed in this stage without compromising too much, because my thermo is almost full and after copying my stage and deleting stuff just to see what is possible to free up without having a totally lifeless level, there wasn't much to spare. I'll have to really trim everything up as much as possible if all my ideas are going to make it in.

What sucks is that there isn't even that much actual content in the level yet, its just the damn water shapes I have take soooo much of the thermometer.

I still need to put in:

The rest of my boss

The last scoreboard room

Respawnable enemies (have a couple of shitty enemies I made for fun just so it wasn't so damn boring testing the level)

Some more appearing wall turrets (only have 1 in so far)

Some more flying powerups (only have 1 in)

The appearing wall powerups (have 0 in)

A helicopter that carries the checkpoint

Some other bonus additions I had in mind.

I have a little less than 3 notches on the thermo left, and am able to free up about 2 or 3ish if I totally square up my geometry in the rocks/grass which I'd rather do than compromise gameplay elements I have planned, but aesthetically it would look rather shitty. I might try to balance it by doing simple corner shaving instead of some of the complex shapes I have in now for the rocky terrain. I am really trying to pull out all the stops for my boss and not have it be the pushover it is in original Contra, but at the same time I don't want to compromise the look of the stage especially since everyone else's entries are looking so damn good, lol.

Edit: FYI in case anyone wants to get in contact with me PM me and I can give you my AIM screen name

Teknoman

MisterAnderson said:
Hmm, well I have a couple spikes in the level, but they weren't new additions and haven't had any issues since the patch, but who knows? I'll give it a look next time I am working on the map.

I'm starting to get really worried about getting everything I want crammed in this stage without compromising too much, because my thermo is almost full and after copying my stage and deleting stuff just to see what is possible to free up without having a totally lifeless level, there wasn't much to spare. I'll have to really trim everything up as much as possible if all my ideas are going to make it in.

What sucks is that there isn't even that much actual content in the level yet, its just the damn water shapes I have take soooo much of the thermometer.

I still need to put in:

The rest of my boss

The last scoreboard room

Respawnable enemies (have a couple of shitty enemies I made for fun just so it wasn't so damn boring testing the level)

Some more appearing wall turrets (only have 1 in so far)

Some more flying powerups (only have 1 in)

The appearing wall powerups (have 0 in)

A helicopter that carries the checkpoint

Some other bonus additions I had in mind.

I have a little less than 3 notches on the thermo left, and am able to free up about 2 or 3ish if I totally square up my geometry in the rocks/grass which I'd rather do than compromise gameplay elements I have planned, but aesthetically it would look rather shitty. I might try to balance it by doing simple corner shaving instead of some of the complex shapes I have in now for the rocky terrain. I am really trying to pull out all the stops for my boss and not have it be the pushover it is in original Contra, but at the same time I don't want to compromise the look of the stage especially since everyone else's entries are looking so damn good, lol.

Edit: FYI in case anyone wants to get in contact with me PM me and I can give you my AIM screen name

Jungle fortress wall boss huh? Try taking some ideas from the Contra IV version if you're lacking on inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq698b0985A

Heh, I wouldn't say I'm lacking inspiration exactly. ;) I know exactly what I want to do for the wall boss (and have implemented some already) My only worry is by the time I implement everything I fear that there will be no thermo left for the aforementioned "to-do" list.

PS Contra IV kicks ass and you reminded me that I still need to beat it. I'm going to go try to right now. Although I'm deliriously tired and probably won't get very far as a result, lol.

Edit: Way too tired to competently play a Contra game. Sleep time for me I think. I'm going out of town for two weeks this coming friday which means no working on my level during that time. In a perfect world I'll have it finished by the time I leave but I'm thinking it's not going to happen, and I'd hate to rush it and have an unfinished product. We'll see as the week progresses how things are going, hopefully I can at least have it at a presentable state and "finished" - ready for whatever enemies we decide on dropping in our stages.

Teknoman

10e0ec9.jpg

Ready for action :D

Teknoman

MisterAnderson said:
Looks like my sackboy except I stickered some camo-red pants on him :D

I wish they had a real paint tool for costumes, then i'd make his bandana blue and give em blue pants. By the way Donkey, are you going to do a normal heart last boss battle, or add extras after/before it?

Like Kimkou:
art6.jpg

Or Red Falcon himself?
cont3-28.gif

...or an original creation all your own?

I mean thats if you guys arent going to (after a creation break) tackle Super C next.

Teknoman said:
I wish they had a real paint tool for costumes, then i'd make his bandana blue and give em blue pants. By the way Donkey, are you going to do a normal heart last boss battle, or add extras after/before it?

Like Kimkou:
art6.jpg

Or Red Falcon himself?
cont3-28.gif

I mean thats if you guys arent going to (after a creation break) tackle Super C next.

I just realized that Red falcon is the boss in the 2nd top down level in Super C...why wasn't he the final boss?

ugly-jagger.gif

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I think it looks really cool and all, but aren't you guys worried about Sony taking the levels down?

Teknoman

MisterAnderson said:
I just realized that Red falcon is the boss in the 2nd top down level in Super C...why wasn't he the final boss?

ugly-jagger.gif

Does seem strange that they switched the order around in Super C. Dunno what was up with that.

Rapping Granny said:
How far are you guys in the project? percentage wise.

I'm not sure, it's hard to say since I've seen everyone's levels looking far along except I haven't seen Donkey Show's, Orz's or InfectedZero's yet. As for the rest I'd say they are around 80-90% done. I'd say mine is around 80ish percent. We have yet to create a set of enemies that we all decide to use to create a sense of cohesion between them all as opposed to all of us creating our own.

Quick question for El Beefo: I'm trying to use an emitter to create a stream of energy balls to form a beam. You have your fire streams in Energy Zone shoot out a constant .1 frequency shot of red balls, how do you make them pause and then fire again? Are they like...10 emitters each with a frequency of .1 synced a certain way to allow that to happen?

Edit: I tried emitting a beam-shaped gas object but for some reason the object capture wouldn't capture the color I assigned it...it would emit to green and I didn't want a green beam. Anyone know why this is?

EL Beefo

MisterAnderson said:
Quick question for El Beefo: I'm trying to use an emitter to create a stream of energy balls to form a beam. You have your fire streams in Energy Zone shoot out a constant .1 frequency shot of red balls, how do you make them pause and then fire again? Are they like...10 emitters each with a frequency of .1 synced a certain way to allow that to happen?

Mag key connected to a a piston. As the piston goes back and forth, the key goes in and out of range of a mag switch, turning the emitter on and off.

Teknoman

EL Beefo said:
Mag key connected to a a piston. As the piston goes back and forth, the key goes in and out of range of a mag switch, turning the emitter on and off.

Simplest solution is always the best it seems. Same for sort of complex bosses, make a similar "engine" outside of the stage thats linked to the boss.

For what I have in mind it will be very difficult to sync properly using the piston method but sounds like I don't have a choice, I might have to use two sets of emitters to make it easier, provided I have the thermo for them. If not I'll try my best to sync it. The boss is coming along pretty nicely guys, almost done.

Anyone have an answer for my question about the gas object I created? It would make it much easier using the gas as the beam instead of the energy balls but when I capture the object I created out of gas it reverts back to green, which I don't want

Orz

Prototype Base1 is up on Saitohalifax's planet. The key level is on Antarctica. The basics:

• In the spawn area, player 1 must go the the left, and player 2 to the right
  • Never ever press circle to disengage the jetpack
  • Press L1 when inside the play 'trolley' to fire
  • Left and right move left and right. (Intuitive!)
  • Press 'up' to move 'forward' between walls. (Currently ugly and hokey)
  • Shoot the sensor... thinger... to damage the wall. A light will light up when a sensor or gun emplacement is hit.
Feedback appreciated.

Teknoman

Orz said:
Prototype Base1 is up on Saitohalifax's planet. The key level is on Antarctica. The basics:

• Shoot the sensor... thinger... to damage the wall. A light will light up when a sensor or gun emplacement is hit.
Feedback appreciated.

Whats the combination?

Orz

Teknoman said:
Whats the combination?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that since it's still in prototyping phase, the key is only obtainable to those working on the project via the sticker given out to unlock it... I hope to have it complete by the weekend.

faust666

MisterAnderson said:
Edit: I tried emitting a beam-shaped gas object but for some reason the object capture wouldn't capture the color I assigned it...it would emit to green and I didn't want a green beam. Anyone know why this is?

This is a bug the last patch added.

Orz said:

Feedback appreciated.

I love how the powerups actually affect the gun :D badass and unexpected. Can't wait to play the finished product! I think it might be a little better though if the camera was pulled back a tiny bit and tracking was taken off, it would mimic the HUD a little more with the extra lives always in view. But I suppose you might have some working pistons and such that might come into view if you pull back, which if is the case then nevermind, heh. I liked how the lights around the targets light up after a hit, it would be cool if "hit" sounds were also added at some point as well, but whatever the case the lights help a lot and give almost a pinball-esque feel to the game, giving it a lot of charm.

There were some issues with moving while firing, at least for me. I played earlier with El Beefo and he seemed to have no trouble rapid firing while moving seamlessly but for me it seemed that whenever I would shoot, my guy would decide to not move, so maybe I was doing something wrong. One more thing - sometimes when I would run into the player 2 slot it would either drop me off into nothingness or the mechanism to place me under my commando would squish me somehow, but that issue never seemed to happen to the player 1 slot. I'm assuming most of these things if not all you are already aware of, but just in case thought I should mention them. Keep it up man I love what you came up with!

On another note, check out the intro to Jungle when you guys get a chance...I whipped something up real quick... plan to improve it once I get more important things in my level taken care of but in the meantime let me know what you think.

Teknoman

Orz said:
Sorry, I should have mentioned that since it's still in prototyping phase, the key is only obtainable to those working on the project via the sticker given out to unlock it... I hope to have it complete by the weekend.

Gotcha.

Orz

MisterAnderson said:
I love how the powerups actually affect the gun :D badass and unexpected. Can't wait to play the finished product! I think it might be a little better though if the camera was pulled back a tiny bit and tracking was taken off, it would mimic the HUD a little more with the extra lives always in view.

The camera is pulled back as far as it will allow, and tracking is turned down to its lowest level. I wish that meant zero, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to.

MisterAnderson said:
I liked how the lights around the targets light up after a hit, it would be cool if "hit" sounds were also added at some point as well, but whatever the case the lights help a lot and give almost a pinball-esque feel to the game, giving it a lot of charm.

There actually should be a sound that plays... I guess that needs repair.

MisterAnderson said:
There were some issues with moving while firing, at least for me. I played earlier with El Beefo and he seemed to have no trouble rapid firing while moving seamlessly but for me it seemed that whenever I would shoot, my guy would decide to not move, so maybe I was doing something wrong.

There are unfortunately two grabbable surfaces within the 'trolley'. If you're grabbing sides or the floor, you're grabbing the main structure of the trolley and should have no trouble moving and shooting. The ceiling is separate, made of dissolve material to facilitate killing the player after a game over / victory. It'll still fire the gun, but you might have some issues moving smoothly if you're grabbing that. I'll check into it.

MisterAnderson said:
One more thing - sometimes when I would run into the player 2 slot it would either drop me off into nothingness or the mechanism to place me under my commando would squish me somehow, but that issue never seemed to happen to the player 1 slot.

If Player 1 has jumped into his doorway to convey him to the Player 1 slot well before Player 2 jumps into theirs, it may result in Player 2's conveyance leaving before they get there, due to proximity switches not sticking to their own plane. I may be able to fix that. Thanks for the update.

MisterAnderson said:
Keep it up man I love what you came up with!

Thanks a lot. There's still a lot of tweaking and cosmetic work to be done, as well as better sounds, but it's actually a functional game. You wouldn't believe the number of wheels and switches, and the number of times I've redesigned major elements from scratch. If there's interest, maybe I'll put up a 'behind the scenes' level where one can explore all the various infrastructure behind the level.

After reading over your post and playing again, I can control it much better when i make sure to grab on to the sides (for some reason I guess I was grabbing the ceiling) and I can hear the sounds from hits. I probably couldn't hear them cause I was chatting during the first few plays and not paying close enough attention

damnit, I thought of this a really long time ago and wanted to do it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have looked this good or been this well thought out. Great work man.

Can someone tell me how I can make impact bombs that are immune to being prematurely blown up by the player's paintballs? I want the bombs to explode on contact with the ground but in order to do that I have to expose the explosive to player fire. I suppose I can put a mag switch on the emitted bombs protected by a material layer, and put a mag key near the impact site?

MisterAnderson said:
Can someone tell me how I can make impact bombs that are immune to being prematurely blown up by the player's paintballs? I want the bombs to explode on contact with the ground but in order to do that I have to expose the explosive to player fire. I suppose I can put a mag switch on the emitted bombs protected by a material layer, and put a mag key near the impact site?
Can you use the switch bombs (the box ones) instead of the impact ones? That might work if they don't get affected by paintballs.

Teknoman said:

Like Kimkou:

Or Red Falcon himself?

Haha, I was thinking of doing Red Falcon since he seems pretty easy to replicate but I started drawing out something different that hopefully would be really cool in terms of original monsters.

Hopefully I can put some quality work on this by the end of the week. Work at the hospital has been killer lately on top of juggling grad school. I really haven't found the time to sit down and get some quality hours on this thing. I will finish it though. At least the skeleton of the stage is completed but the design is still ass in my eyes.

donkey show said:
Can you use the switch bombs (the box ones) instead of the impact ones? That might work if they don't get affected by paintballs.

The switch bombs worked, not sure why I didn't think of that. Unfortunately it's not as satisfying when the bombs don't go boom when you shoot them in the air...the reason I was changing them was due to the fact that when the player shoots the bombs my boss shoots out too close to certain parts of it, for some reason some of the emitters get destroyed. If anyone has any fixes for preventing that from happening I'm all ears. In the meantime I'm trying to control the explosions better to prevent them from blowing off the emitters. Hoping it's just a temporary fix but if not, oh well.

Orz

MisterAnderson said:
The switch bombs worked, not sure why I didn't think of that. Unfortunately it's not as satisfying when the bombs don't go boom when you shoot them in the air...the reason I was changing them was due to the fact that when the player shoots the bombs my boss shoots out too close to certain parts of it, for some reason some of the emitters get destroyed. If anyone has any fixes for preventing that from happening I'm all ears. In the meantime I'm trying to control the explosions better to prevent them from blowing off the emitters. Hoping it's just a temporary fix but if not, oh well.

Assuming your boss is fairly large, try putting the emitters on the other side of it, or somewhere far away from where the explosive will appear. You can then set the explosive to appear where you want it, and tweak velocities and such to match.

Orz said:
Assuming your boss is fairly large, try putting the emitters on the other side of it, or somewhere far away from where the explosive will appear. You can then set the explosive to appear where you want it, and tweak velocities and such to match.

I am thinking about doing this, the only thing is I had already spent a ton of time setting the precise trajectory to about 42 emitters. Naturally I am not enthusiastic about doing it over again, so if I get to it I'll get to it last.

Jaeyden

Has anyone heard anything from donkeyshow or InfectedZero? We have 4-5 stages getting close to completion and just wondering where everyone is at.

Jaeyden said:
Has anyone heard anything from donkeyshow or InfectedZero? We have 4-5 stages getting close to completion and just wondering where everyone is at.
A couple posts up.

donkey show said:
Hopefully I can put some quality work on this by the end of the week. Work at the hospital has been killer lately on top of juggling grad school. I really haven't found the time to sit down and get some quality hours on this thing. I will finish it though. At least the skeleton of the stage is completed but the design is still ass in my eyes.

Jaeyden

Sorry donkeyshow, my bad. I guess that's what I get for not opening my eyes...LOL.

So that just leaves the Snow Field....

Teknoman

I really want to see how Football boss guy is handled LBP style :lol

Hope the waterfall boss looks really menacing as well.

Jaeyden said:
Sorry donkeyshow, my bad. I guess that's what I get for not opening my eyes...LOL.
It's all good. I just wish I had more time to devote to it, especially before SFIV comes out. On top of all that madness, I'm rearranging my furniture at my place before the wifey gets back from England next month. That shit is a fucking mess. :lol

So is there a way to stop music or am I missing something? I've tried having the event I want to trigger the "no music" to start a music box set to the volume on zero...I've tried putting the music box I want to stop on a dissolve block...running out of ideas here.

Can you only change music tracks but not stop the music?

Edit: I'm dumb and my wires were crossed.

Ok so here's the deal:

I think that everyone that is part of this project is going to have to post a progress report on here so we get an idea for about where we are all at. We also need to discuss the manner in which we are going to be releasing these. I had always imagined (and would like) for them all to release simultaneously, however there are quite a few that are nearing completion, and some that aren't. Of particular concern is that I haven't heard from Infected Zero in about a week and a half and haven't seen any of his Snowfield up to this point, assuming he has worked on it. I don't think it would be fair to all of us who finish our stages only to have to wait on one level to be completed before publishing to the public.

Now what we could do is release them as soon as they are finished, but hold off on marketing them until all are done. Then when all are completed we go all out and market them as our project on the interwebs. I'd really like some feedback on how we should go about releasing these levels at this point because like I said, it would be a shame if we are all finished but are held up on releasing and getting plays because of one level not being finished, but then again releasing them all together as one big event would be really something.

Anyway, here is my progress report as of today:

Map structure: 95% complete - Need to create the final scoreboard room

Visuals: 85% complete - Assuming I have enough thermometer, I will probably go back and make things look prettier and add as many decorations as I can without popping the thermo. I would also LOVE to incorporate a helicopter as the spawn point that drops the player overhead, which I plan to do eventually. There's this blackhawk helicopter someone made and gave as an object in his level. DonkeyShow: assuming you still want to do a helicopter escape, we can consider saving us time in creating our copters and using this because while it is pretty huge it looks pretty amazing. We could just scale it down if we needed to anyway.

Enemies: 25% complete - I have some temporary enemies (snipers) in that need to be replaced, and some turrets that I think are pretty good. Ambush turrets that pop out of the ground as well as a functional wall turret that comes out of the wall when you get near it. I need to take that wall turret and put them in the rest of the spots that they appear in the level.

We still need to create and decide on a set of enemies to use between each of our levels. We also need to discuss on the behavior of the enemies so that they not only look consistent, but feel consistent. For example, El Beefo's Energy Zone has enemies shooting from very far forcing the player to dodge bullets in some cases when you can't even see the shooting enemy. The same goes to some of the turrets placed in Ryanardo's Waterfall. While I have no real problem with game play decisions like these, and I love a challenge, I think we all need to decide on how we handle mechanics of the enemies such as - "Do they shoot at all times or only when the player is nearby? What are the lifespan of the bullets? The speed?" etc. Another thing to ask is how do we want the camera to behave on a normal basis? I personally think that keeping tracking all the way up whenever possible and trying to maintain a straight on side-view point is important for the "Contra feel" and the camera angle should only deviate from it for sections that really benefit from the view change. I feel it's important that we all find a balance and get as much consistency between our levels as possible so they feel like a part of a whole. We are going to need better communication to achieve this, though.

Boss - 90% complete - I'll save the details on what more I need to do to not spoil the surprises ;)

Sounds/Music - 90% - I created an opening jingle to mimic the title screen of Contra, as well as the "boss defeated/level completed" music. I sent out an object yesterday of the "boss defeated" one but have since then made changes to it (also some bug disconnected all of the wires and some of my switches, so it's kind of useless unless you position and wire it up from scratch) I think at some point all of us should incorporate that song after the boss is defeated - I'm not the best LBP music composer out there so if you feel you can make a better one than mine (just run through my locked level real quick to hear it) go for it. But in the meantime I think mine gets the job done :)

As far as the sound effects go, I've pretty much been adding sounds as I go along so they are pretty much done, maybe a few tweaks here and there but they are up to date with the rest of my level.

Assets/Extras - 10% - At this point I'd say all of us are in this range since we haven't really discussed or chosen a set of assets for the stages. We are going to have to have the same working floating powerups that drop either points or a prize bubble with a fun powerup sticker in it (like the M, S, etc.) wall powerups that appear when the player gets near that can be shot and awards points and/or the previously mentioned prize bubbles.

I have a prototype floating powerup at the beginning of my level that I made for fun but it needs work, and we need to decide on the look of it.

Also, Jaeyden and I decided on a Stage Icon logo for our stages. Since Neruthul already has claimed a simple "Contra" logo for the circular level sticker, we thought it would be best if we set ourselves apart somehow. This is the sticker that we came up with:

2qnxwf7.jpg

This is the actual sticker file that you use as the Level Icon. I'll mail it out to everyone when I get a chance so we can all use it on our stage icons.

It ends up looking more like this within the circle, and I think it's pretty cool:
29deo9j.jpg

I think it would be even better if we can somehow get player 1 (Bill) in the picture. I find that the Guile hairstyle with blue stickered pants suffices, my only concern is that it will block too much of the Contra text, which needs to be big enough to read clearly. So we might have to just make due with Player 2 in view (Lance).

Bug Fixing - ??% - At some point we should probably put our stages through a beta and have other people test our levels to make sure we don't publish them with some glaring flaw. I'm almost ready to do this, although like I stated previously there aren't many enemies in my stage yet. Also, this isn't necessarily a "bug" but my trolley that carries the spawn point throughout the stage doesn't move fast enough, so I'm going to have to speed it up somehow before I launch the level.

That's all I can think of as of right now - please guys give some feedback on how we should go about releasing these and please post some kind of progress report so we know what's up. These levels are looking really amazing guys, I'm really glad you all decided to participate. I know that a bunch of great games are about to come out, so I'm really hoping we all make as much progress on these as possible before then, and if possible even finish.

Edit: Thanks to Jaeyden for making the sweet Contra font :)

Teknoman

29deo9j.jpg

Nice! :D

Still cant wait till it's promotion time when the stages are all uploaded. Already have Virt contra stage remixes ready for the recorded playthroughs.

Orz

As far as a progress report goes, here's what I have left to do:

• Implement rollers
  • Fix the advancing wall wreckage / illusion of forward movement (Got a good idea on this one)
  • Create roller-dropping enemies
  • Cosmetic and sound tweaks

After I'm satisfied with Base1, it'll be the template for Base2, which won't take much alteration at all. For Base2, here's what's entailed:

• Create the Base2 walls (all 9 are in place, it's just a matter of adjusting them to Base2's layout)
  • Create the Base2 boss
  • Alter the exterior frame to be techno-circuitry instead of rock wall cutout

I'd like to have both finished by the end of the weekend.

If anyone can suggest a good sound effect for the firing of the gun, and the damaging of the wall components that more closely mimics the Contra sound scheme, I'd be appreciative. I don't like what I have now.

Jaeyden

Hangar is about 95% finished. Not much left but to get the boss logic finished and tighten up some of the drop areas from the respawn gate. After that it's just tweaks, fine tuning, adding some more sound effects and swapping out the final turrets and enemies we decide on.

Orz said:
If anyone can suggest a good sound effect for the firing of the gun, and the damaging of the wall components that more closely mimics the Contra sound scheme, I'd be appreciative. I don't like what I have now.

The gunshot sound from Contra is pretty unique and has that echoing sound...when I have some time I might play around with combining a couple of sound effects to make something. For hitting the wall components possibly variations of "metal impact", some other mechanical noises and maybe the "big impact" combined might sound good. Just play around with the sounds and I'm sure you'll come up with something. Honestly I am not too worried with making anything sound like Contra since the sound tools we have at our disposal is so limited, but it would be great if we could get the same impact high pitched noises going on. The paint switch noise suffices but obviously can't be used in your Base levels, lol.

Orz

Near disaster!

Going to edit my level, I get the dreaded message of failed to load level!

Thankfully, since I published a locked copy a few days ago, I only lost a few hours work on the level. My backup on the memory card was even older. After slogging through it and getting back to where I was more or less, I'm going to call Base 1 complete save for a few very minor tweaks. I've had to sacrifice the whole idea of mimicking forward motion between walls, since every idea I've tried has looked awful and usually destroyed itself. I've quashed a lot of bugs, but a few are inherent in the design.

Base 2 is functionally complete save for the boss and minor cosmetics. All the Base 2 walls are complete, and the task of wiring them all was insane. I also need to add the enemy variety that attacks with rollers. The enemy variety that attacks with grenades has been sacrificed as well. Should be done tomorrow.

Alright guys, InfectedZero informed me that he is too busy with work to be able to get Snowfield finished, which means there's a spot open for anyone who might want to join the team and be a part of this fun project.

I had a talk with Ryanardo and he seemed open to doing Snowfield if he had to, but I think it might be best if I first ask GAF if there's anyone else interested before dumping another level on his workload.

I also worked on some enemies last night; I decided to do away with trying to make the enemies proportions "human/realistic" and instead opted for sackboy proportions while retaining the look of the enemies. I think it has a nice charm to it, I'll post pics up later and hopefully get some feedback.

Edit:

Orz said:
Near disaster!

Going to edit my level, I get the dreaded message of failed to load level!

Thankfully, since I published a locked copy a few days ago, I only lost a few hours work on the level. My backup on the memory card was even older. After slogging through it and getting back to where I was more or less, I'm going to call Base 1 complete save for a few very minor tweaks. I've had to sacrifice the whole idea of mimicking forward motion between walls, since every idea I've tried has looked awful and usually destroyed itself. I've quashed a lot of bugs, but a few are inherent in the design.

Base 2 is functionally complete save for the boss and minor cosmetics. All the Base 2 walls are complete, and the task of wiring them all was insane. I also need to add the enemy variety that attacks with rollers. The enemy variety that attacks with grenades has been sacrificed as well. Should be done tomorrow.

This was happening to me a few days ago, luckily I publish my level after ever edit session so it's never an issue, but the first time it happened my heart skipped about 10 beats.

Jaeyden

I made a new turret that I think you'll like. Looks cool, explodes cool and resembles the shape and feel of the game turret.

Thought it might be nice to show you guys a little bit of what I've been working on since the last pics I've shown were very early on. Here's some of the enemies I've come up with, please let me know if you guys like the direction I went with it. I was going for more "sackboy" proportion enemies as opposed to realistic, while trying my best to retain the look of them.

Sniper:

30wb9ma.jpg

Runner:

2qvf8l0.jpg

Ambush turret (pops up from the ground)

24l501j.jpg

332a177.jpg

Wall Boss:

f5c1l0.jpg

In addition I took some more "logo" pics. This time I used two controllers :D

op8f1j.jpg

2cfxgzb.jpg

fernoca

Darn! :O!
Even though I've played most of the Contra games, I'm not a big fan...
But I'm seriously looking forward to play the levels here....really have to admire your dedication.

Top Bottom