• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 in works at Sumo Digital VG247 rumour [Up: Found On Resume]

KalBalboa

Banned
I agree. This is too soon. I doubt the "exclusive" PS3 game we see from Sumo this year is LBP 3. LBP 2 still feels fresh and new to me.

Again: the game would be at least a year off from when it gets announced (which it hasn't). LBP2 came out two years ago. If it's happening, that is.

Not that I really like how Sony is milking LBP franchise now, but still, this game can be very good and innovative.

There are 2 PS3 LBP games, a kart racer, a PSP game, and a PS Vita game (which is he best of the bunch, imo). That's not so bad, considering it's been around for about five years.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Lets not get angry that Tarsier is not working on the next LBP, instead they'r-

Tariser need to make that City of Metronome game.

Oh, this man knows what's up! PS4 too! Hopefully.

You know, wasn't Media Molecule working on a second game too?

KalBalboa

Banned
yearly isn't milking....?

Different platforms, different genres... the last proper LBP game on PS3 was over two years ago. That's like saying Mario Kart & Super Mario 3D Land alone are milking the Mario franchise.

If the game came out today I could see somewhat of an argument, but come on. If it got announced today we'd have at least nine months minimum (most likely a year) to wait on it. Three years, at minimum, is what we're talking about here.

Different platforms, different genres... the last proper LBP game on PS3 was over two years ago. That's like saying Mario Kart & Super Mario 3D Land alone are milking the Mario franchise.

If the game came out today I could see somewhat of an argument, but come on. If it got announced today we'd have at least nine months minimum (most likely a year) to wait on it. Three years, at minimum, is what we're talking about here.

why don't the handheld games count, exactly?

leroidys

The first one wasn't that good but the second one was wicked. I played the whole game co-op with a buddy and it was a blast.

My exact experience. I hope they focus more on single player and less on play/create/share, but I know that won't happen.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Aren't Tarsier overseeing the franchise these days while MM does something else? I would be surprised if they weren't contributing in some way to this game.

KalBalboa

Banned
why don't the handheld games count, exactly?

The PSP game that came out over three years ago? Sure, count it if you want.

The Vita game is going to be at least a year and change old if LBP 3 somehow comes out this Christmas... which I doubt it will. In general, I don't think many people consider hand held titles to be enough to hold them over if they're waiting on console versions, but that's subjective and a hole I'm certainly not traveling down into on GAF.

I just don't think a rumored game that wont be out for a year or two from now somehow constitutes as milking the LBP brand when it'll be the first proper console LBP in 3-4 years.

TheOGB

Banned
This makes perfect sense.

If this is true, then SuperBot must be working on Sonic & SEGA All-Star Battle Royale Fighting Megamix

Takao

Banned
Ensuring each LBP sells less than the last, huh? Unless PS3 gets closer to $150 soon there's no point in all this family software.

yurinka

Sumo does great racing games, they should have made LBP Karting. It's too early for LBP3, they should need to wait a bit more, 2014 maybe. Makes sense in as a PS3+Vita family game, but before of this they both need a good pricecut or two.

The PSP game that came out over three years ago? Sure, count it if you want.

The Vita game is going to be at least a year and change old if LBP 3 somehow comes out this Christmas... which I doubt it will. In general, I don't think many people consider hand held titles to be enough to hold them over if they're waiting on console versions, but that's subjective and a hole I'm certainly not traveling down into on GAF.

I just don't think a rumored game that wont be out for a year or two from now somehow constitutes as milking the LBP brand when it'll be the first proper console LBP in 3-4 years.

there have been four LBP games in five years. that's....kind of a lot for a franchise that hasn't really had a significant overhaul in any of its installments.

Sumo is a superb studio, it's in great hands. I wonder why they didn't gave the project to tarsier or why it's not featured more prominently as a PS4 title. If they revamped the formula a little bit and made a launch title it could be great.

It's probably LBP Karting 2 though.

KalBalboa

Banned
there have been four LBP games in five years. that's....kind of a lot for a franchise that hasn't really had a significant overhaul in any of its installments.

If that's your angle...

250px-LBP_Karting_Cover.jpg

It's a completely different genre from the rest of the LBP games.

I'd also argue there was a significant step forward when LBP went to Vita, considering what the new handheld's tech afforded the game. LBP2 was also significantly better than the first game.

Letting the existing community die in a fire isn't the way to grow a franchise... if the people still playing online need better moderation... give it to them. Their negative word of mouth could taint the franchise next time.

FFS media molecule... really nice of you to forget the people that put you where you are today.

Letting the existing community die in a fire isn't the way to grow a franchise... if the people still playing online need better moderation... give it to them. Their negative word of mouth could taint the franchise next time.

FFS media molecule... really nice of you to forget the people that put you where you are today.

what? LBP games are usually backwards compatible.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Given how well their racers control despite their ridiculously arcade-y physics, I can actually see this working. If nothing else, taking the series away from Media Molecule is the only way I'd have interest in it.

LittleBigPlanet holds a special place to me. I am not sure how to feel about it. Sumo Digital might make some good games, but they aren't games I enjoy. I am very skeptical about this. I think Media Molecule made LittleBigPlanet. I hope it works. After LittleBigPlanet (Kart Racing) I have my doubts. :-(

This is one of the only games that the niece and I both enjoy. I really hope it stays that way. :) She just loves those stickers.

Given how well their racers control despite their ridiculously arcade-y physics, I can actually see this working. If nothing else, taking the series away from Media Molecule is the only way I'd have interest in it.

There have been 5 LBP games, only 2 of them were developed by MM. All of them are great BTW.

hymanator

A 3rd sequel on the same platform seems stange to me. The difference between the 1st and 2nd was a pretty big deal with all of the better create tools, but a 3rd game just seems completely unnecessary. If it were a PS4 title I would completely understand. That would be the "killer app" to make me interested in getting a PS4.
If it truly is a PS3 title, they must have something big in the works to make it a worthy sequel, maybe the ability to make first person mini-games and shooters. I figured that creating in all 3d planes was the appeal of LBP Karting though. I'm curious to see whats new and a little disappointed at the same time.

If that's your angle...

*LBP Karting cover*

It's a completely different genre from the rest of the LBP games.

I'd also argue there was a significant step forward when LBP went to Vita, considering what the new handheld's tech afforded the game. LBP2 was also significantly better than the first game.

that's not my "angle" because i said four, not five; four leaves out Karting and only includes the platformers. not sure how a spin-off counts as an installment in the main franchise, either.

significantly better =/= significantly different

PaulloDEC

Crossing my fingers for LBPK2. I thought the first one had a lot of promise, and if United Front had brought back the chargeable shield from Modnation Racers and tweaked the driving to feel a bit less heavy/sluggish I think it would've been a fantastic game, rather than just a good one.

Zen

Banned
Yeah, it completely breaks the game. It's a shame reviews didn't highlight that but it's hard to test it before the game is released. It ruined the game for me.

I can't even play my downloaded levels. It doesn't stop me from booting it up from time to time but I'm not using it anywhere near what I would be if the online actually worked decently.

Ravage

A 3rd sequel on the same platform seems stange to me. The difference between the 1st and 2nd was a pretty big deal with all of the better create tools, but a 3rd game just seems completely unnecessary. If it were a PS4 title I would completely understand. That would be the "killer app" to make me interested in getting a PS4.
If it truly is a PS3 title, they must have something big in the works to make it a worthy sequel, maybe the ability to make first person mini-games and shooters. I figured that creating in all 3d planes was the appeal of LBP Karting though. I'm curious to see whats new and a little disappointed at the same time.

Yea i like the second game but i'm struggling to see the point of a 3rd PS3 entry. Why not just spend the money on promoting Puppeteer?

wouwie

I've got mixed feelings about this. For me, the series peeked with Little Big Planet 2, which was a fantastic game. The Vita game was not bad but never had the same magic as LBP2. I had no interest in LBP Karting.

In a way, it would definately be interesting to see LBP3 from a new developer. But only if it radically changes things up this time. They should try to make this into a platformer with faster, less floaty controls. It's not something i mind but i have the impression that it would generate a lot more interest without the floaty heavily physics based controls.

Also, i feel that Sony is overestimating the popularity of the franchise and is milking this one out and very fast too.

But in the end, if LBP3 is exciting and offering something different, i'd definately be interested again in this franchise.

Just got LBP Vita yesterday, and had me thinking about this rumour. Having played Allstars Transformed too, these guys definitely have talent, even if it's up in the air how they'll do with a platformer.

Anyway, tlaknig about the potential of a LBP3 last night with my girlfriend, and for me, I would love the enxt evolution of the series to be based on creating your own 3d worlds. Having saw that move thing they showed at the ps4 presser, and the crazy popularity of Minecraft, imagine being able to make your own mario 64-esque worlds, with a LBP aesthetic (thinking Banjo nuts and bolts partially, when I think of LBP in 3d). Maybe not LBP3, but for ps4, I would love that so much. Sure it'd be complex, but making the 2d levels are hardly simply either, and it could be a great showcase for ps4, sharing your progress and methodology of making your levels, friends watching etc.

I guess I slept on the thought ha, and got excited by that prospect.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Found this today on someone's resume:
2YrOBWR.png

Cardon

Poor LittleBigPlanet.

Sumo Digital is not the best development house in the country, by any means.

They may not have the immediate top-tier quality MediaMolecule has established for themselves, but Sumo is a solid firm based on their work doing the Sega kart racing games.

If LBP3 was in the hands of Supermassive Games then I would be worried and likely bail out on the franchise entirely.

They may not have the immediate top-tier quality MediaMolecule has established for themselves, but Sumo is a solid firm based on their work doing the Sega kart racing games.

If LBP3 was in the hands of Supermassive Games then I would be worried and likely bail out on the franchise entirely.

Sumo has been around for years, and hasn't made a decent original title.... Ever? As far as I know.

Supermassive has only been on the scene, at the most, from the start of the PS3 generation, and even then I think it was afterwards.

And they are already working on new IP.

Top Bottom