• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It takes forever to load levels now, for one reason. Took 3+ minutes to load a level on my moon.

Don't necessarily think it was the latest patch either because that was a while ago but I have no idea.

_woLf

I can't believe I'd ever say I regret buying a LBP game. Even my girlfriend who loves the series just isn't feeling this one. :(

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Here's a video of me playing around on my biggest (and sadly, unlikely to ever be finished) LBP2 project. I touch on most everything that functions in my level, but it might be a lot to try and comprehend. I might provide a more detailed commentary later (especially once I can poke around in create mode again), but for now, I'll just explain a few things.

I'm not a pixel artist. :D Also, most of the stuff in the level is made out of hologram material because I started making this before sticker panel was a thing, and changing all of the animations would have been a very tedious effort, so I resolved to simply make all the new ones out of sticker panel (which you can see later in the video with the bed animations.)

that uh... horned figure that I briefly change to at around 10 seconds in and later on in the video is supposed to be the main character. It's probably really difficult for anyone who isn't me to make out what that's supposed to be, but here are two better depictions. Here's the drawing that I based the model off of (you can see the head portion of this drawing in the video, in the upper left corner when I open the menu), way back in early 2012. And here's a more recent, digital design. The rest of the sprite sets were for testing. The arrows that you see just before I enter the bathroom were the initial animations I used to test my animation system. The turquoise guy is what I use as an animation base, for modelling all of the other characters (there weren't many before I gave up on this, sadly).

The bright green dot that I play with for a bit in the middle of the video was supposed to be a commentary node. Earlier this year, I came back to this level and, not wanting two years of effort to go to waste, planned on writing out a bunch of commentary on each of my level's features, how I put it together, what I wanted it to eventually become, what went wrong, etc. And then I was going to release it to the community. The node works as it's supposed to, I just never got around to actually writing the commentary. At first I was waiting to get a wireless keyboard for my PS3, but then I got that and... well, I'm doing this instead.

The rest should be mostly self explanatory.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is there a list of, like, "greatest hits" from over the years? I really enjoyed the adventure game style little stories people made back in the LBP1 days.

Lrrr

First month:
LittleBigPlanet - 215,000
LittleBigPlanet 2 - 353,000
LittleBigPlanet 3 - ~133,000 (~34K PS3 + ~99k PS4)

This is not good for LBP3. Sure, it released in a crowded month and Sony didn't do a great job marketing it, but still, that's a big drop. The fact that LBP2 sold more on one console than LBP3 has on two should be worrisome.

As it is, my favorite LBP remains the original. It had gorgeous graphics and a simple premise. Since then, I feel that LBP2/3 have tried too hard to tell a whimsical story and it comes off more annoying and takes too long to get the level going. I'm not particularly enjoying the hub world either.

Poona

They should have let you play as Toggle, Swoop and Oddsock pretty much whenever as soon as you unlock them and not just limit them to 1 or so levels (or custom made ones by the community).

That and the fact they're not allowing trophies for all logged in players on the one PS4 (you know couch multiplayer). is pretty much preventing me from picking this up.

I guess I could overlook the not being able to play as other characters whenever if they fixed the trophy issue though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The problem with that is that Oddsock is made irrelevant by Swoop when it comes to level design, as we found out doing the 4x level. Unless you have sections that require speed, in which case, all the other characters besides Oddsock become irrelevant.

The character design prevents those kinds of levels, and my assumption is they found that out late in development, and the game was already being rushed out the door.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The problem with that is that Oddsock is made irrelevant by Swoop when it comes to level design, as we found out doing the 4x level. Unless you have sections that require speed, in which case, all the other characters besides Oddsock become irrelevant.

The character design prevents those kinds of levels, and my assumption is they found that out late in development, and the game was already being rushed out the door.

I haven't got a clue what you're on about.

Creaking

I haven't got a clue what you're on about.

Me, Enzo, and Bananafactory did the x4 story level together, the one that requires all characters. Although Oddsock was one of those characters, Oddsock's skills are never required to help the other characters progress. Indeed, all of Oddsock's obstacles could be overcome just as easily by Swoop. The same could not be said of Sackboy's obstacles (requiring the pumpinator) or Toggle's (requiring a tiny body or lots of weight).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Jumped the gun on reading the post above, but I mean when it comes to designing levels that use all 4 characters, which was sort of teased in promotion, it just doesn't work in the game proper.

That level was only designed to enable them to demo all of the characters.

So I tried playing this last night and it was buggy as shit.

I had two friends over so I started off in the pod and had them sign in with their accounts, but it said we didn't have online options since everyone wasn't signed in. Perhaps they needed to re-sign into PSN, but I don't see why since I was the first player who started the session and I was signed in.

Anyway, we chose a level that I hadn't beat yet and it started loading. And continued loading.

After two minutes I quit out of the application and signed everyone back out so it was just me.

I opened the game again, went straight to the level. Loading. Loading.

Quit.

It sucked, because I really wanted to play couch multiplayer, but the damn level wouldn't load.

This, combined with the Pop-it lag (and the 500mb save file, what the fuck is up with that) has made this a pretty disappointing experience overall.

I've been playing for two days now.... the amount of the great ideas are unbelievable, having an amazing time with the game so far.

The ideas in this game are really something, just keep amaze me.

Love it <3

Makes me smile :)

Here's a video of me playing around on my biggest (and sadly, unlikely to ever be finished) LBP2 project. I touch on most everything that functions in my level, but it might be a lot to try and comprehend. I might provide a more detailed commentary later (especially once I can poke around in create mode again), but for now, I'll just explain a few things.

I'm not a pixel artist. :D Also, most of the stuff in the level is made out of hologram material because I started making this before sticker panel was a thing, and changing all of the animations would have been a very tedious effort, so I resolved to simply make all the new ones out of sticker panel (which you can see later in the video with the bed animations.)

that uh... horned figure that I briefly change to at around 10 seconds in and later on in the video is supposed to be the main character. It's probably really difficult for anyone who isn't me to make out what that's supposed to be, but here are two better depictions. Here's the drawing that I based the model off of (you can see the head portion of this drawing in the video, in the upper left corner when I open the menu), way back in early 2012. And here's a more recent, digital design. The rest of the sprite sets were for testing. The arrows that you see just before I enter the bathroom were the initial animations I used to test my animation system. The turquoise guy is what I use as an animation base, for modelling all of the other characters (there weren't many before I gave up on this, sadly).

The bright green dot that I play with for a bit in the middle of the video was supposed to be a commentary node. Earlier this year, I came back to this level and, not wanting two years of effort to go to waste, planned on writing out a bunch of commentary on each of my level's features, how I put it together, what I wanted it to eventually become, what went wrong, etc. And then I was going to release it to the community. The node works as it's supposed to, I just never got around to actually writing the commentary. At first I was waiting to get a wireless keyboard for my PS3, but then I got that and... well, I'm doing this instead.

The rest should be mostly self explanatory.

Amazing

So I tried playing this last night and it was buggy as shit.

I had two friends over so I started off in the pod and had them sign in with their accounts, but it said we didn't have online options since everyone wasn't signed in. Perhaps they needed to re-sign into PSN, but I don't see why since I was the first player who started the session and I was signed in.

Anyway, we chose a level that I hadn't beat yet and it started loading. And continued loading.

After two minutes I quit out of the application and signed everyone back out so it was just me.

I opened the game again, went straight to the level. Loading. Loading.

Quit.

It sucked, because I really wanted to play couch multiplayer, but the damn level wouldn't load.

This, combined with the Pop-it lag (and the 500mb save file, what the fuck is up with that) has made this a pretty disappointing experience overall.

Yup, Thats what zi have too, infinite loading almost all the time. Only way is to put the PS4 offline... Yeey. Takes 90% out of the fun. This game is a big disspointment for me too. The story levels seems really good. But it takes all the fun out when you're all alone.

Is "Soon" before Xmas?

Because this is an ideal present for someone but im not going to buy it if its still buggy, no offense.
None taken, believe me. So we're looking to get 1.04 out before Christmas and should give you more info on what it entails by next week, which is a lot. In regards to the DLC, we are still working out the issues with the different PSN stores and should be sorted out by the 16th.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
None taken, believe me. So we're looking to get 1.04 out before Christmas and should give you more info on what it entails by next week, which is a lot. In regards to the DLC, we are still working out the issues with the different PSN stores and should be sorted out by the 16th.

Does that just mean availability or the pricing problem too? I bought every level pack except MGS, History and Monster pack. I still think I should get those for free too because I owned them through the game of the year edition, and it actually says 'purchased' when I check the store. If it recognises that I already have the packs then surely it should also allow me to download the pack. It feels a little 'mean' to me.

Wil348

Hey Donkey Show, my friends and I are getting the game for Christmas, and we were wondering, will the online issues be addressed by then? Since a huge part of LBP is playing together, it would be kind of disappointing if we couldn't (with all due respect).

Does that just mean availability or the pricing problem too? I bought every level pack except MGS, History and Monster pack. I still think I should get those for free too because I owned them through the game of the year edition, and it actually says 'purchased' when I check the store. If it recognises that I already have the packs then surely it should also allow me to download the pack. It feels a little 'mean' to me.
That's interesting. I can try to find out exactly what the deal is with your particular instance.
Hey Donkey Show, my friends and I are getting the game for Christmas, and we were wondering, will the online issues be addressed by then? Since a huge part of LBP is playing together, it would be kind of disappointing if we couldn't (with all due respect).
That's the goal, but like I said we'll be giving out more info next week.

Is it just me or is there some sort of judder at times?? I notice usually some levels there's this sort of skip to put it in words when playing. It kind of throws me off sometimes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not a fan of x3 or x4 sections on levels. Just feels wrong to leave prize bubbles behind but arranging more than 2 players is a pain - especially when you're replaying LBP2 to unlock items :p It is especially annoying when the level description says eg 83% but doesn't tell you that actually you've collected all the 1x bubbles, so those others are locked behind multiplayer.

Would be nice to have a way to buy the items we missed, provided we were close originally - like with football stickers in the olden days, if you were missing a few you could write off and buy them individually.

Something like an 'unlock 10% of items in all levels', so as long as I'm at 90% or above it'll unlock everything

Creaking

American-Psycho-Thanks.gif

not a fan of x3 or x4 sections on levels. Just feels wrong to leave prize bubbles behind but arranging more than 2 players is a pain - especially when you're replaying LBP2 to unlock items :p It is especially annoying when the level description says eg 83% but doesn't tell you that actually you've collected all the 1x bubbles, so those others are locked behind multiplayer.

It is a big pain. Fortunately LBP3 itself only has that one x4 level, and everything else is x2, but some of the old DLCs have x4, and it's nearly impossible to find randoms playing those.

Fortunately, my pal is coming down on Thursday, and he and I each have two controllers, so it'll be good times. If anyone wants to get those done before then, I need to complete the x4 bit in the Pirates of the Carribean level kit, and in the Marvel level kit. I can provide two players.

Creaking

Oh yeah, Steven Isbell said that if all goes according to plan, the next patch should be out by the end of the week.

doofy102

They need to bring back Cool levels. Team Picks doesn't update regularly enough to make up for Cool Level's absence, nor do the levels on Team Picks normally have anything to them other than prettiness. It puts me to sleep. Cool levels - at its best point - reliably gave us strange, not great looking but fun levels. The original "Fallout When the Bombs Fell" level was an example of something more fun and replayable than most of the levels on Team Picks, but it was still too janky and ugly to go on there. Then Cool levels grew to what it is in LBP2, which was a LBP-based meme churning factory, but it still at least had a feeling of actual community, interaction and progression behind it which gave LBP the feeling of having an organic community in-game and not over on some isolated LBP fansite.

The only reason I can see for shooting down Cool Levels was that Sumo didn't want people feeling jealous over the fact that childrens' crappy levels were getting way more plays than theirs. Or maybe Sumo, which is staffing several "top creators" from LBP1 and 2, just didn't see the value in what was available in cool levels. But Sumo, the issue is that if you're releasing this game for children, you have to accept that the children will take over - have taken over - and if you have integrity in your product, you have to let them take over. LBP was, maybe unfortunately for you, destined to have the 4-chan-meme esq cesspool that was the eventual Cool Levels. Nothing more should have been expected. Arguably, this outcome is ultimately what LBP deserves.

It's no accident that LBP actually began to weirdly mirror the real world's pop culture spectrum when you gave it enough freedom - the crap entertaining masses, the best levels always struggling, etc. But that's because the sharing was set-up so it was real.

Now all we have for direct sharing is 'New Levels,' and I don't see anybody going on "New Levels", (it lacks any of the appeal Cool levels had) so pretty much nobody is getting plays and tons of worthy and childish levels are probably sinking into the abyss without even a temporary spotlight which cool levels used to give them because it actually had an audience on it. It did seem to get harder and harder to put your new level anywhere on cool levels as time went on, though, which sucked. How it was originally way back in LBP1 seemed fairest. You had a good 20-30 minutes to earn enough hearts and likes to keep it on there.

Why didn't you just tweak Cool levels, Sumo? The way that it is now, the "sharing" aspect of the game is practically dead and deprived of all the fun, no hope in any level unless it's something you yourself decide to share. If the goal is to have an organic community in LBP, you should be interfering as little as possible with it, and "Team Picks" as the sole source of new famous levels is a great level of interference.

^ Not yet.

It's December 17th. Have the DLC issues been sorted out yet?

Regarding the still missing DLC, from our community coordinator StevenI today.

I've sent an update to the US PlayStation Store team on items that have been reported as still being an issue in the US regions.

We're nearly there though and hopefully we can wrap up this issue in the US regions soon.

We're also liaising with the European and Japanese PS Store teams for an update regarding LittleBigPlanet DLC in those regions too.

Sir TapTap

Just found this cheap on gamedealdaily. Anyone vouch for the site and know if codes work on UK accounts or if they're region specific?

Codes have regions, though you can make a US/etc account on PS4 without much fuss to claim it on. No idea how legit the site is or what region they would most likely be (should be listed on the site I would hope)

The Lamp

Are these things getting fixed anytime soon?

1) I reported this back at launch and the bug is still there and it's still annoying. When I try to play the very last level, Toggle disappears when he switches to mini-Toggle. This is very annoying. I have trouble acing the level because I can't see where I am as mini-Toggle. Sometimes if I die, and Toggle respawns, it bugs to where mini-Toggle is Sackboy.

2) I placed a bunch of Sackbots in create mode in a mostly empty level. Probably about 10. Then the game crashed and threw me back to the PS4 menu.

3) I can't play online with guests on my PS4? That really sucks because we used to be able to on the PS3.

4) why can't my guest access all the costume pieces of my account at least? They have way less to choose from when customizing their Sackperson.

Considering all the dumb bugs and changes on the PS4 version, I really regret not getting the PS3 version.

Is there any way to prevent Oddsock sackbots from wall sliding? I'm still creating with the top down 3d perspective and it's progressing nicely so far, but I can't find a way to stop my character from sticking to vertical walls.

So far I've tried changing the sackbot ai to prevent jumping, but it doesn't make a difference to wall sliding. Changing the material friction to 0% does help with horizontal walls and stops any sticking to them, but vertical walls will always activate Oddsock's wall jumping/sliding ability despite whatever I've tried.

tch

Patch 1.04 is out, for what it's worth. Can't seem to find the change log anywhere

Og, maybe use a force chip with a very tiny radius or a mover on the sackbot set to the opposite direction when you contact the wall? Just throwing some stuff out there, I can't test anything right now. I'm not sure if these will actually detach oddsock.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
Should I get this or Driveclub? I know they are totally different games but I just want one right now. Some of the comments in this thread are kinda turning me off to LBP3.

Top Bottom