• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'd like to think this thread should explode after Christmas.

I like to think things too, sometimes.

the_thinker_auguste_rodin1-copy.png

Copy them to a USB drive. Or, if you want to be really simple about it, take a screenshot, import it as a sticker, and then upload the sticker to your lbp.me account. I don't know how the compression is on that though.
Ah, that's simple enough. For some reason I thought usb wouldn't work due to the PS4's lack of a proper file system interface. And yeah, I'm certain that lbp.me would add a lot of compression.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So what are the limitations if you don't have PS+? Can't play with others online?
Yeah, just no joining parties with other people and thus playing co-op with them. I think PS+ is pretty strict in that regard, whereas XBL generally associates any internet connectivity features as being under the premium (although that is slowly changing).

curb

Banned
Yeah, just no joining parties with other people and thus playing co-op with them. I think PS+ is pretty strict in that regard, whereas XBL generally associates any internet connectivity features as being under the premium (although that is slowly changing).

Cool cool. Thanks. My sister got my brother-in-law the Batman / LBP bundle for Christmas and I think it'll be up to explain what's in and out of plus for his games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So the NA store updated, and... nothing changed for LBP3. No fixed add-ons this week. Yaaaay...

cat-joy-bursting.jpg
Yeah, this is getting increasingly discouraging, especially considering it's Christmas in a few days. Add-on compatibility is one thing, but bugfixes are another.

Well, I've done all I can to make Oddsock look like Spyro. It's far from perfect, but the character almost looks the part now:

littlebigplanet3gb_20subq2.jpg

littlebigplanet3gb_2037ymx.jpg

Trying to put down sticker precisely is completely trial and error; I presume parts of the character's 3d mesh connect in ways which aren't visually apparent. You can see that one of the toes is purple, although that was the best I could do after half an hour of trying. Adding any more stickers to some parts puts it over the memory limit and removes all the other stickers.

Also, it's unfortunate I can't place stickers on decorations. The bit in the centre of Spyro's head should be yellow, and the wings are slightly the wrong colour.

I'd really love some official Spyro DLC costumes at some point; it makes so much sense to use him as an Oddsock costume. I wonder if Activision would even be willing now? I know I'd pay for it...

Anyway, here's a sneak peek of Spyro in the top down view:

littlebigplanet3gb_20a6l4i.jpg

I've even got fire working now!

littlebigplanet3gb_2071lzz.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Holy shit OG, that looks fucking awesome.

This could potentially lead to a really faithful recreation/interpretation. Look forward to where you go with this.

Creaking

Do costume packs ever go on sale or what

Never. At least, not that I've noticed, and I've been following the series since the first.

However, if you're in the US, give this code a shot: PK9A-F5N3-M98R

It gave 10 free (predetermined) costumes about a month back, but I don't know if it still works.

Never. At least, not that I've noticed, and I've been following the series since the first.

However, if you're in the US, give this code a shot: PK9A-F5N3-M98R

It gave 10 free (predetermined) costumes about a month back, but I don't know if it still works.
Ah that's a shame, at the very least they should all be $1. And yeah that code worked, thanks!

Creaking

Ah that's a shame, at the very least they should all be $1. And yeah that code worked, thanks!

Well, about half of it is based on licensed materials, and licensed stuff costs extra for them to produce, so it has to be more expensive to turn a profit (and from what I understand, a lot of LBPs profits come from DLC sales). The unlicensed DLC costumes are always half the price of the licensed stuff, so those costumes individually are only $1 each, and even less when bought in packs (which often come with extras anyway).

In any case, don't feel as though you have to buy everything. Just look for what you really want, set aside some cash, and get it.

And you're welcome! I still wonder why on earth that code exists, but I'm not complaining.

I actually payed £50 for it... I have no regrets! (although I probably won't preorder at full price again until the new Mirror's Edge comes out)

Well, I've done all I can to make Oddsock look like Spyro. It's far from perfect, but the character almost looks the part now:

littlebigplanet3gb_20subq2.jpg

littlebigplanet3gb_2037ymx.jpg

Trying to put down sticker precisely is completely trial and error; I presume parts of the character's 3d mesh connect in ways which aren't visually apparent. You can see that one of the toes is purple, although that was the best I could do after half an hour of trying. Adding any more stickers to some parts puts it over the memory limit and removes all the other stickers.

Also, it's unfortunate I can't place stickers on decorations. The bit in the centre of Spyro's head should be yellow, and the wings are slightly the wrong colour.

I'd really love some official Spyro DLC costumes at some point; it makes so much sense to use him as an Oddsock costume. I wonder if Activision would even be willing now? I know I'd pay for it...

Anyway, here's a sneak peek of Spyro in the top down view:

littlebigplanet3gb_20a6l4i.jpg

I've even got fire working now!

littlebigplanet3gb_2071lzz.jpg

Looking good dude!

Yeah, this is getting increasingly discouraging, especially considering it's Christmas in a few days. Add-on compatibility is one thing, but bugfixes are another.

Patch 1.04 was our pre-Christmas patch. From our community manager:

StevenI said:
@Sackinima @UltimaXIV Even I'm impressed that we managed to put a new patch together in less than two weeks to get it out before Christmas.

Still work to do obviously and it is happening. Again, feel free to send me a PM of any issues you're having as it makes it easier to coalesce the info and send it off to our team to check it out.

Nev

Banned
My impressions after 15~ hours.

The good:

- The jumps are much, much improved. I mean, the 30fps and the "real life" physics are still there so it feels too floaty and slow when falling down and such, but the jump itself is so much better.
- Oddsock and Toggle play great (Oddsock feels a bit "loose" if that makes any sense but nothing too annoying), Swoop feels too floaty and heavy at the same time, it's by far the worst.

The bad:

- The loading times are A-T-R-O-C-I-O-U-S. I'm not exaggerating when I say this is the game with the worst and most disturbing loading times I've ever played on the PS3. It's simply unbelievable how they shipped the game with such awful loading times, especially considering in previous LBP games they've always been totally reasonable and never annoying. I mean, 15 seconds to repeat a level? Jesus Christ. I seriously stopped playing a few times the story mode because I spent more time in loading screens than playing; trying to ace levels, I had to wait a lot to restart and it just wasn't worth it. Really, my sister who always plays with me couldn't bear these awful load times and gave up.

- The story is insultingly short. 3 worlds? Really? When all of the previous games have had at least 5 this (among tons of other stuff) is a clear sign of a rushed game. The hub world approach would've made sense if they had gone 3D, which is what they should've done (more on this later), but in 2D it was only good to slow the pace and try to artificially lenghten the story mode. Maybe if the load times weren't so terrible, it wouldn't have been so bad, but as it is, I would've preferred the classic mode. Oh, and they should've made LBP1/2 story levels playable. If not everyone, at least some of them to make up for the short story. It would've been great to play them with non-godawful jumping. Some of the fun side levels at the very least.

- Speaking of these, where the hell are the minigames? LBP2 had so many awesome minigames like basketball, the rat race, the pool, the attack of the blocks... I don't want to freaking create a goddamn car to "win" a race that consists on holding R1 down, that's not fun at all.

- The improved jumps are not available in LBP2/1 levels. While this is good to notice the striking difference, it's kind of a bummer since I planned on replaying levels from LBP2 community that were held back by the shitty jumping.

- The new characters are so underused, I mean there are like what, 2 Oddsock levels? Sigh. Luckily there are some community levels for Oddsock that are very good, even better than these from the story mode.

- They should've fully embraced the 3D capabilities shown in the Yeti level and some community level. I'd like to believe Sumo wanted to do it to some extent, but they were clearly rushed by Sony. They should release a DLC/expansion featuring an official 3D toggle for the create mode (seriously, some people are doing excessive and exhausting work to create -very well done- 3D logic that is already in the game but Sumo won't let them just make it an option so they can spend that time creating actual levels) and 3D levels in the vein of Mario 3D World (the Yeti level is kind of like this and it's pretty good).
There are community levels using 3D logic that show that the game allows these kind of levels to be created, Sumo should formalize it with their own set of levels and create options. Of course these create options should be free. The levels too considering the short story and the obnoxious amount of bugs, glitches and terrible loading times, but that's a long shot for Sony.

In short, the new jumping controls, while they aren't enough to fix the floaty feeling completely (30fps and realistic physics make that impossible), make jumping as Sackboy an actual enjoyable experience and not an absolute chore like it was in the previous games. It's a shame it's not applied to old levels since it only affects the controls and not the physics -thus making old levels perfectly playable with the new controls-, but at least it's there for LBP3 content. The game was clearly rushed and that hurt its potential a lot. They should've fully developed the 3D option with at least the hub worlds being 3D and some of the levels too along with classic 2D levels. Luckily there's still hope for this with DLC and patches, though the current support is not encouraging at all.

Oh my god yes! I've had a eureka moment tonight and killed 2 birds with 1 stone.

To give credit where it's due, I got the inspiration from this steve_big_guns level: https://lbp.me/v/qt4h0m9

What I've basically done is change my Spyro sackbot to be non-collidable and attached a follower, which is set to follow a small circle (that's invisible in play mode). I then moved roughly half of the logic from the sackbot to a microchip on the circle. This means that I'm now controlling the invisible circle and not the sackbot.

This completly solves the problem I had of my sackbot sliding on walls. It also enables me to rotate the camera without rotating the sackbot at the same time.

So far I've found no downsides to this new system and the top down 3d control is working better than I ever imagined!

I just made a level unwinnable because I found out the hard way that shooting enemy glass balls with the Blinkinator doesn't actually kill them, it only removes the method of destroying them and the enemy was far too large to bypass. :/

I'm loving the poppit puzzle levels though!

hew9753

Quick question before I redeem some codes for costume packs - will any dlc I download with my main account be accessible in-game to other users on my console?

Creaking

So the oddsock challenge level with the pads, how the hell am I supposed to go that fast

The key is to never stop moving. There's a distinct path to follow for each one, all of which lead pretty smoothly into the next.

Quick question before I redeem some codes for costume packs - will any dlc I download with my main account be accessible in-game to other users on my console?

Yep.

So I've got to the point of unlocking the bird and so far I've barely used the new characters. What gives?

The fact I've only been playing a few hours and yet I feel near the end is disappointing. Moreso because I expected to play as them a lot...

HMD

Thermo experts I need your help, I'm attempting this 100 themes level, where every small section/puzzle has its own theme/music/materials, anyway as you may already know too many different materials can make the thermo fill up way too soon, so I'm thinking of switching my excessive material usage to stickers, I'll use 3-4 materials with a TON of stickers, but before I start I wanted to know for sure if stickers are indeed easier on the thermo, thoughts?

Sorry, this is surely getting old to you regulars to the thread:

Are the DLC problems still widespread? I decided last month that I was gonna give the game a rest until winter break from school so all the kinks could get worked out, but I still can't access any of the costume packs I've purchased. That includes one I bought through the LBP3 in-game store.

Am I gonna have to somehow enjoy the story mode without playing as Zangief? D=

Creaking

So I've got to the point of unlocking the bird and so far I've barely used the new characters. What gives?

The fact I've only been playing a few hours and yet I feel near the end is disappointing. Moreso because I expected to play as them a lot...

Story mode is a little shorter than usual this time around, all though the levels are designed quite well. Don't forget that there are plenty of community levels out there that utilize the characters. Good ones too.

Thermo experts I need your help, I'm attempting this 100 themes level, where every small section/puzzle has its own theme/music/materials, anyway as you may already know too many different materials can make the thermo fill up way too soon, so I'm thinking of switching my excessive material usage to stickers, I'll use 3-4 materials with a TON of stickers, but before I start I wanted to know for sure if stickers are indeed easier on the thermo, thoughts?

Yeah, stickers should be easier on the thermometer, since they aren't 3D models like materials and decorations.

If your level isn't too complicated with logic, or if you think you can sort it out anyways, you might try using the Dynamic Thermometer (I believe it's enabled in the global settings. Might be listed as infinite levels or something). It's supposed to help with levels that are bustling with content.

Sorry, this is surely getting old to you regulars to the thread:

Are the DLC problems still widespread? I decided last month that I was gonna give the game a rest until winter break from school so all the kinks could get worked out, but I still can't access any of the costume packs I've purchased. That includes one I bought through the LBP3 in-game store.

Am I gonna have to somehow enjoy the story mode without playing as Zangief? D=

Everyone is having issues. Varying degrees between regions. US should have Zangief, for instance.

I was really bummed out when there weren't any fixes to DLC this week, but they're still working on it. Holidays and whatnot. What a bummer that these problems are persisting a whole month out though.

Is there a way to turn off the sound made by a score giver?

Right now I'm making the gems for Spyro. I first made a small piece of diamond material, set it to rotate, and changed it to the appropriate colour. Next I've added a tag sensor to it (to detect my sackbot in proximity) and connected it to an object destroyer and a score giver. It works great functionally as Spyro can now collect it by walking over and the right value is added to the player score. The problem is that the score bubble sound is still played.

I can connect the player sensor to a sound object, to produce a better gem sound, but this is still played at the same time as the score bubble sound. I can't find any option in the score giver tweak menu to make a difference and it also has no wire output to connect to a sound object directly.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This game a complete disaster. I do not enjoy playing it or creating with it. I'm sick to death of people defending this game and giving SUMO a free ride. I can accept the occasional glitch but when it's constant to the point of stopping you enjoying it there's something terribly wrong. Next time they make a LBP game perhaps they'll have to balls to actually be honest and admit it's just a quick port because Sony were stuck for games on the PS4 this Christmas.

This game a complete disaster. I do not enjoy playing it or creating with it. I'm sick to death of people defending this game and giving SUMO a free ride. I can accept the occasional glitch but when it's constant to the point of stopping you enjoying it there's something terribly wrong. Next time they make a LBP game perhaps they'll have to balls to actually be honest and admit it's just a quick port because Sony were stuck for games on the PS4 this Christmas.

I've been playing it today and so far haven't come across any major bugs. I know about the popit menu and the lag if you have lots of pics but besides that it's been very enjoyable. I'm not taking it too seriously. Just putting on my headset and enjoying the campaign. It's beautiful imo. Still early on though

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've been playing it today and so far haven't come across any major bugs. I know about the popit menu and the lag if you have lots of pics but besides that it's been very enjoyable. I'm not taking it too seriously. Just putting on my headset and enjoying the campaign. It's beautiful imo. Still early on though

This game has every problem in the 'problem' book. Just 30 minutes ago I decided to try and ACE the final two levels. I booted up and found PSN down (we all know why) and then proceeded to load in the game 'offline'. But even when offline it tries to connect to the internet and so three freezes and three reboots later I unplugged my internet cable to see if that would work. Sure enough it booted up with no problem and I was then able to start The Great Escape. My first attempt never went well and neither did my second (just my reflexes, not the game). So I continued. On getting to the Toggle section I couldn't change to Toggle from Oddsock and was stuck with Oddsock. Second attempt ... same, third attempt ... same, fourth attempt ... Quit. I'm absolutely bored to tears of all this messing around.

Create is broken
Online is broken
Singleplayer is broken
DLC is broken

What's left?

This game has every problem in the 'problem' book. Just 30 minutes ago I decided to try and ACE the final two levels. I booted up and found PSN down (we all know why) and then proceeded to load in the game 'offline'. But even when offline it tries to connect to the internet and so three freezes and three reboots later I unplugged my internet cable to see if that would work. Sure enough it booted up with no problem and I was then able to start The Great Escape. My first attempt never went well and neither did my second (just my reflexes, not the game). So I continued. On getting to the Toggle section I couldn't change to Toggle from Oddsock and was stuck with Oddsock. Second attempt ... same, third attempt ... same, fourth attempt ... Quit. I'm absolutely bored to tears of all this messing around.

Create is broken
Online is broken
Singleplayer is broken
DLC is broken

What's left?
If I had a dollar for every time a skyhook glitched on me I'd be able to have enough as the cost of the game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If I had a dollar for every time a skyhook glitched on me I'd be able to have enough as the cost of the game.

Jesus, yeah. I really was ready to throw my controller at the screen. And when you're climbing sideways and sackboy just decides to teleport sideways into dropping hot coals ... or spin for no apparent reason.

Difficult I can handle, but broken, frustrating and glitchy I can't. I only wanted to the stuff to create with so decided to cheat and search 'LBP3 prizes'. All you have to do then is finish the level and all the prizes are yours! Great, no? Well it would be if create worked properly ...

On a related note: Can you play Dragon Age all the way through without using the tactical camera? I need a game I can enjoy.

Top Bottom