• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet delayed over Qur'an "expressions" (shipping Oct. 27th US; Nov 3rd EU)

Got it yesterday (as I'm a pretty good customer of the shop) and they called me today to ask me to bring it back. Hopefully I'll be able to avoid that, but I don't want them to get into trouble because of this. As I'm Hungarian, I'm pretty sure that the same is happening everywhere else, we usually don't get games first :-/ So it's more of a recall than a delay, even worse for Sony.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
We learnt yesterday that there is a lyric in one of the licensed tracks which some people may find offensive, and which slipped through the usual screening processes. Obviously MM and Sony together took this very seriously. LBP should be enjoyable by all. So within 12 hours of hearing about this issue involving a lyric (in Somalian, I believe!), we prepared an automatic day 0 patch and had a new disk image ready; however a decision was made within Sony that the right thing to do for quality and support of people with no on-line was to replace existing disks. They assure us that they are doing everything in their power to get things straightened out as fast as possible, and will announce dates soon.

So MM was ready to patch and sony said no.....

http://www.mediamolecule.com/2008/10/17/and-in-other-news/

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm waiting for more official statements. Sony cannot be so stupid as to push this to anywhere CLOSE to Wrath of the Lich King.

harSon

Banned
TTP said:
What's funny is not that those lines are offending, but rather that "We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending".

Basically u cannot sing those lines.

I'd imagine there are some Christians out there that would be up in arms as well, considering the West's current negative views towards Islam and all...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kenta said:
The song is apparently a licensed track from a Muslim guy. The problem appears to be that the vast majority of Muslims take offense to words in the Quran being recited to music, they feel it's too holy for such a thing. Or something.

Indeed. Apparently those words are Quran copyright. I'd blame the copyright law.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
No copyright issues - if you read that guys' post, he's just saying that it is offensive to Muslims to have any part of the Qur'an quoted outside of a holy context. This is understandable.

Time to stop by every Wally World and Target on the way home today. I can't believe SCE is willing to go through the nightmare of repressing MILLIONS of BDs.

GreekWolf

1cesc said:
WTF Sony? Just release it with the references intact and reap the benefits of the extra publicity.
And risk a small segment of psychotic nutjobs whip themselves into a frenzy over some imaginary/perceived slight, until they take it upon themselves to follow one of these employees home, at which time we'll read about it in the news?

Don't figure that kind of publicity is worth the trouble.

TTP said:
What's funny is not that those lines are offending, but rather that "We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending".

Basically u cannot sing those lines.

Yeah I am confused, so those words ARE in the Qu'ran? And the issue is that they shouldn't be sung elsewhere. What?! To each his own, I have plenty of muslim friends, no problem with it, it just seems a bit weird.

This cannot be serious...so close to a release date to push it three weeks when you can just patch it? People need to quit getting pissy over simple stuff, the Muslims that were offended need to suck it up so that everyone else doesnt have to suffer the consequences of their babyish attitutdes. Seriously...wtf?

Salmonax

Cheez-It said:
There is a difference between finding patience an important virtue, and being a tough guy. Tough guys usually get angry and so forth. I'm just getting a jolly chuckle out of this outrage.
Where does taking pleasure at others' disappointment rank in terms of virtuousness? Clearly it's not a huge issue in the grand scheme, but for those of us who got a taste in the beta it's a pretty big temporary letdown.

I asked many of my friends online and offline and they heard the exact same thing that I heard easily when I played that part of the track. Certain Arabic hardcore gaming forums are already discussing this, so we decided to take action by emailing you before this spreads to mainstream attention.

We Muslims consider the mixing of music and words from our Holy Quran deeply offending. We hope you would remove that track from the game immediately via an online patch, and make sure that all future shipments of the game disk do not contain it.

We would also like to mention that this isn't the first time something like this happened in videogames. Nintendo's 1998 hit "Zelda: Ocarina of Time" contained a musical track with islamic phrases, but it was removed in later shipments of the game after Nintendo was contacted by Muslim organizations. Last year, Capcom's "Zack & Wiki" and Activision's "Call of Duty 4" also contained objectionable material offensive to Muslims that was spotted before the release of the final games, and both companies thankfully removed the content.

We hope you act immediately to avoid any confusion and unnecessary controversy, and we thank you for making such an amazing game.

Regards,
yasser
psn id : solid08

This is some bullshit.

I'm reminded of a recent Simpson's episode where Bart and Lisa convince Homer (after he swears on TV) that there is a constituency of religious folks who do nothing but watch TV all day looking for things that offend them, so they can then write in to complain.

*camera zooms to Flanders' house where he's pouring over tapes of the previous week's broadcasts*

Cartman86

Banned
harSon said:
I'd imagine there are some Christians out there that would be up in arms as well, considering the West's current negative views towards Islam and all...

And I would say screw them as well. And I do all the time... On a message board of course since if I did it in real life I would be linched or have my head cut off.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I suppose if they did not recall the games, it would be Danish cartoons all over again.

_41295952_protest203x300.jpg

Crisis

Banned
... D:

They had a patch ready to go on Day Zero? And a new disc image? Sony this is what you do:

You release the game, apologize for any potential offense the game might cause, release the patch online, and offer to exchange the game to anyone who was offended by the game with the new disc image.

This is also a great way to ensure that nothing that has any relation to Islam ever gets into games or anything else. Just so entirely silly :)

Oh and the game's awesome, had a grin on my face all the time I was playing. Don't like the voiceover thing though, it's a bit, errr, patronising? Possibly not the best word for this. Game and music is awesome though, and I think you can actually make pretty awesome proper platforming levels with it. I was worried about that based on people's reactions.

Dunlop

spwolf said:
additional press - game will sell like crazy...

This is not the kind of press you want to tie to you Happy cute game that is to be the future Mascot for the Playstation

I keep waiting for the just kidding post

Sony just can't catch a break

ibu

Games are a form of creative art, they are a representation of the creators imagination. Now its not as if there is hatred being spewed forth from the game.

Its a PC world overload...

This is why religion sucks balls... big time.

But hey they are changing it and a lot of people have to wait alot longer.

I respect the creators for changing it though, it was a respectful letter.

However I am an actor and playwrite and if someone said I had to change something in a performance as it was offensive to other people. I would refuse, freedom of speech is my human right. I am not justifying myself to anyone, I am contextualising an art form without need for censorship.

Look at the republicans they brand a black presidential runner a terrorist sympathizer and allsorts... they don't get stopped for shit.

But this is the world we live in. Good Lord.

I'm going to make a level where you platform in, on, and around a giant image of Mohammed.

In all seriousness though, I don't really understand why a patch wouldn't take care of this. Do they really have to destroy the discs?

Jim

AirBrian said:
FU, Sony!

100% of the people do not play online, even with games that have a heavy amount of online functionality, so not everyone would get the patch. Thus leaving the door open for complaints anyway.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kiun said:
guys, before spending mad money for "limited edition" copy of LBP, remember that it is most likely that they will patch the game anyways.

If u play offline u can still hear the song no problem.

harSon said:

Fuck them too. If something offends you, choose not to purchase it.

Baker

Banned
If I go pick up a copy today, is there any chance Sony or MM could end up being pricks and make the original versions not work with the reissue? You know, online, sharing levels, etc.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
GreekWolf said:
And risk a small segment of psychotic nutjobs whip themselves into a frenzy over some imaginary/perceived slight, until they take it upon themselves to follow one of these employees home, at which time we'll read about it in the news?

Don't figure that kind of publicity is worth the trouble.
Exactly. These are the same people who burned down buildings because of some cartoon in a newspaper. It's better to just stay out of their way and leave them to their own little world.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I am going to buy some more copies now because of this. Also microsoft will see fable 2 gains. Sony this is a bad decision. Patch or offer people without internet the ability to get disc swaps. This game is great. I am sad that the servers arent up yet. I have it and I wish all of you did to.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Some heads must roll and I want those heads on a silver plate, to hang them over my fireplace.

near

Gold Member
It shouldn't have been in the game in the first place, they brought this upon themselves. It's good that they're taking immediate action though, I'd imagine things would be worse if they decided to leave it alone.

After playing the beta, I don't really care about the delay. So, bleh. :D

Count Dookkake said:
This is Living
in fear

Sadly, very true.

They can't just patch the game because not everyone obviously will have an internet connection and be able to patch the game. That being said, if you buy LBP and don't have an internet connection........"fail" comes to mind.

Top Bottom