• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

[LIVE] 2019 election races: Kentucky, Mississippi, and Virginia. Real-time results.

Freedom Gate Co.

Imbecile LARPer
Oct 10, 2018
www.kickstarter.com
And that right there is why I will be forced to vote Democrat come 2020 even if it's someone I don't want to support like Biden. Voting 3rd party is tantamount to setting your ballot on fire. It's pointless.
So instead of voting for a candidate you agree with, you'll vote against Trump? So if David Duke ran as a democrat would you vote for David Duke if he ran against Trump?

May 22, 2018
Who cares about a "county" in PA? The important media hyped elections were yesterday. Hillary flipped 8 counties of PA in 2016 and still lost, nothing to see here.

2/3 is a win it's ok, no need to try and save face by posting irrelevant elections. ;)
Save face? Says the guy trying to convince himself that the Bevin result isn't real and predicted the Repubs would win all 3.

Keep fighting the good fight AR lol

That's one county over from me. The democrats are coming for me :messenger_dizzy:

my county is already blue
Whatcha gonna do

Whatcha gonna do

Whatcha gonna do when the Dems come for you.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Yes, they are currently being investigated.
What were the irregularities he mentioned then?

Delaware County, PA....is that really important (if you don't live there)? Local results transcend party. I live in deep red rural Kentucky and we still elect "Democrats" to local office all the time.
When it is a county that has only elected Republicans since the end of the civil war......

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016

When it is a county that has only elected Republicans since the end of the civil war......
No, it's still not a relevant county. Hillary flipped 8 countries in PA and still lost, if you don't go to the smaller cities and rural areas the dems will lose it again. She won this same very county in 2016.

As for Kentucky, Bevin submitted the request this morning and the election commission approved to start an investigation, they will probably announce the content of the letter shortly.

Reports say it involved malfunctions in 12 districts with voting machines, a couple fraud voting arrests, and a few other issues. But we won't know the full details until they announce it.

drganon

Sep 20, 2019

Doing a quick bit of research, apparently the GOP hasn't won the county since 1988 in presidential races. Guess it just took a while for the local elections to catch up.

May 22, 2018
So instead of voting for a candidate you agree with, you'll vote against Trump? So if David Duke ran as a democrat would you vote for David Duke if he ran against Trump?
Of course not. I am gonna vote for who is the best available option not just vote for whoever is opposite of Trump. Between Biden and Trump Biden is the better option so I am gonna vote for him even if he is not my preferred candidate.

appaws

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2008
Taylorsville, Ky!
Parties don't matter or represent much though in local elections at the county or town level. I live in the smallest county in Kentucky, only 11,000 people. We went for Trump by Yuuuge margins. But we have local Democratic office holders. But those "Democrats" are pro-gun NRA members, pro-life Christians, and Trump supporters just like everybody else.

The elections are almost always decided by local issues. "I'll put a stop sign on your corner." "He hired his cousin for 50k and he does nothing."

Reactions: Rran

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Parties don't matter or represent much though in local elections at the county or town level. I live in the smallest county in Kentucky, only 11,000 people. We went for Trump by Yuuuge margins. But we have local Democratic office holders. But those "Democrats" are pro-gun NRA members, pro-life Christians, and Trump supporters just like everybody else.

The elections are almost always decided by local issues. "I'll put a stop sign on your corner." "He hired his cousin for 50k and he does nothing."
Oddly I've had the opposite experience. The county I grew up in would always just vote in the Republican on the ballot, while the state slowly went more blue. I guess all places aren't the same.

Reactions: Nobody_Important

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Any actual libertarians in KY must feel really good about themselves. Nothing leads to small government better than gift wrapping the Democrat party a governor's seat. Morons.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
From the perspective of an outsider, 2020 is going to be very interesting to watch.
For sure. I think the political landscape is currently changing all over the country, and I think both Parties are as well.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
This is what a participation trophy looks like:

Fact check: Bevin was ahead by 5 points before President small penis had his "all about me" rally.
I'm laughing with you, not at you. Claiming victory for only losing by a little really is a participation trophy for a politician. If it were something along the lines of freshman team loses by 2 to varsity team, sure. But not in races for governor's seat.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I'm laughing with you, not at you. Claiming victory for only losing by a little really is a participation trophy for a politician. If it were something along the lines of freshman team loses by 2 to varsity team, sure. But not in races for governor's seat.
There is something to be said if a politician closes the margins in an area that historically votes against them, but that isn't really the case here, of course. And at the end of the day, Bevin still (likely) lost -- it doesn't matter how close he came if the governorship flipped.

Reactions: Nobody_Important

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
There is something to be said if a politician closes the margins in an area that historically votes against them, but that isn't really the case here, of course. And at the end of the day, Bevin still (likely) lost -- it doesn't matter how close he came if the governorship flipped.
Stop encouraging Beto.

johntown

Dec 27, 2010
East Coast
This does seem to bode well for the Republican party and Trump's re-election but it is too early to tell if it will make any difference. The media has always been against Trump and even when everyone said he was going to lose he still won. So yeah it could be a prediction of things to come but it might have no impact....to early to tell IMO.

Personally, I don't like Trump but like every President he has done some good for the country. Unfortunately, I will never vote Democrat due to their stance on a variety of social issues so I have little choice but would rather see Trump over any Democrat.

appaws

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2008
Taylorsville, Ky!
Any actual libertarians in KY must feel really good about themselves. Nothing leads to small government better than gift wrapping the Democrat party a governor's seat. Morons.
Actual Libertarians know the GOP is really no better than the Democrats as far as small government goes.

And with the giant majorities in the legislatures along with 6 of 7 statewide officials being Republicans, Beshear will enter office as a bit of a lame duck from day 1. He has a big catch 22 to deal with. He promised teachers and public employees that he won't allow any actual reform of the pension system, but instead will (Democrat euphemism for raising taxes) "enhance revenue" or "find funding steams." Well he can't get any taxes through the legislature, they are DOA in Frankfort. So if he backs off and even works with the GOP on some small structural changes to the pension system, he is going to be thought of as a traitor.

The other thing is, our legislature can override vetoes with just a second majority vote, not a supermajority like nearly everywhere else.

I do think he can do some stuff with his executive powers, of course. I will say that he is well regarded here. Even the GOP people generally like him. He is smart and a good lawyer. His old man was a popular governor. National observers might not understand it looking in, but Republicans without direct ties to Bevin are not really going too nuts today.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Actual Libertarians know the GOP is really no better than the Democrats as far as small government goes.
I disagree. IMO, you are conflating spending with size of government. I'll give you that they are not much better on spending (cause they're spineless by and large). But in terms of size of government, I do not see how any reasonable libertarian would perceive the Republicans as calling for more governmental agencies, regulations, etc.

Reactions: finowns

JohnnyFootball

The Last of Us may be third person, but it is hardly third person.
Jan 20, 2014
I disagree. IMO, you are conflating spending with size of government. I'll give you that they are not much better on spending (cause they're spineless by and large). But in terms of size of government, I do not see how any reasonable libertarian would perceive the Republicans as calling for more governmental agencies, regulations, etc.
"Woke" Joe Walsh disagrees

finowns

May 10, 2009
I mostly agree. I dislike the Republican Party but they don't intend to control your speech, education, health, wealth, etc, etc

JohnnyFootball

Jan 20, 2014
I mostly agree. I dislike the Republican Party but they don't intend to control your speech, education, health, wealth, etc, etc
Except when you criticize Trump.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Millions of Americans have health insurance thanks to Obama. It provided healthcare to people who otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford it.

It's not perfect but that's better than nothing.
And millions lost their health insurance, forced poor people that make just beyond the minimum to be penalized for not being able to afford insurance, made million lose their benefits or doctors inflated prices and premiums, and big Pharma collected the checks,, and increased ER bankruptcy's and delinquencys. It also added an insane amount to the debt because it was made to pay people and not generate money or save money, it's one of the reasons why Obama added over 10 trillion to the debt more than all the previous presidents combined. It's also bankrupt in all but name.

Yay?

JohnnyFootball

Jan 20, 2014
And millions lost their health insurance, forced poor people that make just beyond the minimum to be penalized for not being able to afford insurance, made million lose their benefits or doctors inflated prices and premiums, and big Pharma collected the checks,, and increased ER bankruptcy's and delinquencys. It also added an insane amount to the debt because it was made to pay people and not generate money or save money, it's one of the reasons why Obama added over 10 trillion to the debt more than all the previous presidents combined. It's also bankrupt in all but name.

Yay?
You have no place whatsoever to criticize the debt.

The GOP has completely and utterly forfeited any credibility on controlling. They don't care whatsoever and they never did.

Last edited:

Shadowstar39

Apr 25, 2018
That's one county over from me. The democrats are coming for me :messenger_dizzy:

my county is already blue
Me as well, Chester county here.. I went to vote last night and I was only number 50 at 7pm and dems were passing out flyers before you go to vote. Top that off with tons of soros money ads on Facebook. They want to make sure they get PA and the states trump won so they are advertising heavily and duping the moron TV watchers.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018

Yay?
For other western countries that have universal healthcare, the US system is pretty odd.

BUT, I don't see how anyone can argue at least giving people an option. If you want government medicaid type of shit, it's there for you. But if you have money in your wallet and are willing to pay for your coverage, than go for it.

The government should be happy some people are willing to pay their own way, instead of Uncle Sam covering it all for everyone.

I don't get it.

cheezcake

Feb 21, 2013
Let me know when a GOP president adds $10-11 trillion dollars to the debt and disables the economy to 1% average yearly growth.
The numbers for this are readily available. Obama added 8.6 trillion and Trumps current plan has him adding 9.1 trillion by the end of his second term if it happens, this isn't from some bullshit CNN source this is directly from the white house: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/budget-fy2020.pdf

Obama also had 2.1% annualized growth not 1%, still a bad number but no need to exaggerate. Trump's sitting at 2.9% so far which is average post WW2 growth on the dot iirc.

Last edited:

Sacred

Aug 22, 2018
Millions of Americans have health insurance thanks to Obama. It provided healthcare to people who otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford it.

It's not perfect but that's better than nothing.
Unaffordable deductibles and causing free trade to die is not what I call a success. The ACA not only crippled the market for clients, it also put countless solo practitioners out of work and fucked over the middle class hard.

Reactions: Shadowstar39

PkunkFury

Jun 17, 2004
USA
And millions lost their health insurance, forced poor people that make just beyond the minimum to be penalized for not being able to afford insurance, made million lose their benefits or doctors inflated prices and premiums, and big Pharma collected the checks,, and increased ER bankruptcy's and delinquencys.
This is mostly BS.

I'd ask you for a source but history tells me your opinions are built on baseless bias confirmation, not facts, so I shouldn't expect you to provide one

Most insurance plans lost when Obamacare passed were discontinued because the plans were so shitty that they didn't meet the minimum coverage standards Obamacare set. Anyone who lost such a plan was hypothetically offered a better one. Obviously on a scale of hundred's of millions, there are going to be some people the insurance companies still managed to screw, but they're a distant minority compared to the 10s of millions who benefited from the legislation. No legislation is ever going to satisfy everyone, this is reality. Obamacare has had a significant net benefit for those who need it

Concerning those losing doctors, this is your free market. You want those doctors to be able to choose which plans they do or don't support, that's on them. The government couldn't force each and every doctor to adopt each and every new plan. Once again, the evidence this effected many people is minimal, and the evidence shows a far larger number of people benefited

Concerning increased premiums and increasing ER use, these were happening despite Obamacare, and the premium hikes you are crediting to Obamacare were the last ditch hikes insurance companies slid in before Obamacare regulations would put new limits on increases. Such increases are the company's doing

It also added an insane amount to the debt because it was made to pay people and not generate money or save money,
of course it was, because it was a Republican plan, brewed by the Heritage foundation and trialed by Romney himself. But that's what happens when we have to compromise with you free-marketeers. If you're as upset about it as I am, we should get a drink at our next Sanders/Warren rally, since clearly you support the only healthcare solution proposed by any politician which would ensure everyone has care, anyone can use any doctor, and would prioritize saving rather than ensuring certain companies get paid...

it's one of the reasons why Obama added over 10 trillion to the debt more than all the previous presidents combined. It's also bankrupt in all but name.

Yay?
Obama added $8.588 trillion, and in doing so dug us out of a recession and gave healthcare to 25 million uninsured
Trump is projected to add $5.088 trillion in half the time, and we are getting what from that again?

love watching you fools pretend Obama was some horrible debt monger, particularly when the bulk of his debt was from his first four terms as he rescued the economy that the prior admin destroyed.
And heck, if you truly care this much about the debt, go for it, because Obama factually did bring a massive increase. But in that context, your lack of criticism towards Trump is astounding. Frankly I don't care that either of them has raised it, though I'd sure like to have seen more to show from Trump's debt rally

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Well If Joe Walsh is saying that it must be true. And Republicans were talking about border security before Trump, I don't remember that in the 2016 debates.
The only thing republicans were talking about before trump was their flat tax. Ted Cruz couldn’t shut the fuck up about 14.5 %.

This idea that the Trump is preventing republicans from talking about policy issues is laughable

Reactions: finowns

ilsayed

Nov 7, 2018
Me as well, Chester county here.. I went to vote last night and I was only number 50 at 7pm and dems were passing out flyers before you go to vote. Top that off with tons of soros money ads on Facebook. They want to make sure they get PA and the states trump won so they are advertising heavily and duping the moron TV watchers.
My jaw dropped reading this. They’re running ads? They’re trying to win states they lost in 2016!? This is bad. This is dangerous stuff. How can we stop this?

Shadowstar39

Apr 25, 2018
My jaw dropped reading this. They’re running ads? They’re trying to win states they lost in 2016!? This is bad. This is dangerous stuff. How can we stop this?
my whole point is it is a ton more ads than are usually displayed. I was told this by multiple family members, who goes on Facebook and traditional media. Ads for local offices at higher volume. There really should be rules on who can fund this stuff. For example beta Francis orourke, El confisctor commie comrade was given tons of soros money and people donating from California and other areas with celebrities getting funding too. People who don't live in x area shouldn't be putting money into said area politics. That goes for both sides.

Shadowstar39

Apr 25, 2018
This is mostly BS.

I'd ask you for a source but history tells me your opinions are built on baseless bias confirmation, not facts, so I shouldn't expect you to provide one

Most insurance plans lost when Obamacare passed were discontinued because the plans were so shitty that they didn't meet the minimum coverage standards Obamacare set. Anyone who lost such a plan was hypothetically offered a better one. Obviously on a scale of hundred's of millions, there are going to be some people the insurance companies still managed to screw, but they're a distant minority compared to the 10s of millions who benefited from the legislation. No legislation is ever going to satisfy everyone, this is reality. Obamacare has had a significant net benefit for those who need it

Concerning those losing doctors, this is your free market. You want those doctors to be able to choose which plans they do or don't support, that's on them. The government couldn't force each and every doctor to adopt each and every new plan. Once again, the evidence this effected many people is minimal, and the evidence shows a far larger number of people benefited

Concerning increased premiums and increasing ER use, these were happening despite Obamacare, and the premium hikes you are crediting to Obamacare were the last ditch hikes insurance companies slid in before Obamacare regulations would put new limits on increases. Such increases are the company's doing

of course it was, because it was a Republican plan, brewed by the Heritage foundation and trialed by Romney himself. But that's what happens when we have to compromise with you free-marketeers. If you're as upset about it as I am, we should get a drink at our next Sanders/Warren rally, since clearly you support the only healthcare solution proposed by any politician which would ensure everyone has care, anyone can use any doctor, and would prioritize saving rather than ensuring certain companies get paid...

Obama added $8.588 trillion, and in doing so dug us out of a recession and gave healthcare to $25 million uninsured
Trump is projected to add $5.088 trillion in half the time, and we are getting what from that again?

love watching you fools pretend Obama was some horrible debt monger, particularly when the bulk of his debt was from his first four terms as he rescued the economy that the prior admin destroyed.
And heck, if you truly care this much about the debt, go for it, because Obama factually did bring a massive increase. But in that context, your lack of criticism towards Trump is astounding. Frankly I don't care that either of them has raised it, though I'd sure like to have seen more to show from Trump's debt rally
So when I worked for a company who was bought out by Canadians years ago and couldn't afford insurance before Obama are then after it I had to get it or get fined. I apparently made too much at $35k at time. Just for myself and wife it was $500 a month with a $7k detectable. Or pay an increasing fine/tax. I hated it. It sucked not to have insurance but worse when the gov fined me for it. I couldn't afford it. I eventually switched jobs and made more money and got company Healthcare. Now I pay $230 a month for top of the line plan with only a $250 deductible. My company eats the rest of the cost. Take that away and pump up my taxes isn't going to help because my company isn't going to give me a raise for not paying for insurance anymore, if you think they will you've lost it. They won't and I will be forced to pay more taxes. When you are struggling paycheck to paycheck you want to keep as much of your check as you can. Canada and UK pay something like 50% taxes for people making under 50k a year. Screw that. Couple in your wanting to tax gasoline, tax ciggerretes to the price of heroin, tax everything and push bullshit idpol, by berating people like me, your "team" can f off. Talk all about helping the middle class but these things hurt us too. You really only help the super poor or disabled and old (which I agree with helping btw, one thing I agree with the left on) but the climate change taxes hurt those of us in the suburbs making under 50k and have to commute to work.

Don't get me wrong I am for a public option but it should be limited to people making under $60-70k and with low deductible without stopping private insurance. I also think a limited tort option preventing huge lawsuits to lower prices. There is no good reason an aspirin cost $200 or ambulance ride cost $2k to go around the block from hospitals. It's also way to expensive to have kids. The cost for all these things used to be way lower. I never hear any politician talking about actually reducing base costs

. Same with college. Not everyone needs to go, companies should pay for training on the job for most jobs and college should just be for Doctors lawyers, engineers, research etc. There is no reason to have lesbian dance theory or critical theory x class or any other divisive, dividing racist crap courses like "whiteness studies" or femisims classes. Also trim the fat from admin. Why do colleges have diversity officers (who make 300k from some colleges). These positions are not needed and pump up the price of admission.

There are ways to do social programs that take the best from the right and the left. It'd called compromise and it's why I am a centrist who leans right. (pro 1st, 2nd ammendment anti idpol, anti antifa, pro USA but believe some social safety net is necessary but only with reduced costs not to hurt workers and tax payers).

Reactions: JohnnyFootball