• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live updates: Iran launches missile attack on airbase in Iraq housing US troops

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Everyone in that plane was dead within seconds of it turning fireball.
I want to believe this, but I have a feeling that the fuselage stayed mostly intact until terrain impact. The fuel leaking out of the wings was burning, but at only 8000 ft even with cabin decompression the passengers wouldn't have passed out, and looking at the damage/debris shown so far, it wasn't so merciful.

The video shows that the plane lost control and spiraled into the ground, it didn’t just explode mid air. You can see it impact the ground in an uncontrolled manner.

Last edited:

betrayal

Feb 2, 2018
confirmed by both iran and ukraine that it was a engine failure, but the pics posted by Cybrwzrd Cybrwzrd have me second guessing. i feel bad for all the families who had someone on that plane.
Then let's hope that this is what happend.

I'm pretty sure, that this crash, no matter the cause, will be used to de-escalate the situation, so everybody involved in this won't look bad after the killing of Soleimani and the iranian air strikes. Politicians and countries can keep their face and civilians pay the price. History always repeats itself.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: autoduelist

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
More shrapnel damage.

That's the horizontal stabilizer, by the way. You can see ground impact damage on the leading edge on the left side of the image.
That can not be caused by an explosion originating at the engine. The impact vector is all wrong.

I think the source of the explosion/shrapnel must have been above and to the right of the cabin for this and the other shrapnel impacts to make any sense. No engines where these shrapnel vectors originated from.

Reactions: pramod

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
That can not be caused by an explosion originating at the engine. The impact vector is all wrong.

I think the source of the explosion/shrapnel must have been above and to the right of the cabin for this and the other shrapnel impacts to make any sense. No engines where these shrapnel vectors originated from.
That is exactly what I was thinking.

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
confirmed by both iran and ukraine that it was a engine failure, but the pics posted by Cybrwzrd Cybrwzrd have me second guessing. i feel bad for all the families who had someone on that plane.
No one will know for sure until an investigation is done. I am just commenting based on pictures, which tell a lot. I don't know if we will get an unbiased investigation of this though.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Then let's hope that this is what happend.

I'm pretty sure, that this crash, no matter the cause, will be used to de-escalate the situation, so everybody involved in this won't look bad after the killing of Soleimani and the iranian air strikes. Politicians and countries can keep their face and civilians pay the price. History always repeats itself.
Well, i mean, if this was an accident we can't lay the death on politics.

That said, the timing of this is suspect as hell and air defense makes more sense than coincedence at first glance.

If Iran is responsible, we're up over 200 deaths already - 40 crowd crush, 170 civilian plane shoot down. At this rate [4x], Trump won't need to fire a shot, just wait it out.

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I want to believe this, but I have a feeling that the fuselage stayed mostly intact until terrain impact. The fuel leaking out of the wings was burning, but at only 8000 ft even with cabin decompression the passengers wouldn't have passed out, and looking at the damage/debris shown so far, it wasn't so merciful.
That fireball. I don't think anyone inside that cabin would live many seconds. They would be cooked almost instantly.
They died not from the explosion but the heat and the fire that engulfed the entire cabin.

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
That fireball. I don't think anyone inside that cabin would live many seconds. They would be cooked almost instantly.
They died not from the explosion but the heat and the fire that engulfed the entire cabin.
It had to get into the cabin though. The fuel tanks that look to have been hit were in the wings. Aviation fuel doesn’t all catch fire at once.

If the right wing was burning, and falling apart mid air, it matches up with how the video shows the plane swing left and spiral towards the ground.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I’m surprised they haven’t reported if the pilot made a mayday call or not, yet.

Interesting when they find the black box.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gashtronomy

accel

Sep 11, 2015
Let's go down the checklist here:

-a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power: Trump's had no reservation to express continual admiration for authoritarians and dictators. His rhetoric has aligned to one ("I alone can fix it"). I don't believe it unreasonable to think that if allowed, he'd make himself into what he appears to admire so much.
I am sorry, but this is not serious.

You laid out the checklist, fine.

Then you take an item. The item reads "... a dictator having complete power". Supposedly you should show how Trump is a dictator having complete power or close to it. And what do you do? You say "I don't believe it unreasonable to think that if allowed, he'd make himself into what he appears to admire so much". This phrase of yours contains so many indirections, it is hard to count them all properly. Look -- "I (essentially) believe", "(not) unreasable (but no certainty)", "to think (no certainty again)", "that if allowed (and if not, then forget I said anything)", "he would (but maybe not)", "make himself into (something vague again, I would say a dictator, but for some reason I don't want to)" and "what he appears (but maybe I read him wrong) to admire" -- that's *7* departure points from what you are trying to show. And that's just a single phrase. And what you are trying to show comes from your own checklist, not from someone else's checklist.

I am sorry, but this is simply not serious.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I am sorry, but this is not serious.

You laid out the checklist, fine.

Then you take an item. The item reads "... a dictator having complete power". Supposedly you should show how Trump is a dictator having complete power or close to it. And what do you do? You say "I don't believe it unreasonable to think that if allowed, he'd make himself into what he appears to admire so much". This phrase of yours contains so many indirections, it is hard to count them all properly. Look -- "I (essentially) believe", "(not) unreasable (but no certainty)", "to think (no certainty again)", "that if allowed (and if not, then forget I said anything)", "he would (but maybe not)", "make himself into (something vague again, I would say a dictator, but for some reason I don't want to)" and "what he appears (but maybe I read him wrong) to admire" -- that's *7* departure points from what you are trying to show. And that's just a single phrase. And what you are trying to show comes from your own checklist, not from someone else's checklist.

I am sorry, but this is simply not serious.
But i'm pretty sure i really want him to be something like a fascist or something because orangish humanoid is possibly bad.

• LOL
Reactions: Dargor

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Was reading commentary elsewhere and someone pointed out Obama paid for these missiles that hit our base.

betrayal

Feb 2, 2018
Well, i mean, if this was an accident we can't lay the death on politics.

That said, the timing of this is suspect as hell and air defense makes more sense than coincedence at first glance.

If Iran is responsible, we're up over 200 deaths already - 40 crowd crush, 170 civilian plane shoot down. At this rate [4x], Trump won't need to fire a shot, just wait it out.
I'm not the guy who likes to make conspiracy theories, but because it can be fun sometimes i think to sabotage or shoot a plane is an easy task for some forces in this world.

The average number of commercial worldwide flights per day is about 100.000. In 2019 there were 8 fatal accidents. That means we have 8 fatal accidents for 36,500,000 flights. That's a 0.0000002% chance per flight. But we're far from done yet, because you have to have this crash in the Iran and at the exact same day the missile strikes take place. This drastically decreases the already very low 0.0000002%.

But like i said, i don't like conspiracy theories, but looking at the sheer statistical numbers, it's hard to blame any tin fold hat users.

Whatever happend, i'm sure the situation will de-escalate now and the plane crash will be one of the important reasons for this.

Last edited:

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Was reading commentary elsewhere and someone pointed out Obama paid for these missiles that hit our base.
Member Rambo 3 when he went to Afghanistan to join the Talibans and fight against the Northern Alliance and Soviet?

I member. It is fluid it is a spectrum. Sometimes you have to go to war against CIA assets. That was not the first and will not be the last time
American servicemen will be attacked by enemies that got their weapons from the US.

Last edited:

nani17

May 3, 2018
Don't worry America we irish are geared up and ready to deploy. We'll take our payment in that sweet ass moonshine you got stashed

Last edited:

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I’m surprised they haven’t reported if the pilot made a mayday call or not, yet.

Interesting when they find the black box.
Reports say there was nothing, just silence.
And considering that when the plane finally grounded, it is evident that the fuel tanks were mostly intact and full.

Any pilot would have almost immediately known this would be either a crash or a really hard landing.
But the fuel tanks were not evacuated.
I think the pilots died almost instantly, well before they could asses the situation and start emergency evacuating the fuel tanks.

Reactions: Cybrwzrd

holygeesus

Banned
Jun 1, 2014
Having now watched footage of these 'missiles' hitting their targets, it is pretty clear that it was a preordained action on already evacuated bases, to appeal to Iranians demanding a response. They looked as threatening as bottle rockets, but we are already embroiled in WW3 according to the corresponding thread on 'Era so what do I know?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: autoduelist

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
Reports say there was nothing, just silence.
And considering that when the plane finally grounded, it is evident that the fuel tanks were mostly intact and full.

Any pilot would have almost immediately known this would be either a crash or a really hard landing.
But the fuel tanks were not evacuated.
I think the pilots died almost instantly, well before they could asses the situation and start emergency evacuating the fuel tanks.
Pilots can ditch the fuel tanks? or empty them? I always wondered about that.

Last edited:

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Pilots can ditch the fuel tanks? or empty them? I always wondered about that.
On all commercial planes they absolutely can.
Well, not ditch the tanks themselves since often the wings themselves are "the tanks" but they have vaulves to emergency vacate/drop all fuel.
If you are going in for a hard landing I think it is standard procedure to emergency vacate the fuel.

You land hard but people might survive versus you land hard an 100% everyone is burnt to death.

EDIT: I was on a plane when this happened. Not fun at all. Last turn after circling for an hour before we made the final decent, runway was covered with a thick layer of foam and I think every fucking firetruck in Slovenja was lined up next to the runway.
I and my work colleague saw itr very clearly from the window. We and other passengers were rushed off the plane and to "safety from fire/explosion" like you have no idea.

Good times!

Last edited:

eot

Apr 13, 2012
Airplane cabins are pressurized at a pressure equivalent to 8000 ft yeah, so you don't pass out

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
o% chance? seems you got more intel than all of us here. tell us more.
Did you watch the video and see the impact mark photos of the shrapnel?
It is about 100% certain right now this was not an explosion that originated within the plane or the engines.
Shrapnel came from a violent explosion above and to the right of the planes airframe.

redfirm

Mar 12, 2012
Did you watch the video and see the impact mark photos of the shrapnel?
It is about 100% certain right now this was not an explosion that originated within the plane or the engines.
Shrapnel came from a violent explosion above and to the right of the planes airframe.
it could be a engine explosion which shot the shrapnel through the wings, right? it does not have to come from above.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
it could be a engine explosion which shot the shrapnel through the wings, right? it does not have to come from above.
I assume that’s a possibility myself. I don’t like to jump to conclusions. Although, the timing of it is definitely interesting.

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
What? The US shot down that Iranian airliner in the 80s, not the other way around
Well if iran didn't exist, us would never have shot that airliner down in the 80's. So it was Iran fault after all.

Sponsored comment by CNN.

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
No, unless the engines are mounted way above the wing and to the right which they are not.
Just look at the impact marks from the shrapnel and try to track all these vectors back to a single point.

All these shrapnels, from the other part of the wing, where it seemed the damage came from directly above or below the wing tip
or the damage to the horizontal stabilizer where the damage came from well to the right of the aircraft.
Look at the damage the shrapnel made and try to make all these damage vectors come together from a single point.
It is not the engine. It is an explosion shooting shrapnel from above and to the right of the airframe.

They do not converge to a single point where any of the engines are located. The converge and all focus on a single point well to the right and above of the airframe.
It is impossible for an explosion in an engine to cause these damage vectors.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Cybrwzrd and pramod

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
So much for the assassination preventing war.
My guess of how today will play out;

US killed old cunty bollocks

Iran fired two missiles at sparsely populated US installations, where no one got hurt, so as to not look like they are just going to roll over and take it, to their citizens and neighbours.

US will reply - right you've had your fun, stop acting up or you're fucked

Iran... well you started it...

And it'll be business as usual.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TheGreatYosh

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
No, unless the engines are mounted way above the wing and to the right which they are not.
Just look at the impact marks from the shrapnel and try to track all these vectors back to a single point.

All these shrapnels, from the other part of the wing, where it seemed the damage came from directly above or below the wing tip
or the damage to the horizontal stabilizer where the damage came from well to the right of the aircraft.
Look at the damage the shrapnel made and try to make all these damage vectors come together from a single point.
It is not the engine. It is an explosion shooting shrapnel from above and to the right of the airframe.

They do not converge to a single point where any of the engines are located. The converge and all focus on a single point well to the right and above of the airframe.
It is impossible for an explosion in an engine to cause these damage vectors.
Are you an aircraft accident investigator or work in aviation?

Jezbollah

Formerly 'DV27'
Jun 14, 2010
What? The US shot down that Iranian airliner in the 80s, not the other way around
I never said they did. I'm talking about the theatre in general. Should have probably made it more simple to understand.

redfirm

Mar 12, 2012
Ukraine's embassy in Iran has clarified its previous press release, which ruled out a terror or rocket attack as a cause behind Wednesday's plane crash.

A new embassy statement now says that information on the causes for the incident is "being clarified." It added that any prior statements on the causes of the crash "are not official."

"Information on the causes of the plane crash is being clarified by the commission. Any statements regarding the causes of the accident prior to the decision of said commission are not official.
An earlier statement on the embassy's website, which has since been taken down, initially ruled out a terror attack as a possible cause for the crash, adding that preliminary information suggested an engine malfunction.

Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a Facebook post earlier that the country has set up a commission to “work through all possible versions."

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Ukraine's embassy in Iran has clarified its previous press release, which ruled out a terror or rocket attack as a cause behind Wednesday's plane crash.

A new embassy statement now says that information on the causes for the incident is "being clarified." It added that any prior statements on the causes of the crash "are not official."

An earlier statement on the embassy's website, which has since been taken down, initially ruled out a terror attack as a possible cause for the crash, adding that preliminary information suggested an engine malfunction.

Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a Facebook post earlier that the country has set up a commission to “work through all possible versions."
Translation: Our American handlers got us on the phone and they aren’t happy. Find some sod in admin to blame this on. Hurry!

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Translation: Our American handlers got us on the phone and they aren’t happy. Find some sod in admin to blame this on. Hurry!
Ukraines embassy in Teheran is basically a poorly protected house in the middle of a very volatile environment with a huge risk for violence rioting and dragging their ambassador out on the street and nailing him to a tree.

They don't need the US to tell them they should keep a really really low profile right now until this blows over.

That said, they should say nothing at all until they are all back safely on Ukraine soil.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun

holygeesus

Banned
Jun 1, 2014
I know nothing about planes, beyond flying on them a lot, and am not qualified in the field of vectors, but to have a plane come down in Iran, of all places, considering the thousands of other aircraft routinely flying around the world *is* suspicious, at this time, whatever the outcome.

What lessens my suspicions somewhat is Iran were attacking in Iraq at the time, which lessens the potential for it being an accidentally targeted plane in my opinion. Where would the attacks on Al Asad have been launched from?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Ukraines embassy in Teheran is basically a poorly protected house in the middle of a very volatile environment with a huge risk for violence rioting and dragging their ambassador out on the street and nailing him to a tree.

They don't need the US to tell them they should keep a really really low profile right now until this blows over.

That said, they should say nothing at all until they are all back safely on Ukraine soil.
Why do you think the Iranian people would drag through the streets and harm the ambassador of a country who just had an airplane crash and had nationals die?

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Why do you think the Iranian people would drag through the streets and harm the ambassador of a country who just had an airplane crash and had nationals die?
Emotions are high in Iran. Almost as many people died just in a funeral stampede days ago.
If they start feeling Ukraine is blaming Iran for this, who knows what would happen.
I just know if I worked at the embassy I would take no chances and go back home to the motherland before things happen.
Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: Hayfield and accel

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Emotions are high in Iran. Almost as many people died just in a funeral stampede days ago.
If they start feeling Ukraine is blaming Iran for this, who knows what would happen.
I just know if I worked at the embassy I would take no chances and go back home to the motherland before things happen.
Better safe than sorry.
But, they initially stated that the crash was not a rocket attack or act of terrorism. The reasoning for deleting this statement would not be to appease Iran...

Of course, new Information may have come to light, too. Can’t rule that out.