• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live updates: Iran launches missile attack on airbase in Iraq housing US troops

redfirm

perm warning for wishing death - massive hypocrite
Mar 12, 2012
ERA has infiltrated this thread.
why, because some people have a different Opinion then you? so suddenly era has infiltrated this thread? you are starting to sound like the admins of era who just ban everyone for having a different opinion than them. be better! come up with counter arguments or just don't participate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zefah

Cato

China delenda est
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Yes, fairly obviously shedding airframe - just not convinced it was shot down - perhaps a mechanical issue (bird strike, or lost an engine through the rotate and climb) that overran the pilots before they could attempt an emergency landing???

I'm leaning more toward mechanical than military intervention here.
None of those causes has ever caused a modern airplane to turn into a fireball mid-flight.
(Bird strike. I don't think bird collissions is a huge danger to aircrafts at 8000ft)

Accidental military missile launches have though. Many times.

Last edited:

Azzurri

Jun 13, 2007
The Plane had to been accidentally shot down, during that barrage of Missiles

Dec 15, 2011
I would question the humanitarian faculties of anyone that would publicly endorse a "if people need to die in order to [something something] then so be it" argument.

If you think your position is improved by arguing that 'people need to die' to substantiate it, then you are wrong.

TriSuit666

Jul 2, 2018
None of those causes has ever caused a modern airplane to turn into a fireball mid-flight.

Accidental military missile launches have though. Many times.
Just looking at those photos you referenced now... muddies the situation somewhat, doesn't it?

Nov 24, 2016
I'm confused though. If the plane was shot down who do we think shot it down? Iran is refusing to release black box but it was full of Iranians.

*edit* Nvm I get it you think Iran hit it on accident.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018
These topics always go the way they go.

Being an American-dominated forum, you’ll get bombarded with the typical “hoo-ra!” dumbfuck bullshit. It’s expected.

Being an Aussie (and an exceptionally smart one), I tend to wait and see, study the evidence, look at both sides and ignore the mainstream media dogshit I am fed. You know? Being smart.

Anyway, enough about me. You’re getting dogpiled and I just wanted to let you know that I’m on your side son! Fight the good fight!

But, wishing war, tsk tsk. Not a good ideal.
Obviously I don't literally wish for a war, but people take it that way anyway.

Nothing new though, that's the internet. Lol

Reactions: Scopa

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
a cave outside of Whoville.
Maybe because all the americans ultimately support their "war on terror" and those that cry "warmongers" see the US for the terrorists they actually are.
What has brought you to this point? There has to be somewhere deep in that mind where you know how ridiculous this statement is.

Is it just the hopes that you are "rustling jimmies" or some internet shit like that? I just refuse to believe that your mind is this broken.

Reactions: SLoWMoTIoN

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
What has brought you to this point? There has to be somewhere deep in that mind where you know how ridiculous this statement is.

Is it just the hopes that you are "rustling jimmies" or some internet shit like that? I just refuse to believe that your mind is this broken.
I was just figuratively speaking of course!

• Love
  • LOL
Reactions: Dargor and Psykodad

redfirm

perm warning for wishing death - massive hypocrite
Mar 12, 2012
Obviously I don't literally wish for a war, but people take it that way anyway.

Nothing new though, that's the internet. Lol
I dont think you are being dog piled. we are all having a discussion on this topic and I think its fair for you to have a opinion, share it and hear other peoples opinion. thats what grown ups do. dont mind the people attacking you, they have no intention on having a discussion.

Reactions: Psykodad

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018

No, I honestly see it for what is.

The US is deliberately starting wars to destabilize the ME and gain control.
There is no other country in the world that is waging war like the US.

And then have the audacity to accuse any form of resistance of terrorism.

Just my perspective on the US and it's geopolitics.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind

I like you Grinchy, so let’s not start a fight, but you honestly think it’s unusual for non-Americans to have a similar opinion nowadays? (Although, I wouldn’t have used “terrorists” in my description).

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
I like you Grinchy, so let’s not start a fight, but you honestly think it’s unusual for non-Americans to have a similar opinion nowadays? (Although, I wouldn’t have used “terrorists” in my description).
Why would Australians be anti American again? Or care though? Twitter?

Exactly comrade!

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Dargor

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018

also there were a strangely high number of Canadians on that flight

Ukraine’s foreign ministry listed 176 victims, including 82 Iranians; 63 Canadians; 11 Ukrainians, including nine crew members; 10 Swedes; four Afghans; three Germans and three Britons
dual citizen iranian canadians, most likely.

Reactions: Scopa

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Why would Australians be anti American again? Or care though? Twitter?

Exactly comrade!
It doesn’t matter where you are from, if you have two brain cells to rub together you can see the U.S.A.’s “foreign policy” for what it is since 2001 (and before, let’s not kid ourselves).

Dude, don’t make me go you. There is so much stupid in this post. How is Russia waging global war like America right now? Give evidence, not bullshit.

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
It doesn’t matter where you are from, if you have two brain cells to rub together you can see the U.S.A.’s “foreign policy” for what it is since 2001 (and before, let’s not kid ourselves).
That is fair. How do you feel about the UN then?
Dude, don’t make me go you. There is so much stupid in this post. How is Russia waging global war like America right now? Give evidence, not bullshit.
Russia has had no role in Syria's civil war?

• LOL

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
That is fair. How do you feel about the UN then?
A spineless puppet of the U.S. Just like NATO. A lapdog. A cover the U.S.A. uses to achieve their goals. Next question.

Russia has had no role in Syria's civil war?
As opposed to America toppling elected governments in sovereign nations since time immemorial. Replacing them with sycophantic leaders. Destabilising the world with the left hand whilst simultaneously convincing idiots they are making the world safe with the right.

America should never have been in the Middle East. Full stop. They sacrificed the safety of ordinary citizens of the world to pursue their own selfish goals.

Why do you think China built those islands in the South China Sea? Because they know. They don’t want that noxious mess arriving on their doorstep. But, “China bad” right? No. China smart.

Russia stepped into Syria because they are intelligent enough to take advantage of America’s clusterfuck to benefit themselves. Also smart. They are also fighting the GENUINE terrorists over there, instead of funding them. An action that may actually benefit plebs like you and me in the long run.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
You choose your presidents, you live with the consequences.
We've been handed 2 warmongers to choose from every 4 years for most peoples lifetimes. People voted in droves for Obama because he promised hope and change, and he just rained holy hell fire down on an additional 4 or so countries.

Many then voted for Trump because he promised to end the endless wars, while Hillary is a known warmonger.

Trump still seems to be the only president we've had that still is at least trying to get troops out, even with people screeching when he does, and screeching when he takes out HVTs.

Last edited:

petran79

Sep 17, 2012
So a 737 just happened to have a catastrophic engine explosion over Tehran on the night Iran was launching missiles at US Military bases?

I'm a tad bit skeptical.
Probably plane wanted to leave Iran as soon as possible with the whole escalation and had not done proper maintenance.

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
A spineless puppet of the U.S. Just like NATO. A lapdog. A cover the U.S.A. uses to achieve their goals. Next question.
What does that make Australia then?

America should never have been in the Middle East. Full stop. They sacrificed the safety of ordinary citizens of the world to pursue their own selfish goals.
True at that time America was world policing under Bush Sr then Clinton. I also believe America should stay out of other countries and take care of their own. But certain billionaires will never let that happen.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Dargor and Scopa

GAMETA

Formerly 'pork_gamete'
Jun 3, 2014
The US and Europe are extremely manipulative in order to achieve their goals.

The US interests in ME is oil and there's no denying it. Iraq, Afeganistan, maybe now Iran... war on terror my ass, it's oil and control over the region.

"But terrorists" you made them terrorists ffs. Were they wrong to defend themselves? Are their wrong to hate those that killed their fathers?

Same with Europe. France recently trying to interveene in Brazil's politics and economics "due to" the Amazon fires, saying "we should seize and control it for the sake humanity". Humanity my fucking ass, they want the resources and politic and economic control.

Australia is fucking burning to the ground, it's burning 3 times the area and those frenchcucks motherfuckers won't say a thing, guess why?

Then imagine the french cucktards invade Brazil "for the sake of humanity". We're gonna defend ourselves the way they force us to, obviously, but guess what headlines will be...

Same shit the US does.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
We've been handed 2 warmongers to choose from every 4 years for most peoples lifetimes. People voted in droves for Obama because he promised hope and change, and he just rained holy hell fire down on an additional 4 or so countries.

Many then voted for Trump because he promised to end the endless wars, while Hillary is a known warmonger.

Trump still seems to be the only president we've had that still is at least trying to get troops out, even with people screeching when he does, and screeching when he takes out HVTs.
I sincerely hope he takes this opportunity to say, "Fuck y'all. It's been real, and it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. See ya."

Too many of our kids getting killed for fucking nothing. These assholes in the middle east have been fighting for hundreds of years, and they'll still be fighting in another hundred whether "The Great Satan" is there or not. They're literally like warring anthills.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
What does that make Australia then?
Don’t get me started, man. We’ve had successive spineless governments that get pulled by the nose and do America’s bidding at their whim. For decades. It infuriates me.

We have an Australian citizen right now (Julian Assange), terrorised, imprisoned and persecuted for no lawful reason and our governments have done sweet fuck all to help him.

It’s pathetic.

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018

The US interests in ME is oil and there's no denying it. Iraq, Afeganistan, maybe now Iran... war on terror my ass, it's oil and control over the region.

"But terrorists" you made them terrorists ffs. Were they wrong to defend themselves? Are their wrong to hate those that killed their fathers?

Same with Europe. France recently trying to interveene in Brazil's politics and economics "due to" the Amazon fires, saying "we should seize and control it for the sake humanity". Humanity my fucking ass, they want the resources and politic and economic control.

Australia is fucking burning to the ground, it's burning 3 times the area and those frenchcucks motherfuckers won't say a thing, guess why?

Then imagine the french cucktards invade Brazil "for the sake of humanity". We're gonna defend ourselfs the way they force us to, obviously, but guess what headlines will be...

Same shit the US does.
Spot on

trikster40

Dec 12, 2008
Sometimes mistakes are made and the low educated 18 years olds that man the AA silo makes the wrong snap judgement.
Bingo. We have a winner. My guess is that they had their AA defenses ready for a sudden retaliatory strike, Someone saw an airplane rather low to the ground, assumed it was a bomber, and lit it up.

Iran’s not giving up the black boxes for a reason.

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
Probably plane wanted to leave Iran as soon as possible with the whole escalation and had not done proper maintenance.
Plausible?

Say they refuel in a hurry, the fuel "cap" is not correctly fastened correctly, falls opens on take off when the aircraft is in a climb... fuel spills out directly into the jet-wash of the starboard engine? Does the tank have a sphincter, can't think of a better word, to stop this scenario?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind

Then imagine the french cucktards invade Brazil "for the sake of humanity". We're gonna defend ourselfs the way they force us to, obviously, but guess what headlines will be...

Same shit the US does.
Agree completely except for the “are they wrong to defend themselves”. Because in normal war, no they aren’t wrong, but targeting innocent civilians is a coward, dog act and they can burn in hell for that. This terrorist shit is the lowest of the low.

I understand their hatred for American government/military, but I don’t like the way they go about it.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Here is the speech I want from Trump. Add in trumpisms and more god stuff.

"The missile strikes were an Act of War, but no US casualties was an Act of God. Our troops our safe. Furthermore, the downing of the Ukrainian flight near Tehran, possibly by Iranian forces, is a sad reminder of the cost of war. As such, let us find peace in tragedy. We will not retaliate for these missile strikes, but Iran must understand this is a one time offer. If they fire more missiles, or otherwise attack us again, we will end them."

We get something like that, I'm happy. [I don't like 'ending them' but we also must show strength after an attack] Give me more 4d chess, or give me more banana peels with perfect backflips and perfect landings - i don't care what you call it, i want these wars ending and our troops home.

It sickens me the people here who don't even like trump seem to be the ones wanting war to prove their point Trump was an idiot, while Trump supporters are the ones appalled by war crossing their fingers Trump finds a way to turn this to peace. But it seems like that is commonplace now.

I hope we get something like that. I would love to hear why not retaliating is literally Hitler from the talking heads for awhile.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Turnt

Jul 21, 2018
No, I honestly see it for what is.

The US is deliberately starting wars to destabilize the ME and gain control.

And then have the audacity to accuse any form of resistance of terrorism.

Just my perspective on the US and it's geopolitics.
If you dislike Trump and how the US conducts its foreign affairs then I get that. And I agree with you. But for me it crosses a line when you start talking about wanting the US to be humbled. That crosses over into people dying so that partisan points can be scored.

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018

Didn't you have that Sanders guy?
Have to admit, you guys were screwed regardless, but it's still a mess you've created and the US is dragging the entire world down the rabbit hole.

Also, he may be trying to get your troops out, but at the same time he blew up a country's general and has sent 3,000 more troops to Iraq because of it.

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018
If you dislike Trump and how the US conducts its foreign affairs then I get that. And I agree with you. But for me it crosses a line when you start talking about wanting the US to be humbled. That crosses over into people dying so that partisan points can be scored.
Fair enough.
I might be a bit extreme in my way of thinking, I can admit to that.

Then again, it was figure of speech.
A new war will inevitably draw Europe into it as well.

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
and the crazy right, lets not forget about it. the more time i spend here and read stuff on era, i notice that i just hate both sides, they are both really extreme and make no sense.
i haven’t really met one crazy right person here. Neogaf is generally more politically and socially diverse than era because there are people from both sides here (none of them bring on either far side, I.e no (or very few) proud boy supporters, no Antifa supporters) whereas on era there is only one side because if you say you’re a conservative you’re called a nazi and banned.

Last edited:
Reactions: redfirm

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
ERA has infiltrated this thread.
If proxies are good enough for Iran they're good enough for Era.

As far as Iran handing the black box over to Boeing, why would they? That isn't what would happen in any western country either, is it? It goes to whatever agency is responsible for investigating civilian air crashes where it happened. I could also see a good case for providing at least a copy of the data to Ukraine.

The only reason Boeing gets the data is if it was determined mechanical failure of some sort, and that happens way down the line.

Combining two posts here, not necessarily directing black box questions at Uhtred.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
If we both agree that it's not accurate to describe the US as terrrorists, then why are you framing this as a disagreement?

His statement was purposely provocative to elicit a reaction and it's worth calling that out. We have enough of that shit already.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Fair enough.
I might be a bit extreme in my way of thinking, I can admit to that.

Then again, it was figure of speech.
A new war will inevitably draw Europe into it as well.
Drawing Europe into war will be cool, so long as some Americans are humbled along the way. /s

• LOL

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Didn't you have that Sanders guy?
Have to admit, you guys were screwed regardless, but it's still a mess you've created and the US is dragging the entire world down the rabbit hole.

Also, he may be trying to get your troops out, but at the same time he blew up a country's general and has sent 3,000 more troops to Iraq because of it.
Ah, so you're just gifting us your presence, I see. Anyway, to answer:

Warmongering Hillary literally stole the primary from Sanders. He was not in the Presidential race.

That said, Sanders and Trump ran on very similar populist platforms [wildly different economics] and attracted voters from left/right for similar reasons. A good chunk of Sanders voters went for Trump.

Killing a known terrorist organizer who was supposedly planning a huge attack is arguably the best answer to a shitty situation. We claim to have intel that the big attack was happening, and Trump claims killing him was an attempt to avoid war, not enter it. That is a possibility. Trump has seemingly been trying to get troops home, and hasn't started bombing new countries like Obama did, so I see no reason to assume him a liar... there is at least a chance he is telling the truth. Given how much the warmongering establishment hates him, i am inclined to believe he is trying to end these wars and get our troops home. For reference, i never fell for Obama.

• Thoughtful

GAMETA

Formerly 'pork_gamete'
Jun 3, 2014
Agree completely except for the “are they wrong to defend themselves”. Because in normal war, no they aren’t wrong, but targeting innocent civilians is a coward, dog act and they can burn in hell for that. This terrorist shit is the lowest of the low.

I understand their hatred for American government/military, but I don’t like the way they go about it.
I agree, but those are retaliation, the result of war. The shitstorm over the ME is old, shit wen't completely downhill after the break of the Ottoman Empire in WWI. The anti-west movement of theirs predates 9/11 by a long long shot, the difference is that it has only become personal for the general US citizen after 2001. It's been personal for them for a very long time.

It's a shitstorm, US recent position (XXI century) won't help a thing.

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018
Ah, so you're just gifting us your presence, I see. Anyway, to answer:

Warmongering Hillary literally stole the primary from Sanders. He was not in the Presidential race.

That said, Sanders and Trump ran on very similar populist platforms [wildly different economics] and attracted voters from left/right for similar reasons. A good chunk of Sanders voters went for Trump.

Killing a known terrorist organizer who was supposedly planning a huge attack is arguably the best answer to a shitty situation. We claim to have intel that the big attack was happening, and Trump claims killing him was an attempt to avoid war, not enter it. That is a possibility. Trump has seemingly been trying to get troops home, and hasn't started bombing new countries like Obama did, so I see no reason to assume him a liar... there is at least a chance he is telling the truth. Given how much the warmongering establishment hates him, i am inclined to believe he is trying to end these wars and get our troops home. For reference, i never fell for Obama.
"Supposedly"

Supposedly, there were also WMD in Iraq.

TriSuit666

Jul 2, 2018
Plausible?

Say they refuel in a hurry, the fuel "cap" is not correctly fastened correctly, falls opens on take off when the aircraft is in a climb... fuel spills out directly into the jet-wash of the starboard engine? Does the tank have a sphincter, can't think of a better word, to stop this scenario?
To coin a phrase, 'don't be silly' - there's a whole bunch of lights and doo-dads in the cockpit that would alert the captain to an open fuel cap and fuel system malfunction. The age of the plane wouldn't be a factor either. This is something that happened quickly, and overtook the speed the crew could respond.

Last edited:
Reactions: MilkyJoe

Grinchy

Aug 3, 2010
Would you prefer ‘cunts’?
If I called you a child molester, and you called me out for how ridiculous that statement was, I couldn't just change it to cunt instead. They're not interchangeable. There's a reason words have meanings.

The reactionary stupidity of just saying "The US are the real terrrorists" just doesn't do anything constructive. And you actually agree, so I don't know why you're jumping on the side of someone who is constantly and purposely making inflammatory statements like Psykodad Psykodad has been.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Dargor and Oner

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018
If I called you a child molester, and you called me out for how ridiculous that statement was, I couldn't just change it to cunt instead. They're not interchangeable. There's a reason words have meanings.

The reactionary stupidity of just saying "The US are the real terrrorists" just doesn't do anything constructive. And you actually agree, so I don't know why you're jumping on the side of someone who is constantly and purposely making inflammatory statements like Psykodad Psykodad has been.
That's how you take it, my man.

How come it's okay to call Suleimani a terrorist, but not America?
Double standards.

• LOL
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Oner and Scopa