• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live updates: Iran launches missile attack on airbase in Iraq housing US troops

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
I agree, but those are retaliation, the result of war. The shitstorm over the ME is old, shit wen't completely downhill after the break of the Ottoman Empire in WWI. The anti-west movement of theirs predates 9/11 by a long long shot, the difference is that it has only become personal for the general US citizen after 2001. It's been personal for them for a very long time.

It's a shitstorm, US recent position (XXI century) won't help a thing.
Killing innocent civilians is not “retaliation”. It is a cowardly act by inhuman bastards. It was when the U.K./U.S.A. bombed Dresden, it was when the U.S.A. nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki and it is when pathetic subhumans kill innocent civilians in the name of a made up God.

That’s not war. That’s heartless murder.

Turnt

Jul 21, 2018
Fair enough.
I might be a bit extreme in my way of thinking, I can admit to that.

Then again, it was figure of speech.
A new war will inevitably draw Europe into it as well.
I get that it’s easy to make these kinds of statements. But just keep in mind the stakes we are actually talking about. Because what “America getting humbled” actually looks like when you come down to it is families getting told their son/father/brother etc. has died.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
If I called you a child molester, and you called me out for how ridiculous that statement was, I couldn't just change it to cunt instead. They're not interchangeable. There's a reason words have meanings.

The reactionary stupidity of just saying "The US are the real terrrorists" just doesn't do anything constructive. And you actually agree, so I don't know why you're jumping on the side of someone who is constantly and purposely making inflammatory statements like Psykodad Psykodad has been.
I agree with his general sentiments, just not the use of the word “terrorists”.

The U.S.A. has done more to fuck the world up in the last 20 years than Russia and China combined.

Give it whatever name you wish.

Mar 18, 2018
Didn't you have that Sanders guy?
Have to admit, you guys were screwed regardless, but it's still a mess you've created and the US is dragging the entire world down the rabbit hole.

Also, he may be trying to get your troops out, but at the same time he blew up a country's general and has sent 3,000 more troops to Iraq because of it.
You sure do sound like you’ve not read Irans history before 1979. Or British history dealing with Iran. Or WW2 Germany’s dealings with them. Or post WW2 Russia’s dealings with them.

Where there is oil and money exchanging hands there is blame in this.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
"Warmongering capitalist USA" has every reason to go to war against Iran, not for the sake of obtaining oil but for the sake of interrupting oil. USA is the #1 net exporter of both oil and natural gas, and that trend will continue for at least a decade or two. Meanwhile, middle east continues to be the unstable middle east. Destabilizing it further by adding yet another conflict into the region would push more customers into the USA's open arms. From the perspective of greed, this is what the USA should do.

I am hoping that Trump sticks to what he campaigned on, to keep us out of wars. If/when this blows over with no more military engagements, I wonder if the passionate posters calling the USA warmongers and terrorists will give credit where credit is due. Americans are sick of war and are sick of taking care of other countries that don't want us there. We do our best to keep the region stable which ensures oil for the eastern hemisphere from our oil-competition, and we get lambasted no matter what we do. Trump has talked about this endlessly and still gets mocked for it.

We'll find out in a few hours when he makes his address. Since there were no more incidents overnight, I am guessing the Iranian attack was either woefully or intentionally ineffective like others have pointed out already.

Mar 18, 2018
I agree with his general sentiments, just not the use of the word “terrorists”.

The U.S.A. has done more to fuck the world up in the last 20 years than Russia and China combined.

Give it whatever name you wish.
Receipts please.

Don’t make a motherfucker defend our shit foreign policy out of principle of your shit statement being laughable.

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014
If I called you a child molester, and you called me out for how ridiculous that statement was, I couldn't just change it to cunt instead. They're not interchangeable. There's a reason words have meanings.

The reactionary stupidity of just saying "The US are the real terrrorists" just doesn't do anything constructive. And you actually agree, so I don't know why you're jumping on the side of someone who is constantly and purposely making inflammatory statements like Psykodad Psykodad has been.
The general consensus of the world about the US is that you are fucking assholes and that you are digging your own grave. The general consesus is that you are dishonest and liars, that you'll fuck us over the minute you get a better deal.

That's the general consensus of the world about the US. Terrorists? No. But fucking treacherous assholes that maybe deserve what they get.

I understand the difference between politics and population, but do they? And do you when you invade their countries?

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018
I get that it’s easy to make these kinds of statements. But just keep in mind the stakes we are actually talking about. Because what “America getting humbled” actually looks like when you come down to it is families getting told their son/father/brother etc. has died.
All the more reason for the West to pull out from the ME.

Just because a bunch of patriots in here assume I was speaking literally, doesn't mean I'm unaware of the consequences of an actual war.

lol, what?

"How come its okay to call the sky blue, but not the ground?"
Let's not act like the US has been innocent the past 20 years.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018
You sure do sound like you’ve not read Irans history before 1979. Or British history dealing with Iran. Or WW2 Germany’s dealings with them. Or post WW2 Russia’s dealings with them.

Where there is oil and money exchanging hands there is blame in this.
No, I haven't. But like I said, that doesn't excuse the US of anything.

I am not pro-Iran, I'm anti-US in this current situation. (for lack of better wording)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
The general consensus of the world about the US is that you are fucking assholes and that you are digging your own grave. The general consesus is that you are dishonest and liars, that you'll fuck us over the minute you get a better deal.

That's the general consensus of the world about the US. Terrorists? No. But fucking treacherous assholes that maybe deserve what they get.

I understand the difference between politics and population, but do they? And do you when you invade their countries?
I expect you will get your wish and will be able to experience a world with the isolationist USA that many pundits have demanded since shortly after the USSR fell in the late 80s.

Funny how in just 30 years the world can turn on its defenders so rapidly while also blaming them for the cleanup of their own colonialist histories stretching back 100s of years.

The contrast between a world policed by the USA and a world where the USA is an isolationist merchant-nation pushing its wares will be so stark I doubt these kinds of sentiments will be taken seriously for much longer. In the same way that we look back at children hiding under their desk for nuclear bomb drills in the 50s and 60s, we'll look back and wonder why people were so upset with USA keeping their markets and their shipping lanes safe.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
The contrast between a world policed by the USA and a world where the USA is an isolationist merchant-nation pushing its wares will be so stark I doubt these kinds of sentiments will be taken seriously for much longer. In the same way that we look back at children hiding under their desk for nuclear bomb drills in the 50s and 60s, we'll look back and wonder why people were so upset with USA keeping their markets and their shipping lanes safe.
I think it will be a world with no lawyers.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ornlu

FreedomGate

Mental Gymnastics 🥇Gold Medalist🥇
Oct 10, 2018
www.kickstarter.com
That's a cool new tag.

Killing innocent civilians is not “retaliation”. It is a cowardly act by inhuman bastards. It was when the U.K./U.S.A. bombed Dresden, it was when the U.S.A. nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki and it is when pathetic subhumans kill innocent civilians in the name of a made up God.

Everyone in Nagasaki and Hiroshima were enemy combatants and were in military and weapon zones.

So a 737 just happened to have a catastrophic engine explosion over Tehran on the night Iran was launching missiles at US Military bases?

I'm a tad bit skeptical.
It's clearly suspect but since it's a 737 they can probably get away with it.

There is no other country in the world that is waging war like the US.
Maybe in the MIddle East but you're wrong about everywhere else.

As opposed to America toppling elected governments in sovereign nations since time immemorial. Replacing them with sycophantic leaders.
Are we going to lie and pretend America is the only country that has done this? We going to ignore France, Britain, UN etc?

Here is the speech I want from Trump. Add in trumpisms and more god stuff.

"The missile strikes were an Act of War, but no US casualties was an Act of God. Our troops our safe. Furthermore, the downing of the Ukrainian flight near Tehran, possibly by Iranian forces, is a sad reminder of the cost of war. As such, let us find peace in tragedy. We will not retaliate for these missile strikes, but Iran must understand this is a one time offer. If they fire more missiles, or otherwise attack us again, we will end them."

We get something like that, I'm happy. [I don't like 'ending them' but we also must show strength after an attack] Give me more 4d chess, or give me more banana peels with perfect backflips and perfect landings - i don't care what you call it, i want these wars ending and our troops home.

It sickens me the people here who don't even like trump seem to be the ones wanting war to prove their point Trump was an idiot, while Trump supporters are the ones appalled by war crossing their fingers Trump finds a way to turn this to peace. But it seems like that is commonplace now.

I hope we get something like that. I would love to hear why not retaliating is literally Hitler from the talking heads for awhile.
Why are you hoping for something that isn't going to happen? You don't usually seem like a crazy guy so I refuse to think you're hoping for something that can't possibly exist.

The best thing is if Trump retaliates with new severe sanctions instead of Military.

I agree, but those are retaliation, the result of war. The shitstorm over the ME is old, shit wen't completely downhill after the break of the Ottoman Empire in WWI.
That areas was at war during and before the Ottomans, in fact that was one of the reasons the Ottomans fell.

redfirm

Mar 12, 2012
I expect you will get your wish and will be able to experience a world with the isolationist USA that many pundits have demanded since shortly after the USSR fell in the late 80s.

Funny how in just 30 years the world can turn on its defenders so rapidly while also blaming them for the cleanup of their own colonialist histories stretching back 100s of years.

Dont worry, europe will have its own army within now and 10 years. A army where decisions are made by multiple leaders instead of 1 person who somehow became president. Everyone is sick and tired of how unstable the government of the US is and I cant wait for a more stable and cool headed world leadership.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
it could be a engine explosion which shot the shrapnel through the wings, right? it does not have to come from above.
Not very likely. As I mentioned, the 737-800's engines are sitting about 10 feet or so ahead of the leading edge of the wing. When an engine explodes like they are alleging, the fan blades shoot straight out the sides of the engine. Hence, why they hit the leading edge of the wing, not ~5 feet further back.

Reactions: redfirm

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014

Turn on its defenders? Dude, the US waited to see which side was better to "invest in" before heading into WW2. You only make commercial deals with those countries you can benefit the most from (and it's usually unilateral benefits) and fuck the others up. You lobby the world to your interests...

You're naive as fuck, eh?

I personally like the US, man, I don't hate or wish you any bad by any means, much the contrary. Your political megalomania, tho... your country is full of shit.

• LOL
Reactions: Holgren and Scopa

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Everyone in Nagasaki and Hiroshima were enemy combatants and were in military and weapon zones.
The two bombings killed between 129,000 and 226,000 people, most of whom were civilians

What the fuck are you talking about?

Are we going to lie and pretend America is the only country that has done this? We going to ignore France, Britain, UN etc?
“I know you are, but what am I” is not an argument.

I know it is pointless engaging with anyone who tries to compare the U.S.A.’s well documented foreign interference with any other nation, but life’s short, play hard.

It’s way past my bedtime, though. So, you might have to wait for a response.

Mar 18, 2018
That's how you take it, my man.

How come it's okay to call Suleimani a terrorist, but not America?
Double standards.
Before you can jump the shark like that. How are you making the comparison in acts between Soleimani which were terrible enough to get the label while you opine that America is then also a terrorist.

Please explain your unbiased logic and material for reference that brough you to that conclusion? And then ask yourself if the country you live in has clean hands.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Dont worry, europe will have its own army within now and 10 years. A army where decisions are made by multiple leaders instead of 1 person who somehow became president. Everyone is sick and tired of how unstable the government of the US is and I cant wait for a more stable and cool headed world leadership.
Europe's pie-in-the-sky fantasy army will be turned against its own populace if it ever came to light. History is not silent on this matter.

American mercenaries have played proxy and have taken their war-chests, but let's not forget how the modern world was divided down the middle by the Europe's own baby, communism.

Turn on its defenders? Dude, the US waited to see which side was better to "invest in" before heading into WW2. You only make commercial deals with those countries you can benefit the most from (and it's usually unilateral benefits) and fuck the others up. You lobby the world to your interests...

You're naive as fuck, eh?

I personally like the US, man, I don't hate or wish you any bad by any means, much the contrary. Your political megalomania, tho... your country is full of shit.
Your grasp of history wouldn't even pass as a 30-second CNN soundbite. But hey, you already put me in my place by calling me naive so I guess I have nothing further to add 🤷‍♀️

Mar 18, 2018

So now Hiroshima and Nagasaki is an act of cowardice.

Ok.

accel

Sep 11, 2015
Lend-lease started from March 1941 and, while not defining, it was very important.

I don't think saying that US was waiting to choose sides is fair. They were just across the ocean and they were doing their bit to help - and the bit was significant. (And then they entered the war themselves and helped with their blood.)

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
It would be totally in line for Trump to come out with something like, "If that was a slap in the face you hit like a girl." Be the first time I've watched him live since last election's debates. Next line out of his mouth would be, "And nobody respects girls more than I do, except maybe Joe Biden."

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: desertdroog

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018
Before you can jump the shark like that. How are you making the comparison in acts between Soleimani which were terrible enough to get the label while you opine that America is then also a terrorist.

Please explain your unbiased logic and material for reference that brough you to that conclusion? And then ask yourself if the country you live in has clean hands.
Taking out governments over false claims and bombing civilians, for starters.
Then there are the chemical weapons that have been smuggled into Syria to supply the "rebels".
Countless things that often are dismissed as conspiracy theories and fake news.

And I'm from the Netherlands, which has been run by governments sucking US presidents' cocks, so if they get humbled I'd be lmao too. Figuratively speaking.

You know, fine if you think the US is righteous and is protecting you from the evil terrorists, but a large part of the world consider the US equal to those terrorist states.

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014
That's pretty much every single government in the world though? Or is your government any different?
Brazil is an ally but you've been fucking us over economically for a long time, you made sure to impose your way in making sure we don't have access to better deals and contracts... Brazil's economy is heavily dependent on commodities and the US kind of don't want the competition, so you fuck us up with your influence.... but Europe is the same.. all the commotion of the Amazon fires and France wanting to boycott us is exactly for the same reason...

General consensus is that we can't trust you politically and economically (and here's the important part, we're talking politics here)...

At the end of the day we are neighbors and, although it seems you're not too fond of us, at least you're not trying anything funny. We're generally supportive...

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
Killing innocent civilians is never necessary.
Yet every country on earth has done so. Japan still has a full government full of Nanking deniers you know.

Brazil is an ally but you've been fucking us over economically for a long time, you made sure to impose your way in making sure we don't have access to better deals and contracts... Brazil's economy is heavily dependent on commodities and the US kind of don't want the competition, so you fuck us up with your influence.... but Europe is the same.. all the commotion of the Amazon fires and France wanting to boycott us is exactly for the same reason...

General consensus is that we can't trust you politically and economically (and here's the important part, we're talking politics here)...

At the end of the day we are neighbors and, although it seems you're not too fond of us, at least you're not trying anything funny. We're generally supportive...
What? I merely asked you a question. You believe your country isn't corrupt and full of shit? Brazil?

Last edited:

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014
Lend-lease started from March 1941 and, while not defining, it was very important.

I don't think saying that US was waiting to choose sides is fair. They were just across the ocean and they were doing their bit to help - and the bit was significant. (And then they entered the war themselves and helped with their blood.)
Yep, making sure they'd get rich as fuck in the process :)

So noble.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Thatescalatedquickly.gif

How ‘bout those injuns, pardner?
No answer then? Guilty!

Nah, it flew over your head friend. We can go back and forth dredging up unrelated historical events as a way to avoid actually conversing, but it's hardly worthwhile. No one is innocent. No one has a perfect history. The more alarming issue is that some people still seem to believe that a person is guilty of whatever sins their country committed and I have no respect for smoothbrains like that.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Dargor

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
Yet every country on earth has done so. Japan still has a full government full of Nanking deniers you know.
Again. “I know you are, but what am I?” is not an argument.

My original post was referencing islamic terrorists killing innocent civilians. That’s a cowardly, dog act. Do you disagree?

Whether other people have done bad things is immaterial.

accel

Sep 11, 2015

So noble.
If that was about getting rich, they (a) would have been choosing which side to support (the Pact, the Allies or maybe both) and we'd have known about that, and (b) wouldn't have given tons of help for free. Plus, (c) they would certainly, absolutely, not spilled their own blood.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oct 27, 2017
your mind
No answer then? Guilty!

Nah, it flew over your head friend. We can go back and forth dredging up unrelated historical events as a way to avoid actually conversing, but it's hardly worthwhile. No one is innocent. No one has a perfect history. The more alarming issue is that some people still seem to believe that a person is guilty of whatever sins their country committed and I have no respect for smoothbrains like that.
What flew over my head? You brought up indigenous Australians and I brought up indigenous Americans.

I like you Dun, but if me telling it like it is about the U.S.A. hurts your feels, then it is what it is.

EDIT: And I really think the “smoothbrain” comment was unnecessary. As intelligent as you clearly are, it just shows how this “hoo-ra” mentality I always reference can blind people.

Last edited:

azz0r

May 24, 2005
www.fedsimulator.com
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. The USA is steam rolling into a war for no other reason that Trumps fragile ego trying to be a war president.

Its mind blowing that an impeached president can assassinate a foreign leader on third party soil.

Don't expect any nato allies to help you out on this one.

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014

What? I merely asked you a question. You believe your country isn't corrupt and full of shit? Brazil?
Brazil's absolutely and completely full of shit.

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
My original post was referencing islamic terrorists killing innocent civilians. That’s a cowardly, dog act. Do you disagree?
Cowardly? Of course.

So noble.
When the war started the US didn't go in because the current president had promised people Americans weren't gonna go die for another EUROPEAN war. There were many things that happened before America was forced to act against the Axis. Brazil joined until 1942 for a reason. Read a book.

Mar 10, 2015
You know, fine if you think the US is righteous and is protecting you from the evil terrorists, but a large part of the world consider the US equal to those terrorist states.

I do think the US is righteous. And I consider a large part of the world to be shitholes. I’m playing for team America, baby. All the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: tfur

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Japanese were fully dug in. The public was generally willing to fight. Japanese children were being taught to strap on explosives and let tanks roll over them. The Japanese were killing upwards of 10k Asian civilians a day across their occupied territory. Meanwhile, Russia was bearing down on Japan and would have carved another brutal slice through it. It saddens me to say it, but Nagasaki and Hiroshima almost certainly saved lives, even if we only count civilian.

Reactions: desertdroog

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014
If that was about getting rich, they (a) would have been choosing which side to support (the Pact, the Allies or maybe both) and we'd have known about that, and (b) wouldn't have given tons of help for free. Plus, (c) they would certainly, absolutely, not spilled their own blood.
We're talking politics and elites, man... spilling their own blood, are you serious? Do you think they gave a fuck about the cannon fodder? Do you really? It was not for free. The US made tons of money and gained political and military and economical ground around the world... Look at Japan now being the US bitch now... or Germany rebuilt with american money... was it because of a noble sentiment? Fuck not.

War is always interests, man. The US enters those it can benefit from.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
I absolutely disagree. In total war the goal is to incapacitate your enemy. This includes eliminating their supply chain. No one is "innocent". A civilian making tanks for your enemy is just as much as a threat to your side as their soldiers.

You kill the other side until they decide they don't want to be killed anymore and submit. And then the war ends and actual lasting peace can take hold. This tit for tat shooting of military targets never de-escalates the situation.

Reactions: SpartanN92