• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live updates: Iran launches missile attack on airbase in Iraq housing US troops

llien

Feb 1, 2017
Ongoing gurilla warfare between what remained of the German army and the allies. We are talking a different timeline here where Hitler and company didn't just give up and commit suicide or run away.
How could Hitler neithe rrun, nor commit suicide or get captured/killed?
Hide in the basement, Saddam Hussein style?

Show me a random industrial building and I can not tell you what is being produced inside.
Dresden bombing followed official adoption of "let's kill more civilians" concept, all parties have blood of the innocent on their hands, sorry to burst your bubble,
Whatever industry was in Dresden, it was located mostly on the outskirts, yet it was the center that was bombed the most.

Industrial centers need railroads to import resources and export goods.
It doesn't automatically turn them into "transportation hubs".
I'm a bit tired beating a dead horse here...

It was 'Bomber' Harris. I'm well aware of him.
Thanks.

4] Night raids had almost no visibility.
So, Dresden was bombed like that by mistake, because pilots could barely see anything. Got it.

Commander in chief signs capitulations. Which, wait for it, was the Emperor.

Vade

Dec 28, 2012
While we can all be arm-chair generals and the like. I also doubt any of those who were in WWII ,the real one not the women storming Normandy COD one, visit this site. All that said I truly wonder what a world we would live in if we had truly had the war to end all wars like Patton had wanted. If we had done the hard slog, the last time the population as a whole was united in a singular cause. How many more millions would have died? Probably another million to two million, but think without Communism how many would have been saved in Eastern Europe, China, Korea/Vietnam, Afghanistan, Cuba?

The world will always have dictators clinging to power, oppressing their people. They probably would not have so many CCCP weapons, missiles, troop carriers, tanks etc. with Communism coming out of WWII.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Ornlu

manfestival

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2009
Hardly a surprise, but more sanctions imposed on Iran

It will be a bit tougher for the international community to whine about this when the US held back from further attacks + the Iranians shot down an innocent civilian airline during their strike.
I imagine it is going to be a field day against anyone that is counter to the sanctions. "Oh so you support a country that shot down a civilian plan? No? Then why are you against this punishment? What would you suggest their punishment be?!" lol I am sure there will be way better, more thought out reactions.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
We are talking about an alternate history here. Or hell, even if Hitler still died, if the military decided to keep fighting instead of surrendering.

llien

Feb 1, 2017
if the military decided to keep fighting instead of surrendering.
It's alternative history I'm asking about.

There was no capacity to do it.
It couldn't have worked in an organized way (there was no country from which government in exile could have organized resistance).
The guy who have signed capitulation was next to nobody.

Isolated groups and individual soldiers actually continued to fight and were eliminated.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Hardly a surprise, but more sanctions imposed on Iran

It will be a bit tougher for the international community to whine about this when the US held back from further attacks + the Iranians shot down an innocent civilian airline during their strike.
Look at you playing Mr. Naive today. Its cute, I mean that. All these hopes and dreams that lunatics won't blame the US for even crazier people's decision to shoot down a plane that just took off from their own airport. You must have missed Justin "Blackface" Trudeau's press conference from the other day.

Oct 26, 2018
Japan didn't formally surrender until 2nd of September. Nukes were dropped in the beginning of August.

US have nuked about quarter a million of people with just two bombs, most of them civilians.

There were plans to use bombs as soon as they are produced, imagine what figures we would have had by now.

On the other hand, US own estimates of potential casualties, if not waiting for Stalin to faceroll Japan, but taking it over quickly (similarly to what happened in Europe) would mean about 500k dead American soldiers.

Now, I understand "my people > your people, even civilians", but let's not pretend there was nothing b

We are literally on the side that has bombed Dresden which as no military/industrial facilities whatsoever and declared killing civilians an official tactic (yes, on the eastern front).
What were you asking, again?
That was a different time when warring sides did crazy shit. Carpet bombings, holocaust, Japan doing biological tests on Chinese prisoners, nukes. It was a free for all.

Since then it's more controlled, but you still get chemical attacks, genocides, and rockets zooming across borders.

It took two nukes and a month before Japan threw in the towel. Just imagine how long it would take if the US (which no other ally seemed to help) were to do a boring "honest" attack for years on Japan and the million islands they held.

If anything, it helped. Not only did the war finally stop, but the second Japan got it's ass kicked in, they did a 180. From imperialistic mongerers, they suddenly morphed into quiet pansies who focused more on education and production. When before that it was making shitty products and being a nobody.

finowns

May 10, 2009
That was a different time when warring sides did crazy shit. Carpet bombings, holocaust, Japan doing biological tests on Chinese prisoners, nukes. It was a free for all.

Since then it's more controlled, but you still get chemical attacks, genocides, and rockets zooming across borders.

It took two nukes and a month before Japan threw in the towel. Just imagine how long it would take if the US (which no other ally seemed to help) were to do a boring "honest" attack for years on Japan and the million islands they held.

If anything, it helped. Not only did the war finally stop, but the second Japan got it's ass kicked in, they did a 180. From imperialistic mongerers, they suddenly morphed into quiet pansies who focused more on education and production. When before that it was making shitty products and being a nobody.
Actually Japan has a rich history and a very unique culture and they were quite content to somewhat isolate themselves until the US forced them to open their market. Japan obviously never forgot the humiliation and rapidly industrialized becoming an imperialist power, an ideology that was imported.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

Dresden bombing followed official adoption of "let's kill more civilians" concept, all parties have blood of the innocent on their hands, sorry to burst your bubble,
Whatever industry was in Dresden, it was located mostly on the outskirts, yet it was the center that was bombed the most.

It doesn't automatically turn them into "transportation hubs".
I'm a bit tired beating a dead horse here...

Thanks.

So, Dresden was bombed like that by mistake, because pilots could barely see anything. Got it.

It seems like you didnt understand anything i said, so i guess im done. You're being dense about what a transportation hub is. You're claiming i said dresden was bombed by mistake, which is literally the opposite of what i said. You're 'bursting my bubble' about... nothing? I'm the one who knows who Harris is, not you. I know of his orders, and i have a basic understanding of why it was done. I also know how he was treated after the war. If all you have to say is 'killing civilians bad', well, then, sure, yes, of course. But most people actually take the entire war in context and actually discuss why these decisions were made, and why, arguably, they absolutely had to be made. But you're literally upset a city can be considered both a hub of industry and transportation, which means at this point you are just arguing to argue and unwilling to concede a single point, even when you are wrong.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014

As the WSJ reports, just hours after the U.S. strike which killed Iranian Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the Trump administration sent an urgent back channel message to Tehran: "Don’t escalate." The encrypted fax message was sent via the Swiss Embassy in Iran, one of the few means of direct, confidential communication between the two sides, U.S. officials told the WSJ. Then, in frantic attempts to de-escalate even as top US and Iranian leaders were stirring patriotic sentiment and nationalistic fervor, the White House and Iranian leaders exchanged further messages in the days that followed, which officials in both countries described as far more measured than the fiery rhetoric traded publicly by politicians.

So... this was all dealt with behind the scenes while our media chicken little'd that the sky was falling and got everyone to believe it was WW3.

I'm shocked, i tell you, shocked.

Last edited:

Gp1

Sep 17, 2019
Although the maximum autority of Japan was the emperor, specially in WW2, the emperor followed the deliberations of the big 6.

Remember the last samurai? Were there were various groups keeps whispering in the emperors ears? Is the same thing here.

King of Foxes

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
Latvia

So... this was all dealt with behind the scenes while our media chicken little'd that the sky was falling and got everyone to believe it was WW3.

I'm shocked, i tell you, shocked.
Is CNN and reset now calling Trump a pussy for asking them to not escalate yet?

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018
What about a picture of Hillary, with a MAGA hat and the text "I want my goddamn war and I want it now.'
Sounds good.

I'm a good sport, so I' ll give you the win now. Lol

Send me avatar and I'll put it on. 3 months long, right?
So from now til april 30th.

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Sounds good.

I'm a good sport, so I' ll give you the win now. Lol

Send me avatar and I'll put it on. 3 months long, right?
So from now til april 31st.
Well actually. I propose a change of terms. If you accept.

What if you create an image with Hillary, maga hat and the text I proposed,
then I will use that as my avatar for a while.
(I suck at photoshop).

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018
Well actually. I propose a change of terms. If you accept.

What if you create an image with Hillary, maga hat and the text I proposed,
then I will use that as my avatar for a while.
(I suck at photoshop).
I suck at photoshop too.

So let's. Make another deal.
We both give eachother an avatar to use until the end of april.

I found you this one, it's the closest I fou d to Hillary wearing a maga hat.:

• Triggered
Reactions: Scotty W

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I suck at photoshop too.

So let's. Make another deal.
We both give eachother an avatar to use until the end of april.

I found you this one, it's the closest I fou d to Hillary wearing a maga hat.:
We both do a new avatar for ourselves. I do mine, you do yours.

I will make one for me: hillary + maga + the text. It is just too good an avatar to give to someone else :)

You can use the picture above, I think it would be funnier if you put a hitler mustache on her. And maybe say something offensive.
But it is just a suggestion. You do your avatar and I do mine :)

Reactions: Psykodad

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
It's quick and dirty, but if you guys want it, be my guest:

Looks promising. Can you put the IRAN map in the background and then add the text "I want my goddamn war and I want it now" to the front?

It will be my new avatar if you can do this! See it as a challenge

Last edited:

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018
Hey Psykodad Psykodad , look who has a hot new avatar!

I see the avatar more like my reward for winning the bet than your punishment for losing :)
(But a hitler stash on that image you have would be pretty epic.)
Lol love your avatar.

And I get ya. It's all in good fun anyway.

I think I'll just draw a Hitler stash on her myself. Lol

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Awesome!

I think we have ticked all the boxes on this one. Trump, Hillary, Hitler all in one.
Everyone will be triggered!
Well done.
There probably needs to be a star of david or a yarmulke in there somewhere; really channel the full anti-christ tinfoil hatdom. :lollipop_anxious_sweat: