• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live updates: Iran launches missile attack on airbase in Iraq housing US troops

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Seems strange that they'd target bases in Iraq. They were trying to co-opt Iraq as little as last week.

Hopefully Trump takes the opportunity to reduce their air force to scrap and then dumps enough cruise missiles onto Natanz and Fordow to set their nuclear aspirations back a generation.

Last edited:

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
Iraq. Saudi Arabia. Antarctica. Makes no difference where US troops are. Explain to me the part where Iran can fire its rockets at targets in another sovereign territory. I'll wait.
er you do know how the general was killed right? Iraq was pretty pissed off about that even.

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
Seems strange that they'd target bases in Iraq. They were trying to co-opt Iraq as little as last week.

Hopefully Trump takes the opportunity to reduce their air force to scrap and then dumps enough cruise missiles onto Natanz and Fordow to set their nuclear aspirations back a generation.
natanz and fordow were already filled with cement per the agreement nothing there.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
er you do know how the general was killed right? Iraq was pretty pissed off about that even.
I'm open to any explanation as to why the general was in Iraq, why they were stirring up militia groups, why they sent pro-Iranian protesters to attack the US embassy, and why he was (allegedly) planning an attack against coalition forces in the area.

None of this has taken place on Iranian soil, unless I've missed some major part of the story. If you can rationalize why an Iranian general behaving this way in a foreign territory is acceptable, I'm curious to hear it.

Azzurri

Jun 13, 2007
Honest question, if WE do go to War who the hell is going to side with Iran? China and Russia? I don't see them butting in, plus the Saudis and Israel hate Iran too.

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016

the Air Force is looking for recruits how about you sign up since you’re gung ho about going to war ?

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
The implication is that Sanctuary cities harbor illegal immigrants, perhaps sleeper cells from Iran (who knows?) . If it is confirmed that such an attack happens in a city like that or someone resident to a sanctuary city, I expect the Governor of those states meeting with the Federal government doing a sit down and discussing why Sanctuary cities will not continue without more involvement of Federal Law Enforcement.

This doesn't have anything to do with laborers and those who overstay their visa (though it will get more difficult for them), but that any sanctuary cities directly enabled an attack by the very nature of refusing to work with ICE to remove known individuals involved in anything resulting from Iran's push to hit us in the United States will definitely give the Federal government all they need to step in.
The likelihood of any of that happening are extremely low. Sanctuary cities are not in any more danger of "sleeper cells" than any other city, and any such individual would very likely have extremely clean visas (like the 9/11 attackers) any way.

This isn't Tom Clancy, and immigrants aren't inherently more dangerous to America.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeafTourette

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
I'm open to any explanation as to why the general was in Iraq, why they were stirring up militia groups, why they sent pro-Iranian protesters to attack the US embassy, and why he was (allegedly) planning an attack against coalition forces in the area.

None of this has taken place on Iranian soil, unless I've missed some major part of the story. If you can rationalize why an Iranian general behaving this way in a foreign territory is acceptable, I'm curious to hear it.
we all are. No one will give us answers not even the WH

Reactions: DeafTourette
Jun 9, 2004
usa
haiti.kreyol.com
Well I'm not claiming I know why this shit is going on but I'm pretty damn sure it is not the reasons CNN/Fox News are reporting it is.

real people are getting killed tho. Now we here taking about anime and pedo attacks just cause

Last edited:

Gp1

Sep 17, 2019
Honest question, if WE do go to War who the hell is going to side with Iran? China and Russia? I don't see them butting in, plus the Saudis and Israel hate Iran too.
Russia only indirectly
They won't put troops on the ground for Iran unless the regime is in danger

I would not be surprised in the least if their targets weren't leaked before the attack to insure no human casualties so both sides can claim victory and de escelate from there
probably
If not US will probably retaliate against the launch sites

Last edited:
Reactions: Azzurri

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
the Air Force is looking for recruits how about you sign up since you’re gung ho about going to war ?
The Peace Corps is looking for recruits how bout you sign up since you're so anti war?

(can we not resort to this pathetic derail yet again? You're smarter than that)

I would not be surprised in the least if their targets weren't leaked before the attack to insure no human casualties so both sides can claim victory and de escelate from there
Attacking multiple bases, mobilizing their air force, and threatening Saudi Arabia doesn't seem like a deescalation to me.

Last edited:

pork_gamete

Jun 3, 2014
My country is pretty neutral, I don't fully understand the effects and consequences of war, I've never felt them.

I don't mean to be rude but I'm kind of "excited" by the news, the "it's happening" thing...

How bad do you americans see and fear war?

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Iran threatens to attack Dubai and Haifa if country is bombed
From CNN’s Artemis Moshtaghian

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said in its Telegram channel that, in the event Iranian soil is bombed, it will target the cities of Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and Haifa, Israel, in the third wave of operations.
Unbelievable.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
we all are. No one will give us answers not even the WH
Then without justification as to why he was there, I am going to go with the info we have: he was stirring up shit in a foreign country and got glassed. That isn't "escalation" on the USA's part. That is defending allies in their own sovereign territory.

Democrats get pissy when Russian bots interfere with elections in a foreign country but stirring up mobs and anti-gov't militia is totally cool when Iran does it.

Reactions: Oner

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
The Peace Corps is looking for recruits how bout you sign up since you're so anti war?

(can we not resort to this pathetic derail yet again? You're smarter than that)
yea my bad about the derail I just get annoyed when people are so willing to go to war and let other people die for them while stay safe behind their keyboards. I’ll just end that there.

On topic, very interested to see what trumps going to say tonight.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
natanz and fordow were already filled with cement per the agreement nothing there.
Uh, no, they weren't. The one site they did do concrete they didn't do the entire thing. Iran themselves has claimed only the external pipes of Arak were filled, can be---and are---back to enriching uranium in a matter of days.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
so far no casualties are reported

what option do you think they have? Swallow their pride and be called a coward by their people? They had to do something. I hope they feel like this was enough and that no one was killed
If they cannot let bygones be bygones, why should we?

Fuck ‘em. We could probably beat them without without a single American boot stepping on their soil. If they want to commit suicide by trying to aggravate us, let them.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
yea my bad about the derail I just get annoyed when people are so willing to go to war and let other people die for them while stay safe behind their keyboards. I’ll just end that there.

On topic, very interested to see what trumps going to say tonight.
You don't have to take me at my word but I am also anti-war / anti-intervention and I hope the USA applies the smallest hammer. You and I are together in that sentiment. Not condemning the USA's actions =/= pro-war.

Ke0

Aug 10, 2012
Reading, Berkshire
I'm flabbergasted that Iran would retaliate after one of their highest ranking officers was assassinated. Utterly shocked I tell you. Thank god your country elected someone who wasn't a warhawk. Now the UK is gonna get involved because the government is full of tossers who kiss America's ass and join in whatever shite they get into regardless if they're wrong or not.

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
I'm flabbergasted that Iran would retaliate after one of their highest ranking officers was assassinated. Utterly shocked I tell you. Thank god your country elected someone who wasn't a warhawk. Now the UK is gonna get involved because the government is full of tossers who kiss America's ass and join in whatever shite they get into regardless if they're wrong or not.

the hot take thread is in OT, thanks