• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"LOCKE & KEY" (Netflix) - Welcome to Lovecraft

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
"Secrets are the prisons we make for ourselves."
- Joe Hill

Releasing: February 7th, 2020
Genre: Supernatural horror, drama
Created by: Joe Hill

Locke & Key is one of my favorite comic series, and it looks like a lot of love has been put into the show. Hopefully Netflix has a real winner here. :)

locke-and-key-poster-netflix-1383x2048.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm... Looks interesting. Hopefully it doesn't turn into woke and key since it's on Netflix. Although they did pretty well with the Witcher it was far and few in-between from those that I actually didn't think was plagued with it. Though I didn't read the books so...

Anyway, does anyone know how to play audio backwards? Towards the end of the trailer it seems like it spent quite a while with the audio pointedly focused on the whispers. Was wondering if there was some sort of hidden message there.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
It looked ok. I never read the stories myself. But that music was a turn off, it made it seem like some fantastical and magical journey kind of movie that bores me.

Hmmm... Looks interesting. Hopefully it doesn't turn into woke and key since it's on Netflix. Although they did pretty well with the Witcher it was far and few in-between from those that I actually didn't think was plagued with it. Though I didn't read the books so...

Anyway, does anyone know how to play audio backwards? Towards the end of the trailer it seems like it spent quite a while with the audio pointedly focused on the whispers. Was wondering if there was some sort of hidden message there.

Netflix has done quite a bit of non-woke stuff, especially recently

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Very cool. I need to look into the source material

You should! I highly recommend it. :)

Lovecraftian you say? I’m in.

Honestly, I probably should have titled it "Welcome to Keyhouse"...but I instead went with the title of the first graphic novel which contains the first 6 issues.

The series does involve mystery and an otherworldly cosmic darkness, though...and if I recall correctly, is centered in Massachusetts near Rhode Island.

I read somewhere that the backwards voice is saying "We all die...if I see or feed now...” and then leads into gibberish. I'm fairly certain the voice is coming from Dodge...the dark lady in the well.

As far as 'woke' themes: The original comic series came out in 2008 and featured one side character who is gay, and although they never really dive into it, he wanted to be a girl as a child. Still, there is nothing I would say is pushing an agenda whatsoever...and actually probably goes against current expectations with the character seemingly growing out of those desires and lives on as a gay man.

Still, what I wouldn't give to have a working version of this key myself. :messenger_relieved:

QMGNyi7.jpg

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the backwards voice is saying "We all die...if I see or feed now...” and then leads into gibberish. I'm fairly certain the voice is coming from Dodge...the dark lady in the well.

Is it english? In the clip I posted above I can hear "we all" and "I can see" but the rest sounds like a different language to me if anything.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
It looked ok. I never read the stories myself. But that music was a turn off, it made it seem like some fantastical and magical journey kind of movie that bores me.

I feel the music makes sense, as even though it is technically a supernatural horror story, it does have a whimsical atmosphere. The main characters are young teenagers, and even though there is certainly violence, it doesn't focus on gore whatsoever.

JSoup

Banned
I liked the comics for the most part.
But why are we getting this before Chew, been waiting for that nonsense for a couple years now.

Gargus

Banned
I feel the music makes sense, as even though it is technically a supernatural horror story, it does have a whimsical atmosphere. The main characters are young teenagers, and even though there is certainly violence, it doesn't focus on gore whatsoever.

I'll probably try it out but it doesnt sound like it will interest me.

I dont care about gore at all really, the only movies I enjoy that in is from the 70s and 80s. But anything made in the past 20 years that revolves around teenagers I generally dont like, especially from the last 10 years. And I dont like whimsical stuff from recently either.

So I have to give a thank you and a shout out to Ailynn Ailynn .

I had never heard of this before she posted this thread.

I read volume 1 (Welcome to Lovecraft) last night and it's so good that I re-read it this morning before now moving on to volume 2 (Head Games)

The characters are excellently written and I immediately felt attached to Kinsey, Bode, and Ty. Sam is a fascinating "villain," or whatever he is considered (an almost sympathetic tool of dread throughout the early chapters). As far as the real "villain," I guess I have just scratched the surface there and am about to learn more.

The story, thus far, the story keeps reminding me of various aspects of some of my favorite books I read growing up, titles ranging from Stephen King, Dean Koontz, C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, just a wonderful thematic and tonal combination

Can't wait to jump into Head Games before the NFL games start shortly.

This is great stuff, so far.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
So I have to give a thank you and a shout out to Ailynn Ailynn .

I had never heard of this before she posted this thread.

I read volume 1 (Welcome to Lovecraft) last night and it's so good that I re-read it this morning before now moving on to volume 2 (Head Games)

The characters are excellently written and I immediately felt attached to Kinsey, Bode, and Ty. Sam is a fascinating "villain," or whatever he is considered (an almost sympathetic tool of dread throughout the early chapters). As far as the real "villain," I guess I have just scratched the surface there and am about to learn more.

The story, thus far, the story keeps reminding me of various aspects of some of my favorite books I read growing up, titles ranging from Stephen King, Dean Koontz, C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, just a wonderful thematic and tonal combination

Can't wait to jump into Head Games before the NFL games start shortly.

This is great stuff, so far.

Awesome! I'm glad you liked it- Thank you so much for sharing! ❤

Your list of authors was so spot on for the feelings on the themes and tone. Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King, so I bet his Dad's stories meant a lot to him growing up. :)

I haven't watched it yet, but I just found out today about a Netflix film written by both Joe Hill and Stephen King called In the Tall Grass. I'm going to watch it tonight if I get the chance!

Last edited:
I have a question that might be idiotic but that usually doesn't stop me

Story/relationship continuity question at start of Volume 4

Volume 3 ends with Jordan pissed at Ty for giving her an essay that got an F. She like SUPER PISSED. Then as 4 starts they are fully together. Did I miss like a side issue?

Amazing comic

TrainedRage

Banned
Thanks for posting this Ailynn Ailynn I was looking for a new show to binge and Dracula isn't doing it for me. Will give this a shot based on your based recommendation.

Like the new pic BTW, eyebrows on point :messenger_sunglasses: :messenger_ok:

Double edit: damn you changed your avatar too huh CLS? What did I miss?

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I have a question that might be idiotic but that usually doesn't stop me

Story/relationship continuity question at start of Volume 4

Volume 3 ends with Jordan pissed at Ty for giving her an essay that got an F. She like SUPER PISSED. Then as 4 starts they are fully together. Did I miss like a side issue?

Amazing comic

I love your new picture! ❤
So glad you are enjoying the comic!

As far as your question, it's been about 10 years since I read the comics so it's hard to remember, but I just received my 'master edition' hardbacks of the entire series today. I'm reading back through it, and when I get to that point again, I'll try to answer your question as best as I can! :)

aDAgssD.jpg

Last edited:
i hate it when horror/supernatural stuff looks so spiffy and polished

when someone is all dirty they're fucking aesthetically dirty

this some disney shit

you need a real motherfucker to deliver horror

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Thanks Ailynn Ailynn , will add it to my list.
Watch Dark.

You're welcome! Also, yeah...Dark is great - I can't wait for the next season! :)

Thanks for posting this Ailynn Ailynn I was looking for a new show to binge and Dracula isn't doing it for me. Will give this a shot based on your based recommendation.

Like the new pic BTW, eyebrows on point :messenger_sunglasses: :messenger_ok:

You're very welcome, and thank you so much! ❤

i hate it when horror/supernatural stuff looks so spiffy and polished

when someone is all dirty they're fucking aesthetically dirty

this some disney shit

you need a real motherfucker to deliver horror

The comic does have some pretty gritty scenes, so hopefully they do it justice! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Sygma

Holy shit YES.

I'm just a little sad about the underwhelming appearance of the crown of shadows "effect" but it looks fucking perfect

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Whats Lovecraftian about that?

The story mostly takes place in a fictional town called Lovecraft, Massachusetts:

IyYxLrQ.png

It's a town based on Nahatan, Massachusetts...and one area in the story called the Drowning Cave is based on a real place there called Swallow Cave.

(Part of the story is a cosmic evil dimension, as well.)

Last edited:
The story mostly takes place in a fictional town called Lovecraft, Massachusetts:

IyYxLrQ.png

It's a town based on Nahatan, Massachusetts...and one area in the story called the Drowning Cave is based on a real place there called Swallow Cave.

(Part of the story is a cosmic evil dimension, as well.)

Ah okay, so mostly just references to Lovecraft. Sorry to interrupt, carry on.

Damn, I just finished the series.

I laughed, out loud. I cheered, out loud. I cried, a little out loud.

Tremendous material. I need to search for more stuff like this.

I pray the Netflix series does it justice.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Damn, I just finished the series.

I laughed, out loud. I cheered, out loud. I cried, a little out loud.

Tremendous material. I need to search for more stuff like this.

I pray the Netflix series does it justice.

giphy.gif

Awesome- So glad to hear it! ❤

(Also, I hope so, too!) :)

Last edited:
Grace’s review is up

I haven’t watched the vid yet but I always throw out the warning that Grace tends to comparison/reference/imply spoil things even in her “non-spoiler reviews” so caution is advised for those trying to avoid anything like that

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
List please. I would be interested. It's hard for me to invest my time and emotions into shows only to have them squashed by the woke shenanigans. Actually I had an idea for a website that would list woke shows to save people time lol.
Make a thread! I had to suffer through the atrocious "October Faction", "Daybreak", and "Sabrina" to figure out that Netflix only casts black guys to be gay leads :p Jury is out on "Ragnarok" as I've not finished it yet ( 3-4 eps in and it handles LGB stuff with far more deftness).

Anyway, I'd love a thread to thread through the masses of genre stuff the streaming services are grinding out. So much of it is YA nonsense with wokeness galore.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I really can't wait...it's almost here! :messenger_heart:

I just really hope it does the comic justice. I would love if it is awesome and catches on well enough that they would make replicas of the keys.
🗝✨

Last edited:

jolof96

I really can't wait...it's almost here! :messenger_heart:

I just really hope it does the comic justice. I would love if it is awesome and catches on well enough that they would make replicas of the keys.
🗝✨
is it tomorrow it goes onto netflix?

I’ve never read Locke and Key, but I’m ba deep in almost all of the Hill House comics that DC is putting out right now. For the most part, good shit.

I’ll check this out for sure and keep an eye on this thread — might end up picking up the books

Edit: spelling fixes

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
ahh close enough. ill be quarantined with a cold (not coronavirus) all weekend so perfect chance for me to binge on it haha

I hope you feel better soon!!

Will they drop the entire season all in one? Or will it be released weekly? Your thread has me intrigued but I vastly prefer binge watching.

Same here! Netflix usually drops the whole season all at once, thankfully...and I'm definitely going to binge-watch it all ASAP. :)

My guess is that this season will cover the first third of the comic series, and is planned as a trilogy. (That's my hope, anyway!)

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
....and it is OUT!! :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Binge-watching now!

EDIT: Three episodes in so far, and although I'm not really a fan of some of the changes, it seems pretty well done so far. It has definitely been toned down for more of the whimsical side rather than horror.

I guess I should expect things like this, though. How often does a show or movie follow the source material exactly?

In my opinion, not nearly often enough. :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
So....
I just finished season 1.

As a huge fan of the graphic novel series, I am sadly disappointed with a great deal of the show. They removed mostly any horror feel of the original material, making it more fitting for a younger crowd. The level of violence, language, and mature themes are either downplayed, heavily censored, or removed altogether. Much of the plot was changed inexplicably. Often, it also seemed they took the easy way out on ways to avoid a larger budget.

Even the villain seems rather weak...no where near as dark or dangerous as in the comics.

I didn't hate it, but I was just...let down. I suppose I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, but I've been waiting for nearly ten years for this thing...

I suppose the one saving grace for me is the ending of season 1. I'm curious where they are taking the story.

JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered : I am truly sorry, my friend. I have a feeling you are going to be disappointed as well. :messenger_pensive:

Everyone else, I hope you give the comics a chance...whether you enjoy the Netflix iteration or not.

Also, I just came upon the unreleased and canceled 2011 Fox series pilot of Locke & Key.

It seems it would have more closely followed the events from the comic, but without the same budget the Netflix series got:

Last edited:
Top Bottom