Londoners' fury at MoD plans to put Olympic missiles on roofs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The Olympics... creating peace and harmony every 4 years
because no one gives a shit about the winter olympics...not even evildoers

Yeah, I don't get it. Who do they think is going to attack? Everyone has athletes there.

Do they really think they would shoot down a hijacked plane doing a suicide mission?

Of course they would. Far less casualties if you shoot it down.

I'd hate to be the one to have to push that button though =/.
But if the missiles are in London, wouldn't they be shooting the plane down....over London? I can't help but think that it could cause a great deal of casualties.

I'm not sure how effective this would be. It reminds me of the time the government stuck a tank on Heathrows runway to deter terrorists, or to make it seem like they're doing something.

HMS ocean has been moved just a few miles away to act as a mobile base-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...cean-squeezes-through-the-Thames-Barrier.html

I believe one of the new type 45's is also going to be off shore and a bunch of typhoons have been re-situated for better air support.

Seems to be some serious concern over a possible airbourne attack, the typhoons working with early warning radar should be able to reach anything long before reaching london, while the type 45 can monitor half of englands air space on its own.

With the thousands of troops moving into the area it does seem a little overkill.

catfish

I have a foreskin yet I do not have AIDS
If the government came to put a missile battery on my roof, I'd say 'fucking rad' and try and get a look at the install while offering them coffee.

But if the missiles are in London, wouldn't they be shooting the plane down....over London? I can't help but think that it could cause a great deal of casualties.
The Olympic venues would have a larger population density. Kinda like would you let a plane go down at the Superbowl or in a residential area. The destructive area of a crashed plane actually isn't that large so better to take it down from the higher density.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
What a bullshit headline, there's no fury at all.

Obviously they it wouldn't be the best thing for your decor if a SAM was fired out of your upstairs window, but everyone understands that if that's deemed necessary it's really the least of our problems.

Surely it's better to err on the side of caution, when really it isn't really effecting anybody's civil liberties that much.

There's always someone complaining during the lead up to the Olympics. I'm sure some people will be put out, but some people always are during these events.

With a bit of luck any downed aircraft will crash into the guy who designed the 2012 logo, do the world a favour even if not in time to save the London Olympics from looking retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.