• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long queues of people waiting outside the stores for MH4 in Japan today

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nothing really new here. Same thing happened with the other launches of the MH games.

At least folks got lucky today with no rain, which is supposed to hit tomorrow.

Ridley327

Heh, this right here.

You dun goofed Sony. All the great steps they have made over the last few years, moneyhatting a Monster Hunter could have been huge.

It blows my mind that they even had it set up where Nintendo could talk to them in the first place. Did they think that Capcom would stick with them out of the goodness of their hearts? There isn't a single Kojima or Nomura over there.

balohna

I'm wondering if the 3DS is finally going to catch up to the rate of the DS. A lot of people fail to note that the DS already had a Pokemon generation by that point, and it didn't have anything like MH. If the 3DS doesn't catch up to pace with the DS this year it probably never will.

PhantomR

Banned
Dat Monster Hunter Exclusivity. Well done, playa. Well done. #BasedIwata

1280871_502632486484522_985005832_n.jpg

Arxisz

Man this game could have been so glorious on that OLED... oh well guess that puts the nail in the coffin for vita in japan. man the things I want never happen :(

squall23

It blows my mind that they even had it set up where Nintendo could talk to them in the first place. Did they think that Capcom would stick with them out of the goodness of their hearts? There isn't a single Kojima or Nomura over there.
In what possible way could Sony have stopped Nintendo and Capcom (a 3rd party developer) from communicating to each other? This is a serious question because I have no idea.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm wondering if the 3DS is finally going to catch up to the rate of the DS. A lot of people fail to note that the DS already had a Pokemon generation by that point, and it didn't have anything like MH. If the 3DS doesn't catch up to pace with the DS this year it probably never will.
It might gain a lot of traction but it's not gonna be close.

I don't see any home console game come close to the sales of MH4 for the rest of this upcoming gen. Maybe ever.
I'm kind of ignorant about MH. Is there something about this series that makes it better on handhelds? Is there a reason why it's not on consoles? I know it HAS been on consoles but those were just enhanced ports, right?

squall23

I'm kind of ignorant about MH. Is there something about this series that makes it better on handhelds? Is there a reason why it's not on consoles? I know it HAS been on consoles but those were just enhanced ports, right?
It's not better or worse on handhelds, it's just that Japan has become handheld land hence why more and more games are becoming portable.

RE_Player

Sony should have money hatted them when they had the chance.

Sony is great when it comes to first party and hardware but they need to learn how to make the best money hats. Nintendo made a brilliant move with this one and this generation the Call of Duty map pack money Microsoft gave Activision made a significant difference in terms of sales and perception for that franchise.

jwhit28

Does Sony provide any support in publishing and translation for Japanese 3rd parties the way Nintendo does for Capcom, Square Enix, and Atlus? I think there is a difference in simply paying for exclusivity and providing a service other hardware makers aren't, though it achieves the same goal.

Jesus. Sony Japan must be shitting.

Crazy how that series is basically Japan's call of duty. And thus crazy how much more awesome Japan is than the rest of the world.

Probably a mix of fuming with anger towards Capcom, pissed with themselves and shitting themselves.

It's not better or worse on handhelds, it's just that Japan has become handheld land hence why more and more games are becoming portable.

the whole mobile multiplayer aspect has contributed to its success a lot though

Watashiwa

Portability. Japan's public transit systems are famously good and well used, meaning that it's easy to find drop-in games for multiplayer handheld titles, nice for those 45 minute train commutes.

RE_Player

In what possible way could Sony have stopped Nintendo and Capcom (a 3rd party developer) from communicating to each other? This is a serious question because I have no idea.

Sony could have stopped them by making a deal with them earlier. They wouldn't be opened to discussions with Nintendo if Sony simply locked it up when Monster Hunter was on the rise on PSP.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Weird, was in akiba yesterday and didn't see any lines. Too hot for that nonsense anyway :(

Caronte

Sony should have money hatted them when they had the chance.

Sony is great when it comes to first party and hardware but they need to learn how to make the best money hats. Nintendo made a brilliant move with this one and this generation the Call of Duty map pack money Microsoft gave Activision made a significant difference in terms of sales and perception for that franchise.

So your advice for Sony is: throw money at everything. It's not like they can buy every exclusive that they want, you know?

GetemMa

Good god. And in another month will be Pokemon.

No wonder Sony is waiting until February for PS4.

3DS is about to start beast mode.

So your advice for Sony is: throw money at everything. It's not like they can buy every exclusive that they want, you know?

they should have moneyhatted this though, without it vita was dead on arrival, I do suspect if it had come down to money that the price Nintendo would have had to pay would have been lower than the price sony would've had to (not saying Nintendo did pay, its just a thought)

Pain

Banned
SonyAmCry.gif

3DS about to get a sales explosion

FUN FACT: MH4 became the best selling game on Amazon Japan this year based on pre-orders alone. I have no doubt the hype for this game has been selling 3DS' for years and will continue to for a while.

zroid

Banned
Can you IMAGINE how many StreetPasses people are getting while waiting in those lines?

I don't even know if there's gonna be a Pokémon XY launch event/lineup around me... sigh...

You honestly think they didn't thought about it?

Why didn't they then? lol. Sony has way more money than Nintendo if it came down to moneyhats. They just didn't care as much.

Top Bottom