• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Longest loading times in a disc-based system?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
One of the early Smackdown games on PSP made me disheartened to buy any more PSP games after suffering through those load times.

Edit:

This guy knows!

Edit Edit:

Ha! There it is! That’s the exact video I remember too.

So, 5:30 ‘til first game. That feels like an age!

Codes 208

Probably because it's down because of the new patch
Nope. Meant before and after. Loading the game up takes a century especially on ps4 and xbox. But getting into games is very quick, loading screen included.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Nope. Meant before and after. Loading the game up takes a century especially on ps4 and xbox. But getting into games is very quick, loading screen included.
Ohhhhhh. Yeah that. Shit takes like 5 mins to load on pc for me.

stranno

It seems its hard to track down any new info about this matter. I'm sure there must be even longer loading times than SOF, but probably from quite obscure games.

One of the early Smackdown games on PSP made me disheartened to buy any more PSP games after suffering through those load times.
I already mentioned that game in the OP in first place. Not looking for games with lots of loading times. Its not Smackdown vs RAW for Playstation Portable, its just every single wrestling game ever for console, just a slideshow of entrances and stats crap, nothing new.

The longest single loading time in that video is 1 minute, not that much. And we are talking about UMD, by the time Devhook had already a few versions and you could just load the game from the MMC with like 5x faster loading times.

My vote goes for the Neo Geo CD
Already mentioned that too and, as i said, Samurai Spirits RPG has the longest loading times in Neo Geo CD, and they are not nearly as long as Soldier of Fortune.

Playstation's Metal Slug: Super Vehicle-001 had worse loading times than that since the game just hangs in the middle of the action (even in the middle of one stage boss) to load stuff. Its quite weird but that could be another matter, weird-placed loading times, i've seen quite a few.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Not disc based and on this gen, but the initial loading time in street fighter 5 is bad, really bad. Horizon also with its fast travels loading screens.

stranno

Not disc based and on this gen, but the initial loading time in street fighter 5 is bad, really bad. Horizon also with its fast travels loading screens.
Not that long but yes, 1+ minute to load the menu in a fighting game was just plain stupid.

I guess it could be related to uncompressed assets in order to make the game larger (for whatever reason).

Last edited:

Melubas

Morrowind for the OG Xbox had insane loading times, every single time you loaded a game or died. Don't remember exactly how long though (still played the shit out of it).

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Morrowind and Skyrim are pretty bad. Luckily they are great games but loading is extreme.

Skyrim is one of those games where it slowly adds up going into / exiting each cave or dungeon. The part I hated the most is when the image during loading was the spider and the camera was slowly zooming in on it. For some reason Skyrim spiders always gross me out.

Neo_GAF

Banned
the first crash bandicoot game for ps2. i think it took around 2minutes to load the level. mind boggling coming from ps1 and everyone thought next-gen loading times will kill the consoles... haha that was fun back in 2000

DukeOfX

Neo Member
The King of Fighters series on Neo Geo CD. Me and my buddy could share a cigarette between KOs.
Ys 6 on PSP was unplayable due to the loading.

stranno

This video looks fake as shit. I have played the GC version of this game and, yes, loading screens were quick, but we are talking about ~8-10 seconds, i have never seen a 1-2 seconds loading screens.

Maybe playing from SDGecko, but sure not from GOD.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Playstation 3 installation times were a pain in the ass, even for the smallest PSN game.

Dinosaurs are still waiting for a system backup restore.

So 65m years ago they started a backup on a 2005 PS3?

As a side note, people often like to remember C64 having way longer loading times than it really had. I've heard countless times people saying how they had to wait 30 minutes for a game to load. Even when they say 10 minutes it's usually stretched quite a bit. 5 minutes plus/minus 2 minutes is more realistic estimate.

I remember spending all evening typing out programs out of a magazine for my older brother on his VIC-20. Is that considered load times?

HereticJ

This one was even bad for its time. As a kid, I always thought it was due to it being a CD game rather than DVD for the PS2. Considering how the game plays and looks, I really doubt that it was due to a hardware limitation, so I've always been curious why this game takes so long to load.

Last edited:

stranno

PC games aren’t released on DVD ROM?
Of course i'm alking about games run from a disc (in consoles).

W3 is a DRM free game so you just install the game and you dont need the disc anymore, we are not living in nineties lol. Most people dont even mess with the disc, they just use the GOG code, its far easier.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Of course i'm alking about games run from a disc (in consoles).

W3 is a DRM free game so you just install the game and you dont need the disc anymore, we are not living in nineties lol. Most people dont even mess with the disc, they just use the GOG code, its far easier.
Again, not talking about installation screens. PS3 is just too damn slow installing things in the HDD, not a game's problem.
I think your thread title needs to be more specific. When you start going “oh, except that”, “oh, and except that”, there’s confusion.

How about “longest loading times in a disc-based system that isn’t a PC or a PS3 or (I’ll leave this blank until we get there)”?

stranno

I think your thread title needs to be more specific. When you start going “oh, except that”, “oh, and except that”, there’s confusion.

How about “longest loading times in a disc-based system that isn’t a PC or a PS3 or (I’ll leave this blank until we get there)”?
That is already clear in the OP.

And PC makes dont make sense since every single modern game runs from HDD.

younGrandon

Neo Member
I assumed this meant load times AFTER the game was installed.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection on my XBone, for me.

Though, I feel slightly silly bringing up a game that took maybe 6 minutes to load a level. My friend and I wanted to power through Halo2 coop campaign on Heroic. We sat patiently for about a minute and then he just started showing me stupid stuff on iFunny for the rest of the time.

The first time you load a campaign in that game it takes awhile.

younGrandon

Neo Member
Now that my mind is on it, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate took quite some time as well upon initial launch. I'd be sitting in that stupid, half-assed Animus, "you can control your character to pass the time" bullshittery for roughly two minutes on my XBone. I will admit that, since my phone can provide instant distraction to anything, I may not even notice extended loading times as much x.x

Last edited:

GoodCool

Banned
If it counts, Installing Street Fighter 3 Third Strike on a real CPS3 board takes about an hour.

Whoever cracked the code noted that the software that does the install was just poorly programmed, and that the hardware was capable of going way faster.

stranno

If it counts, Installing Street Fighter 3 Third Strike on a real CPS3 board takes about an hour.

Whoever cracked the code noted that the software that does the install was just poorly programmed, and that the hardware was capable of going way faster.
The XBOX CPS3 emulator (the first CPS3 emulator ever, some years before the first CPS3 emulator in PC) also tooked a lot of time to load the game. But, of course, it used cache, since XBOX only has 64MB of RAM.

Used-ID

I've heard horrors of a Sega CD basketball game that required disc swaps to load the assets for each match.

Airola

I remember spending all evening typing out programs out of a magazine for my older brother on his VIC-20. Is that considered load times?

I guess that is comparable to the install times in today's gaming :D

I did that too on C64. It was quite a thing to have a program code listing that had a typo somewhere but it was hard to know if the reason the program didn't work was because you made a typo somewhere or if the listing itself had a typo somewhere.

gioGAF

Knights of the Old Republic on my OG Xbox. Brutal loading times, I tried to replay it several years back and couldn't deal with it, so I never made it out of the first area.

Top Bottom