• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking back at games for Xbox One

Roberts

Considering this generation is about to end, I thought about making a thread that looks back at games that were made for Xbox One: exclusives. console exclusives, timed exclusives. I don’t really feel like having another thread about how shit MS games were or how they can improve their first party lineup - we argue about it every day and we all know they can and should improve. Instead I wanted to start a conversation that celebrates the good stuff. Criticism is welcome, of course, and I can’t really stop you from trolling or snark etc, but I hope it can lead to a healthy, positive discussion.

Here are 10 xbox games that kick-ass (for different reasons) for me. What are yours?

Titanfall - I used to play competitive games a lot on PC way back in the old days, but mostly focused on single player experiences during the 360/Ps3 era. This game was a reminder that competitive online games can be fun.

Forza Horizon 3 - Part 1 is still my favorite, because of its basic simplicity, but part 3 objectively their best. The only racing game series I have any interest in.

Sea of Thieves - To be honest, it’s a bit sad this is not considered to be one of the most important games this gen. The whole “make your own adventure” aspect leads to endless possibilities to have fun with your friends, but added content leads to more focused gameplay. I cried from laughter on more than one occasion after my friends have done something ridiculously stupid.

Ori and the Will of Wisps - the first game was great, but this is a classic.

Quantum Break - I think Control is a better game, but as a time traveling movie fan, this was my catnip. I think it is slightly under-appreciated and actually one of the better games in the genre.

Gears 5 - Didn’t hate 4, but it was definitely a game i played all the way through based on the goodwill generated by the first three games. The semi-open world levels of 5 didn’t work as well as developers probably intended, but the rest is Gears at its best. Revisiting campaign Co-op with friends and playing as Jack made the experience even better.

MCC - The amount of good content in this is staggering. I’m actually considering replaying all campaigns one more time.

Ashen - It’s funny how I needed a rip-off of Dark Souls to get me into Dark Souls. Now it is basically my favorite genre.

State of Decay 2 - I couldn’t get into the first game and kind of dismissed the sequel when it came out. Out of curiosity, I gave it another chance when the Juggernaut edition came out and it feels like night and day difference. I don't think I have ever felt so devastated playing a game when something bad happens to your characters.

Super Lucky’s Tale - It is not really a great game (not terrible either), but it hold a special place in my heart, because this game is basically my daughter’s gateway into gaming.

Honorable Mentions: Operencia: The Stolen Sun, Cuphead, Halo 5. Recore, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Deep Rock Galactic, Void Bastards, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Bleeding Edge, Crackdown 3.

Games that I played too little to have an opinion on. Will revisit most of them at some point, because they seem to be good games: Halo Wars 2, Sunset Overdrive, Elite Dangerous, Outer Wilds, Path of Exile, Rare Replay, Astroneer

Games that I flat out disliked or hated: Hello Neighbor

Now it is your turn. Godspeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunset Overdrive was my favourite followed by Quantum Break, Halo Wars 2 and Ryse. I just see wasted potential with the likes of Recore, Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2.

Gears 4/5 - Yeah I thought they were alright, playing 5 in particular just made wish Coalition made something else.

Sea of Thieves, I don’t like much. Was in the alphas/betas and wasn’t too impressed. The water, particularly with a sunrise or sunset, absolutely gorgeous to look at in motion tho.

I liked Ori but my own fault was my lack of patience & frustration tolerance with it, still I admire Moon studios, great art style in particular.

I hear you about negativity but I have to be honest , It’s been my least favourite Xbox generation, been very disappointed overall pre & post Mattrick.

Last edited:

whitesugar

Banned
both forza series continued to be exceptional, Sunset Overdrive was a blast, playing through Gears trilogy was good as I didn't have a 360, MCC was good [i got it after a lot of patches/updates].

it was really slim pickings after that though. i haven;t got around to Gears 5 yet, but 4 was one of the dullest games i've played. tried it twice and could only get through a few hours. not a bad game in any big way, just offensively average almost. hoping Gears 5 is better. need to play Quantum Break also.

Roberts

I just see wasted potential with the likes of Recore

Thankfully, I didn't play when it came out. From what I have read they released unfinished game and it was pretty terrible. But I really enjoyed the Definitive version on X. It still comes with all the limitations and unoptimized nature of Unity engine, but I really liked the combat - it never got boring, because the game basically forces you to try different combinations. Puzzle weren't bad either. I can totally understand that people can't be irritated by the last stretch of the game (tower), but I felt it was a nice challenge.

Thankfully, I didn't play when it came out. From what I have read they released unfinished game and it was pretty terrible. But I really enjoyed the Definitive version on X. It still comes with all the limitations and unoptimized nature of Unity engine, but I really liked the combat - it never got boring, because the game basically forces you to try different combinations. Puzzle weren't bad either. I can totally understand that people can't be irritated by the last stretch of the game (tower), but I felt it was a nice challenge.

With Recore, I had hoped for a better level of polish, particularly in the enemies. I bought it day one and revisited the Definitive edition, still wasn’t too impressed overall however I never bought 1X so...

It’s a shame as the concept is solid, the lead character and robots have good presence and charm and if it was me, I’d try to continue that IP with a dev who could improve it significantly across the board. Who? I dunno. Whilst playing it at launch I couldn’t help but feel someone like Insomniac would of have been great with this but obviously that chance has gone.

Hopefully the IP is revisited some day.

teezzy

Banned
Rare Replay was so fucking dope dude. That collection alone is worth the price of admission.

Also yeah - I love Gears, Halo, and Forza. Sue me. - Gears 5 was GOTY material! That, NHL 20, and DMC V. Amazing stuff for 2019.

Original Xbox and 360 were stronger overall, but I feel XB1 just went through the third console curse just like N64, PS3, Atari 7800, and Saturn did (I'm not counting SG-1000)

Xbox is awesome. Sony/Nintendo exclusives are cool too, but I prefer Xbox.

Roberts

It’s a shame as the concept is solid, the lead character and robots have good presence and charm and if it was me, I’d try to continue that IP with a dev who could improve it significantly across the board. Who? I dunno. Whilst playing it at launch I couldn’t help but feel someone like Insomniac would of have been great with this but obviously that chance has gone.

Agreed, especially about the charm and that is probably the reason why I stuck with it. I also wish they would make a sequel or a reboot and for all I care it can be the same developers - just give them more money and time, which they didn't seem to have.

Agreed, especially about the charm and that is probably the reason why I stuck with it. I also wish they would make a sequel or a reboot and for all I care it can be the same developers - just give them more money and time, which they didn't seem to have.

Just had a thought, Rare could take a shot at it perhaps?

Vawn

Banned
Ori was great. Looking forward to part 3. The rest of the gen was really rough. Hopefully, they can get it turned around.

I did a similar thread to look back on PS4.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The problem with Xbox One games was they're equivalent of Marvel movies. Couple were great, the rest are just fine.

Ori and Forza always great, Gears is nice, Halo 5 is ok, Sea of Thieves and Killer Instinct launched too early...

Mmnow

It started rough and I slowly came round to Xbox this gen.

Rare Replay was what finally did it. Then MCC. Then... Dust.

But the second the One X came out, I was all in. The first game I tried was Gears 3, and it was like I was playing a remaster.

It's taken over most of my third party gaming now, and BC remains high on my list of priorities. The first Ori is one of my favourite games of the generation, even though I generally hate indie platformers.

But if I had to pick one winning move from Microsoft this gen, its Gamepass. K even played a ton of the latest Forza game, something I hadnt done since the 360 days.

Best memories will be playing Gears and Halo with my wife. Nothing beats couch co-op, and it's tragic that it's so poorly supported.

I've left most of this years releases for the Series X, just like I've done with PlayStation. With that said, I wish there'd been more first party amazement. Sony sets a high bar. Microsoft aren't doing the same thing, but inevitably they're judged by the standard of the market leader.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Cuphead is amazing. I promised not to cry while playing Ori...I failed. Gears 5 is awesome but I'm not really a Gears multiplayer fan so I didn't stick with it. Same goes with Forza. just not really a racing fan. MCC is a must have. So glad I own it on disc. I buy every halo save for the twin stick shooters. Rise of the Tomb Raider still feels to me like the best of the 3 games Squenix released. Multiplayer reminded me of Uncharted 4's multiplayer. I tried hard but could not get into Sea of Thieves. Thinking maybe my friends suck. Ashen was great but will never be Dark Souls. The game reminds me of Absolver in terms of art style, which I thought was really cool.

Side note: Play Absolver if you want a really deep kung fu game. It's simplistic yet it difficult to master and the battles are super satisfying. Even has a co-op aspect to it that is really fun as well. It's awesome seeing what kind of fighting styles my friends came up with and then test my kung fu vs. theirs.

Roberts

I tried hard but could not get into Sea of Thieves. Thinking maybe my friends suck. Ashen was great but will never be Dark Souls.

Yeah, it is important who you play Sea of Thieves with. Had to try it out with quite a number of friends before we settled on a team who could enjoy it. again, I think it is a great game, but I'm actually surprised that it was/is that popular. Not for everybody.

Obviously, Ashen is no Dark Souls, but it made me understand the genre better. Maybe because it is easier to get into.

Top Bottom