• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for complete chronological list of NES/Famicom/FDS games

I'm looking for a list of every NES/Famicom/FDS game, sorted by release date. I'm mainly interested in official releases, but unlicensed games would be nice too. I don't really care about betas or prototypes.

Wikipedia's Famicom game list has release dates, so I can use that, but Wikipedia's NES list only gives the year of release, which isn't very helpful. On nesplayer.com I found a PDF, supposedly from nintendo.com, that has NES release dates to the month, which is close enough for me, but that's a PDF and it'll be a pain to put that in some format where I can sort it by date.

That PDF and Wikipedia's Famicom release list will work if there isn't something better available--but I feel like there must be, it's just that I'm not finding it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

jooey said:
Nice resource, thanks. But it doesn't include NES games, so it doesn't really offer any significant advantages over Wikipedia's sortable Famicom release list.

delume said:
Been looking for an opportunity mention Chrontendo.
I know Chrontendo, it's a very cool blog. But unless I'm missing something, it doesn't have a complete list of the games, which is specifically what I'm looking for.

But A for effort, thank you.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
I don't think you'll be able to find a comprehensive U.S. release list. Japan was diligent about chronicling release dates, but the best you can find for a lot of U.S. releases of that era is a month, sometimes just a season or year. There's not even a full consensus on the exact date the NES itself launched, let alone something like Captain Comic.

Game releases back then didn't have advertised street dates, and you had to ask your retailer to get on the "waiting list" for the game or system you wanted. Then they'd call you up when they got a shipment, the timing of which varied by region of the country and by store. It was an uncoordinated, ill-documented mess. This persisted all the way until the release of the N64, with the advent of the Internet becoming widely accessible and retailers changing from waiting lists to pre-orders.

The only way to get exact dates would be for NOA to publish the information from the likely-defunct warehouse database. It might even exist in paper form, or not at all. Even if we had exact dates, they'd be fairly meaningless given the sporadic and uneven nature of shipments.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
goldenenergy said:
Nice resource, thanks. But it doesn't include NES games, so it doesn't really offer any significant advantages over Wikipedia's sortable Famicom release list.

I know Chrontendo, it's a very cool blog. But unless I'm missing something, it doesn't have a complete list of the games, which is specifically what I'm looking for.

But A for effort, thank you.
a website is not always a one-stop shop. have you tried The Google?

jooey said:
a website is not always a one-stop shop. have you tried The Google?
Look, I appreciate your willingness to help, but seriously guy, get fucked. Of course I tried Google, why else would I be here?

Also, thanks Cheesemeister and ToastyFrog (is that you, Parish?) for the info.

Top Bottom