• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for some good games for a 7 year old for GCN

Suggestions.

I was looking at picking up Vietiful Joe, Pikman 2, Spiderman 2, maybe some Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm getting hime 3 or 4 games so I just wanted to know if you all had something else that I could suggest. He likes pretty much anything action and adventure so just let me know.

WarPig

Smash Brothers would be a great choice, especially if he's got friends over to play with.

Super Mario Sunshine seems kind of complex in theory, but I gather it goes over really well with younger players.

DFS.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
HAHA KIDDIE

Seriously.

Super Monkey Ball is fun for kids. Maybe that Kirby racing game too.

mosaic

go eat paint
Viewtiful Joe may actually be too hard for a 7 year old... but I heartily agree with Super Monkey Ball.

Also, Donkey Konga - next week. What young child doesn't like banging on drums and clapping their hands? Hell, a videogame that encourages a kid to be noisy is like giving crack to Marion Berry. He'll promise his first teenage girlfriend to you and you'll even like playing it too.

Tabs

You almost can't go wrong, but my niece and nephew love:
- Tak and the Power of JuJu, Smash Brothers, Kirby's Air Ride, Sonic Collection, and Pokemon.

Phoenix

Super Monkey Ball may get frustrating for a 7 year old, but Sunshine (as much as I hate it) is very in tune with that demographic. Its unchallenging enough to keep a 7 year old entertained for hours.

Coen

Luigi's Mansion. It might takes some time to get used to the controls, but it's a great game for the kids. I really think Gothcha Force is great for them too, if you can find it. Simple controls, awesome in multiplayer and a nice, if bit simplistic, single player. Should be cheap, too.

I was thinking Luigi's Mansion. When we first got it when he was 5 it was a little too challenging for him so we took it back but, I think now he may be up to it. The thing I love about young kids is that they they don't play a game to "beat" it, or "master" it, or "finish" it. They play to play it. It entertains me for hours when they find a new move or some item or a secret room. You can't beat the sense of accomplishment that you can tell they feel.

AniHawk

Get the kid Animal Crossing, unlock all the NES games, and you're set to go.

And P90, Metroid Prime? What the hell are you thinking?

Ristamar

I agree with mosaic. VJ might be a little tough for him. I thought it was fine, but a lot of people whined about the difficulty.

SSB:Melee is probably the best choice if he's got friends to play with frequently.

Gazunta

244186.jpg

Oh and definitely SMS.

Edit: And Sonic Mega Collection? You gotta teach the kid some history.

I went with

Super Monkey Ball
Luigi's Mansion
Mega Man Command Missions (he seems to love this the best)
He got SpiderMan 2 and Vietiful Joe for his birthday from his mom so I was cool there.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Deg said:
SMB wont interest kids.

How do you figure? Marble Madness was my favorite arcade game when I was 7, and that's arguably harder than Monkey Ball. Not to mention other difficult games like Spy Hunter, Paperboy, Robotron, TRON, Peter Pack-Rat, etc.

I think people tend to lose sight of exactly what kids are capable of. I was heavily into C64 games at age 7, had finished many of them and loved having fierce battles of Spy vs. Spy, Mail Order Monsters and other games against my brother. In fact, I often go back and play my favorite classics now, and get my ass kicked in places that I know I was a master at when I was 6, 7, 8 years old. I've actually gotten worse with age!

Top Bottom