• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking forward to PlayStation's newest racing IP on the PS5

daninthemix

I'm looking forward to that too, and then its developer getting shuttered and it getting delisted a few years later. I'm looking forward to all those things.

magnumpy

racing games are a perfect fit for VR. generally just forward motion so no motion sickness, it would be great on PS5 with PSVR2 B)

MDSLKTR

Expecting only a GT7 with GTS online service.
Dreaming of an open world Motorstorm.
But all we'll get in the end will be a playstation all star karting.

V4skunk

Banned
Tbh GT Sport has been fresh air for a saga which was stalling IMHO, Polyphony Digital took a huge risk but I think it was the right thing to do
GT Sport was a failure at launch because it centered around the FIA championship with minimal gameplay content like singleplayer, cars and tracks.
It has been through the monthly content patches that they only just managed to pull it round.
GT Sport is very different game now compared to its first 18 months. Much more content and cars.

Perrott

Gold Member
I really
really really
really really really
want Japanese games on the Ps5. The Ps4 exclusives were all western games I had no interest in outside like 3 games.

And no whatever Square does doesn't count anymore.
Japan Studio is currently working on several PS5 games, and some of them could possibly be the biggest projects in the studio's history.

First we've got a game that the studio's producers like to define as an "ambitious title". We are talking about a high-budget new IP that has been in development for a while now (Shu first teased this project at E3 2015) and it's being directed by Tsutomu Kouno (TLOD, ICO, LocoRoco). The game is pushing for a more photorealistic art style and it's rumored to be a sci-fi RPG. The team has been hiring like crazy for this title.

Then there is Keiichiro Toyama (Silent Hill, Siren, Gravity Daze), who got his new action adventure IP axed in 2018 and, after meeting with fans at various Siren events last year, now seems to be working on a new horror title since he stated that he'll be coming back to his roots.

Takamitsu Iijima (Ape Escape series, Knack series) said to 4Gamer in december of 2017 that it'll be time for he and his team to plant new seeds, but with all these rumors about Ape Escape 4 (from reddit user RuthenicCookie, aka the one who leaked that Sony won't be attending to E3 and PS5's small reveal last april) and the way in which Shu has been teasing Ape Escape fans regarding the 25th anniversary of the series, who knows if Iijima decided to postpone his ideas for a new IP in order to come back to Ape Escape.

Asobi! Team (Astro Bot) is probably working on new PSVR titles, while Gavin Moore (Puppeteer) is still messing around with weird concepts and ideas for new games.

And finally, we've come to the last project that we're going to discuss today: a partnership between Japan Studio and MediaVision to bring back Wild Arms in a big way. The rumor comes from reddit user DasVergeben, who has successfully leaked a ton of info about multiple japanese games during the last couple of years. Apparently, the game has been in development since 2017~ and during the last year, the studio has increased their staff count from 99 to 132.

I've also seen images of a futuristic-looking FPS in which you play as a robot and what it looks to be a third person medieval/fantasy action game, both related to Japan Studio projects.

mortal

Gold Member
Takamitsu Iijima (Ape Escape series, Knack series) said to 4Gamer in december of 2017 that it'll be time for he and his team to plant new seeds, but with all these rumors about Ape Escape 4 (from reddit user RuthenicCookie, aka the one who leaked that Sony won't be attending to E3 and PS5's small reveal last april) and the way in which Shu has been teasing Ape Escape fans regarding the 25th anniversary of the series, who knows if Iijima decided to postpone his ideas for a new IP in order to come back to Ape Escape.
Don't you dare toy with my heart!

CJY

Banned
USing gt’s ultra great models for a single game all generation feels like a waste. id love for there to be a GT Horizon, utilizing GT models. It’s obviously taking a page out of ms’s playbook but a good idea is a good idea. Polyphony could even directly choose their partner studio. I dunno who I’d elect though

hunthunt

Banned
We just need a Gran Turismo 7 with a proper Arcade mode just like the older ones, no ranking bullshit, nor online crap, just the classic dumb ass IA with 100 cars to choose and a shit ton of tracks with some cool eurobeat to move the head while we crash in every turn against the rivals until we are in P1.

Malcolm9

For me I'd love to see a new Ridge Racer, no boosting, just pure racing and crazy powerslides.

GT Sport will undoubtedly be ported to the PS5 as well.

Wonko_C

racing games are a perfect fit for VR. generally just forward motion so no motion sickness, it would be great on PS5 with PSVR2 B)
it certainly feels like everything is open world third person action and FPS now, (even though it's really not.)

VR feels like the perfect opportunity to bring about the revival of genre diversity: Platformers, racers, shoot 'em ups, puzzlers, brawlers, fantasy sports, RPGs, arcade action games, rhythm, and even new ones.

DonF

Give the success of forza horizon, I would love to see sony try to tackle that kind of racer.

Gran Turismo for simulation and motorstorm for horizon like off road, open gameplay.

Quixz

Sony desperately needs an answer to the Horizon games or sign and LOCK TestDrive as an exclusive for the entirety of next gen 🤣

Ian Henry

Japan Studio is currently working on several PS5 games, and some of them could possibly be the biggest projects in the studio's history.

First we've got a game that the studio's producers like to define as an "ambitious title". We are talking about a high-budget new IP that has been in development for a while now (Shu first teased this project at E3 2015) and it's being directed by Tsutomu Kouno (TLOD, ICO, LocoRoco). The game is pushing for a more photorealistic art style and it's rumored to be a sci-fi RPG. The team has been hiring like crazy for this title.

Then there is Keiichiro Toyama (Silent Hill, Siren, Gravity Daze), who got his new action adventure IP axed in 2018 and, after meeting with fans at various Siren events last year, now seems to be working on a new horror title since he stated that he'll be coming back to his roots.

Asobi! Team (Astro Bot) is probably working on new PSVR titles, while Gavin Moore (Puppeteer) is still messing around with weird concepts and ideas for new games.

And finally, we've come to the last project that we're going to discuss today: a partnership between Japan Studio and MediaVision to bring back Wild Arms in a big way. The rumor comes from reddit user DasVergeben, who has successfully leaked a ton of info about multiple japanese games during the last couple of years. Apparently, the game has been in development since 2017~ and during the last year, the studio has increased their staff count from 99 to 132.

I've also seen images of a futuristic-looking FPS in which you play as a robot and what it looks to be a third person medieval/fantasy action game, both related to Japan Studio projects.
Don't call it a comeback, JAPAN Studio been around for years. They're about to be in a revitalization period, and it's going to be glorious.

yurinka

The current gen they closed Evolution and SCEE Liverpool and Gran Turismo seems to be in bad shape compared to how it performed with the past. I loved the Wipeout and Motorstorm series but I highly doubt they would bet for the racing genre in PS5.

Soon R8 Games is going to release Pacer in PS4, XBO and PC. It's basically a brand new Wipeout made by mostly ex-Wipeout devs that looks amazing. This title is a highly improved and expanded version of Formula Fusion, a PC game they developed thanks to a crowdfunding that is amazing.

I'd love to see that Pacer performs well and Sony asks them to do a next gen brand new Wipeout or a Wipeout Alpha Collection, something like Omega but remaking Wipeout 1, Wipeout 2097, Wip3out Special Edition and the remaining tracks from games like Wipeout Pure or Pulse that weren't included in Omega Fusion. But sadly I find that very unlikely because they won't make a big bet on a genre that they know it doesn't sell well outside Mario Kart, Forza, Need for Speed or Gran Turismo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom