• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking forward to PlayStation's newest racing IP on the PS5

I don't know about the rest of you but something that's always intrigued me about PlayStation over the years have been the new racing IPs they introduce every console generation. And while games like Jet Moto, Kinetica, MotorStorm and Driveclub rarely make their way to other PlayStation platforms, with the exception of MotorStorm: Arctic Edge on the PS2 and PSP and Driveclub VR on PS VR, I feel that a new exclusive racing game is arguably one of the best ways to showcase an early look at the power of a next generation console - the sense of speed mixed with highly-detailed textures, improved lighting and various other rendering techniques (of which the latest seems to be real-time ray tracing).

But what direction should SIE take with a new racing IP on the PS5? Should it be a racing game set in the near or far future or something a little more contemporary like Gran Turismo? Or should it be like MotorStorm with an emphasis on dangerous racing, managing your boost, and vehicle class dictating the best routes to victory?

Personally, I want to see hoverbikes make a return but also have them race alongside cars and trucks utilizing the same hover technology. And I think it would be interesting to see race tracks that are at times fully futuristic but also have some race tracks set in long abandoned cities or towns or even islands. I don't really know how else to describe it but I always thought Jet Moto and MotorStorm were some of PlayStation's coolest racing IPs. It helped set PlayStation apart from Xbox and Nintendo.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Is there a credible rumour about this? Sony has one racing property and that is the dull GT franchise. If you want kart, buy nintendo, everything else go microsoft.

But in my imaginary world, where sony made games that i liked, Driveclub 2. Or maybe an open world street racing game, sorta gtaiv driving physics with the crew 1 cross country framework.

Reactions: Isa

Fox Mulder

I sadly don't think there will be one. They'll at best just have GT7 around launch if PD is up to it.

Sony had great racing studios, but got rid of Evolution Studios recently and closed Studio Liverpool in like 2012.

Last edited:
I sadly don't think there will be one. They'll at best just have GT7 around launch if PD is up to it.

Sony had great racing studios, but got rid of Evolution Studios recently and closed Studio Liverpool in like 2012.
No, I'm aware of the closures but we don't really know what PS5 games are being developed. Gran Turismo 7 is a safe bet though.

Last edited:

Chromata

I'd like to see a futuristic racer that's higher budget and much bigger than wipeout. I had fun with Driveclub and Forza Horizon but there have been so many modern racers lately.

It would be really cool to have a game like the racing sections of Ready Player One (imo the best part of the film).

Poordevil

I always liked Need For Speed : Porsche Unleashed. It was on PC. Would love a remake or even a remaster on PS5. For me it hit that sweet spot between arcade and simulation. The tracks were beautiful too, alpine roads, oceanside views, European towns. And just about every Porsche was represented. Started out with classic Porsche's from the 1950s and worked your way up through more recent models. Fun driving / racing game!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Doubtful.

Gamers seem to be happy with GT (or Forza), and the occasional NFS, off-road, or motorcycle game. And maybe one Ridge Racer or Wipeout per generation now. That's it.

When annual game churner EA decides to cut back NFS from annual sequel to every 2-3 years, you know something is up with the genre.

Aside from any big time car nuts, I don't think racers on even on most top 10 most wanted games lists for most gamers.

Last edited:
OP I had the weirdest thoughts regarding a racing game last night. I literally couldn't sleep! It was a scifi futuristic racing game. If you (or anyone at all) is interested I can make a write up later on.

Perrott

Gold Member
1512684265943.jpg

Birdo

Banned
I'd love more racers, but Sony got burned badly by DriveClub's initial failure.

I really can't see them making another first-party racer other than GT.

Isa

I get the excitement but I think this time there won't be any racing games showing off the launch quite like before save for a GT experience. Unfortunately since they've axed those studios, it seems they are more interested in big selling titles and letting the 3rd parties publish the odds and ends like indie Wipeout clones and kart racers. I wish Sony would bring back the diversity of prior generations. I loved ATV Offroad Racing on PS2, and Motorstorm on PS3. Obviously there were plenty of others, with Driveclub being my last played and fondly remembered racing game by them.

sublimit

Banned
More than any other racer i'm looking forward to a proper GT that has nothing to do with that e-sports bullshit. It has been too long.

psygn0sis

I get the excitement but I think this time there won't be any racing games showing off the launch quite like before save for a GT experience. Unfortunately since they've axed those studios, it seems they are more interested in big selling titles and letting the 3rd parties publish the odds and ends like indie Wipeout clones and kart racers. I wish Sony would bring back the diversity of prior generations. I loved ATV Offroad Racing on PS2, and Motorstorm on PS3. Obviously there were plenty of others, with Driveclub being my last played and fondly remembered racing game by them.

This, this and this!

• Praise the Sun

Weilthain

Banned
add a meaty single player campaign to gran tourismo, keep improve and add to the online modes, include the old cup progression/single player modes from past games, have all the cars from all games, all the tracks from all the games and new tracks.

That would be great but I don’t think they’ll do that

Last edited:

psygn0sis

add a meaty single player campaign to gran tourismo, keep improve and add to the online modes, include the old cup progression/single player modes from past games, have all the cars from all games, all the tracks from all the games and new tracks.

That would be great but I don’t think they’ll do that

GT is a light sim, I think OP wants something more arcade-y just like MotorStorm or Driveclub ;)

GreatnessRD

I'd love more racers, but Sony got burned badly by DriveClub's initial failure.

I really can't see them making another first-party racer other than GT.
Who's to blame for that? As Driveclub winded up being pretty decent after the inital disaster.

Weilthain

Banned
GT is a light sim, I think OP wants something more arcade-y just like MotorStorm or Driveclub ;)
Ok I got it. Make a racing game with the content of my hypothetical gran tourismo, but with arcade controls. If that is too boring, add rockets or banana skins.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everything is rumor at this point but I would be shocked if there wasn’t a new racing IP next gem

Zannegan

I think, traditionally, racing games headlined each gen because--with their controlled environments, predictable player movement, and close-up, non-human player "character"--it is one of the easiest genres to push towards photorealism.

After this gen though, you're going to come up against diminishing returns pretty hard. Sure, you can pretty up the environments, but how much time is spent looking at those not at speed? You can add better lighting/reflections through ray tracing, but with all the facsimiles and effects for realtime lighting, I doubt most folks will notice.

I'm not saying they shouldn't make a new AAA racing game--it's a huge genre and fans will be hyped for even subtle visual improvements. I just don't think a next-gen racing game would have the same impact as in past generations, in terms of selling customers on the visual capabilities of the console.

A Motorstorm game would probably be your best bet to stand out though. You could even make it an (ugh) battle royale.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I really
really really
really really really
want Japanese games on the Ps5. The Ps4 exclusives were all western games I had no interest in outside like 3 games.

And no whatever Square does doesn't count anymore.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Having a PC and having access to the best racers is the only option now if you want to go PS5 only. Don’t see Sony spending the money trying to compete with Horizon they have their winning game formula.

Would say they need to invest in a single FPS before another racer since there’s actually 0 of those.

lynux3

After watching the FIA GT Championship, I can't wait to see what next-gen Gran Turismo looks like. I miss MotorStorm though... one of my favorite racing games.

Do a favour to the world, put a big money sack on Evolution Studios reborn and give us a proper Driveclub 2 much more refined, without all the issues who almost killed the First one, more cars, more modes, a single player badass career and more of everything

Let me dream please 😢

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
A new racing IP is coming, that's for sure...….People forget that any of the SWWS studios can take up a racing game.....Studio Japan, Guerilla, San Diego, Team Astro, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch.. etc...….

What makes you think they'll get one? Racing games aren't the big sellers they used to be, unless they're franchise names like GT and Forza. And I don't think even those are doing as well as they used to. But, they do have really dedicated communities that'll support them with DLC, kinda like with some fighting games (SFV, Tekken etc.).

Most of the new racing IPs are either on mobile or arcades. I'd love a port of SEGA World Drivers Championship to PS4 or next-gen systems, but it probably won't happen. Some of the Raw Thrills racers also look fun but I don't think they'll get ports, either. Namco said they were gonna think about a Ridge Racer remake or sequel, let's hope they got something planned for the next PS and Xbox.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'd like a big first party arcade racer as well. Motorstorm was def missed this gen. I know Evolution are dead but there is still plenty of British talent floating around (the Brits make brilliant Racing games) and Sony could easily recruit some talent to work on a new Motorstorm or a similar IP for next gen.

Wipeout Omega Collection is a brilliant game but Wipeout always felt like more of a futuristic kart racer to me.

Trackmania Turbo is also a really good game that is under appreciated but that's more of a time attack game rather than a racer against other opponents.

mortal

Gold Member
I really
really really
really really really
want Japanese games on the Ps5. The Ps4 exclusives were all western games I had no interest in outside like 3 games.

And no whatever Square does doesn't count anymore.
It would be wonderful if Sony forms or acquires more Japanese studios for their first party lineup.

Top Bottom