• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking to Upgrade to 4K on Black Friday? Here's the best deals I could find.

bomblord1

Banned
Since a lot of you are asking for deals on high end sets can you give me a few models I should look out for? I'll go back through the ads and see what I can find and then add them to the OP.

coopolon

Since a lot of you are asking for deals on high end sets can you give me a few models I should look out for? I'll go back through the ads and see what I can find and then add them to the OP.

the samsung ks8000s are far and away the most popular. best buy and costco (who has slightly different model number) has the 55 inch for around 1000 and the 65 inch for around 1500.

Bestbuy is selling this LG for $399 right now as a part of their Black Friday early purchase thing.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-50-c...-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5622527.p?skuId=5622527

50UH5530

My friend picked it up and says it has HDR Pro..whatever that means? The OS seems decent/snappy from vids he had shown me.

The fact that I can't find much about the TV online though makes me a lil suspicious though. Today's the last day for it so I'm trying to do as much research as I can. If this is good, I'd love to get it to avoid a black friday rush. xD

bomblord1

Banned
By Popular demand I'm adding 2 more price brackets to my sets. I'll post it here and then add it to the OP. These are still of course on sale and much cheaper than at least the ad claims their normal price to be.

Because of the higher price I'm making a point to check out at least 1 review of these TV's and it has to be positive. If I can't find a review or the reviews were not positive I won't post it so if you are wondering why a random set you seen in an ad is not here that's why. I'm still not guaranteeing quality or a full feature set but I was able to find at least 1 relatively positive (non-consumer) review.

First is the "middle of the road" sets($400-$800).

HHGregg
Samsung 50" 4K HDR $399.99
compressed_j4ztuyj8486x.jpg

HHGregg $799.99
LG UH7700 55" (note the review I found of this said "exceptionally good for gaming" although it wasn't incredibly specific)

Target $697.99
Samsung 6300 Smart Ultra HDTV

"High-End" sets ($800+)
Once again not promising anything except at least 1 positive review

BestBuy $899
Sony X850D - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range

BestBuy $997
Samsung KS8000 - 55" Class - (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV - with High Dynamic Range - Silver

HHGregg $899.99
Sony X850D 55"

HHGregg $999.99
Samsung KS8000 55"

HHGregg $1299.99
LG UH8500 55"

Sevenfold

Wow UK here and I can't get anywhere remotely near those Sammy prices. Deals galore there. Go nuts USGAF. You deserve it!

Sweet, a $29 soundbar. I don't need anything fancy, may grab that.

Edit*

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, get the 4k Hisense with HDR that is low priced even before Black Friday. It's probably the #1 "cheap" 4k TV performance wise. Switch that bad boy to game mode and you're set.

No reason to buy these "BF" specific TVs.

Rtings shows that the hdr on hisense isnt good and the input lag for gaming isnt that great either. For that price range the ku series has the highest rating for input lag but only supports hdr pro. If you look at the input lag list on rtings, the ku6300 i think is in the top 13, which is better than a lot of tvs that cost much more.

Afrikan

Try to search for 4K TVs that support HDR10 (10 bit panel)

find the Cheapest one...and go from there.

The Sony one that has it's own thread on GAF is $625 I believe...

try to find the equivalent to that from Samsung, LG (Led), or anyother manufacturer.

this is a list from September

A compiled list of 4K UHD TVs that support HDR 10 technology for those.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...rYx6PfHUTrLi_IxMQ&sig2=E7XZrnIDeFS3iBXJSTC3xQ

edit- some of the lower LG and Samsung listed doesn't really do HDR10. :/

At this point with two big events coming up, unless you are desperate to replace the just broken TV in your living room I'd wait.

CES in January 2017 will introduce all the new models. Even if they are priced outrageously (and most will be) it will start clearance of the 2016 models.

Second of course is Superbowl weekend, TVs historically go on deep discounts then especially last years models. Sometimes you can find better than black friday deals for good TVs.

Keep in mind many black friday TV deals are specifically manufactured for black friday, using cheaper parts and done that way so people can't price match, comparison shop (different model numbers), etc. I am just not a big fan of buying a TV on black friday, the smarter consumer can get better deals year round.

For example this year there have been two standout deals: the Samsung KS8000 series from EPP (samsung employee pricing), dead now unfortunately. Also the LG OLEDs were sold on Adorama 2-3 weeks ago for $1499, which is an insane price for an OLED. Both sets still have minor issues with HDR and gaming mode, I'm expecting a big update to HDR at CES 2017 as well.

5taquitos

Bestbuy is selling this LG for $399 right now as a part of their Black Friday early purchase thing.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-50-c...-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5622527.p?skuId=5622527

50UH5530

My friend picked it up and says it has HDR Pro..whatever that means? The OS seems decent/snappy from vids he had shown me.

The fact that I can't find much about the TV online though makes me a lil suspicious though. Today's the last day for it so I'm trying to do as much research as I can. If this is good, I'd love to get it to avoid a black friday rush. xD

There's nothing in the specs, details, or description that mentions HDR, so I'd let that one go.

bomblord1

Banned
Try to search for 4K TVs that support HDR10 (10 bit panel)

find the Cheapest one...and go from there.

The Sony one that has it's own thread on GAF is $625 I believe...

try to find the equivalent to that from Samsung, LG (Led), or anyother manufacturer.

this is a list from September

A compiled list of 4K UHD TVs that support HDR 10 technology for those.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...rYx6PfHUTrLi_IxMQ&sig2=E7XZrnIDeFS3iBXJSTC3xQ

There's a couple of those on my revised list. I was able to find one more and source a review though thanks

ViciousDS

Banned
what the best "top of the line" type deal? I don't mind spending more money is all I'm saying.

KS8000 for $997

It's what I'm going for since I missed out on employee pricing earlier this month

It's the best gaming HDR TV......for picture you would want a LG B6 OLED. However you sacrifice quite a bit in the input lag department

Jarnet87

Was at a bestbuy and almost caved on buying the 49" ks8000. If my bedroom was a little bigger I would have made the move, now I might just wait until Super Bowl. I am stuck in this place between wanting to upgrade from my 32 inch 1080p lcd to just something a little bigger, and spending more for something that has some future proofing to it.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
At this point with two big events coming up, unless you are desperate to replace the just broken TV in your living room I'd wait.

CES in January 2017 will introduce all the new models. Even if they are priced outrageously (and most will be) it will start clearance of the 2016 models.

Second of course is Superbowl weekend, TVs historically go on deep discounts then especially last years models. Sometimes you can find better than black friday deals for good TVs.

Keep in mind many black friday TV deals are specifically manufactured for black friday, using cheaper parts and done that way so people can't price match, comparison shop (different model numbers), etc. I am just not a big fan of buying a TV on black friday, the smarter consumer can get better deals year round.

For example this year there have been two standout deals: the Samsung KS8000 series from EPP (samsung employee pricing), dead now unfortunately. Also the LG OLEDs were sold on Adorama 2-3 weeks ago for $1499, which is an insane price for an OLED. Both sets still have minor issues with HDR and gaming mode, I'm expecting a big update to HDR at CES 2017 as well.
When do most of the TVs announced at CES actually become available though?

Ashhong

Some of those tvs say with HDR some don't. I was under the impression all had HDR now...is this not the case? Do the ones that don't specifically say HDR not have it?

Tjamato88

Which of these sets under $500 is best for gaming? Do any of those have HDR?

I'm looking to get a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV but want to make sure I'm getting a good TV.

Afrikan

There's a couple of those on my revised list. I was able to find one more and source a review though thanks

I'm sorry I looked into it more and even though they accept HDR10 they don't benefit from a wide color.

like that cheapest LG and Samsung listed there.

stupid TV manufacturers with their confusing shit. :/

Gotta do more research.

RedAssedApe

Banned
tvs are so cheap now. make me feel like i got ripped off on my kuro lol (yes i know...a different time and what you get for buying "high-end")

Lkr

Some of those tvs say with HDR some don't. I was under the impression all had HDR now...is this not the case? Do the ones that don't specifically say HDR not have it?

HDR is a premium feature you're gonna pay more for, not all TVs have it

RedAssedApe

Banned

correct. if it doesn't explicitly say hdr or ULTRA HD PREMIUM (i believe that's the advertising name some are using for 4K+HDR) then it generally means its a cheaper model and doesn't support HDR.

some TVs didn't have HDR at launch and had some level of support patched in later though.

Afrikan

Yep, until then my Sony 900A is doing fine.

Looking forward to seeing how PS4 Pro looks on it. the W900a has SOOOOO Much potential beyond what it supports right now..that I hope the Pro could show alittle more of what it can do.

there is an Official thread for it at Avsforums and recently someone brought up an attachment that might be beneficial to it. HDFury something.

Afrikan

It's not a tue 10 bit panel......but it's close enough

It's 8bit + FRC

did rtings get it wrong?

Color Depth Show Help : 10 Bit
The Sony X800D has a good 10 bit panel but it is not perfect. You can see see on our test picture that there is some small banding in the dark blue, dark green and also in the grayscale.

Update 09/08/2016: Our original test was showing an incorrect color depth of 8 bit due to some incorrect drivers on our system, but after some correction to our test apparatus, we tested again the color depth and we can confirm that the Sony X800D does in fact have an 10 bit panel.

correct. if it doesn't explicitly say hdr or ULTRA HD PREMIUM (i believe that's the advertising name some are using for 4K+HDR) then it generally means its a cheaper model and doesn't support HDR.

some TVs didn't have HDR at launch and had some level of support patched in later though.

Some tvs will state hdr, but its not hdr premium. Some tvs can accept a hdr signal but without wcg it wont be as good as hdr premium tvs due to wcg and nit level.

Top Bottom