• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking to Upgrade to 4K on Black Friday? Here's the best deals I could find.

bill0527

I shall remain strong until after CES 2017.

Let me climb in this boat with you. I'm going to need a lifejacket though in case I fall off.

What's helping me hold off is the fact that my fucking Onkyo receiver I purchased just 2 years ago does not do HDCP 2.2 and won't pass through HDR. So that means I'll need to be replacing my receiver also and I don't really have the money to replace my receiver and get a good 4k HDR TV right now.

jax

Banned
So do any of these work fully with the PS4? In other words, what's the cheapest PS4 Pro compatible device. (HDR, high refresh, etc)

I have the Hisense 55h8c television. After calibration the picture in this thing is incredible. The TV also has hdr after a software update, Forza horizon 3 look incredible on this set.

I keep reading this online too. Excellent picture for the money. Does it do HDR with the One S?

So do any of these work fully with the PS4? In other words, what's the cheapest PS4 Pro compatible device. (HDR, high refresh, etc)

Pretty much all tvs will work, but its up to you on how much you want to spend on 10bit, wcg, and high nits. Any uhd tv is compatible, but it doesnt mean you will have the best hdr.

jax

Banned
Pretty much all tvs will work, but its up to you on how much you want to spend on 10bit, wcg, and high nits. Any uhd tv is compatible, but it doesnt mean you will have the best hdr.
I guess I meant what is the cheapest option that does it all? I wouldn't want a 4K unless it could actually do everything for both the Pro and my PC.

I guess I meant what is the cheapest option that does it all? I wouldn't want a 4K unless it could actually do everything for both the Pro and my PC.

Well its hard to say because PQ is subjective. What looks bad to me might look good to you. It really comes down to how picky you are with PQ. If you check out the hdr pspro threads, some people dont even like the look of hdr for games. i think the cheapest option for a good panel with hdr for gaming is the ks8000, i think the 50inch is like 1,000, but you can get something thats 4-500 that will accept hdr information and remap it to the rec 709 colorspace. It will still look good, but not as good as the more expensive model.

I've gamed on 3 4k tvs that cost 1,000 or less. The ks8000, which is pretty awesome, the ku6300 (my buddy picked up a 55inch from amazon warehouse with a 2 year warranty for $420, and gaming looked great and input lag is the same as the ks8000, and a hisense h8c 50inch which was around the same price as the 55inch ku6300. The hisense was the worse when it came to gaming due to the higher input lag, but PQ for movies was about the same as the ku6300. For hdr movies, the ks8000 was better than them both.

Edit: you would also need to consider if you're going to be watching directly in front of the tv, or from the sides, because some tvs look worse when viewing at an angle. For example, tonight I'll be going to a friend's house to watch the ufc fight. Im going early to get a good seat on the couch, so i dont have to sit in one of the seats on the side because the tv will appear a little washed out when watching from the side.

These prices i listed are based on previous deals, not black friday prices.

I took a look at the 1st post and at target a 50inch hisense is $250, but it doesnt tell you if its the h8c, or the h7.
Target also has the 50inch ku6300 for $400, but like i said, my friend got the 55inch model from amazon warehouse with a 2 year warranty for $20 more.

Norse

That Costco advert has some good deals. The suhd Samsung's are ks8000 equivalents Costco sells. And the Vizio sets with the hdr are the M series sets. Not as good as P series but still very good bang for your buck.

Also looks like the suhd Sammy ks8000 ones actually go on sale starting Nov 13th.

Tempting. Or can wait till super bowl sale

ZOONAMI

According to rtings it does a bad job with hdr and doesnt have wcg, so it only meets rec 709 color space.

According to rtings it hardly does a bad job with hdr. I don't see how a 7.0 hdr score for movies and 7.5 for games is bad.

Color gamut is not only rec 709 after the hdr update. Not as high as some other sets on dci or rec 2020, but still it's a 10-bit panel and hdr has a dramatic effect with colors and contrast.

ZOONAMI

That Costco advert has some good deals. The suhd Samsung's are ks8000 equivalents Costco sells. And the Vizio sets with the hdr are the M series sets. Not as good as P series but still very good bang for your buck.

Also looks like the suhd Sammy ks8000 ones actually go on sale starting Nov 13th.

M series vizio only had hdr on 1 hdmi input, so it's pretty limited.

According to rtings it hardly does a bad job with hdr. I don't see how a 7.0 hdr score for movies and 7.5 for games is bad.

Color gamut is not only rec 709 after the hdr update. Not as high as some other sets on dci or rec 2020, but still it's a 10-bit panel and hdr has a dramatic effect with colors and contrast.

10 bit and wcg are not the same thing, and this tv is still rec 709. They retested with updated firmware, but it still shows "NO" for wcg. As far as the hdr movie rating, "Slightly below average HDR performance. Can't get very bright highlights or display a wider range of colors. Local dimming doesn't work well to improve dark scene performance. Picture quality is good. " I still said the PQ isnt bad, i specifically talked about the hdr in movies, which is below average.

It's possible that they did not update everything in the catagories, but i also have experience with all those 3 tvs i talked about in my other post. Movies looked really good , pretty much the same as the ku6300, but the ks8000 looked like it was on another level when it came to HDR. I will admit, i should not of used the word "bad job" because the PQ is still very nice.

This is the video we downloaded to test on the tvs. http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=153

jax

Banned
Well its hard to say because PQ is subjective. What looks bad to me might look good to you. It really comes down to how picky you are with PQ. If you check out the hdr pspro threads, some people dont even like the look of hdr for games. i think the cheapest option for a good panel with hdr for gaming is the ks8000, i think the 50inch is like 1,000, but you can get something thats 4-500 that will accept hdr information and remap it to the rec 709 colorspace. It will still look good, but not as good as the more expensive model.

I've gamed on 3 4k tvs that cost 1,000 or less. The ks8000, which is pretty awesome, the ku6300 (my buddy picked up a 55inch from amazon warehouse with a 2 year warranty for $420, and gaming looked great and input lag is the same as the ks8000, and a hisense h8c 50inch which was around the same price as the 55inch ku6300. The hisense was the worse when it came to gaming due to the higher input lag, but PQ for movies was about the same as the ku6300. For hdr movies, the ks8000 was better than them both.

Edit: you would also need to consider if you're going to be watching directly in front of the tv, or from the sides, because some tvs look worse when viewing at an angle. For example, tonight I'll be going to a friend's house to watch the ufc fight. Im going early to get a good seat on the couch, so i dont have to sit in one of the seats on the side because the tv will appear a little washed out when watching from the side.

These prices i listed are based on previous deals, not black friday prices.

I took a look at the 1st post and at target a 50inch hisense is $250, but it doesnt tell you if its the h8c, or the h7.
Target also has the 50inch ku6300 for $400, but like i said, my friend got the 55inch model from amazon warehouse with a 2 year warranty for $20 more.
This post was incredibly informative! Thank you! Now I have more of an idea of what to look out for. :)

bomblord1

Banned

I agree they look pretty good but since Costco doesn't give any indication of a model number I didn't think it would be a good idea to post them in anything but the sub $400 category as I couldn't verify they were what they looked like.

I attempted to search by the item number given but all that did was take me to Costco's website that showed the exact same info with no model number

ZOONAMI

10 bit and wcg are not the same thing, and this tv is still rec 709. They retested with updated firmware, but it still shows "NO" for wcg. As far as the hdr movie rating, "Slightly below average HDR performance. Can't get very bright highlights or display a wider range of colors. Local dimming doesn't work well to improve dark scene performance. Picture quality is good. " I still said the PQ isnt bad, i specifically talked about the hdr in movies, which is below average.

It's possible that they did not update everything in the catagories, but i also have experience with all those 3 tvs i talked about in my other post. Movies looked really good , pretty much the same as the ku6300, but the ks8000 looked like it was on another level when it came to HDR. I will admit, i should not of used the word "bad job" because the PQ is still very nice.

This is the video we downloaded to test on the tvs. http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=153

80-86% of dci is not only rec 709. It's quite close to the 90% recommended for the ultra hd premium standard, as the hd guru review points out.

It does better than am lg uh7700 and is pretty damn close to a vizio p series.

Rtings is not the ultimate authority on if something has a wide color gamut.

They are taking a 50% and 50% composite score of dci and rec 2020, if a set doesn't hit 7.5 or better they claim it doesn't have a wcg, and only supports 709, which is very misleading.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/wide-color-gamut-rec-709-dci-p3-rec-2020?uxtv=e0df

jasonspeed

Neo Member
Samsung 65KS8000 down to lowest price I've seen through Employer Discount Program. $1079.99 - 65", $854.99 - 60", $729.99 - 55", $674.99 - 49" http://imgur.com/a/dGRqu

dGRqu

Jaxec

Finally bought a PS4 Pro and really want a good 4K tv for it. I was planning to buy the 65" Samsung KS8000 at Best Buy on Black Friday, but don't think I can go that high on the price. If only it were around $1000. Gonna have to settle for 55". :(

Edit: Just saw the above comment. How would one go about getting it?

Geneijin

80-86% of dci is not only rec 709. It's quite close to the 90% recommended for the ultra hd premium standard, as the hd guru review points out.

It does better than am lg uh7700 and is pretty damn close to a vizio p series.

Rtings is not the ultimate authority on if something has a wide color gamut.

They are taking a 50% and 50% composite score of dci and rec 2020, if a set doesn't hit 7.5 or better they claim it doesn't have a wcg, and only supports 709, which is very misleading.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/wide-color-gamut-rec-709-dci-p3-rec-2020?uxtv=e0df
It still doesn't support WCG. HDMI UHD Color affects Bit-depth, not WCG. So even if the KU6300 is capable of more colors, it's useless if the hardware can't enable it for Rec. 2020 (or DCI-P3 within a Rec. 2020 container). KU6300, however, can accept a Rec. 2020 header.

The KS8000 labels WCG as Color Space in TV settings.

ZOONAMI

It still doesn't support WCG. HDMI UHD Color affects Bit-depth, not WCG. So even if the KU6300 is capable of more colors, it's useless if the hardware can't enable it for Rec. 2020 (or DCI-P3 within a Rec. 2020 container). KU6300, however, can accept a Rec. 2020 header.

The KS8000 labels WCG as Color Space in TV settings.

A uh7700 has 3 different color spaces in its settings as well and is better than rec 709, and rtings says no for wcg. It supports dolby vision even.

Just because a set doesn't hit 90% of dci doesn't mean it doesn't have a wider color space than rec 709.

If it doesn't hit 7.5 on rtings scale they just say it doesn't have a wcg.

Rtings scoring of 25% dci xy 25% dci uv 25% 2020 xy and 25% 2020 uv frankly is not the authority on whether or not a set has a wcg.

Just because a set does not meet the UHD premium spec for wcg of 90% dci p3 does not mean it isn't utilizing a wider color gamut than rec 709.

Geneijin

A uh7700 has 3 different color spaces in its settings as well and is better than rec 709, and rtings says no for wcg. It supports dolby vision even.

Just because a set doesn't hit 90% of dci doesn't mean it doesn't have a wider color space than rec 709.

If it doesn't hit 7.5 on rtings scale they just say it doesn't have a wcg.

Rtings scoring of 25% dci xy 25% dci uv 25% 2020 xy and 25% 2020 uv frankly is not the authority on whether or not a set has a wcg.

Just because a set does not meet the UHD premium spec for wcg of 90% dci p3 does not mean it isn't utilizing a wider color gamut than rec 709.
I know what DCI-P3 is.

With that said, I agree with you. I didn't realize until now how rtings grades WCG capability. DCI-P3 and Rec. 2020 coverage is perfectly understandable, but if there's no option for WCG like the Samsung JU6300, it should mean that. Not if it doesn't fulfill a certain ambiguous requirement they don't divulge in their grading standards. It's incredibly stupid the way they have it right now. I'd post on their website about this, but they block all U.S. IPs from posting a question...

With the 'Wide Color Gamut' test, we only check for two things:

Whether a TV has a wide color gamut option
Whether that option improves coverage of the wide color gamuts

The actual coverage is not evaluated or considered when performing that test. However, that test is also not considered in the scoring for the color gamut category; 50% of the score is assigned to DCI P3 coverage, and 50% to Rec 2020 coverage. The J6300's greater coverage does grant it a higher score in this category.

shandy706

According to rtings it does a bad job with hdr and doesnt have wcg, so it only meets rec 709 color space.

I paid like $260 shipped for my 55" Hisense weeks ago in a random sale I ran across. It is one of the top rated "budget" sets. I can tell you from experience it has very little lag in gaming mode. Rtngs doesn't give it bad scores, they give it high/above average scores.

It does suffer from lag in anything other than gaming mode, but that's why you can change all the settings on it, lol. It has a great image for pocket change level $$$ for movies.

For $260 it was an absolute steal!! ;)

PS. I even use it as my gaming "monitor/tv" for my PC. That's the place I tested the lag/input delay. Massive difference in mouse movement between cinema settings and game mode. I tested it out the second I had it set up.

ghibli99

Which of these sets under $500 is best for gaming? Do any of those have HDR?

I'm looking to get a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV but want to make sure I'm getting a good TV.
I don't know about under $500... I think the lowest you should go is the X800D if you're looking for something smaller. It's a little pricier for the size ($650 for the 43"), but it doesn't have RGBW, and has a WCG that covers almost all of the DCI-P3 color space for HDR that isn't garbage. Things will get better next year, but if you don't want something bigger like the KS8000 or LG OLEDs, this is probably as good as you're going to do at the moment.

ZOONAMI

I paid like $260 shipped for my 55" Hisense weeks ago in a random sale I ran across. It is one of the top rated "budget" sets. I can tell you from experience it has very little lag in gaming mode. Rtngs doesn't give it bad scores, they give it high/above average scores.

It does suffer from lag in anything other than gaming mode, but that's why you can change all the settings on it, lol. It has a great image for pocket change level $$$ for movies.

For $260 it was an absolute steal!! ;)

PS. I even use it as my gaming "monitor/tv" for my PC. That's the place I tested the lag/input delay. Massive difference in mouse movement between cinema settings and game mode. I tested it out the second I had it set up.

What!? You got a 55h8c for $260? Where? I just paid almost double that!

The Samsung ks8000s are great tvs.

The SUHD Samsungs listed at Costco are ks8000s with a different colored bezel ks800d model #.

It seems like the 55 inch models will be in the $999 area. That's a really nice tv for that price.

So between the Hisense 50inch 4k and the Samsung 50 inch 4k that Target has on their BF sale is the difference on PQ worth the $150 dollars? Or will it be good for basic 4K Netflix viewing and future Scorpio 4k gaming? I plan to keep this purchase for at least 3 years.

bomblord1

Banned
So between the Hisense 50inch 4k and the Samsung 50 inch 4k that Target has on their BF sale is the difference on PQ worth the $150 dollars? Or will it be good for basic 4K Netflix viewing and future Scorpio 4k gaming? I plan to keep this purchase for at least 3 years.

If you can afford it I would personally go with the more name brand Samsung. I personally don't know much about Hisense but their TV's all look to be getting middling to low reviews from what I could find.

All up to your budget when it comes down to it though.

Swindle

Banned
The main thing you guys want to look for is 120hz. Especially if your playing games. Or else they usually judder images. And be careful of Trumotion, Efficient Effect next to the 120hz. That's marketing mumbo jumbo telling you it's really 60hz.

They both look pretty good with 4k content. I am sensitive to input lag, so i would recommend the samsung. If you are not sensitive to input lag then both tvs are good for the price.

bomblord1

Banned
Just a heads up you can use this coupon (or promo code BLACKFRIDAY) to get an additional 15% off of any of the HHGREGG sets putting them as some of the best deals available

Coupon http://hhgregg.scene7.com/is/image/hhgregg/11222016%2D11262016%2Dbf%2Dinstore%2Dcoupon?$pdfDownload2$

That *should* bring the Samsung KS8000 to $849.15. However I'm having issues getting to apply to the cart when I try it.

Top Bottom