• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like all digital PSP / PSone games work on Vita now [Not Anymore]

legacyzero

Banned
awwwww yyyyissssss

as someone who missed a HUGE portion of the PS1 era (outside crash, tomb raider and alundra 2) recommend me some PSX/PSP classics.

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and XI. Xenogears. And Vagrant Story. Pretty much anything by Squaresoft

Is Valkyria chronicles 2 worth it?

Until we get an official localization of VC3 that's playable on an unmodded Vita, hell yeah. I mean, I'd recommend VC3 over VC2 any day, but VC2 has that one major advantage.

Anyway, the moment of truth for tomorrow shall be interesting. That said, I'm half sure that Shuhei "not knowing" about this probably has to do with how poorly the tweet was worded to him. Didn't even state the word Vita in it, so.

jackal27

Banned
Until we get an official localization of VC3 that's playable on an unmodded Vita, hell yeah. I mean, I'd recommend VC3 over VC2 any day, but VC2 has that one major advantage.

Anyway, the moment of truth for tomorrow shall be interesting. That said, I'm half sure that Shuhei "not knowing" about this probably has to do with how poorly the tweet was worded to him. Didn't even state the word Vita in it, so.

What's the moment of truth tomorrow? Please tell me it's not a sale or something since I just bought a VC2 hahaha.

I just got my Vita the other day and one of the first games I downloaded was Capcom Classics Reloaded. People said I would need to push it through the PS3 but it was just sitting there waiting to be downloaded on my Vita, thought that was weird.

Does the Midway classics collection work now?

CLEEK

How do PSP games look on the Vita? Is there some sort of weird upscaling or anything?

The PSP's native resolution is 480 × 272, where as the Vita's native res is 960 × 544.

So the Vita is exactly 4x the res of the PSP, meaning there isn't any upscaling/blurring. Each PSP pixel becomes 4 Vita pixels, giving a wonderfully clean image.

It can be jarring going from native Vita games to PSP ones, especially with the low res UI and text in PSP games. But the games themselves have never looked better.

btkadams

I forget how it worked. Which portable ops is the one to buy? I remember one of them being redundant because of a shutdown online mode or something.

Ty4on

How do PSP games look on the Vita? Is there some sort of weird upscaling or anything?
Nope! The vita screen can display them perfectly or upscale them thanks it having four pixels for every PSP pixel. The screen should also be better (never owned a PSP) and battery life playing PSP games is something like 10 hours on the Vita. Did I mention you could map the right analog to the dpad as well? :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Do PSP games with online components work on the Vita? I'm thinking of picking up SF Alpha 3 Max if there's online play.

What's the moment of truth tomorrow? Please tell me it's not a sale or something since I just bought a VC2 hahaha.

Perhaps I didn't word that as well as I meant to.

I mean if the games suddenly download-enabled will appear on Vita's store or suddenly no longer be able to download directly on Vita like before.

And either way, don't worry. If you have a PS3, you can just transfer VC2 by wire to your Vita.

FireCloud

Does this include minis? I want to get that Pac-man championship edition.

Yes. Just downloaded Hungry Giraffe which I could have sworn didn't work before.

Edit: and thanks SmokeyDave for reminding me about THEXDER NEO. I had forgotten about it being in my download list.

So, now I can play, natively on my Vita:

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Plus, I can play Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeros and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain through Remote Play. If Sony were to make Guns of the Patriots and Rising available on PlayStation Now, you could play the entire franchise on a Vita!

YEEEESSSS!!!!

Also, don't forget FFI-X/2

(^____^)

$h@d0w

Bought Peace Walker Demo Ops on my account but it gives an error "could not download C0-14478-4" when I try to download it on my Vita via the download list.

BadWolf

I forget how it worked. Which portable ops is the one to buy? I remember one of them being redundant because of a shutdown online mode or something.

Just the regular one, Portable Ops Plus was the expansion that was released later with the online iirc.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Pretty sure online and ad hoc works. I remember a pic of someone playing on the Vita against someone on a PSP.

I'd love confirmation. This would basically be the HD re-release of Alpha 3 that I've always wanted.

WTF that game was compatible a long time ago and it only has ad-hoc/ no online. Cmon dude.

I.. didn't know? Why would any of that be obvious? The description lists an online tournament mode.

I'd love confirmation. This would basically be the HD re-release of Alpha 3 that I've always wanted.

Yes, I can confirm ad-hoc and online works. I play the Capcom games through ad-hoc with my nephew Vita-to-PSP all the time. I've also connected to online in various games as well.

Did anyone else get Pocket Fighter (PSone) wiped from there download list? I'm staring at my email receipt from when I purchased it but it's not showing up. Also, when I go to the game's page on the store, it says "Add To Cart" instead of "Download". :(

jackal27

Banned
You guys I just love my Vita so muuuuuch... I was such a Nintendo handheld purist for so many years and I'm so glad I took the dive on this little guy.

You are blowing my mind right now. The Vita was definitely worth the purchase for these two series alone.

If Sony's marketing department would get their shit together and just find a way to specifically market this… this sheer insanity of back-catalog that's playable all on one damn device

CLEEK

Did anyone else get Pocket Fighter (PSone) wiped from there download list? I'm staring at my email receipt from when I purchased it but it's not showing up. Also, when I go to the game's page on the store, it says "Add To Cart" instead of "Download". :(

Don't know if its related, but Pocket Fighter was always a weird one, in that it was only ever PS3 compilable. As far as I know, it was the only PS1 game that didn't work on PSP.

Don't know if its related, but Pocket Fighter was always a weird one, in that it was only ever PS3 compilable. As far as I know, it was the only PS1 game that didn't work on PSP.

Yeah, I was wondering if it was related to this. I guess I better call them... Ugh.

jackal27

Banned
If Sony's marketing department would get their shit together and just find a way to specifically market this… this sheer insanity of back-catalog that's playable all on one damn device

Imagine that ad. "I've always wanted to try out the Metal Gear series, but I don't want to buy all these old consoles..." *EXPLOSIONS* Vita bursts on the screen along with box art of every Metal Gear game up to 4.

Kolma

I have a huge feeling a Vita TV for NA announcement is right around the corner stating it will play all your PSP, PS VIta and PS1 games.
That could be a HUGE selling point

Namikaze

Good stuff, will put MGS1, VR Missions, and Valkyria Chronicles 2 on my Vita later tonight! I'm sad that IREM games got removed from PSN though (and my download list)...would love Hammerin Hero on Vita. One of the reasons I still love having physical copies of games, just in case.

AmanoBuff

Completely agree. My Vita is easily my favorite gaming console of all time. It's like having 6 consoles in 1! (PSone and PSP games, PS2 and PS3 ports, indies and native Vita games).

Do PSP games with online components work on the Vita? I'm thinking of picking up SF Alpha 3 Max if there's online play.

Depends if the servers are still up I think. I bought field commander last year and the servers were closed. I emailed SOE about it and they were cool enough to turn them back on. :D

Need a thread to detail just the compilation sets. I want to maximize my money and space with as many compilation sets as possible.

Top Bottom