• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Bioshock demo is out on PSN EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Oni Jazar said:
Damn that sucks that the port was so bad, but at least now I don't have to download 2Gb for a demo.

Downloading a 1.8 gig demo isn't really a hardship, why don't you decide for yourself before committing yourself to deciding 'that the port was so bad' without even playing it.

RpgN

65536 said:
[*]Can only select easy/medium difficulties in the demo. (could also play hard on 360)

Huh? The demo let's you choose out of 4 difficulty level from the start. Are we playing the same demo here?

And I don't know how people are disappointed with the port. Granted, I haven't tried any other versions but I think it looks gorgeous, especially at the start.

jett

D-Member
This game looks kinda dated, the gameplay is all right...to be honest I think FPSs aren't really my thing. I didn't see what all the fuss was about, anyway.

Evlar

Banned
jett said:
This game looks kinda dated, the gameplay is all right...to be honest I think FPSs aren't really my thing. I didn't see what all the fuss was about, anyway.
For me the fuss was about a compelling and chilling gameworld. The lore was intriguing (though obviously hacked from Objectivism) and the gameplay was, all in all, mediocre.

Elios83

RpgN said:
Huh? The demo let's you choose out of 4 difficulty level from the start. Are we playing the same demo here?

And I don't know how people are disappointed with the port. Granted, I haven't tried any other versions but I think it looks gorgeous, especially at the start.

The game is really good, it's like the PC version in high settings, I really don't know what a few people were expecting ;)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Metalic Sand said:
Seems the water is downgraded, Its the only thing i noticed. The lighting seems better but im on HDMI with the PS3.

really? are you talking about the water you swim through or the very beginning intro?

in the water you swim through it looked good IMO.

okrim

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
Seems the water is downgraded, Its the only thing i noticed. The lighting seems better but im on HDMI with the PS3.
The water is the only effect are the same...

itxaka

Defeatist
RpgN said:
Granted, I haven't tried any other versions but I think it looks gorgeous, especially at the start.

Best game moment for this gen for me. Staying there thinking is still a cut scene only to realize that you are already playing is awesome.

Banned
RpgN said:
I don't think you can actually select the two harder difficulties on PS3.

RpgN said:
The framerate is really inconsistent, and absolutely terrible when compared to the 360 version.

The overall look of the game is the same, and it does indeed look very nice. It's brighter which will make some bits look better and others worse, but it seems it's not looking as good technically, with people reporting that the textures have been downgraded. (I'll wait for a proper comparison before making a judgement on that)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
65536 said:
I'd say it lost its impact on my setup, as the PS3 version is brighter.
I always wondered why don't people who mention this kind of thing don't callibrate PS3 video input on the TV a bit different than what they do with X360? I know some devs go to lengts to ensure the same exact gamma range though, so I guess in that case you'd get screwed and end up with too dark image on PS3. But still, you can dedicate one of the image adjustment modes for this. Most TVs have that Vivid/Normal/Movie/Custom setting where you can edit them all to your liking and then use with a touch of a button.

okrim

Banned
65536 said:

The framerate is really inconsistent, and absolutely terrible when compared to the 360 version.

The overall look of the game is the same, and it does indeed look very nice. It's brighter which will make some bits look better and others worse, but it seems it's not looking as good technically, with people reporting that the textures have been downgraded. (I'll wait for a proper comparison before making a judgement on that)
The framerate are worse, no doubt, but inconsistent and absolutely terrible not sure. Assassin's Creed or GTA IV for example are worse. And the textures not everyone are downgraded, at the begin are the same. It's during the play someone are worse, but not all. And 360 porting too has some texture terrible don't forget it (in minor quantity but are there)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well If I'm being honest if it wasn't for the frame-rate issues I think this would be an excellent port considering, being a port it was never going going to be exactly the same, hopefully they will have a v-sync option in the final version.

Keikoku

Banned
okrim said:
The framerate are worse, no doubt, but inconsistent and absolutely terrible not sure. And the textures not everyone are downgraded, at the begin are the same. It's during the play someone are worse, but not all. And 360 porting too has some texture terrible don't forget it (in minor quantity but are there)

wat

Nizz

Evlar said:
Since Bioshock uses a modified/customized version of UT3 they may have chosen not to utilize the engine as it has been optimized by Epic, and ported the game from an earlier build more compatible with Bioshock 360/PC.

Just a guess, I don't work with these things professionally.

EDIT: ^^ OR it isn't running UE3. :lol

65536 said:
Bioshock is UE2.5 isn't it?

I guess that would explain it. But still, why not ask Sony or Epic for help with the latest version of the engine? I don't get it, man....

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Damn, looks like it'll be the 360 version for me. Oh well, it'll save me $30 to buy it used somewhere. I'll still do my own comparison, but Gaf is usually right about this stuff.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
fps fanatic said:
I guess that would explain it. But still, why not ask Sony or Epic for help with the latest version of the engine? I don't get it, man....
Bioshock does use UE3 (it was originally based on the previous Unreal engine, but they ditched it during development). It's not some UE2.5 variant, though I suspect they implemented plenty of unique features to suit their needs. I'd imagine they DID NOT take advantage of the optimizations Epic made to the UE3 engine for PS3, however, as that would probably require more work than they would have liked for a port.

Banned
okrim said:
The framerate are worse, no doubt, but inconsistent and absolutely terrible not sure. Assassin's Creed or GTA IV for example are worse. And the textures not everyone are downgraded, at the begin are the same. It's during the play someone are worse, but not all. And 360 porting too has some texture terrible don't forget it (in minor quantity but are there)
You can probably find games on PS3 that have worse framerates than Assassin's Creed and GTA IV as well, but it doesn't make their framerates good, only better. It was disappointing to see slowdown from the very beginning of the demo, and an inconsistent framerate throughout.

lowrider007 said:
Well If I'm being honest if it wasn't for the frame-rate issues I think this would be an excellent port considering, being a port it was never going going to be exactly the same, hopefully they will have a v-sync option in the final version.
I don't really see the point in the v-sync option on PS3 if it's struggling to hit 30fps.

It was an option on the 360 because it was pretty much locked to 30fps, and if you disabled v-sync it would run even better than that—even approaching 60fps in places.

If you have the option of playing it on a good PC or 360 and have been waiting to see how this turned out—definitely get it for one of them. (why didn't you have it already‽)

If you only have a PS3, it's probably not bad enough to avoid the game, but it would be a big annoyance for me if I had to play through it like that.

Jim

dark10x said:
Bioshock does use UE3 (it was originally based on the previous Unreal engine, but they ditched it during development). It's not some UE2.5 variant, though I suspect they implemented plenty of unique features to suit their needs. I'd imagine they DID NOT take advantage of the optimizations Epic made to the UE3 engine for PS3, however, as that would probably require more work than they would have liked for a port.

Bioshock runs on UE2.5 with the UE3 renderer I'm pretty sure. Definitely a hybrid.

Nizz

dark10x said:
So, and sad to say, this looks like a classic case of "lol, lazy PS3 port" again? In 2008 no less. A shame with all those credited devs for the game. Like I said before, I still want to try the demo to see for myself, but now I'm expecting the worse. :(

Forsete

jett said:

Thought the same.. I was like "Uh, this game hasn't aged very well"
Played the PC version before, so maybe its because of that.

BeeDog

You'd figure Sony would at least help out a bit seeing as how much they pimped this fucking game on their blog and whatnot. You think getting a port of a game really late, with it being graphically inferior, will give you street creds?

At the very least make it on par with the original version.

RpgN

Elios83 said:
The game is really good, it's like the PC version in high settings, I really don't know what a few people were expecting ;)

Well I can't compare it with past versions, but it's indeed pretty. Aaand I'm loving the game so far :D

itxaka said:
Best game moment for this gen for me. Staying there thinking is still a cut scene only to realize that you are already playing is awesome.

Same here. I especially liked the scene where a little sister was killed and I was trapped. I wanted to help her, but I couldn't :( And story is really interesting. Some monsters I just don't want to kill, because I heard them talking...Yet they keep on attacking! The full game will be full with these moments, right?

65536 said:

Well, I didn't try all 4 of them out. But they were there? So, you can see them put not select them in the demo version?

65536 said:

Today 07:07 PM

I see. I'm not technical person...But I know when a game is very pretty and do enjoy that :D Maybe it was the overal atmosphere that impressed me about the demo?

dark10x

Jim said:
Bioshock runs on UE2.5 with the UE3 renderer I'm pretty sure. Definitely a hybrid.
Do you have any information on this? It has always been a source of confusion. I know they were originally building the game around a variant of the engine used in Tribes Vengeance and switched during development. I had thought it was built around UE3, but perhaps they are using some strange hybrid. It certainly did feel a bit different from your average UE3 title (it was also one of the few not to employ data streaming between levels).

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
drakesfortune said:
Damn, looks like it'll be the 360 version for me. Oh well, it'll save me $30 to buy it used somewhere. I'll still do my own comparison, but Gaf is usually right about this stuff.

:lol

you waited this long to make that decision? People who have a 360 should have bought Bioshock along time ago.

Jesus @ the nitpicking.

Anyway, I played through the game on the PC last year in DX10 and I thought it looked great on the PS3, considering the PS3's hardware. There was one moment of slowdown that I noticed, but it wasn't that serious at all (just below 30), and lasted for perhaps two seconds. If this is commonplace in the retail game - who gives a shit. It's not detrimental to the gameplay at all.

Anyone that missed this game on the PC or 360 will do fine with this port.
I'll be picking it up later this year, too many other games to purchase first lol

Banned
RpgN said:
I see. I'm not technical person...But I know when a game is very pretty and do enjoy that :D Maybe it was the overal atmosphere that impressed me about the demo?
It's definitely a case where, if you haven't seen the game running on 360 (or PC I suppose) you probably won't notice/care.

It looked fine to me aside from the framerate, but I did just run through it quickly to see where the demo finished, as someone had made it sound like it was a bigger demo than the 360 one. (and it was plausible given that it's 500mb larger)

When I played through it on the 360 for the first time, I went through it really slowly, taking in all the little details—some of that may have been lost in the translation, but the overall world is the same, and that's what was so good about the game.

Jim

dark10x said:
Do you have any information on this? It has always been a source of confusion. I know they were originally building the game around a variant of the engine used in Tribes Vengeance and switched during development. I had thought it was built around UE3, but perhaps they are using some strange hybrid. It certainly did feel a bit different from your average UE3 title (it was also one of the few not to employ data streaming between levels).

Even though in the end it was claimed that it "took advantage" of Unreal Engine 3 (as the sort of official statement even in the case studies), it seems to be the consensus among UE devs that it was a 2.5/3 hybrid of some sort.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Forsete said:
Thought the same.. I was like "Uh, this game hasn't aged very well"
Played the PC version before, so maybe its because of that.
I think the whole shiny look the engine is great at, was suited well for the art direction in this game. Perhaps better than anywhere else actually.

BeeDog said:
You'd figure Sony would at least help out a bit seeing as how much they pimped this fucking game on their blog and whatnot. You think getting a port of a game really late, with it being graphically inferior, will give you street creds?
It's an important game though, and it's actually surprising it was even ported this late after the original release.

Also, keep in mind that when 65536 talks about framerate, you're listening to a guy who can't stand 24FPS frame judder when playing movies on TVs with 60Hz refresh. That's how anal he is about that kind of thing.

okrim

Banned
Keikoku said:
This:

22082007-2.JPG

All textures are not beautiful on 360 too.

Banned
okrim said:
Looks like someone has been playing around with that image and it was initially supposed to be quite dark. (so you wouldn't see the lower resolution texture)

Just look at how bright the HUD is there.

EDIT: Wait… that looks like the section in the demo right from when you come up the stairs.

That has been manipulated to ridiculous levels. :lol

It doesn't even look like the 360 version to me actually. (aspect ratio, HUD size in relation to the screen)

okrim

Banned
65536 said:
Looks like someone has been playing around with that image and it was initially supposed to be quite dark. (so you wouldn't see the lower resolution texture)

Just look at how bright the HUD is there.

EDIT: Wait… that looks like the section in the demo right from when you come up the stairs.

That has been manipulated to ridiculous levels. :lol
No. The pic is 360 version no manipulated; just brighter. The game is old, don't forget it.

Hmmm... I will have to try it and see for myself.

However, the winner/loser here is not PS3 versus 360 (Give it a rest guys its a year old port)...

The money battle here will be between DeadSpace and Bioshock which are competing for money in the span of the same WEEK.

If the port is notably "not there" for Bioshock I see more sales for Deadspace.

PuppetMaster said:
Played it. It is the first part of the game. It starts from the plane crash, ends after going into an elevator when you are supposed to go to the medical area.

Can't remap the controls. Fire is always on R2/L2. And I didn't like that Triangle is jump and X is use.
Lol @ at the control scheme.

dark10x

g35twinturbo said:
Nice way to turn this into a comparison thread folks.
What exactly is wrong with that?! I mean, the game is over 1 year old at this point. Comparison to other versions is precisely what this thread should be revolving around.

For those that have played it, the game has already been discussed in other threads. For those new to Bioshock, well, this is only the demo and there isn't much to talk about nor can I imagine any of those people wanting to read spoilerific discussions based on the full game.

What else could you talk about? Many people will want to know if this port is actually decent and comparisons are the most effective way to do this.

okrim said:
Broken English ftl.

Banned
okrim said:
No. The pic is 360 version no manipulated; just brighter. The game is old, don't forget it.
I've just loaded up the 360 demo there and it is the area I was thinking of.

1: No changes that you make can end up with the HUD looking as blown out as it does in that picture. (either a manipulated image, an over-exposed photo or both)
2: That area is supposed to be dark, lit only by some flames in the corner of the room.
3: People were saying that the textures on the PS3 version were downgraded over the 360 one, not that the 360 had amazing textures to begin with.
4: Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Paracelsus

You'd figure Sony would at least help out

Help to develop a year old port which has lost all meaning, sales-wise?

Hmm, not a smart decision, if you ask me.

how much they pimped this fucking game on their blog and whatnot

One thing is "a blog", boasting to the media about how awesome the port will be, about graphics on par if not better, is another.

If there's someone who deserves the finger of blame pointed at, is 2K.

BeeDog said:

At the very least make it on par with the original version.
The demo MIGHT be old since the majority of demos SCE and other publishers put out were builds dating back to around E3 (since that's when a demo was prepared). Some things like framerate get fixed in the full version (like the LBP beta was even dated). That's why I'll say to wait for retail impressions.

mileS

okrim said:

alright if you're going to be cranking the brightness way up at least cut the HUD out of the pic so its not obvious...

megafail confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom