• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Bioshock demo is out on PSN EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

itxaka

Defeatist
Downloading at home while i'm working.

Probably has better sound that the 360 version (uncompressed?) as the demos for the 360 was about 700Mb and this one is too big if it's the same.

Goldrusher

I'm waiting for a hopefully smaller US version of the demo and/or night time (when only half of what I download registers).
Bandwith cap.

Marconelly said:
1.8 GB size, has anyone tried it yet? Is it the same as the PC/X360 demo?

Played it. It is the first part of the game. It starts from the plane crash, ends after going into an elevator when you are supposed to go to the medical area.

Can't remap the controls. Fire is always on R2/L2. And I didn't like that Triangle is jump and X is use.

PuppetMaster said:
Played it. It is the first part of the game. It starts from the plane crash, ends after going into an elevator when you are supposed to go to the medical area.

Can't remap the controls. Fire is always on R2/L2. And I didn't like that Triangle is jump and X is use.

Uh, have any of these developers ever actually used a PS3 pad before??

Nizz

PuppetMaster said:

:( :( :( :( Not enough sad faces for that news right there. Triangle to jump? Really? WTF...

itxaka said:
Downloading at home while i'm working.

Probably has better sound that the 360 version (uncompressed?) as the demos for the 360 was about 700Mb and this one is too big if it's the same.
Bioshock demo was 1.3GB on 360.
It had a combat teaser video on the tail end of it though and I'm sure the same is true on PS3

Scotch

PuppetMaster said:

Fail. Even though I have those click-on Real Trigger thingies, I still prefer L1/R1 for shooting in PS3 games.

Anyway, will try right after PES :D

itxaka

Defeatist
_dementia said:
Bioshock demo was 1.3GB on 360.
It had a combat teaser video on the tail end of it though and I'm sure the same is true on PS3

Really? I thought it was about 700Mb. Ugh memory leak :)

Fake edit: Yep, you are rigth 1,3Gb. What the hell is with my memory?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Exactly the same as 360 demo? No changes gameplaywise?

PuppetMaster said:

Oh great. Five developers and they can't get it right.

Ah, probably the best demo I've ever played.

I still whip through it every now and then to show off to friends even though I finished the game.

ypo

PuppetMaster said:

Ugh seriously what's wrong with these developers? Give people options. It's not exactly difficult to implement. Not buying if this is the case with the retail version.

Neiteio

To the people who have played the Bioshock demo, how does it look visually? How does it sound? Are the controls responsive? And does the demo still end after a certain somebody gives you a warning? I just want to make sure it turned out all right.

The controller configuration does appear odd. I suppose there's always the chance they could patch custom controls in at some point down the road, similar to how they patched in new options like true widescreen for the 360 and PC versions. In the meanwhile, I think I'll adapt to using L2/R2 to use plasmids/weapons. All the Pure I've been playing lately might make the transition easier as I've learned the proper way to hold the DS3 when using R2 (simply grip the controller more near the tips of the handles, giving the index finger greater flexibility).

As for Triangle jumping and X using, that sounds about right. I don't know how it was on previous systems, but in all the videos I've seen there was more using than jumping. I suppose that in a tight situation you'll be priming R2 anyway and thus your finger will already be in the neighborhood of Triangle. I guess only some playtime will tell.

So, more impressions please. This is my most anticipated PS3 game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can someone comment a bit on how does it look and feel compared to other versions. Framerate and whatnot. Also, is there an option for 'true' widescreen? (that noone ended up liking :p )

I've downloaded and played the demo for a bit, and while it most certainly doesn't look bad or anything. It does have that grainy look most PS3 ports seem to have. It lacks a certain clarity, which the 360 version I played last year did have. Some framedrops here and there too, nothing dramatic. Just not as clean as the original.

There is a true widescreen option though, at least, you can unlock the horizontal FOV lock. And it looks like that gives you true widescreen.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
fps fanatic said:
:( :( :( :( Not enough sad faces for that news right there. Triangle to jump? Really? WTF...

The idea (on the 360 anyways) was to map the controls to the buttons in a somewhat logical manner. Triangle is jump as it's at the "top" of the four face buttons, the blue X button would inject you with EVE, and the red B button would inject you with health, while "A" was your general purpose interaction button.

And yes, it seems sort of silly that the decisions were kept for the port, if only because you lose that immediate affordance of what each button does.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
PuppetMaster said:

The R2/L2 is not a big deal... but triangle is jump ? thats real strange.
Probably on the retail version the buttons can be configured.If not... well lets start crying for a patch:D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Campster said:
And yes, it seems sort of silly that the decisions were kept for the port, if only because you lose that immediate affordance of what each button does.
Why do you think it's a problem? The physical positioning of buttons has the same layout, it makes sense in the same way. It's the same logic why Ico and SotC for example used triangle for jumping.

Fallout-NL said:
I've downloaded and played the demo for a bit, and while it most certainly doesn't look bad or anything. It does have that grainy look most PS3 ports seem to have. It lacks a certain clarity, which the 360 version I played last year did have.
Could it be your TV scaler vs. X360's scaler (PS3 outputs in 720p, TV upscales to 1370x768 or 1900x1080). I'm asking because I'm pretty sure both versions are 720p with no AA. Or are there actual texture downgrades or other such problems?

Elios83

Played a couple of times already.
The port is great, it runs like the PC version at the best settings textures and shaders wise, of course you can have much higher resolutions on PC so it can look better, frame rate is solid. The game automatically outputs at 1080i on my PS3. You have to select true widescreen in the options to abilitate it.
Controls are comfortable and precise to me (and I usually hate fps on consoles for the lack of mouse and keyboard). So overall, I guess it's great, I've played the PC version but I'll definetly buy this :D

Tycho_b

Elios83 said:
The port is great, it runs like the PC version at the best settings textures and shaders wise, of course you can have much higher resolutions on PC so it can look better, frame rate is solid. The game automatically outputs at 1080i on my PS3. You have to select true widescreen in the options to abilitate it.
Controls are comfortable and precise to me (and I usually hate fps on consoles for the lack of mouse and keyboard). So overall, I guess it's great, I've played the PC version but I'll definetly buy this :D

Is there an option to turn off v-sync ??

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Elios83 said:
The port is great, it runs like the PC version at the best settings textures and shaders wise
You should check and see if there's a trail behind you as you move through the water. It was one thing I noticed was added as an effect when using DX10 option for shaders in PC version.

Tr4nce

Holy effing shit, thanks for the heads up!! Whoa, 1.8 GB?? Sick.

Edit: BIG WTF. Can't find it on the Dutch store, and I'll say it again. The way things are categorised in the EU Store is shitty as hell.

-PXG-

Own it, played it and beat it on 360. Let's see how the PS3 version fairs...Let me just log into my UK account ;)

EDIT

Its up on the UK store. Dling now.

Elios83

Marconelly said:
You should check and see if there's a trail behind you as you move through the water. It was one thing I noticed was added as an effect when using DX10 option for shaders in PC version.

There's a white trail, the same you can see if you swim backwards, but I don't know if it's what you're referring to.

Is there an option to turn off v-sync ??

No, nothing like that in the demo.

Fallout-NL said:
I've downloaded and played the demo for a bit, and while it most certainly doesn't look bad or anything. It does have that grainy look most PS3 ports seem to have. It lacks a certain clarity, which the 360 version I played last year did have. Some framedrops here and there too, nothing dramatic. Just not as clean as the original.

There is a true widescreen option though, at least, you can unlock the horizontal FOV lock. And it looks like that gives you true widescreen.
there is no such thing as 'true widescreen'. bioshock was designed with a restrictive FOV on purpose. it was designed to be played in widescreen and was trailed and demoed in widescreen every step of the way. some people found it too restrictive which is fair enough. others, since the horizontal FOV was the same when running in 4:3 presumed it wasn't 'true widescreen' whatever that means. i guess harking back to when widescreen mode was often an afterthought and just lopped off the top and bottom of the screen.

in bioshock, it was designed to be widescreen and the 4:3 mode was an afterthought.

if you want to play it as the designers intended, leave the option alone. if you find it overly claustrophobic, then unlock the horizontal FOV. but don't unlock it because of how the 4:3 mode was implemented or because of some true widescreen bullshit.

bioshock is meant to be played at 16:9 with the FOV it has by default. they were kind enough to add the option for anyone that didn't like their decisions.

Goldrusher

Second said:
No PES09 and Bioshock demo here (Holland)
Yet Flanders has both.

In de spotlight -> items 2 and 3

PES 2009 - Pro Evolution Soccer - Demo (Speelbare)
BioShock Demo (Speelbare)

slider

Had a quick go on my PS3. Couldn't be bothered doing a comparison to the 360 version (it means unplugging a few power cables).

It looks a little dated. And there seem to be a few issues of framerate. And on one occasion I noticed some overly aggressive LOD.

But, crucially, handles ok (I have no issues with the controls) and the engaging storyline, zmazing atmosphere and spot-on art direction are present and correct. If you haven't played it before those are the things that should be most important to you. The points in my 2nd paragraph aren't show stoppers.

If anyone's really really interested I can fire up the 360 version too. I'd rather not though.

slider said:
Had a quick go on my PS3. Couldn't be bothered doing a comparison to the 360 version (it means unplugging a few power cables).

It looks a little dated. And there seem to be a few issues of framerate. And on one occasion I noticed some overly aggressive LOD.

But, crucially, handles ok (I have no issues with the controls) and the engaging storyline, zmazing atmosphere and spot-on art direction are present and correct. If you haven't played it before those are the things that should be most important to you. The points in my 2nd paragraph aren't show stoppers.

If anyone's really really interested I can fire up the 360 version too. I'd rather not though.
that lod problem is more than likely standard UE streaming issues which you can find in most every UE game on current gen consoles.

slider

Cool plagiarize. Consider my post as if made in a vacuum - like I said I didn't do a comparison to the 360.

As a final note, I've pre-ordered this sucker and have no regrets based on the demo.

Cheers.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Marconelly said:
Why do you think it's a problem? The physical positioning of buttons has the same layout, it makes sense in the same way. It's the same logic why Ico and SotC for example used triangle for jumping.

Well the triangle button makes sense, but you're losing the blue/red setup for the hypos.

It doesn't really matter; the control setup worked fine on the 360 and it'll work fine on the PS3.

En-ou

i dont think you guys need to worry much about triangle being jump. i'm in the middle of the second part (neptune something) and so far you hardly jump. just use it to climb over the odd obstacle here and there. you dont really jump in combat since your jump is pretty low.

itxaka

Defeatist
slider said:
Cool plagiarize. Consider my post as if made in a vacuum - like I said I didn't do a comparison to the 360.

As a final note, I've pre-ordered this sucker and have no regrets based on the demo.

Cheers.

You won't have, believe me. I'm even thinking on double-dipping. If only they had a LE with another Big Daddy figurine :_(

mittelos

En-ou said:
i dont think you guys need to worry much about triangle being jump. i'm in the middle of the second part (neptune something) and so far you hardly jump. just use it to climb over the odd obstacle here and there. you dont really jump in combat since your jump is pretty low.
Yeah, wanted to add that I don't remember doing much jumping when I played through last year on 360. There's really no need to jump best I recall. Sure there are times where you might want to jump down a flight of stairs rather than walking or running down them, something to that effect. But I don't remember jumping affecting combat at all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
En-ou said:

Yep. You def "use" more than "jump" in this game, so having the latter on Triangle and the former on X is fine.

As for the triggers... :/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Elios83 said:
There's a white trail, the same you can see if you swim backwards, but I don't know if it's what you're referring to.
Here's the difference I was talking about:

DX10 trails
bshockdx10waterzoom.png
bshockdx10waterzoom2.png

DX9 trails (also on X360 and probably PS3 ver):
dx9watercrop.png
dx9watercrop2.png

Campster said:
Well the triangle button makes sense, but you're losing the blue/red setup for the hypos.

It doesn't really matter; the control setup worked fine on the 360 and it'll work fine on the PS3.
I see what you mean, yeah. But it's not a big deal at all. They should have included the option to swap trigger buttons though, I know a lot of people prefer R1 for shooting.

plagiarize said:
there is no such thing as 'true widescreen'. bioshock was designed with a restrictive FOV on purpose. it was designed to be played in widescreen and was trailed and demoed in widescreen every step of the way. some people found it too restrictive which is fair enough. others, since the horizontal FOV was the same when running in 4:3 presumed it wasn't 'true widescreen' whatever that means. i guess harking back to when widescreen mode was often an afterthought and just lopped off the top and bottom of the screen.

in bioshock, it was designed to be widescreen and the 4:3 mode was an afterthought.

if you want to play it as the designers intended, leave the option alone. if you find it overly claustrophobic, then unlock the horizontal FOV. but don't unlock it because of how the 4:3 mode was implemented or because of some true widescreen bullshit.

bioshock is meant to be played at 16:9 with the FOV it has by default. they were kind enough to add the option for anyone that didn't like their decisions.

Bravo! ...well said!

Mine's downloading now

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
plagiarize said:

Quoted for truth!

I know a huge deal was made out of the whole FOV issue last year, but the original FOV is how the game was intended to be played. I do feel that changing this detracts from the experience a bit and also reveals too much of the players hands (which look ugly, IMO). It was nice of them to allow people to use a greater FOV if they found the original too restrictive, but I believe people only made an issue out of this as a result of the 4:3 option offering more vertical image (which didn't look great at all). It isn't uncommon for the 4:3 option to display more of a scene this gen. Developers are designing games in 16:9 and the FOV is tailored to it. The 4:3 aspect ratio, when present, generally displays the game in a way the developer did not originally intend (but allowed for the sake of playing the game in full screen on a 4:3 display).

dark10x said:
Quoted for truth!

I know a huge deal was made out of the whole FOV issue last year, but the original FOV is how the game was intended to be played. I do feel that changing this detracts from the experience a bit and also reveals too much of the players hands (which look ugly, IMO). It was nice of them to allow people to use a greater FOV if they found the original too restrictive, but I believe people only made an issue out of this as a result of the 4:3 option offering more vertical image (which didn't look great at all). It isn't uncommon for the 4:3 option to display more of a scene this gen. Developers are designing games in 16:9 and the FOV is tailored to it. The 4:3 aspect ratio, when present, generally displays the game in a way the developer did not originally intend (but allowed for the sake of playing the game in full screen on a 4:3 display).

haha....Yeah I always thought the player hand models weren't that great either and always left the FOV on :D

SetUhatU

Sweet - downloading now. Thanks for the heads up. This game has always intriqued me but I have never played it before. Hopefully they release it at a budget price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom