• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

looks like sony will stop making ps4 games by 2025

CosmicComet

The PS5 is such a limp dick console compared to 3 and 4.

Granted so is the Series X/S but at least it's an improvement over the Xbone.

This whole gen is off to a hobbled start. Cross-gen for years, slow software release schedule, slow event scheduling where we wait for months and months just for another shitty shovelware filled state of play.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Its like this, Sony is one of the few publishers that had current gen only games between Nov 2020 and June 2021.

(...they launched the PS5 with 2 current gen only games.......and had 2 more by June 2021....no matter how some try to dismiss the games)

They could have cross gen games until 2028, that doesnt mean there will be no current gen only games from Sony.

All that graph says is there definitely wont be any cross gen games in 2025. Anything else is speculation. With the way live services games was mentioned in this entire pdf....I would expect some GaaS/:ive service games to be cross gen.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

There is no reason to stop supporting the last gen in small projects and indie games. But for the AAA stuff, finally. Let it die already.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The PS5 is such a limp dick console compared to 3 and 4.

Granted so is the Series X/S but at least it's an improvement over the Xbone.

This whole gen is off to a hobbled start. Cross-gen for years, slow software release schedule, slow event scheduling where we wait for months and months just for another shitty shovelware filled state of play.
They're both improvements over their predecessors. Majorly in the I/O alone. Pound for pound exceeding the PC extraction layer bottleneck arena. Hence direct storage on cards.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Final Fantasy XVI may be cross gen as well, the last trailer they showed would easily run on a toaster PS4

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How is PS5 not an improvement over PS4 while XSX is an improvement over Xbox One?

They're both improvements over their predecessors. Majorly in the I/O alone. Pound for pound exceeding the PC extraction layer bottleneck arena. Hence direct storage on cards.
Honestly, one could stop reading that post after that, lol.

Have a preferred console, platform all day.

But at least try to live in reality.

samoilaaa

Final Fantasy XVI may be cross gen as well, the last trailer they showed would easily run on a toaster PS4
From FFXIV stream: They already well aware about the comments about Final Fantasy XVI's graphics. - Graphics are obviously not finalised. Still working on it. - Wanted to show footage representing the actual game instead of the usual type of reveal that is not (CG).

yurinka

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/05/looks-like-sony-will-stop-making-ps4-games-by-2025
"The PS4 has been so successful for Sony that it's been keeping the console going for longer than many expected. PS5 has been doing well, but it's clear that a vast majority of PlayStation's user base is still on the older hardware, and so the platform holder has been continuing to cater for those yet to make the jump. However, at some point, support will need to stop, and it appears as though the cut-off will be 2025 at the latest"
Could be FY2025 but also FY2023. An important thing from the graph is that there is no "PS5+PC" group, meaning they don't plan to release day one PS Studios games until at least FY 2026

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Honestly, one could stop reading that post after that, lol.

Have a preferred console, platform all day.

But at least try to live in reality.

Well.....we are talking about an analogy that started with the PS5 having a dick so.....

gym gf

Ghost of Tsushima 2 will probably be cross-gen.

In what world would this make sense outside of PS4 support being relegated to cloud streaming? You don't seriously believe GoT2 will be a cross-gen game, do you? C'mon.

I mean, that's certainly possible. But the whole model of GAAS suggests to me that probably all those games are going to be cross-gen. If your model is about player numbers and continued monetization it makes sense to include PS4, and PC and mobile and anything you can. And that's a large part of their upcoming focus.

Even with live-service and GaaS titles there is a cutoff point. At some point even the majority of late casuals will hop off of PS4 and either upgrade to PS5, get a laptop (basically going PC in some form) or go mobile.

If you want to innovate in a gaming space, even with GaaS/live-service games, you have to ditch certain baselines sooner rather than later. PS4 is a baseline even a lot of those games from Sony will drop, because the Jaguar CPU cores are just too limiting. Any PS4 support for most of those games will be via cloud streaming.

It's like expecting Overwatch 2, Warzone 2 etc. to come to PS4 and XBO; there is no point in native versions for those considering most of the core fanbase will be on newer systems, as will most of the casuals. The Switch is a different matter because it's still a product being actively produced and sold at large volumes in the marketplace, but depending on when the Switch 2 comes out games like those could very well ignore the Switch for any thing other than a cloud streaming solution, and focus on native support for Switch 2 (if they go to Switch 2 at all, but I think that's possible. Fortnite did, after all).

Great info, as they shouldnt left over 100m base alone, but why they will drop support in 2025 ? they shouldnt left this big player base alone even if there is already ps6 or ps7

Because at some point, you actually want the majority of customers to buy your new product, and old technology WILL hamper development sooner rather than later. Otherwise, we'd still be getting Ragnarok on PS2, and Starfield on the original Xbox.

Right, and again...there's no mention of 2023 and 2024.

We could try to base the graph on what happened in 2020 and 2021, and still I dont think we have enough info for PC and mobile gaming between that time, based on the graph.....

MLB has always been a cross gen game. LBP 3 was, Sack Boy is.

🤷‍♂️

But with their foray into GaaS, Live Service games..PS4 games in 2023 and 2024 is still a possibility.

Hell, when the ABK deal goes thru...CoD will still have a cross gen game so...

🤷‍♂️

I think the issue is what games specifically will be cross-gen. Some people seem to keep thinking the single-player, story-driven marquee games like Ghosts of Tsushima 2, TLOU Part 3, etc. will be cross-gen with PS4. Same for Spiderman 2 and Wolverine. At some point it just becomes a tad ridiculous; knowing how much those studios pride themselves on taking full advantage of current technologies, why would they force themselves to support a crappy GCN GPU and terrible Jaguar core architectures going into 2023 and onward? You can't genuinely make groundbreaking, pushing-the-envelope experiences that way, and that's what Sony's marquee 1P experiences tend to do.

The live-service/GaaS titles, or at least some of them, will probably be less ambitious and also aren't seen as marquee titles. They're the perfect type of game for reaching across different devices so PS4 versions of some of those would make more sense. Though I doubt it will be most of them, let alone all of them.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Hey no problem, but series S holds back next gen, didn't you hear? I mean this machine that's like 1/4 the power of the S won't hold back anything at all.

Crayon

They've always supported systems well past the next generation. It makes customers happy. Well, most customers.

yurinka

All that graph says is there definitely wont be any cross gen games in 2025. Anything else is speculation.
It also says still no "PS5+PC" games for FY2022 or FY2025, so no day one PC releases for PS Studios games. PC releases to continue being old (maybe not that old in the future, who knows) ports outside Bungie.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

How is PS5 not an improvement over PS4 while XSX is an improvement over Xbox One?
The PS5 release schedule is worse than the PS4's in the first two years by my estimation.

The PS4 was must own on the strength of Infamous, Bloodborne and Until Dawn alone and thus far I can't think of a single Sony game I would buy the console for.

Granted that will change if Ragnarok comes out this year.

Its like this, Sony is one of the few publishers that had current gen only games between Nov 2020 and June 2021.

(...they launched the PS5 with 2 current gen only games.......and had 2 more by June 2021....no matter how some try to dismiss the games)

PS5 only doesn't make them true next gen.

Next gen engines are taking forever to be updated. No point in limiting games on PS5 when they are made using ps4 tech.

Topher

Gold Member
The PS5 release schedule is worse than the PS4's in the first two years by my estimation.

The PS4 was must own on the strength of Infamous, Bloodborne and Until Dawn alone and thus far I can't think of a single Sony game I would buy the console for.

Gotcha. Wasn't sure if your post was just referencing the game lineup or not.

That's an oddly subjective take. I think objectively most people would say the first two years for PS5 have been at least on par with, if not stronger than, PS4's. PS4 may've had more non cross-gen exclusives but that doesn't mean they were better. I mean, I hate list wars but:

PS4

-Resogun
-Infamous: Second Son
-Driveclub
-Ultra SFIV
-Tearaway Unfolded
-Bloodborne
-Until Dawn

PS3

-Gran Turismo 6

PS5

-Demon's Souls Remake
-Gran Turismo 7
-Rachet & Clank: Rift Apart
-Returnal
-Horizon: Forbidden West
-Kena
-Sifu
-Destruction All-Stars

...and for the rest of the year GoW: Ragnarok, most likely FF XVI and Forspoken. Just objectively speaking that's at least on par with PS4's first two years; for some they'd say that it's better.

Also sure, some of these games are cross-gen but others aren't and for those that are, the current-gen versions should be the preferred way to play them if you can. It's also a bit different market this time vs. around start of last generation where industry-wide issues and real-world issues have impacted gaming to the point where we've seen more cross-gen 1P support than would have if otherwise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's an oddly subjective take. I think objectively most people would say the first two years for PS5 have been at least on par with, if not stronger than, PS4's. PS4 may've had more non cross-gen exclusives but that doesn't mean they were better. I mean, I hate list wars but:

PS4

-Resogun
-Driveclub
-Ultra SFIV
-Tearaway Unfolded
-Bloodborne
-Until Dawn

PS3

-Gran Turismo 6

PS5

-Demon's Souls Remake
-Gran Turismo 7
-Returnal
-Kena
-Sifu
-Destruction All-Stars

...and for the rest of the year GoW: Ragnarok, most likely FF XVI and Forspoken. Just objectively speaking that's at least on par with PS4's first two years; for some they'd say that it's better.

Also sure, some of these games are cross-gen but others aren't and for those that are, the current-gen versions should be the preferred way to play them if you can. It's also a bit different market this time vs. around start of last generation where industry-wide issues and real-world issues have impacted gaming to the point where we've seen more cross-gen 1P support than would have if otherwise.
Both are pretty comparable if you ask me.

Got your Souls genre.
Racing
AA type games
Shooter
Action/Adventure
etc

graywolf323

Nothing too useful here since

1- they didn’t include info for the years in between now and 2025

2 - MLB The Show was on PS3 until 2017

The question is will there be any cross gen games in 2023 besides MLB? We don’t know yet.
yep, I immediately thought of MLB when I saw this

Topher

Gold Member

PS4

-Resogun
-Driveclub
-Ultra SFIV
-Tearaway Unfolded
-Bloodborne
-Until Dawn

PS3

-Gran Turismo 6

PS5

-Demon's Souls Remake
-Gran Turismo 7
-Returnal
-Kena
-Sifu
-Destruction All-Stars

PS5 definitely has more for me this gen that the first 1.5 years of PS4. Infamous: Second Son was a great game, but between Ratchet and Clank, Spider-man:Miles Morales, and Horizon Forbidden West, it isn't even close.

skit_data

PS5 definitely has more for me this gen that the first 1.5 years of PS4. Infamous: Second Son was a great game, but between Ratchet and Clank, Spider-man:Miles Morales, and Horizon Forbidden West, it isn't even close.
Same here, PS4 was a CoD/Battlefield machine for me until Bloodborne released and from there it just snowballed.

PS5 has had really good exclusives from day 1, I’ve barely bought anything outside exclusives because it’s been so stacked.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
2025 is a bit more far away than what I would have guessed.

That said, the PS3 also was getting titles like Metal Gear Solid V or Persona 5 well past it's prime, so I guess this is normal.

Swift_Star

Banned

That is certainly a take.

ClosBSAS

ya thats why the pro consoles are coming out...3 more years of cross gen, by 2025 ps5 will have shity specs....and nvidia will have launched the 6090.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Two of those are PS4 games though. They should be counted in the last 1.5 years of the PS4, not the first 1.5 years of the PS5.

A more accurate comparison is:
- Killzone Shadowfall
- Knack
- Resogun
- Infamous
- Driveclub
- The Order
- Bloodborne

Until dawn wont release until August of 2015.

vs
- Demon Souls
- Astrobot
- Returnal
- Ratchet

In terms of overall quality, I think the PS5 lineup is better, but there is no doubt the PS4 had more games and far more graphically impressive (at the time) showpieces.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Two of those are PS4 games though. They should be counted in the last 1.5 years of the PS4, not the first 1.5 years of the PS5.

Those two games were just as much PS5 games as they were PS4 games. I bought and played those PS5 games on my PS5 so I count them as PS5 games.

CosmicComet

If those cross-gen games get counted as PS5 games then the PS4 gets to claim all the PS3 remasters it got in the first 2 years as well. Including the likes of Journey, GoW3 remastered and TLOU Remastered.

Seriously I don't see how this is a debate. One released Bloodborne in the first two years, which is a consensus as belonging to the ATG list. I don't think anyone seriously considers Forbidden West, Returnal or the new Ratchet entering that discourse.

And then we had The Order which was a friggin technical marvel that stayed among the top contenders visually the entire gen whereas nothing on the PS5 has been remotely close to as jaw dropping for its time.

GT7 might be the best looking PS5 game currently but honestly car games are expected to look great. And it's not even the best looking racer on the console market. Forza Horizon 5 with it's open world Mexico environments honestly trump it easily in detail.

So yeah, the PS5 has started with a whimper for me. And it's not even readily available.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Those two games were just as much PS5 games as they were PS4 games. I bought and played those PS5 games on my PS5 so I count them as PS5 games.
They will always move the goalposts. But then cheer on PC ports after one time bashing them. Then they’re not real PC games by their mental gymnastics warring logic.
Dog Love GIF

Topher

Gold Member
They will always move the goalposts. But then cheer on PC ports after one time bashing them. Then they’re not real PC games by their mental gymnastics warring logic.
Dog Love GIF

I don't get the mindset at all. This nonsense about cross-gen this or that is insane, imo. If I play The Last of Us on PS3 and love it then that was a great PS3 game. If I played The Last of Us Remastered on PS4 then that was a great PS4 game. Ultimately it is all subjective and people have their own favorites. At least, that is the way it should be. I have no problem with anyone disliking games I like as long as they actually played it. But this Tetris bullshit shifting games back and forth between platforms because they are in some cross-gen gray area is ridiculous. That is just a matter of shifting games to fit the agenda. Console warrior stupidity.

Buster Keaton The Blacksmith GIF by Maudit

Topher

Gold Member
Have you followed me very clearly stating I don't think it's must own console right now? Why would I want to own one right now? It not being readily available is just another knock on its launch.

That's fine, but your entire argument is conjecture. You are theorizing. Nothing more.

And no, I don't "follow" you at all. If you made such statement previously, I missed it. Oh well.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Of course he doesn't. He's a troll. Constantly bitching about sony. According to him, sonys 1st party is the worst its ever been. How can anyone take that seriously?
What, pray tell, is a troll about being unimpressed with Sony's output and messaging thus far?

Is it forbidden to have a dissenting opinion on the current state of Sony on this forum? Do I need to submit a PSN friend request to you for review, to prove my activity and that I'm not a 'green rat' as toxic fanboys like you would surely like to throw around?

Honestly, stop being a little bitch. Sony will be just fine if some people have criticisms for them.

They did great because of public pressure in the PS3 era and they can do great again.

CosmicComet

That's fine, but your entire argument is conjecture. You are theorizing. Nothing more.

And no, I don't "follow" you at all. If you made such statement previously, I missed it. Oh well.
You say this while you were the initial one to quote me in this very thread.

And the very post you quoted had me saying I don't see a single Sony game for the PS5 out right now that makes me want to get it.

'Conjecture'? 'Theorizing'? About what? I'm talking about existing line ups in the same time frame. You're not making sense.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You say this while you were the initial one to quote me in this very thread.

And the very post you quoted had me saying I don't see a single Son game for the PS5 out right now that makes me want to get it.

What part of "if you made such statement previously, I missed it. Oh well" did you not understand?

Top Bottom