• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lootcrate files for Chapter 11

zeorhymer

LA Times

Subscription box startup Loot Crate Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy with plans to sell itself after running low on cash.

The Los Angeles company ships curated fan boxes filled with “geek and gamer products” to subscribers each month, Chief Restructuring Officer Stuart Kaufman said in a court declaration filed in Wilmington, Del. The contents include figurines, shirts, gear, gadgets and limited-edition collectibles tied to science fiction, gaming, sports and pop culture. They’re shipped to more than 250,000 recurring subscribers, court papers show.

But the company is now in dire financial straits. Its credit-card processor is withholding customer billings, Loot Crate hasn’t shipped goods tied to $20 million in sales, and the company owes more than $30 million in trade debt, Kaufman said. It’s also behind on more than $5.87 million in sales taxes.
I've known people who bought some boxes and got a few nifty items. I never thought it was worth the stuff.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Loot Crate hasn’t shipped goods tied to $20 million in sales, and the company owes more than $30 million in trade debt, Kaufman said. It’s also behind on more than $5.87 million in sales taxes.

Wow, you really had to fuck up to end up like that. This is with the fact that the shit loot crates had overproduced merchandise that wasn't worth the full price. What were they blowing all the money on?

Literally the first thing I thought of.

Very Cool....
JQTK3uX.gif

DTU

Banned
Gah fuck. I hope they honor the 5 years of Lootcrate that I prepurchased for my best friend and mentor, Mr. Gadwell.

I subscribed to Loot Crate for a few months, but nothing was worth the price. It was $35 a month, and there's nothing that felt remotely close to being "worth it." I think the only thing I have around from those 4 or 5 boxes is a couple of magnets on my refrigerator. I think the idea of getting new geeky, or videogame-themed items every month is cool, the execution wasn't. Or maybe, the price for well-made items needed to be higher than the market would pay?

provides a more detailed story why they failed.

Expanded too fast on niche crates without much analysis beforehand thus thinning their own margins. Just lots of bad management decisions.

250k subscribers is actually not that impressive when you consider they've been around since 2012. I mean, they should be leveraging their initial success on securing more licensing deals because it's other companies' IP that'll make people subscribe, but I guess they didn't do that.

Deft Beck

A lot of Lootcrate stuff would end up at thrift stores or overstock places. Not surprising that they're going out of business.

kingwingin

I had a 6 month sub once, was cool to e
Get a little surprise box every month.

Shirts were tiny tho. Couldnt fit my BHM body

Nymphae

Banned
Yes please sign me up for another sub service that ships out low quality overstocked merchandise that I don't get to choose for myself. I saw a few of these boxes and it was always junk. Do you think they're going to send you out a box of awesome shit for less than what it cost? No, you're getting unsellable stuff, at a premium. Total bugman service for collecting useless trash.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably went like this:

1. Hey morons, sub to us monthly and get $50 worth of shit for only $40/month

2. Cost of goods only $35 so our company makes $5 per month! Multiply that by all the subs and that's big money!

3. But what about all the costs of overhead, office leases, warehousing, returns, marketing?

4. Oh shit, didn't think of that

these kind of things don't make a profit unless you literally ship millions or charge more. their subscription is cheap and they make no money off it unless they can ship so money the logistics kind of average out and they can set up more complex shipping methods and warehouses that make it cheaper.

I looked at their prices and I have no idea how they make money. it doesn't make any sense to ship tiny amounts of goods when shipping storage and other associated costs add up on small items more so than less but big items. its quite obvious why they failed.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I think going to thrift stores and finding loot that is truly valuable to you personally is a much better experience. At least my loot won't be generic like the other 250,000 subscriber.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Can Funko Pop be next please?
So long as idiots keep buying them they will keep existing. A shame there can't be a figure company that makes every character ever made just about cheap and affordable but they actually look like what they are supposed to instead of having those big soulless eyes.

sonic-blindbox.png

Kidrobot is no better but these were perfect for what they are. Why their Mega Man ones had to look shit is beyond me.
kidrobot-limited-edition-figures-kidrobot-mega-man-7-inch-mega-man-vinyl-figure-1.jpg

They should have been like these. Only Problem I have with them is that they are way too small. That and like the Sonic ones I posted they are in blind boxes.
13810a2a-f9c3-49fb-b3dc-ce13d4adb8db.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a Lootanime subscriber a few years ago. Decided to drop them cause I felt it wasn't worth the price. There are better subscription boxes out there.

I seen quite a few at cons.
Outside of maybe two cool shirts, the other stuff was manga series that were already available or cheap tchotchkes. Maybe a cute lil' figurine, but nothing was worth the full price of the loot box. Cons always use them as cheap blindbag items.

Last edited:
Top Bottom